• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Really? Design wise they were fundamentally different from the rest of the campaign spaces. You could arrive at an MP crossover map in Reach's campaign and know it would be a multiplayer crossover map without ever having played on it.

I meant in how they suck. It was more a joke than anything.

Hx1RC.jpg
Guardian Remake confirmed for PAX Prime.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
In the First Look vidoc you guys mentioned not ripping maps out of campaign but instead building them from the ground up for multiplayer. I always felt like that was a bit of a jab at Reach because a lot of people thought the maps were taken from campaign.

It's not a jab at Reach, it's the same clarification I have given every time this comes up. We are approaching them as standalone efforts, rather than trying to have them serve dual purpose.

Whether you're a fan or not, I actually really enjoyed the empowerment and Deja Vu of Reflection.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
In the First Look vidoc you guys mentioned not ripping maps out of campaign but instead building them from the ground up for multiplayer. I always felt like that was a bit of a jab at Reach because a lot of people thought the maps were taken from campaign.

I saw it as, "people think Reach maps came from campaign, let's just clear the air right away for Halo 4"

I can see why people would think maps came from campaign after getting Reach. I would imagine most people play campaign first. Then they play MP and say, "hey, this map is from campaign!"

TheOddOne

It is a jab at Reach.

Edit: I guess I was wrong.

nbraun80

It's not a jab at Reach, it's the same clarification I have given every time this comes up. We are approaching them as standalone efforts, rather than trying to have them serve dual purpose.

Whether you're a fan or not, I actually really enjoyed the empowerment and Deja Vu of Reflection.

That's greatly appreciated and like I said earlier the one map we've seen a little of so far (wraparound), looks wonderful. can't wait to see others.

Just don't make half the maps with gray blocks in forge world and I'll be happy.

Tashi

All I know about Reflection is that my grenades get stuck in the woodwork.

My grenades get stuck on every fucking map. I tried to throw a grenade off the streets on Zealot the other day and it just stuck to the wall like a plasma, I was so fucking mad

Tashi

At one point Ivory Tower was my favorite H2 map. Then I got good at Halo and realized it was broken. Too many power weapons.

GhaleonEB

Knowing every inch of the map before you fire a single shot. Felt oddly comfortable.

And as you thread the carefully designed movement routes you know so well, take a hailstorm of fire from jetpackers. That's how long the nostalgia lasted with me, at least.

Boneyard happened. One too many spawns next to detonating Warthogs and into DMR cross fires. I literally hit the power button out of reflex, the sort of reaction you have when you want something horrible to get way from you as you recoil in horror. Not classy, genuinely sorry. Had a crazy long intense day and just couldn't take it.

This is the funniest reagequit post I've read in recent memory.

It's all fun and games in Reach until you go into the actual MP.

GhaleonEB

AA's ruined every map.

Yes.

Question for 343 I which hope they address at some point. They've said maps are being designed with sprint in mind, since it's a base trait now. That is good.

How are maps being designed for jetpacks? I've never played a map on Reach made better for them; they simply let player bypass the intended movement routes and sight lines. I tried mightily to make the maps I built in Forge accomodate them and failed; in the end I just removed them from the loadouts for custom games. I really want to know how 343 will compensate for this. One possible (partial) solution is to alter the functionality of the jetpack, making it a jump pack.

Havok

Boardwalk - is an enjoyable 4v4 or 5v5 Slayer, 1-Flag or 1-Bomb map. It's pretty solid but maybe not spectacular. It should never have been forced into BTB. The map is really consistent with good settings.
Blue side Slayer is terrible (Red snipe is immune to blue off spawn because of the foliage and guardrail structure), objective placement is asinine. Stand in this killing field for ten seconds, bomb guy. Hope no grenades rain down!
At one point Ivory Tower was my favorite H2 map. Then I got good at Halo and realized it was broken. Too many power weapons.
It was meant for round based attack/defend gametypes, effectively splitting that power weapon count per team in two. Short rounds and that map split meant that it didn't suffer from the power weapon cycle that other maps do. It was never a great Slayer map, though.

Homeboyd

I'm trying to understand the return of the jetpack. It appears that most everyone agrees that the jetpack destroys the flow of maps. AL was hated and it was cut, I'm trying to find out what good the jetpack returning will do...

Limiting it to customs for the "fun-factor" is one thing.. but I doubt they would implement an AA for that purpose only. Any idea why it would return in a Matchmaking setting?

Edit: Ghal'd

kylej

Banned
Yes.

Question for 343 I which hope they address at some point. They've said maps are being designed with sprint in mind, since it's a base trait now. That is good.

How are maps being designed for jetpacks? I've never played a map on Reach made better for them; they simply let player bypass the intended movement routes and sight lines. I tried mightily to make the maps I built in Forge accomodate them and failed; in the end I just removed them from the loadouts for custom games. I really want to know how 343 will compensate for this.

Halo 4 is going to have waaaaaaaay more additional variables to consider than Reach ever had with its armor abilities. Balance and map design in Halo 4... I dunno. I will say nothing.

That's the day when I weep profusely.

Bots in Perfect Dark ruled. It'd be fun as hell to try playing a bot team of 4 against a group of friends in customs.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yes.

How are maps being designed for jetpacks? I've never played a map on Reach made better for them; they simply let player bypass the intended movement routes and sight lines. I tried mightily to make the maps I built in Forge accomodate them and failed; in the end I just removed them from the loadouts for custom games. I really want to know how 343 will compensate for this. One possible (partial) solution is to alter the functionality of the jetpack, making it a jump pack.

To note, we still actually don't know what the jetpacks are. I could still see the possibility of them not being Reach jetpacks, but more booster packs for extending jumps, etc. Not for flying around the top of a map.

GhaleonEB

To note, we still actually don't know what the jetpacks are. I could still see the possibility of them not being Reach jetpacks, but more booster packs for extending jumps, etc. Not for flying around the top of a map.

You might not have caught the late edit, though it made your quote - but that is my hope as well.

Yes.

How are maps being designed for jetpacks? I've never played a map on Reach made better for them; they simply let player bypass the intended movement routes and sight lines. I tried mightily to make the maps I built in Forge accomodate them and failed; in the end I just removed them from the loadouts for custom games. I really want to know how 343 will compensate for this.
If the Jetpack makes its return in Halo 4, I hope it will not be the same as his counterpart in Reach. You nailed it already: Jetpack breaks the flow. And it will always do it, so long it is optional. I prefer it to be a thruster pack. It gives you a small additional boost to your jump, nothing more. Perfect.

And you edited your post and so my post is utter bullshit because I'm saying the same as you.

Blue side Slayer is terrible, objective placement is asinine. Stand in this killing field for ten seconds, bomb guy. Hope no grenades rain down!

I always thought that overlook (the place where sniper spawns for red team) would be a better spot for the flag or bomb arm spot. It's a pretty open spot but it's still defendable when you work together as a team.

Havok

I always thought that overlook (the place where sniper spawns for red team) would be a better spot for the flag or bomb arm spot. It's a pretty open spot but it's still defendable when you work together as a team.
I agree. I believe Duncan's variant has it up there (either there or the room behind it), and while I have my reservations about some of the other additions in that version, that placement is spot on. It ends up being very reminiscent of Relic, where you have the immediate option of jumping down and picking your flag route (which Boardwalk could do spectacularly with it's multilevel setup).

It was meant for round based attack/defend gametypes, effectively splitting that power weapon count per team in two. Short rounds and that map split meant that it didn't suffer from the power weapon cycle that other maps do. It was never a great Slayer map, though.

Godly SWAT map

Just played spec ops the line demo, terrible and formulaic, the only thing going for it is it's relatively unique scenery (it's set in Dubai ).

Also I love how there always seems to be an army of video game bad guys hiding in containers, red containers no less.

heckfu

Banned
Frankie, if I say please and smile, can you wave your hand and snap your fingers to make SWAT zero bloom?

Yours truly,
Heckfu

Top Bottom