• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

If the Wii U does have a Gamecube Virtual Console, I'd get Def Jam in a heartbeat.

Too bad if they have something like that, it will never be put on there for various reasons.

(contemplates ordering it online)

I've never played Def Jam. I see that it was developed by Aki. Now I'm contemplating whether or not I should order it.

Lets just agree to agree.

Also it's crazy how much I enjoyed the N64 and Gamecube, like a TON. But then I totally didn't care a whole lot for the Wii. These lists are just reminding me how I've changed. Next gen will be a return to form for me (assuming nintendo doesn't fuck up), but it's weird none the less.

Agreed. I feel exactly the same way. I'm hoping the Wii U reels me back into Nintendo games.

The N64 has an incredibly underrated lineup as some here have already listed.
The crazy thing is how cultural some of those games were. Goldeneye 007 and Mario Kart 64 were basically THE games everyone played at get togethers. Smash Bros, Wave Race, and Mario Party were also super popular.
Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 were complete revolutions in the gaming world. Star Fox 64 was a really quirky game that was just released at the most perfect time and everyone thought it was fun. Banjo-Kazooie and Tony Hawk were crazy good as well.
N64 didn't have the variety of the PS1 but it certainly had the most memorable multi and single player games of the gen. Which was perfect for everyone except the most hard core of hard core gamers. Kart and 007 took up enough hours for an entire generation lol

My list can walk right through the door.

tumblr_lybc8laFzn1qhjqsho2_500.gif

tumblr_ly9z9kMdE11qffs71o6_500.gif

guek

Banned
But seriously, the wii was awesome.

SMG 1
SMG 2
LoZ TP
LoZ SS
World of Goo
MM9
FFCC:MLK
SSBB
Xenoblade
Metroid Trilogy/Corruption
Kirby's EY
Kirby RDL
NSMBWii
DKCR
Punch Out
Boom Blox 1 & 2
Zack and Wiki
Little King Story
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Sin and Punishment 2
Super Paper Mario
MH Tri
Rhythm Heaven Fever
No More Heroes 1
No More Heroes 2
Goldeneye
Madworld
Warioware
MKWii
Muramasa
A Boy and his Blob
Last Story
Trauma Team
Trauma Center:SO
Lost Winds
HotD:O
Red Steel 2
Excitetruck
Excitebots
Rune Factory
Silent Hill:SM
Metroid:OM
Endless Ocean
Sonic Colors
Warioland

All average edit:(close to) scores of 80 and above. The Wii was awesome (though admittedly not a system geared towards all audiences)

You're entitled to your opinion, but just look at its exclusive lineup and compare it with the Wii equivalents;

GOATarina of Time

Majora's Mask - Yes, awesome sequel.

Mario 64 -Awesome game but inexcusable there was no sequel that gen. Were 64 bit cartridges that hard to make games for?

Paper Mario - Wii had Super Paper Mario

Mario Kart -Classic but MK Wii has 4p local AND lag free online.

Diddy Kong Racing -Ditty Kart? HATED this game. "Sorry, OoT's still not done, take a MK clone with Rare characters! Have a fun winter, see ya next year maybe!"

Beetle Adventure Racing -Never played it. Where's San Francisco Rush 2049?

F-Zero X
Star Fox 64

Extreme G Wipeout and FZero are both better

1080 Snowboarding

Wave Race 64 -Zzzzzzz Snore. "Why release AAA adventures when we can just pump out racers!"

Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie Never played it, collectathon burn out.

Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Space Station Silicon Valley
Conker -Crappy, simple platforming and I don't like raunchy humor.

DK64 -Collectathon, looked ugly, not enough of what made the SNES games great.

Ogre Battle 64
Harvest Moon 64
Goemon's Great Adventure
Blast Corps

Mario Golf -
Mario Tennis - Should we devote more time to mainline sequels or have Camelot do a console RPG? Nah.

Super Smash Bros.

Decent list but still doesn't refute my point that NCL was painfully slow and complacent on N64.

onilink88

Tim Sweeney is the posterboy for pushing unsustainable business models to push a middleware solution.

