• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is anyone recently getting prompted to add security questions to their Apple ID when trying to buy something? I am, and out of the five premade questions they ask (of which you must answer three), I only know the answer to one.

Is there a way to bypass this, or ask my own questions?
There are actually 15 questions, each of the three alternatives differs. Also no, you have to fill them in and a recovery email to be able to purchase new apps from here on in. Apple recently started rolling out these beefed up security measures.

mrkgoo

There are actually 15 questions, each of the three alternatives differs. Also no, you have to fill them in and a recovery email to be able to purchase new apps from here on in. Apple recently started rolling out these beefed up security measures.

I think the recovery email is optional.

GeekyDad

This is a little off topic but still related to iOS - are there any other free and interesting iPad magazines/newspapers besides Engadget Distro? I'm primarily interested in games and/or tech magazines, but I'll try most topics if they're free and intersting to read.

I have Pulse on my phone. You can get feeds for just about any type of news, but I have mine set for three gaming feeds. My only issue with the app is that you can only select from the news feeds they have listed. That being said, the interface is really well designed.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have Pulse on my phone. You can get feeds for just about any type of news, but I have mine set for three gaming feeds. My only issue with the app is that you can only select from the news feeds they have listed. That being said, the interface is really well designed.

No, you can add custom RSS feeds in Pulse, Cogwheel > Add Feed > Search > enter direct URL to .xml feed or keyword for the site you're looking for, then Add. :)

sladeums

As someone who has never played a CRPG, is Avadon a good entry game to the genre or should I wait for Balder's Gate (if that is any easier)?

Of their two IOS games, Avadon and Avernum, this is arguably the "easiest" ... but if you're not already a genre fan some of the more old school qualities of the game may well feel outdated for you as opposed to invoking nostalgia.

I would suggest downloading the PC or Mac demo, to check it out and see what you think of it if you're unsure.
http://www.spidweb.com/avadon/

GeekyDad

No, you can add custom RSS feeds in Pulse, Cogwheel > Add Feed > Search > enter direct URL to .xml feed or keyword for the site you're looking for, then Add. :)

Cool. Thanks for that FYI. They have some decent sites already listed, but there were some others I was hoping to add as well.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm glad it wasn't just me. I want to go back and give it another shot, but it made me question if I was the one that was all wrong, considering all the lavish praise Spiderweb RPGs get.

I think it's a case of the thirsty man in the desert being grateful for a glass of piss...

Woohoo, now we even do iOS gaming negativity in the iOS gaming thread!

Joy.

I just jumped in. I want to hear every news be positive!
I know I am SLTTP, but Sworcery is amazing and Aquaria is incredible. I am enjoying every second with those games. Infinity Blade 2 is technically glorious and the Sam and Max episodes give me hope for adventure games in general. I've been an apple user for 3 days and I am pretty satisfied.

bubnbob

Banned
Also the Broken Sword games (remastered / Director's Cut) are classics, of course

If you like Sam & Max, then pick up their Tales of Monkey Island series. You can also take a stop and pick up the remastered Monkey Island 1 & 2 from Lucasarts

Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2 are also available

wilflare

the editor of Toucharcade.com, @hodapp would like to come on NeoGAF
his nick is io_burn, anyone mod/admin i can contact to speed up his activation?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
the editor of Toucharcade.com, @hodapp would like to come on NeoGAF
his nick is io_burn, anyone mod/admin i can contact to speed up his activation?

That's the guy who praises anything, even the shittiest game, on his site. I've also heard horrors from people who visit TA and get their comments erased if they are "negative".

yogloo

Can anyone recommend me good "creation" games for a seven year old boy? Like something that involves building or customizing.

My little brother has been playing the lite version of Minecraft and is enjoying it, but the price of the full version is a little steep for me.

How about the incredible machine?
I used to love that game.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just jumped in. I want to hear every news be positive!
I know I am SLTTP, but Sworcery is amazing and Aquaria is incredible. I am enjoying every second with those games. Infinity Blade 2 is technically glorious and the Sam and Max episodes give me hope for adventure games in general. I've been an apple user for 3 days and I am pretty satisfied.

Yeah! You have good taste m'man :) EDIT: Of course you have good taste, that's an Anachronox avatar :p You might also enjoy Waking Mars and Lost Winds for more of that Metroidvania goodness. Incoboto is a neat puzzle platformer in a similar vein as well.

There is loads of awesome stuff out there. I feel sometimes like this thread is a strong river, constantly pushing us downstream, and the games are like salmon, jumping past us. You grab one or two but so many slip past, and by the time you're finished playing what you have, you've missed a dozen gems.

I realise that I stretched that metaphor too far and it may have snapped.

But yes, games, awesome!

I'm currently playing Swordigo and loving it, did not expect the game to be quite so charming. It's like Zelda 2! Also re-hooked on League of Evil 2, that is the next game that my backlog clearance has targted. It's so damn good, I can't believe I only played a few levels before moving on.

Also the Broken Sword games (remastered / Director's Cut) are classics, of course

If you like Sam & Max, then pick up their Tales of Monkey Island series. You can also take a stop and pick up the remastered Monkey Island 1 & 2 from Lucasarts

Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2 are also available

As a testament of my adventure liking, I have played all of those games already :) (in non apple systems)

GeekyDad

That's the guy who praises anything, even the shittiest game, on his site. I've also heard horrors from people who visit TA and get their comments erased if they are "negative".

I spend a lot of time over there now that I am gaming regularly on my phone, and I haven't seen any issues like that. I tend not to be a douche bag when developers give me free shit, but I do give honest feedback. Of course, I've been accused (here) of being a marketer merely for giving positive feedback, so it cuts both ways. I get pretty pissed when I get screwed by a game, but I also get equally excited when I feel a game goes above and beyond (hence my screen name -- I'm a fucking neeeeeeeeeeeerd). Discussion on TA seems to have a lot of both. To be honest, I've seen other users be quite candid, and no one's ever tried to suppress their comments.

So for the jukebeat players - so far they're sticking with their 2 week update cycle. Today's update is - Duran Duran!

The Reflex ( 2 / 5 / 7 )
Ordinary World ( 2 / 5 / 8 )
All You Need Is Now ( 2 / 5 / 8 )
Girl Panic! ( 2 / 5 / 8 )

Pastry

Banned
I spend a lot of time over there now that I am gaming regularly on my phone, and I haven't seen any issues like that. I tend not to be a douche bag when developers give me free shit, but I do give honest feedback. Of course, I've been accused (here) of being a marketer merely for giving positive feedback, so it cuts both ways. I get pretty pissed when I get screwed by a game, but I also get equally excited when I feel a game goes above and beyond (hence my screen name -- I'm a fucking neeeeeeeeeeeerd). Discussion on TA seems to have a lot of both. To be honest, I've seen other users be quite candid, and no one's ever tried to suppress their comments.

I think TouchArcade is slowly trying to change their image and maturing along with the ios
app store. At the beginning their reviews were pretty bad and they were handing out high scores like candy but the iOS scene was much different then. It seems like they are trying a lot harder to be a legitimate gaming site now and not just treating it like an iOS blog.

SmokyDave

I can honestly say I've visited Touch Arcade less than a handful of times. Nothing against the site, it's just that between GAF and checking the app store myself, there's no room. Also, I never read reviews, regardless of format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom