• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 official Japanese twitter account and website thread

Zenaku

Ok, that new trailer is fantastic as well as interesting.

Seems like memories and the risk of losing them will be one of the primary dangers for blades. "When they return to their core, they lose their memories". Considering that losing one's memories pretty much equals dying, that should add quite some drama.

One character also says something in the vein of 'you cannot change the world like that!'. Makes me wonder if that relates to a bigger, overarching mission. Up till now, helping Pyea reach Elysium was the only task.

Ah, I can't wait. And pleeeease, Nintendo, have an anime series produced! The stuff seen in this trailer is already better than most random fantasy anime you get each season on Japanese tv. Would help strengthen the Xenoblade franchise, too :eek:
Well we know the titans are dying, and the landmass is reducing, presumably until theres nowhere left for humans to live. Going to Elysium is supposed to be the solution, but we know Takahashi, it won't be that simple.

Have the digital copy loaded on my switch, and Ive booked days off work. Thursday 1PM GMT can't come soon enough.

Well we know the titans are dying, and the landmass is reducing, presumably until theres nowhere left for humans to live. Going to Elysium is supposed to be the solution, but we know Takahashi, it won't be that simple.

Have the digital copy loaded on my switch, and Ive booked days off work. Thursday 1PM GMT can't come soon enough.

Speaking of titans ... i know that there's no connection, but still ... how cool would it be if at some point you get to explore the world beneatj the clouds to enter an ancient, long since dead titan that turns out to be Bionis and Mechonis :eek:

Would love to have this game digitally, but I need the collector's edition :)

czk51

Been a while since I've been this hyped for a game. I'm right on the last boss now of XC1 on my 3DS and hope to finish it today and will spend the rest of the week in quest cleanup. Will preload the game so I can play from midnight NZT.

RulkezX

How cam you play it Thursday at 1 ?

Zenaku

Speaking of titans ... i know that there's no connection, but still ... how cool would it be if at some point you get to explore the world beneatj the clouds to enter an ancient, long since dead titan that turns out to be Bionis and Mechonis :eek:

Would love to have this game digitally, but I need the collector's edition :)
I have the collectors edition on order too. More money than sense :x

How cam you play it Thursday at 1 ?
1PM Thursday will be 10PM in Japan, which is when the game will go live on the japanese eshop.

Just finished XC 1. I'm shaking.
Bring on 2! I'm really feeling it!

So happy fot you. X1 ends on such a high note - it's why I always wished for a direct sequel. Only downside is how Melia is kinda shoved aside in favor of 'childhood friend'. ;/

3 more days!

tkscz

She reminds me of Shiva in FF, design seems solid to me besides the need to add huge bouncy tittays but w/e

I can see where they were going with a more elegant design, but it all falls apart for me with the silly hair still and animal limbs.

kunonabi

A new blade was introduced, 'Tsuki'. Will probably trigger OldGAF ;)

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/935404359931740161

She's surely over-the-top, but I love the variety in designs that the many blades offer.

Yeah, there are a couple of them having little meltdowns and refusing to buy the game. Honestly, the variety of Blade designs is the only thing that is tempting me to actually give the game a shot at this point.

Nekster

I'm so glad we can talk about all aspects of the game in this thread and that this does not become something monothematic about sexualization like in other forums.

About designs the variety of blades is so big that i think it was to be expected a couple of them to be over the top. I don't think that would ruin the experience for anyone who was interested in the game.

I'm actually surprised that MonolithSoft went through the trouble to animate all those crazy designs. Tsuki is of more standard human shape, but others like the one with the ridiculous big arms on its head ... usually you'd only see something like that in still artworks.

Since skells are out, I'm now hoping that blades bring a lot of fun interactive abilities with them. We know about the white tiger that you can ride. Here's hope there are more 'out there' methods of traversal :eek:

Btw is someone making the OT for the game at release? :eek:

PS: Sigh, someone sent me this quote from the X2-thread over at the 'other' forum:
For far down the rabbit hole can this go? Until we literally see someone naked?

Omg ... naked people!! The horror. :D

Nekster

Both threads of the "other forum" are monothematic about oversexualized designs, yep.

Today we have an awesome preview by easy allies, per ex, but "big titties".

Flanders

Neo Member
Both threads of the "other forum" are monothematic about oversexualized designs, yep.

Today we have an awesome preview by easy allies, per ex, but "big titties".

It's truly a great preview and also spoiler free. I wanted to wait until I play more Skyrim but Xeno 2 is quite tempting right now due to the glowing previews.

Zenaku

I'm actually surprised that MonolithSoft went through the trouble to animate all those crazy designs. Tsuki is of more standard human shape, but others like the one with the ridiculous big arms on its head ... usually you'd only see something like that in still artworks.

Since skells are out, I'm now hoping that blades bring a lot of fun interactive abilities with them. We know about the white tiger that you can ride. Here's hope there are more 'out there' methods of traversal :eek:
I think I saw something in the new trailer, but I dont want to look any closer this close to release.

As I said earlier, their modelling team is getting lots of good practice, it'll be nice to see the payoff in future games.

jwillenn

my frothing demand...

I was going to listen to that preview, but the guy warned of spoilers. I've not watched anything following the previews from Ign, Gamespot, and Gamexplain with Darius (? Treehouse) that came in the same day. Everything else for me has been just blades and praise.

Didn't plan to pick this up but... Well, it's here now!

0M3gvEa.jpg

RPGCrazied

I wonder what the tech specs will be. 720p handheld with a dynamic 900p/1080p docked?

Seriously doubt this game can run native 1080p docked, when even Mario couldn't do that.

I received my copy early. It's good, but personally I found Xenoblade X to be more compelling. So far Xenoblade 2 isn't that compelling an RPG - for the first half a dozen hours or so you're basically left to follow the story via waypoints, and the pacing is all over the place. There are some great moments (but nothing to match the highs of the previous games' openings so far) but there are also a lot of cutscenes devoted to rather rudimentary events. Hoping it picks up soon. It's definitely good enough that I'm happy to keep playing it, but it's yet to have its hooks in me in the same way Xenoblade and X quickly did.

Rex and Nia are fun characters, the dialogue is often entertaining. Gramps is a more fun mascot than I expected. Nia's BLADE surprised me - a Tiger that can climb vertical surfaces when need be! How cool is that?

I wonder what the tech specs will be. 720p handheld with a dynamic 900p/1080p docked?

Seriously doubt this game can run native 1080p docked, when even Mario couldn't do that.

The tech in this game is leagues ahead of Xenoblade X. Lighting, shadows, shaders are all modern, there's volumetric lighting and what appears to be physically based rendering, there's temporal antialiasing, there's soft shadows, HDR transitions, cel shaded character outlines and lighting, SSAO and so on. All in an open world game. Interiors are also very detailed.

But it comes at a cost.

Resolution is similar to DOOM. I pixel counted some screenshots I took of the game.

It's 720p maximum with temporal antialiasing in docked mode and it falls below in open areas. HUD is 720p.
It's 540p maximum with temporal antialiasing in handheld mode but it often falls below this. The lowest I've seen looks in the ballpark of 400p.

So expect a very soft image free of jaggies, but the low resolution in handheld mode often means things are rather blurry...

Docked:
cx77K85.jpg

Undocked:
CnTCA1t.jpg

Docked:
xlGS25C.jpg

Undocked:
c9or993.jpg

Docked:
yRocKCv.jpg

Undocked:
kmbR2os.jpg

Usually the resolution differences are enough to make the game appear the same switching between playing on a 6" screen in your hands to larger TV/monitor at a distance, but I think at times the dynamic resolution scaling in Xenoblade 2 is so aggressive that it's just noticeably blurry on the handheld screen.

czk51

Just under 13 hours until reviews (I believe it's about then that the reviews threads start). Game goes live for me in just under 11 hours.

kunonabi

I received my copy early. It's good, but personally I found Xenoblade X to be more compelling. So far Xenoblade 2 isn't that compelling an RPG - for the first half a dozen hours or so you're basically left to follow the story via waypoints, and the pacing is all over the place. There are some great moments (but nothing to match the highs of the previous games' openings so far) but there are also a lot of cutscenes devoted to rather rudimentary events. Hoping it picks up soon. It's definitely good enough that I'm happy to keep playing it, but it's yet to have its hooks in me in the same way Xenoblade and X quickly did.

Rex and Nia are great characters, the dialogue is often entertaining. Gramps is a more fun mascot than I expected. Nia's BLADE surprised me - a Tiger that can climb vertical surfaces when need be! How cool is that?

The tech in this game is leagues ahead of Xenoblade X. Lighting, shadows, shaders are all modern, there's volumetric lighting and what appears to be physically based rendering, there's temporal antialiasing, there's soft shadows, HDR transitions, cel shaded character outlines and lighting, SSAO and so on. All in an open world game. Interiors are also very detailed.

But it comes at a cost.

Resolution is similar to DOOM. I pixel counted some screenshots I took of the game.

It's 720p maximum with temporal antialiasing in docked mode and it falls below in open areas. HUD is 720p.
It's 540p maximum with temporal antialiasing in handheld mode but it often falls below this. The lowest I've seen looks in the ballpark of 400p.

So expect a very soft image free of jaggies, but the low resolution in handheld mode often means things are rather blurry...

The story being more typical modern anime/shounen was the primary reason i never took an interest. The first xenoblade had a similar approach but the pacing and cutscene direction elevated it for the first 2/3 of the game. XC2 never seemed to show off anything on that level fron the trailers. Hopefully, it just inverts things and actually gets better as it goes.

czk51

Update is available,

https://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/answers/detail/a_id/34939/p/8664

Crude google translate copy / paste (not my words!)

The function of "event theater" was added.
You can always see the event scene you saw.
Saved data advanced to the event scene is necessary.
We added the function to receive delivery items of expansion pass.
When you download the expansion pass, the item "Expansion Pass" is added to the main menu, and you can receive delivery items.
The main menu opens by pressing the + button during play.
We adjusted game balance.
In addition, I fixed some problems so that you can enjoy the game comfortably.

Zenaku

Event theater, to watch cutscenes you've already seen, as well as items from the expansion pass and general fixes.

Only just under 7 hours and I'll be playing it myself, can't wait.

Top Bottom