• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 Microtransactions — How Bad Are They?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just curious about this — I like the Forza series and today is the last day the game is on sale at major outlets for Black Friday.

Many of the user reviews — which are overwhelmingly negative — mention how the game is structured around the “Prize Crates” and how it’s clearly a setup for when Microsoft/Turn 10 start selling the prize crates for actual money (Microsoft has confirmed this for the future). Unless this has already happened.

Bottom line is, I just can’t support a game with Lootboxes (that you can buy with real money and affect gameplay) anymore. It’s the reason I skipped on Shadow Of War, and many others this holiday.

How are the prize crates in this game? Is it pay-to-win and grindy? Or are people just overreacting?

bigace33

I lucked up and got the Ultimate edition for $35 in the BST Thread on release. I think that includes everything so I can avoid loot crap.

Golgo 13

I lucked up and got the Ultimate edition for $35 in the BST Thread on release. I think that includes everything so I can avoid loot crap.
Nice, what does that include? Car pass, VIP membership? Wasn’t there a controversy over the VIP pass too? This game has had a shitty launch lol

Golgo 13

I've managed to complete the game and didn't spend a single dollar on a prize crate.
Do you feel like they were always nudging you towards spending money? As in, did the system feel set up to steer you toward micro-bullshit?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
There are no microtransactions and you make enough money in the game to never need prize crates. All those give you are mods, cars that are cheaper when you buy them in the store and driver suits.

It was blown way out of proportion.

The controversy around it is absolutely a massive overreaction. Forza has always been, and still is, overly generous with credits and cars. I open boxes every now and then just out of boredom or from having extra credits left over, but not once have I ever felt as if there was an actual need to buy one.

The controversy around it is absolutely a massive overreaction. Forza has always been, and still is, overly generous with credits and cars. I open boxes every now and then just out of boredom or from having extra credits left over, but not once have I ever felt as if there was an actual need to buy one.

There was a huge overreaction but the game gives you less money, this in my opinion was a good thing because car collecting now is not as pointless as before where you got all the cars that you want within a week or so.

Clearly they modify some elements of the game to move you towards lootboxes and mods but actually I feel that it made the game more interesting. The only thing bad was the change of the VIP which they change back as it was before.

Critics and players rushed to talk shit about the game because the cars were locked in tiers but in 2 or 3 days of gameplay I had the 5 tiers unlocked.
There are several cars locked after that but you can get those over Forzathon, Special Dealership, Auction House and challenges, those are not locked in lootboxes. This is another thing that I like about the game, it makes things interesting and add replay value.
You can drive any car of the game in the free mode and multiplayer too.

So, overall there was a HUGE overreaction.

It was blown way out of proportion.

So, overall there was a HUGE overreaction.

Goddamn period.

I don't even know what all of "them" were crying about. It's there, and it never bothered me nor I was forced to buy a damn thing.

Games stunning on the X, and best in the series by far..upgraded car sounds and overall package in the sound department on track or in car..unreachable by any, they ballin on the different level.

You can mostly avoid the loot boxes. The return rate of good stuff from them is mostly garbage, anyway. Before they fixed VIP, you really needed at least a few mod cars to make a good credit return on each race.

But the biggest problem I have with Forza 7 is that an absolute metric effton of cars are locked behind the Speciality Dealer or Forzathons.

700 cars advertised...50 of which are dupes and another 100 that you can't actually own in your garage until the devs let you.

KKHN

Neo Member
I have no problem with it.
There are no cars locked behind lootboxes, you can buy (with not much game credits) just some mods for better payouts.
Also one week ago T10 has changed the system, now lootboxes are cheaper and with better mods.

There was a huge overreaction but the game gives you less money, this in my opinion was a good thing because car collecting now is not as pointless as before where you got all the cars that you want within a week or so.
Yeah, but at the same time the cars are cheaper. The Forza 7 economy system is more generous than Horizon 3, in my view.

Gek54

I was going after driver gear loot boxes before I got burned one too many times by getting duplicate after duplicate. They are fun when you have more credits then you would otherwise know what to do with. Now the specialty dealer cars have been eating up all my spare funds.

I do like the mod cards that add some nice side challenges to races. I have no idea how to trigger a perfect pass though.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The "loot boxes" in this game never felt bad to me.

The whole thing was that people complained that the things that used to give you a boost now we're only in the loot boxes. Well that's sort of true they have now made the increase in credits on turning up the difficulty of the AI much higher.

In my opinion it hasn't changed how I play the game at all and in fact I end up probably getting more Credits based on the assist that I do and do not use.

As stated, there are no microtransactions (unless you count post-release car DLC packs). I suppose eventually you'll be able to buy the crates for real money, but that isn't the case now and the game is clearly designed and balanced around the idea of not spending extra money, because literally nobody (including reviewers) is given the option to do so. So you can't seriously argue the microtransactions are bad, because they don't exist.

Admittedly I've only owned the game for a few days now, but as of now the boxes basically feels like Forza 6's mod crate system with the addition of new cosmetic outfits you can unlock for your driver. You could make a reasonable argument that the series needed some sort of credit sink -- I'm sitting on something like 20 million credits in Forza Horizon 3 right now, with very little I want to spend on -- and pure cosmetics like outfits fit that without compromising the game balance. You unlock cars the same way you did in previous Forza games, it hasn't affected the usual progression in any way.

I don't know how it was at launch, but right now the racing seems to hand out slightly more credits than I got in 6 and Horizon 3. Leveling speed seems on par too. I might be getting new cars slightly slower than in previous Forza games, but since getting cars through crates is extremely difficult (there's one option for car crate and it's hideously expensive) I assume that's a deliberate design decision on the part of Turn 10 to slow down car acquisition rather than push people towards nonexistent microtransactions. I still have plenty of toys to play with, and as always you can freely rent cars you don't own.

So while I'm not a fan of lootboxes, I cannot comprehend why anybody could get truly upset with the system in Forza 7. It's about as inoffensive as the mechanic can be, and it hasn't seemed to affect the usual Forza progression in any way.

(On the other hand I do understand the VIP complaints, but I guess they've worked on boosting that.)

In general it seems like a great game, I'm really happy I purchased it during this sale.

AU Tiger

None of the crate rewards I've seen have had any sort of actual competitive advantage they would offer in a race. So far, just race modifiers that can boost reward credits at the end of the race.

Some are pretty neat but I'm not really feeling like I NEED to use any or buy more crates for that matter.

None of the crate rewards I've seen have had any sort of actual competitive advantage they would offer in a race. So far, just race modifiers that can boost reward credits at the end of the race.

Some are pretty neat but I'm not really feeling like I NEED to use any or buy more crates for that matter.

There are some rare improvement mods like starting a race in a better position, but that's basically it. And this is only for racing against the AI, which can already be cheesed in all sorts of ways.

I'm also 95% positive these were in Forza 6, with the same acquisition method, and nobody cared.

sinnergy

Never used them... big overreaction if you ask me, but they that's people. Everything with what looks like lootboxes or #me2 is drama/soap/

MilkyJoe

I've not needed to even consider them, in fact they are so pointless the fact that they are there, in your face, is confusing. Why did they put them in their big 1X release game and get people all riled up?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Never used them... big overreaction if you ask me, but they that's people. Everything with what looks like lootboxes or #me2 is drama/soap/

It’s a Xbox exclusive game so let’s shit on it seems to be people’s take on it.

rjcc

It's the way it has been for the last few games -- there's an annoying tendency to put microtransaction-y stuff on initial menu screens, but you don't need to buy shit to get all the cars you want, or even the other cosmetic bits.

I think the hooks are there to add it later, but it's not something I've given any thought to.

GC_DALBEN

I played a lot and never spent a dollar, they never force you to buy it or shove it in your face, ppl just like do complain about everything.

amdb00mer

The game currently has no microtransactions unless they have enabled the "buy tokens feature".

There is currently no microtransactions in game, just loot boxes purchasable with in-game currency.
Exactly what SmartWaffles said. In-game currency only. To be honest with all the bad press from the VIP issue (which they fixed) and the current SWBF2 loot box shenanigans I don't expect them to turn them on until that stuff dies down, if at all.

LoveCake

The lootboxes in Forza 7 are not lootboxes really, they are just XP/Money multiplyers basically, you only need to buy the 20,000, 30,000, 50,000 MOD boxes to give you cards to earn more credits than you used to purchase the cards (lootbox) this is the same type of cards that were in Forza 6, the problem is when you buy the lootboxes to get a car or race-suit or icon that you keep trying to 'win'.

The main issue Forza 7 had at release was the VIP members, we were given cards that you could use to get Double Credits but you had five cars that gave you five uses each, in all other Forza games with VIP you just had Double Credits as a default, all the rage at launch was because of this as everyone who was into the Forza games had gone for the VIP edition that gave owners early access for three-four days and everyone who owned a copy was angry, myself included, there will be a time when you will be able to buy 'tokens' with real money to buy cars and upgrades like you have been able to in previous Forza games.

If you want to get around buying cars even the high priced ones, just get them leveling up, if you are VIP you can use the VIP cars to game the XP and level up in 90seconds.

AU Tiger

There are some rare improvement mods like starting a race in a better position, but that's basically it. And this is only for racing against the AI, which can already be cheesed in all sorts of ways.

I'm also 95% positive these were in Forza 6, with the same acquisition method, and nobody cared.

yeah Cheesing the AI is a staple of both forza and gran turismo for me. Literally no brakes going into turns. I'll let that AI car in front of me stop me and launch him off into the wall/dirt/grass while I casually drive away.

Edit: I wish the race multipliers were there though for not using the racing line, lowering the driving assists, etc. Am I correct that only increasing drivetar difficulty increases earnings if you don't use a mod card?

Top Bottom