• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
And who wants to bet that the conference will start with something Wii U related?

Retro Zelda trailer. Miyamoto summersaults onstage wearing the hero's garb, Upad and Wiimote in hand. "HYAAAAAA! Who's ready for the future of gaming?!", he shouts. The crowd goes insane.

BurntPork

Banned
I hate to crush everyone's dreams, but... Toonami only really worked during the age of dial up Internet. Back when everyone was exposed to DBZ for the first time. Today, I just don't see much of a point. Any anime that Toonami airs could probably be found on DVD, for a fair price (vs. $30 DBZ tapes that contained 3 episodes a pop), dubbed and subbed.

The only positive that can come out of this is if they air One Piece and its popularity increases in the States.

Don't care. NOSTALGIA

Thraktor

Rösti;37939045 said:
Nintendo's E3 2006 media briefing saw 8.32 minutes of Nintendo DS footage/presentation. Nintendo's E3 2011 media briefing saw 30.99 minutes of Wii U footage/presentation, that's approximately 44.2 % of the briefing in comparison with approximately 87.3 % of Wii for 2006's presentation. Nintendo 3DS I believe could need a few big titles more publicly shown so I don't expect such a great portion of the media briefing this year for Wii U, but I think the focus on the new system will be great.

Well, NSMB2 for 3DS will be getting a proper unveiling, so I'd imagine it'll get a decent bit of conference time. There's also a decent chance we'll see a 3DS Zelda game, or even other random unexpected 3DS stuff like F-Zero or Advance Wars or something.

Linkhero1

Well, NSMB2 for 3DS will be getting a proper unveiling, so I'd imagine it'll get a decent bit of conference time. There's also a decent chance we'll see a 3DS Zelda game, or even other random unexpected 3DS stuff like F-Zero or Advance Wars or something.

3DS will probably get 20-30 minutes of conference time and the rest will be for the Wii U. They're definitely going to give time to the 3DS.

/whistle

"you-know-who"... wait... i've reached voldemort status now ?

hey, i never asked for that ! i'm a superhero, i'm the best bud of the Justice League

oh, new tidbit about the Wii U, specifically the units brought at E3 2011, in a moment.

Nothing groundbreaking, but still interesting

I read this in Eminem's voice.

Nilaul

The only thing thats in my head after reading the last few pages:

OoO, Ooooooooo, OoO, Oooooooo Oooo

As you can see the dry spell of siginificant information has dehidrated my brain turning me into a zombie.

HylianTom

Banned

3DS will probably get 20-30 minutes of conference time and the rest will be for the Wii U. They're definitely going to give time to the 3DS.

I'm tending to agree. As much as I want all of the spotlight to be on the U, 3DS needs some attention. Its sales are okay.. but just okay, and Nintendo wants/needs sales above that level. So we're going to see some 3DS time. :/

This also leads me to wonder: after E3, will we see more events from Nintendo? And what will be their focus? Nintendo Direct, for example, has been pretty much all about the 3DS. After the lid is lifted on the Wii U, however, I hope to see a shift in time allocation between the two machines.

Azure J

What was your favorite show during Toonami?

For me it was Bo-bo-bo-bo-bo-bo-bo.

And did GAF ever have a Toonami community thread?

Rurouni Kenshin easy. Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009 and Outlaw Star are some notables that aren't the bread and butters like Dragonball/DBZ, Sailor Moon (yeah I went there) and Gundam Wing.

HylianTom

Banned
well it is nice to pay respects to the dead.

If I had my way, I'd want Nintendo to find a way to combine its home and portable consoles - and I see the Wii U as a possible step in that direction.

Imagine a successor to the Wii U coming with a cartridge port in it so that it can act as a portable gaming device, independent of the console itself. This would require 3DS-like guttyworks on the inside and all, but still.. it'd be incredible for Nintendo to sell both their home console and their gaming console as a true, two-independent-systems-in-one package.

*sigh*

Nilaul

So any resume of the latest news???apparently you cant make fun of Apple fans here....so i was grounded.
But im back

Did you know that when ever you eat an Apple you infringe Apple's patent and copyrights? As your re-creating Apple's logo.

Also notice the chalk signs in your local fruit retailer , it should say "Apple 1.99 per kg", instead it says "1.99 per Kg" xD

If I had my way, I'd want Nintendo to find a way to combine its home and portable consoles - and I see the Wii U as a possible step in that direction.

Imagine a successor to the Wii U coming with a cartridge port in it so that it can act as a portable gaming device, independent of the console itself. This would require 3DS-like guttyworks on the inside and all, but still.. it'd be incredible for Nintendo to sell both their home console and their gaming console as a true, two-independent-systems-in-one package.

*sigh*
That is the future, actually. Buy the tech (especially battery) hasn't quite reached that.

Maxrunner

Did you know that when ever you eat an Apple you infringe Apple's patent and copyrights? As your re-creating Apple's logo.

Also notice the chalk signs in your local fruit retailer , it should say "Apple 1.99 per kg", instead it says "1.99 per Kg" xD

i actually cant remember the last time i ate an Apple....it explains a lot it seems.......touchy fruit...

Nilaul

i actually cant remember the last time i ate an Apple....it explains a lot it seems.......touchy fruit...

Also that should explain the complete mysterious disappearance of Apples from Video-games. (Seriously I don't remember a video game with apples in it) lol

abasm

Nintendo has been really quiet about upcoming 3DS stuff, too. Keep in mind that they still haven't released a third of the stuff they showed last E3, and what we know about (including potential localizations) isn't enough to fill out the rest of the year. They have to give the system some attention, and new footage of Paper Mario/Animal Crossing/Luigi's Mansion won't cut it.

BlackJace

Bobobo had the misfortune of being associated with the downfall of Toonami.

But..why? It ended a few months before Toonami did. The show was generally fun and hilarious. The WTF moments were abundant, but looking back, I finally got some of the jokes that flew over my head.

Nintendo has been really quiet about upcoming 3DS stuff, too. Keep in mind that they still haven't released a third of the stuff they showed last E3, and what we know about (including potential localizations) isn't enough to fill out the rest of the year. They have to give the system some attention, and new footage of Paper Mario/Animal Crossing/Luigi's Mansion won't cut it.
There will be new announcements. You can count on that. Particularly aimed at the Western markets.

I can't wait until Tom reviews Wii U!
Overall, Metroid Prime 4 does a lot to break itself away from the franchise, without losing its roots.
Fast gunplay, crazy enemies, and of course Samus looking fine. This game shows us why we continue to love Metroid.
Toonami gives Metroid Prime 4 a 9 out of 10. Long live the bounty hunters.

DCKing

As it came up, I feel something needs clarifying:

The Wii U's CPU is not a modified Waternoose/Xenon.

We have a considerable number of sources pointing out that the CPU is capable of out of order execution. This isn't something you can just "add-in" to a chip, it requires a completely different instruction pipeline, and for all intents and purposes, the instruction pipeline is the CPU. All the other specs, like number of cores, cache size, etc. are superficial; a CPU is defined by the way it handles instructions, and the Wii U CPU handles instructions in a fundamentally different way than Xenon.

The CPU will be, by any reasonable criteria, a completely custom chip. The instruction pipeline is probably going to be very loosely based on the Power7's, and the AltiVec unit will probably be a heavily modified variant on the VSX, but it's a whole new CPU, and not a "modified" anything.
We probably don't know the Wii U CPU architecture at all, but the best fit to what the CPU could be like is the elusive original design for the Xbox 360. That was an OoO chip later cut because it would be too expensive to use.

I confused some names later on but that's the chip I'm referring to.

Overall, Metroid Prime 4 does a lot to break itself away from the franchise, without losing its roots.
Fast gunplay, crazy enemies, and of course Samus looking fine. This game shows us why we continue to love Metroid.
Toonami gives Metroid Prime 4 a 9 out of 10. Long live the bounty hunters.

Oh man, I'm drooling. Toonami and Metroid?!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Nintendo will talk about the Virtual Console at E3. When that feature was first unveiled at E3 2005 it seemed so great, and while there are many awesome titles available for it Nintendo's support hasn't been that great, especially in Europe and the United States. And only eight platforms (excluding Virtual Console Arcade) aren't that many, considering the sheer load of systems you should be able to add easily. Amiga, Atari 2600, Dreamcast, PC-FX, Sega Saturn, ZX-Spectrum to name a few, and of course 64DD and Satellaview (shouldn't be impossible to emulate, they've gotta have original recordings somewhere) all ought to be excellent additions.

With Nintendo's strive to bring back core gamers, they should of course focus on new experiences first, but it could be a nice idea to showcase some nostalgia as well. Perhaps not as part of the media briefing in video form, but more talked about in interviews and demonstrated on the show floor; to prevent people from believing that this is what Wii U games will generally look like.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
About the Wii U units and software brought at E3 2011 (system "history" infos, leading to new tidbits about the storage situation)

- Apparently, the titles & demos present at E3 2011 (maybe not all) were brought to the show on SD cards
- The port on the Wii U was made accessible for studios to run their content. I'm not sure if their projects worked directly from SD cards, or were then transfered to a flash memory or another storage to be launched from those instead.
- It seems no optical medias was involved at E3 2011. Wii U pseudo bluray weren't there at all. Some people could have thought, for certain demos, with the little LED lightened, etc. that such discs were present in the drives and that these were working, loaded the data & all, but it probably wasn't the case.
- With the latter information, it's plausible that Wii U brought didn't housed an optical drive. They surely were just the dev kits in a special form (basically, all the hardware removed from the big development boxes ? i doubt it as dev kits are bigger than those units. A condensed version deprived of all the development stuff then ? A prototype of the retail board + components ?) with the activated at the time SD cards port.
- There's also a possibility that for several demos, real dev kits (i think lherre talked a little about this in the first thread) were hidden behind, and directly plugged to the TV's, with the software brought & stored through digital means (storage, flash, Host PC linked to the dev kits containing the content, emulating a normal drive, perhaps the hypothetic access times, etc.)
- About the optical drives, in the less likely scenario (see the last point + the following message in some days) that they were inside, they could have been not-yet-working-models, placeholders. This could indicate an optical storage situation still in flux at the time, still in the designing process.
- This could reinforce the hypothesis that the Wii U cases were just "mock-up", boxes rather quickly built to contain and hide the hardware they intended to bring at E3. It's a clear hint toward a possible change of the system appearance come E3 2012.
- Obviously, the situation has evolved since then, but not quickly after. This point will be made clearer in a following message about the optical storage of the Wii U.

I've heard that from two different sources but still grain of salt because it could only be relevant for some E3 2011 demos, not all.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So if Acid Ghost is true, what excuses do you think the gaming media will use in order to show that it isn't a "hardcore" game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom