• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita vs 3DS

Just basing that on launch software. It's possible that a couple of first party games (Mario 3DS) will pack a good value proposition, but a lot of them, even first party games like Steel Diver, Pilotwings etc are insanely light on content.

Starfox is a very slightly improved port of an N64 game, same with Zelda, and Mario Kart doesn't seem like it has much content either. So no, I don't think you're getting a great value if you played the past versions atleast. It's a cash grab more than anything.

F#A#Oo

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
Are we arguing about what Vita provides that contributes to the industry? Because the 3DS has revolutionized this industry by adding things that should have been there from the very beginning.

The Vita introduces multi-touch to the gaming-centric handheld industry. Just because Nintendo popularized it does not mean that the companies that are taking it out of the ghetto don't deserve a pat on the back. I'm seeing competitive pricing, superior gameplay potential, and superior graphics potential. At this point, the only thing that you couldn't possibly get with the Vita are 3D and Nintendo games.

Personally I think Sony have promoted the Vita wrong from the get go...

What they should have done is shown us a tech demo of what they plan on having people use the Vita for as a design philosophy type thing (show us ways on how to use the touchscreen in interesting ways)...instead we got Uncharted a very deep and console-centric game with tacked on touch controls...but that tells me that they don't understand that the majority of people who buy into handhelds are in it for a different experience to their console.

Patapon...Lumines...LocoRoco...Half a Minute Hero...these are the games that made playing PSP great...

GameSeeker

The mistake is thinking that the mobile gaming battle is 3DS vs. Vita. That is absolutely not the case for this generation.

More hours of mobile gaming (I said hours, not dollars) will be spent on smartphone and tablet gaming than 3DS + Vita combined.

Sony understands this. This is why they are pitching PlayStation Suite at Android platforms (smartphones and tablets), while being very careful to make sure the Vita can offer a gaming experience no phone or tablet can easily match.

Both Sony and Nintendo will lose sales to the phone/tablet makers if they can't truly differentiate their product. Most of the major game development houses are developing for the iOS and Android platforms. So this generation will be a multi-way battle.

basically I think, 3DS won't sell as much unit as DS while PSV will actually pull a surprising number, more than PSP. under the condition that the market for dedicated handheld device remain the same. if mobile games and tablet games are really that disruptive, both 3DS and PSV will see reduced unit sales.

Snaku

Banned
Media Molecule is not developing LBP on Vita. Who else? The A-teams are Naughty Dog, Sucker punch, Insomniac, Team ICO, Media Molecule, Santa Monica, thatgamecompany... Guerrilla even. When I see even one of these teams on PSV I'll be convinced

The console being "much more important than PSV" is entirely the wrong attitude. If Sony has that attitude, how can they expect 3rd parties or fans to think differently?

That's the problem I had with the PSP. Sure it had some of Sony's biggest franchises (God of War, R&C , Killzone, Jak & Dexter, LBP, etc.), but they were always farmed out to "lesser" studios. Some did a fine job, but they never felt like the real deal to me. When Sony stops treating the PSP/PSV as a second class citizen, and puts the AAA teams to work on PSV titles, I'll be satisfied.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm not a handheld guy per say.

I'm not buying a 3DS, I am buying a Vita.

Is this where I'm supposed to be casting my vote?

Izayoi

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
Starfox is a very slightly improved port of an N64 game, same with Zelda, and Mario Kart doesn't seem like it has much content either. So no, I don't think you're getting a great value if you played the past versions atleast. It's a cash grab more than anything.
Are you joking? You own a 3DS, did you watch the Starfox trailer?

It looks lightyears better than the N64 version. Incredible improvement.

Online multiplayer and a whole host of other additions make it a great value, even for those who have played the original to death (like myself). I can't fucking wait.

Stephen Colbert said:
Just basing that on launch software. It's possible that a couple of first party games (Mario 3DS) will pack a good value proposition, but a lot of them, even first party games like Steel Diver, Pilotwings etc are insanely light on content.

I've no love for ports, but Kid Icarus is shaping up nicely and Mario Kart will give people hours and hours of entertainment. Probably one of the most played games on either 3DS or Vita.

Anyway, one could just as easily say that you're not getting great value if you've played past versions of Uncharted, Wipeout, or LBP. I won't say that though because it's silly, and we don't know much about any of the unreleased games.

I'll buy a vita because I don't have a HDTV, PS3 or Xbox 360 so it'll be my first go at high quality gaming.

The 3DS has a future if they lower the price and push the gaming possibilities by using the 3D and Wii U connection.

Negator

Izayoi said:
Are you joking? You own a 3DS, did you watch the Starfox trailer?

It looks lightyears better than the N64 version. Incredible improvement.

Online multiplayer and a whole host of other additions make it a great value, even for those who have played the original to death (like myself). I can't fucking wait.

I downloaded all of the 3DS videos and they all impressed the hell out of me.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
StuBurns said:
They had them on N64 and GC too. It's hardly a guarantee.
I keep saying this, over and over again, and no one seems to listen. :p

Nintendo software sales extremely well with the userbase they've built. I have my doubts that an unappealing $250 handheld will be magically more appealing with Mario thrown in the mix.

Now, a $150 handheld...that's where things might change. But that's not happening anytime soon.

ziran

Also, Sony selling their system for such a loss is a very dangerous move imo. Great for consumers, potentially very damaging to them as a company.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Look, both these devices have been competing against that supposes market. The problem with smart phones and such is that they aren't as focused and lack the quality SW that Nintendo and SOny have. Of course there are some neat and caliber games on those devices but they are needle in a haystack with as much junk that you find on there.

Now what Nintendo and Sony have done is put in features to compete with the smart phones, especially Sony with PS Suite. Ultimately you can rationalize to why these 2 handhelds may not be as successful due to the current market BUY you can't argue that it's all about the games and they will far outclass these other devices it's not even worth comparing.
I don't believe handheld gaming, in the Vita/3DS sense is particularly important to most people, and I mean a lot of people who own DS or PSP. Gaming was something they did on these devices to pass the time. Their time is now a being taken up will other things (social networking, surfing the net, email, talking, etc) on other mobile devices. Why do they need another device?

Both systems will have an decent sized audience and overall sales wise it could be close, maybe... But Nintendo has the potential of having the price advantage, has much stronger IPs and strong internal development for wide ranging, big selling sw, so I'd say 3DS will likely end up selling more.

-PXG-

Stephen Colbert said:

Fucking EL OH EL

EDIT

Oh, and Nintendo, you cocksuckers, you BETTER make a F-Zero game for 3DS, or else someone is getting their knee caps busted in their sleep. Got it? Good.

There is one major advantage one the side of nintendo and sony. Battery Life, the iphone and android phones have decent batteries, more or less. This is decent when just doing regular things like texting and the occasional web browsing. If you throw in something as heavy as gaming into the formula you cut the battery down more then a half. The PSV and 3DS have the advantage of being made as gaming devices first, so people won't have to worry about not using all their battery because they still need the device to text as they would with a cellphone.

And second is controls. I don't know about you but fruit ninja is a neat game on the iphone I admit, but I cannot imagine playing god of war on my cellphone. I need a lot more then just a plain touchscreen with buttons overlaid. As long as games like bioshock and potentially elder scrolls come to the handhelds there is no need to worry about cellphones taking over.

ziran said:
Also, Sony selling their system for such a loss is a very dangerous move imo. Great for consumers, potentially very damaging to them as a company.

You realise they've done this with every Playstation system they've released.

Snaku

Banned
Napoleonthechimp said:
God damn Konami... I refuse to use that "word".

AQkp8.gif

StuBurns

Banned
chubigans said:
I keep saying this, over and over again, and no one seems to listen. :p

Nintendo software sales extremely well with the userbase they've built. I have my doubts that an unappealing $250 handheld will be magically more appealing with Mario thrown in the mix.

Now, a $150 handheld...that's where things might change. But that's not happening anytime soon.
I personally think the 3DS will outsell the PSV comfortably, but neither will do as well as their previous iterations did.

klee123

In terms of sales not even close

Thhe Iphone/Ipad will beat both lol.

Japan wise, it depends 3DS will probably win in the end, but I think the Vita very well too. If Vita can play games via ad hoc with PSP, it makes the Vita a good natural progression.

BadWolf

I'm really interested in the outcome, to see if a system that is doing so many things right (the Vita) can fail.

ZZMitch

3DS is the superior device, in my eyes. If only for the amazing game library that it will undoubtedly have. Nintendo's 1st party line up alone will make it the better handheld, at least for me.

Now that the Vita is 250$, however, I may have to pick it up as well. I dunno though, because buying a PSP was one of the worst gaming purchases I have ever made. I don't want to do that again.

I also feel like I won't be getting the full experience of the Vita if I don't own the PS3. For example, a game like Uncharted is catered to those that have played the series on consoles. I won't really be able to enjoy it because I don't own a PS3. But maybe that is just me.

I don't really give a shit about graphics on a handheld system. That's what a 50" high def screen is for.

So with that in mind, I'm personally more interested in the 3DS. It has the potential to offer far more unique experiences that the Vita and it has Nintendo games. The Vita will mostly just offer PS3 games on a tiny screen. I'm more interested in unique and fun gameplay experiences.

But really, I'm not into portable gaming. Never found much use for it. I'm not so addicted to games that I need to be playing a video game everywhere I go.

klee123

StuBurns said:
I personally think the 3DS will outsell the PSV comfortably, but neither will do as well as their previous iterations did.

3DS will have a even bigger drop ratio wise thanks to the existance of the Iphone and Ipad. This ain't 2004 anymore. Times have changed.

I also find it hillarious that people claim that the 3DS will have "unique" experiences when the hyped games are basically rehashes of old 64 games and PS2 ports.

plufim said:
The price of games and the storage cards for Vita is an unknown factor that could have an effect.

I'm pretty sure I read recently that Vita games will cost $40. But are developers going to be able to make much of a profit at that price given the development cost that will be required to make Vita games?

I'm surprised this is a serious discussion. If we all learned anything last generation, it's this: Don't bet against Nintendo.

In all seriousness, I'm not sold on either. But if I had to bet my life on it, Pokemon+Mario Kart is going to push 3DS way over the top.

I'd be more worried about the next ten years bankrupting Sony, if they're planning on taking massive hits on PSV and PS4. PS3 alone wiped out PS and PS2 profits.

ajim

Vita will be the first Sony console I buy at launch, and I'm pretty excited about that. Actually, very excited.

And I'm waiting for a 3DS redesign.

plufim

klee123 said:
I also find it hillarious that people claim that the 3DS will have "unique" experiences when the hyped games are basically rehashes of old 64 games and PS2 ports.
Saying Mario Kart 3DS is a rehash of Mario Kart 64 is just as valid as saying Uncharted Vita is a rehash of Uncharted 1/2.

StuBurns

Banned
klee123 said:
3DS will have a even bigger drop ratio wise thanks to the existance of the Iphone and Ipad. This ain't 2004 anymore. Times have changed.
If you mean it will lose more ground than the PSV will, but still have the larger install base, I agree.

Riposte

It's funny because Nintendo just doesn't give a fuck about fzero, yet here is Sony pimping out Wipeout for an entire generation and now with the Vita. Fuck even Microsoft showed that shitty Star Wars game that had podracing in it.

Clunker

Gravijah said:
Clamshell design. The best design.
A clamshell design is great for protecting your screens ... too bad I had to jury-rig a home solution to keep the 3DS screens from rubbing against each other. :/

I suppose that war never changes. I'll just be happy owning both handhelds (and an iPhone) and enjoy being able to choose any game that suits my fancy instead of having to bury my head in the sand or repeat endless talking points about System X or Game Y.

One thing I'll never understand, though, is how people can say the Vita has nothing but console downports 1) as if that's true, 2) as if that's not also true of the 3DS, and 3) as if console-style games are bad. Looking at the 3DS upcoming library, the games I'm looking forward to most are console "downports": Super Mario, Mario Kart, Resident Evil: Mercenaries, Bit.Trip Saga, StarFox 64. I've put 35+ hours into SSFIV 3D and I thought everyone generally considered that the best, most successful launch title. And I'm not really a fan of these, but people don't seem to complain about OoT or the upcoming Smash Bros. being console ports/iterations.

onQ123

The Big Difference this time around is.

DS was something almost totally new to it's market , 3DS isn't that new to the 150 Million people that already have a DS.

PSP costed more than the DS & all it really had to offer was better graphics & multimedia functions. DS gave people a new way to play games , this time around PS Vita is the same price as the 3DS with better Graphics & the Vita is the handheld that's giving people a new way to play & it's the one with the better interface this time & with the controls almost any type of game can be made for the system.

3DS still has DS's biggest advantage & that is Nintendo software & not much can take that away but from the looks of things Vita will be easy to develop for & games from all different platforms can easily be made for Vita without the devs breaking the bank trying to make a game just for the Vita that might not make the money back, so it should see a pretty good software lineup itself.

Top Bottom