• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Battlefront 2 players are ruining the game with rubber bands.

Gamezone

Gold Member
From Polygon:

The economy of Star Wars Battlefront 2 is based entirely around credits now that premium transactions have been removed from the game, and earning enough credits to buy the loot boxes to get the cards you need or to unlock the heroes you want can take a lot of time. So clever players have found physical ways to cheat the system.

While one player created a simple robot to keep their character moving in order to farm credits without being removed from the game due to inactivity, the same thing can be done by simply adding a few rubber bands to your controller.

You may be hurting your team’s chances at winning and annoying the rest of the players on the server, but this is the world EA and DICE have created. It feels weird to get angry at players who are trying to stretch what’s acceptable inside an economy that was this ill-conceived.

Just in case you want to ruin the game for others while earning enough credits to get whatever you want, this is how it’s done.

bandsbfw.jpg

Source: https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/24/16696870/star-wars-battlefront-2-economy-cheats

Steroyd

This would have happened regardless of if the pay to win option was still available because EA Dice decided to reward all players the same amount of credits in a match whether you get 50 kills in a match or zero.

So many ill conceived decisions surrounding the game despite the consensus being that the game is a step up gameplay and content wise.

Nikki Noxis

Neo Member
This was happening in For Honor not long ago, it still is to a lesser extent these days. It's just naturally what happens when you prioritize your game around loot crate rubbish.

DonF

Pay $60+ for this? To avoid the sense of pride and accomplishment? Gamers are weird.
I'm never buying this game

kingbean

I too find watching tv and checking the Internet more entertaining than playing battlefront 2.

I just took the easiest route and never bought it.

CSJ

I honestly thought this was going to be a thread about network related rubber-banding and it being blamed on players and not the recent discovery of people being connected to servers on the other side of the planet. (almost).

zenspider

This is a shame because the game itself is a blast.

I'm starting to hit the point (level 20-ish) where, if microtransactions were there, I'd be tempted, because I'm seeing all these great opportunities for builds and ideas for classes, but the organic progression is SO needlessly so.

Splatoon 2 big free updates are rolling out, and if I drop SWBII I don't see myself getting back in because of this.

Alx

It shouldn't be too hard to detect constant inputs and consider them to be inactive players.

Big Blue

This isn't really new. I definitely remember people doing this for GTA Online, since running is the only way to improve your stamina.

Human 2.0

Neo Member
I really hate what companies like EA, and the gamers that bought into the pay to win mechanic, have done to my beloved pass time.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Nothing new here, move along! This has been practiced for years. #polygon

Crazyorloco

Holy crap this is crazy lol

What a world we are living in. I haven’t purchased the game, and I don’t know If i would seeing all this. It’s a mess.

Any game that wants me to pay to not play isn’t a good game.

Mooreberg

Didn't someone do Nurburgring in Gran Turismo 4 using rubber bands? I honestly wonder if FPP bot farmers in PUBG do this. So many matches where there are 35 people left before the first circle is closed. :-\

But yeah, this is a byproduct of dysfunctional game design for it to actual be working in a multiplayer game.

Ubername

Banned
From Polygon:
Just in case you want to ruin the game for others while earning enough credits to get whatever you want, this is how it’s done.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but how does this crap not get deleted from the article? That's a pretty tasteless jab at people who are using their ingenuity (read: getting into the game) to get ahead in the mp. What an asshole you must have to be to write something like that.

Crazyorloco

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but how does this crap not get deleted from the article? That's a pretty tasteless jab at people who are using their ingenuity (read: getting into the game) to get ahead in the mp. What an asshole you must have to be to write something like that.

But think about those that actually play the game normally. It ruins the experience for those.

This is a game that rewards people by not playing it. And people are doing just that by buying shit to get ahead and using rubber bands lol I’m going to reward myself by not buying it. I hope things change for EA and the star wars games.

Ubername

Banned
But think about those that actually play the game normally. It ruins the experience for those.

This is a game that rewards people by not playing it. And people are doing just that by buying shit to get ahead and using rubber bands lol I’m going to reward myself by not buying it. I hope things change for EA and the star wars games.

Yeah I know. But that doesn't mean a gaming publication should shit on them in an article, I mean come on. It's just silly to read that type of thing bc it reads exactly like a forum post. I don't disagree that they're ruining the game for you.

But again the onus is on the devs for making a game that puts its dedicated playerbase in the position to do idiotic stuff like rubberband controllers to idly rank up

scitek

I remember reading about people doing something like this to cheat the 24-hour Le Mans races in Gran Turismo. They would pick a race that was like a Nascar track, and just lay something down on the X button and go to bed. The car would drive into the wall, but still complete the race because it was just an oval. Wake up, and you have a shit ton of credits from completing the event.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
This isnt a question about BF2 but the rubber band & controller sorta counts lol but in D2 when i hit L3 to run itll run 3 steps then walk all the fookin time but work's perfectly in every other game? So don't know if it's game or controller?

EA/Dice "ruined" the game that people have had to try this to accelerate progress.

Remember Turok had an achievement for team killing.

WaterAstro

A rubberbot lol.

This happens in a lot of games, though not with a rubber band.

In LoL, people have pretty complex afk bots. Hard to spot them sometimes.

I used the same short cut years ago, to get my stealth stat up in Oblivion. I spent about two hours crouch-walking into a wall.
I can understand this'd be more annoying in a PvP environment.

TeeDoff

Neo Member
I've seen a few AFK players, but no rubber banding...yet.

I've completed most challenges for credits now, outside of space combat and arcade mode, so the only way to get credits is the daily login crate (75-125) and the 150-350 for playing games... I can see the temptation.

cormack12

Gold Member
Jesus Christ - $60 to buy a new game that you tie up Your console with and tie rubber bands round a controller. What's wrong with people? For a characetr that will probably last a year.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If you have EA Access, play the 10 free hours. Game is fun.

Shame about loot boxes, but the core game is fun so far.

Agreed, what’s wrong with just playing the game? If you find it boring to unlock Darth Vader it probably isn’t for you anyway.

I do get that progression locked to loot boxes are shit, I really do, but so we really need to unlock everything? We can just craft what we want with crafting parts.

Top Bottom