Hello, Grandpa, my old friend
Your busy day is at an end
Your exploits have been sad and boring
They tell a tale that's worth ignoring
When you're alone, the words of your story will echo down the rest home hall
'Cuz no one at all
Can stand the sound of Grandpa

Not meant to be an affront on your stance- I just couldn't help myself. :p

In the interest of relevance, though, I agree with you.

Terrell

Other than getting the word out about upcoming games and contributing to the formation/reinforcement of opinions that gamers have about any of a number of industry issues, I'm not sure. But those are pretty substantial contributions.

Nintendo has to figure a way around these clowns. Even if it takes baby steps over a few generations. I'm convinced that there is no winning with this crowd.

Getting the word out about upcoming games is easy. "Hey, we know you like this cuz you played it, here's a trailer of this game coming out later this year."

Done.

Like I said, the only thing left is their opinion. And well.... considering what we see from them in this regard, no loss. I don't think the industry press should disappear, but it doesn't need to exist at the level it does now. One or two writers at currently established news agencies is all we'd need if such a thing comes to pass, and I'm all for it.

Also, a thought on the EA being ripe for a buyout thing....

Does anyone think that the publisher-developer dynamic will change? With smartphone game development in full force and taking a LOT of talent that was bound for this industry and placing it outside the current business model, I have this feeling that the publishing powerhouses will end up in the future just being the middleman, with developers holding IPs and getting most of the gross revenue. It's really the only way for the industry to keep its talent, and when and if EA tanks, that future will become a lot more present. There will still be internal developers at certain publishers, but I think the creators of content will hold more power, just like you see in certain aspects of the movie industry.

Linkhero1

Are they fun if you're not really into wrestling?

Yup. I used to play with friends who never were into wrestling. We always had a blast.

I don't know if No Mercy still holds up to today's standards, but I would look into Day of Reckoning 2. I still play it to this day. WWE All Stars was pretty decent too, but it could have been better.

SMG 1
SMG 2
LoZ TP
LoZ SS
World of Goo
MM9
SSBB
Xenoblade
Kirby's EY
Kirby RDL
NSMBWii
DKCR
Punch Out
Boom Blox 1 & 2
Zack and Wiki
Little King Story
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Sin and Punishment 2
Super Paper Mario
MH Tri
Rhythm Heaven Fever
No More Heroes 1
No More Heroes 2
Goldeneye
Madworld
Warioware
MKWii
Muramasa
A Boy and his Blob
Last Story
Trauma Team
Lost Winds
Red Steel 2
Excitetruck
Excitebots
Rune Factory
Endless Ocean
Sonic Colors
Warioland

All average edit:(close to) scores of 80 and above. The Wii was awesome (though admittedly not a system geared towards all audiences)

n64-4.jpg

Stripped. The Emperor's New Clothes are showing and the N64 just lost its nostalgia mantle cuz this list is awesome.

As someone that focuses mainly on first party stuff, the Wii was very good for me.

If the Wii U does have a Gamecube Virtual Console, I'd get Def Jam in a heartbeat.

Too bad if they have something like that, it will never be put on there for various reasons.

(contemplates ordering it online)

This post makes me kinda sad for gaming as a medium. A plethora of fun titles are just going to be left to be forgotten.

With cinema, there's a very concerted effort to put all the old titles on the new hardware (VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, digital). But with games, because of the constant refreshes of hardware and different interface requirements needed to play certain games, we're never going to get this.

Imagine if all of Nintendo's DS/3DS games are lost to time because they give up the dual screen format in 10 years.

Anth0ny

list wars, I love it.

I'm definitely on N64's side. Now, I can even point to Nintendo to make my case. Too much "width", not enough "depth"!

And although Wii had more good games than Gamecube, I'd take Wind Waker, Melee, THPS3 and RE4 over its entire library (Galaxy 2 the exception) in a heartbeat.

Terrell

and after he steps out, it would burst into flames, a genuine tribute to the quality of the star fox franchise.

Thread going in circles again. And OMFG, LIST WARS. If this is still happening when I wake up tomorrow, I'm totally gonna peace out.

I've never played Def Jam. I see that it was developed by Aki. Now I'm contemplating whether or not I should order it.

I played both the first and second Def Jam games and actually prefer the first despite the second being more ambitious but all I can say is I am not the biggest hiphop/rap fan(though I am selective more than disliking the genre of music) but it was the same Aki quality.

Just amazing gameplay/engine and really a solid looking title.

The finishing moves were really well done.

Nibel

And although Wii had more good games than Gamecube, I'd take Wind Waker, Melee, THPS3 and RE4 over its entire library (Galaxy 2 the exception) in a heartbeat.

RE4 Wii >>>>>> RE4 GCN

This is a fact. Best aiming experience I ever had in my life.

Instro

RE4 Wii >>>>>> RE4 GCN

While they are neat, the game was not built for pointer controls thus making it an inferior experience to the original.

And for me, GC>N64>Wii games wise.

Anth0ny

RE4 Wii >>>>>> RE4 GCN

yeah I guess

but why didn't we get a new Resident Evil with the RE4 Wii controls? RE4 will always be a GC game in my mind. Maybe the controls are a little better on the Wii... but it doesn't really add to its library.

guek

Banned
I loved the gamecube so much. RE4 was easily my favorite game of last gen. Overall, I enjoyed the Wii more, but it's tough to match the cream of the crop between the two. I loved SS a lot more than WW. Double Dash is better than MK:Wii. SMG is tied with the original Starcraft as my second favorite game of all time. I've never played anything quite like FF:CC, but I can say the same for Little King's StoryZack and Wiki (LKS was great too though). Melee over Brawl definitely, though I still enjoy brawl a lot. Prime over Corruption. Put over 200hrs into Tri. Man. Good times, all of them.

Snakeyes

Yup. I used to play with friends who never were into wrestling. We always had a blast.

I don't know if No Mercy still holds up to today's standards, but I would look into Day of Reckoning 2. I still play it to this day. WWE All Stars was pretty decent too, but it could have been better.

You really make them sound like great games... Finding a copy is probably hard these days though.

Speaking of the GC's lineup, I'd say that it was better than the Wii's as well. At least it got most of the multiplats along with Nintendo's stellar 1st and 2nd party output.

Nibel

While they are neat, the game was not built for pointer controls thus making it an inferior experience to the original.

What are you talking about?

Yes, it was a port - but it controlled flawlessly. Pin-point accuracy and overall a good feedback. The Wii version is easily the best in my opinion; forget the shitty PC and PS2 ports, and even the original on GCN isn't as good as the Wii version.

I swear by god this would have become a standard control mechanism if the Wii wasn't so weak.

Akai

First time I've ever heard of much better control making a game inferior to an identical one with worse control...

Yes, it was a port - but it controlled flawlessly. Pin-point accuracy and overall a good feedback. The Wii version is easily the best in my opinion; forget the shitty PC and PS2 ports, and even the original on GCN isn't as good as the Wii version.

I swear by god this would have become a standard control mechanism if the Wii wasn't so weak.

Maybe he meant the pointer controls made the game too easy.

Linkhero1

You really make them sound like great games... Finding a copy is probably hard these days though.

Speaking of the GC's lineup, I'd say that it was better than the Wii's as well. At least it got most of the multiplats along with Nintendo's stellar 1st and 2nd party output.

They're fun if you have friends to play with similar to how Brawl is fun when you're playing with multiple people. They're better games than SvR trash THQ feeds us now.

I played both the first and second Def Jam games and actually prefer the first despite the second being more ambitious but all I can say is I am not the biggest hiphop/rap fan(though I am selective more than disliking the genre of music) but it was the same Aki quality.

Just amazing gameplay/engine and really a solid looking title.

The finishing moves were really well done.

Ah I'm gonna have to look into these games. I'm sure it should be fairly cheap on ebay.

Thread going in circles again. And OMFG, LIST WARS. If this is still happening when I wake up tomorrow, I'm totally gonna peace out.

best games ever according to me

1. re4
2. metroid prime
3. super metroid
4. f-zero gx
5. rollercoaster tycoon

oh look, 3 of those are on gamecube

gamecube=the best

list wars

Or maybe he meant the aiming in the GCN version took practice, timing and patience to pull off with finesse, which was how it was designed. He could have also meant the laser sights were much more tasteful and realized visually than that crappy pointer circle on-screen at all times...

So the GCN version is better than the version with better control and extra content from the PS2 version?

Yes.

Instro

No, the controls themselves are not the issue. In fact they are perfect. The problem, as I mentioned, is that the game is not designed for these type of controls. They make the game extremely easy because all enemies are designed around someone aiming with an analog. It's the same reason why Prime 1&2 are not better games with Wii controls.

Snakeyes

It really didn't overall though. Go to GR, filter out the games with less than 10 reviews and you'll see that Wii has 100 games over 80% while GC has around 120.

Nibel

The game still offers enough challenges on higher difficulties. And since when is it a bad thing when a game gets better controls? It's not Duck Hunt with the remote , it's still RE4 where you have to watch out that enemies don't flank you or fuck you up from behind.

RE4 Wii >>>>>>>>>> RE4 GCN

botty

Banned
Wow, only 27 days till this thread finally gets to eat.

What becomes of IdeaMan after June 5th?

Hoping for incredible online features, and 3rd party exclusives.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Remember he night of the 'Capcom 5'? By God, that in itself was almost as awesome as E3.

No, the controls themselves are not the issue. In fact they are perfect. The problem, as I mentioned, is that the game is not designed for these type of controls. They make the game extremely easy because all enemies are designed around someone aiming with an analog. It's the same reason why Prime 1&2 are not better games with Wii controls.

I don't know, I'll take ideal controls that make the game easier over good ones that make them more challenging but that's me and it's a tough call.

I didn't get the Resident Evil Wii version because those assholes at Eurogamer(I had to make a quick decision on the spot and chose to read their review) said it was bad but for me, Prime and Prime 2 were revelations with the Wii control setup.

SMG 1
SMG 2
LoZ TP
LoZ SS
World of Goo
MM9
SSBB
Xenoblade
Kirby's EY
Kirby RDL
NSMBWii
DKCR
Punch Out
Boom Blox 1 & 2
Zack and Wiki
Little King Story
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Sin and Punishment 2
Super Paper Mario
MH Tri
Rhythm Heaven Fever
No More Heroes 1
No More Heroes 2
Goldeneye
Madworld
Warioware
MKWii
Muramasa
A Boy and his Blob
Last Story
Trauma Team
Lost Winds
Red Steel 2
Excitetruck
Excitebots
Rune Factory
Endless Ocean
Sonic Colors
Warioland

And if you hate motion controls then for the most part the Wii was a great disappointment. Like you said, it was for a particular audience.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I remember dreams being crushed

At least we had dreams. And three out of five great games is not bad. With Wii, outside of the launch period we never got a moment of hardcore hype for the system. There was a good two+ years in Gamecube's life where excitement for present and future games was nonstop.

It's going to be the engines that are most useful, so that would definitely be Unreal.

Anyway, here's the original post.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg722856#msg722856

He was super excited about that when he posted it, and we were talking about it just before he posted it on the site. It came from an actual dev, but that's about as much as I can say about the source, other than what I've already said.

But that same source has also commented on Epic's comments from yesterday too
dev in response to the possibility that UE4 may not come to Wii U said:
"Watch man, people are going to be blown away by the Wii U news."

So how ever you wish to take the info, with or without salt... or perhaps not at all, E3 should be really good this year. One that I'm sure I will never forget at least.

He was super excited about that when he posted it, and we were talking about it just before he posted it on the site. It came from an actual dev, but that's about as much as I can say about the source, other than what I've already said.

So how ever you wish to take the info, with or without salt... or perhaps not at all, E3 should be really good this year. One that I'm sure I will never forget at least.
Fuuuuuck. Stop making the wait longer.

Deguello

The game still offers enough challenges on higher difficulties. And since when is it a bad thing when a game gets better controls? It's not Duck Hunt with the remote , it's still RE4 where you have to watch out that enemies don't flank you or fuck you up from behind.

RE4 Wii >>>>>>>>>> RE4 GCN

RE4 Wii is a testament to good controls making a great game even better.

If you disagree... well... you're entitled to your opinion. Even if it's wrong.

guek

Banned

Don't you dare fucking over hype me, man....man, don't you dare...

...don't...do it...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

i3urK.gif

Linkhero1

E3 is so close, yet so far. Taking it with a grain of salt, but I'm hyped.

Anth0ny

shit son

SHIT SON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom