• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, I have leukemia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
Dac, you will be fine. I have a feeling about these sorts of things and I know you will turn out stronger than ever before. Trust me :)

Glad to hear the transplant itself went smoothly. All the best!

Only just found out about what you're going through. My wife struggled through treatment for breast cancer last year, so I have some understanding of how hard life is for you right now. I'll be keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for you! As hard as it is, stay strong and look for positives wherever you can find them.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Almost one month later, no news?

Last time Dacvak posted he said this:
Heyo, today I get my bone marrow transplant, so hopefully everything goes as best as it possibly can. If so, I'll be out this joint in some 30-60 days, and hopefully off to being normal again.

No need to worry for now.

TheExodu5

Banned
One of my close friends passed away 4 years ago due to Leukemia. It's painful whenever I think about it.

You seem to have a very positive attitude and a lot of strength going into this. I have every hope that you will pull through. I wish you the best and hope for a speedy recovery.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The other day I watched 50/50. I cried like a baby, I know it sounds corny as hell, but I've thought about you and how you were doing. I want this story to end
like the movie did
:(
Best of luck mate.

Heyo, today I get my bone marrow transplant, so hopefully everything goes as best as it possibly can. If so, I'll be out this joint in some 30-60 days, and hopefully off to being normal again.

Wish me huge luck today, guys.

So excited to hear your next update, Dac. Bowie watches over us all. <3

Izick

I've said it earlier in this thread, but Dac, you're tough as hell. I have so much respect for you, you have no idea. I've had some real problems in the past few months, but this puts it in perspective. You're just...strong, man. That's all I can say.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, Dac, I just noticed this thread. You and I haven't had many (if any) direct interactions on GAF, but I always thought you seemed really cool. Hope everything goes well for you.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hey guys, I've got a bit of good news! I got to leave the hospital a few days ago, and now I'm staying in a Marriott hotel near the hospital. I'll be here for 1-2 months, depending on how I'm doing in my treatment. But it's really nice to be out of the hospital. 

I had a couple rough days getting settled into the hotel. Took some chances on some foods that I shouldn't have, but in general I'm doing a lot better since the last update. In fact, I hit a huge milestone today - I jogged one full mile on an elliptical today! The hotel has a nice clean gym, and that was the first official exercise I've done in 6 months. Feels good man. 

Here are a few snapshots of my hotel room:
9XGbF.jpg

cwPgi.jpg

It's pretty big (I didn't take a picture of the bedroom) - almost as big as my apartment, actually. Lol. 

I have to visit the hospital at least three times a week, and I've got a bone marrow biopsy coming up soon. It's a big one, since it'll tell us if the leukemia cells stayed away, or came back. That's the next biggest hurdle to get over, so please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as far as that goes. I really don't want to think about what happens if it comes back. 

I'm pretty bummed I'm missing E3 this year, since I had such a blast last year. I met Miyamoto, and even got on the local news for playing the Wii U: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/consumer&id=8177194

I'm sure I'll still have a fun time tracking the action from here, but I definitely miss it. 

Anyway, thanks again for really helping me keep a positive attitude to all of this, guys. Whenever I feel down, I read through this thread and it really helps me out. You all really have no idea how much it helps.

I've still got a long way to go, but I'm hoping some of the harder stuff is over. 

Glad to hear you're doing well Dacvak! That hotel room is nicer than pretty much any dorm/apartment I've ever lived in. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!

Just noticed - you have the exact same stove I used to have. Weird!

soepje

When will you have the marrow biopsy? I´m not religious, but i will send out positive thoughts to you :). Hope everything will turn out good.

Nice hotel also, u can actually cook your own food in that room there!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
When will you have the marrow biopsy? I´m not religious, but i will send out positive thoughts to you :). Hope everything will turn out good.

Nice hotel also, u can actually cook your own food in that room there!
My biopsy will be either tomorrow or Friday. I'll get the results about a week later. I'm looking forward to getting the results, but not to the actual biopsy since, well, they hurt a lot. Ah well, it's a necessity.

Im rooting for you. I like your upbeat attitude. Thats needed in times like this.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm 25. Had a birthday in March, so I was diagnosed when I was 24.

Dacvak

Wow, cool kitchen there. Looks like a cosy place to stay. Did they leave any goodies like biscuits or tea/coffee?

Wishing you well with your treatment.
Some crappy coffee, and tea. They also had a complimentary bag of popcorn the first night, which they replaced after used. But for some reason they recently stopped replacing it... Hmm

Anyway, I'm up late being nervous about my darn biopsy. Sometimes it's just REALLY hard to get your mind on anything else. Hopefully this ambien kicks in soon and let's me get some sleep!
(Please!)

Great news, man! So glad to hear you are doing well :)

Anyway, I'm up late being nervous about my darn biopsy. Sometimes it's just REALLY hard to get your mind on anything else. Hopefully this ambien kicks in soon and let's me get some sleep!
(Please!)

Off to behuhu the rub hive, huh?
(Hopefully you haven't seen that, because I guarantee it will take your mind off your biopsy for a few moments if you haven't)

We've never talked and this is the first time i've seen this thread, but i'm glad you're doing better than before and really hope you continue to improve and everything goes as well as it possibly can. Good luck.

Dead Man

Hey, good to hear from you man. Hope things stay looking good for you, at least you have a nice pad for a bit, far batter than a hospital, as you said.

Double D

Good for you, man. Really glad to see everything is going well. Hopefully it continues to go in this direction.

Also, I watched your news clip that you posted, and couldn't help but notice that your local news guy is this dude:
yrkma.jpg

Dude, I knew you mentioned you were in the hospital but I didn't realize you had leukemia. I know you don't need handouts, but I'd have sent you my entire portable collection for free if you'd just asked! I hope the games are fun, and if you get bored with them and want some more just let me know, I'd be more than happy to send you others free of charge.

Best of luck and stay in touch!

Coincidentally, I joined the Bone Marrow Registry about 2-3 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom