• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] ZombiU for WiiU

Nilaul

Londons wildlife does include foxes and squirrels. I see a lot of dogs, but not wild.

So we have potentially:
Zombie foxes
Zombie Squirrels
Zombie Dogs

SteeloDMZ

Banned
That actually looks decent. This looks like a real true survival horror game. Why the hell they didn't show this at the conference makes no sense. Definitely keeping my eye on how this game progresses now.

Wut? They did show it:

228811-reggie.jpg

Haha I jumped cause of one. Goes to show how scary and tense this game may end up being. Off screen, in a busy booth with distracting music and people walking around and I still jumped haha!

Haha. They definitely had me paranoid, especially when he went into they went into the school.

Its a damn shame. I hope there is at least 1 game at launch that shows what the hardware can really do (and no, not some multi-plat for those who may say Trine lol).

It is. And after learning more about what the GPU could do, I don't expect your launch request to happen.

Teknoman

I love how they use the WiiU controller, not just because of the inventory and stuff, but because having to look away from the screen in and of itself adds to the psychological horror aspect of it. If you were actually in that situation, you'd have to constantly look up from your bag and look around, etc. and they frame things in a way that gives you enough of a "quick glance you" when you are having to do something on the controller. Freaking cool.

Can someone tell me how it is that the two Ubisoft games that were heavily showcased manage to use the controller better than anything Nintendo showed that was first party? Seriously boggles my mind...

Maybe the whole "Give third parties a chance!" mantra worked after all?

zroid

Banned
Its a damn shame. I hope there is at least 1 game at launch that shows what the hardware can really do (and no, not some multi-plat for those who may say Trine lol).

Rayman Legends?

Well, I don't know if that's the best example for pushing horsepower, but it's certainly gorgeous. And exclusive (as far as we know).

PKrockin

I still kind of shocked at how Ubisoft pretty much knocked it out of the park this E3. Not just with this game, everything.

I'm pretty stunned too. I think we all are.

If their games turn out to be nearly as good as they look I'll be forced to stop hating them.

The M.O.B

*Looks at the videos*

Oh IGN, you so dumb.

Game looks fine graphically, and nowhere close to anything the Wii could have done.

Anteo

Sistem Seller imho, I was not getting a WiiU at launch because I don't really have that much money to begin with. But now I want to start saving to get it as close to the launch as I can.

Imagine instead of telling me to look down at my controller to do certain actions, the television screen just displayed them. Then I could use a Wiimote to actually aim, instead of slogging through dual analog.

Yeah, that's what it would take me to consider this game. Gameplay above all else. Right, Nintendo?

Linkhero1

Imagine instead of telling me to look down at my controller to do certain actions, the television screen just displayed them. Then I could use a Wiimote to actually aim, instead of slogging through dual analog.

Yeah, that's what it would take me to consider this game. Gameplay above all else. Right, Nintendo?

I honestly think it's dumb. I feel like a lot of developers who attempt to utilize the GamePad will use it for useless things.

The only reason I'm not upset over analog aiming in this game is because it looks as slow as petrified molasses. Now the Alien game coming out...that one looks like it would need some Wiimote love. I like having to look away from the tv though for this type of game, but I guess that is a personal preference.

Mlatador

Banned
The only reason I'm not upset over analog aiming in this game is because it looks as slow as petrified molasses. Now the Alien game coming out...that one looks like it would need some Wiimote love. I like having to look away from the tv though for this type of game, but I guess that is a personal preference.

Good point! I can tolerate no pointer controls for this game, too. I won't tolreate any lack of pointer controls for Colonial Marines, though!

I honestly think it's dumb. I feel like a lot of developers who attempt to utilize the GamePad will use it for useless things.

It is literally the same input as the DS. And we've learned with that platform that the most successful and fun touchscreen experiences are when the gameplay is actually on the screen you're touching. This is because you're interacting with it.

They should've been able to see this coming since they de-emphasized the touchscreen with 3DS in favor of the prettier screen. Now, we're doing the opposite. We have the pretty HDTV screen, but we have to look away to interact with our touchscreen.

The running theme here is Nintendo has no idea which direction they should go.

abstract alien said:

If you can handle the dual analog, some of this Zombi gameplay looks good underneath that control scheme. I just decided, personally, it's not worth fighting against the controls for me.

Ninman

Impressions so far:

NWR said:
I saw a lot of people making the comparison to Left 4 Dead, based on it being a first-person shooter set in a Zombie Apocalypse. This game is definitely not that...ZombiU is a lot different from what I expected after seeing the trailer, and given how good it was I think that’s a good thing. You’re not running through this guns blazing, but carefully making it through tense situations. While we may have seen too many zombie games in recent years, I’m not sure I’ve played one quite as good as this.

IGN said:
In a show that's been very light on surprises so far, it's amusing that a zombie game, of all things, should be one of the biggest...At the entrance to Buckingham Palace, I cautiously take out three or four feeding zombies from afar, then scan the area. The scan pulls up no threats, but there's an ammo stash that looks promising. Whilst I'm examining what's there, though, five zombies burst out from the darkness behind me, nearly giving me a heart attack. I fumble pathetically with the controls, trying to equip the shotgun I just found, before one of them bears down upon me and eats my face. It's here that I discover that death is permanent in ZombiU - and I lose all the stuff that I've managed to pick up.The underlying concepts and the usage of the touchscreen controller are both impressive enough to shine through regardless.

The Verge said:
ZombiU is the exclusive zombie-killing simulator for Wii U shown briefly at the Ubisoft and Nintendo press conferences. It is also one of the show's best surprises and one of the most promising games announced for the upcoming console.
After finding the antibiotics, we bolted for the exit and promptly fell through the floor into a basement filled with viscera. An enraged zombified woman, possibly the babysitter, cornered us into a room, pacing back and forth between a hole in the wall and the only door out.

We emptied a cartridge, burying a few bullets into her clavicle, neck and chest. They briefly knocked her back, but with a lunge she got her arms around us and bit into our neck. 10:04 seconds. That's how long we lasted. We only finished off four zombies.
This is typical, we were told. This game is closer to a real zombie apocalypse simulation. People die. Constantly.

Kotaku said:
It's remarkable how intense it feels to look down into your inventory and then have to look back up to check your surroundings—it makes rooting around in your backpack during the zombie apocalypse feel like… well, rooting around in your backpack during a zombie apocalypse.At one point, things went totally batshit—the power went out, and my scanner and minimap stopped working.
I literally yelled twice from jump-scares. In fairness, I have had a TON of coffee today. But it was a whole lot of fun...Once I killed the nurse, I had to scan her with the controller screen… but she JUMPED THE EFF OUT AT ME THROUGH THE SCREEN and scared the bejesus out of me.
Sorry for the unprofessional all-caps. It was really cool, is all.

Gamespot said:
ZombiU is genuinely scary. The game is designed to be realistic; you can’t switch out weapons with superhuman speed like you can in many modern shooters. Instead you have to painstakingly dig through your backpack praying you have enough ammo that you won't need to resort to your cumbersome cricket bat. The game’s unique implementation of the Wii U hardware puts this title ahead of many of the other survival horror games released in the past few years.

czk

Typical COD gamer
Do we know for certain that those games won't support the pointer controls?

antonz

The whole point of forcing you to look down at the gamepad for rummaging through corpses pockets, backpack etc is to get your eyes off the action like it would if you were actually doing those actions.

You cant rummage in your backpack or loot corpses pockets etc and at the same time know everything going on. It adds tension

opi1saved

Neo Member
I'm not even a big fan of zombies myself and I'm pretty excited about this (after what I've seen).

Just like in the gameplay trailer, "BAM!", suddenly the game was on my radar... ;D
Yup. I was let down when i first realized the game from the Nintendo Direct video was real; even moreso when i found out Killer Freaks is gone. I hate zombie games just cause imo the genre is played out in games AND movies/TV (love Walking Dead though). But after the info and vids in this thread my intention to buy Wii U at launch has returned.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What was that at about the 5:10 mark? Looked almost like a raging ghost.

I saw that too.

Thought my eyes were playing tricks on me for a sec.

All the reflections of people in the background kept throwing me off. I noticed that part at 5:10 my first time as well
What your saw was an actual zombie, Reggie zombie to be specific, and that was a reflection of him running through the E3 floor.

Do we know for certain that those games won't support the pointer controls?

Nah, it hasn't been confirmed by any means. We are just going off of the fact that the Gamepad is definitely a go, and nothing has been said of other methods. Not sure if this game will use it since it really seems to want you to use the tablet, but Aliens would be more in line to do so.

Fun game with really mediocre graphics. Graphically not even close to a top tier 360 or PS3 games. Lots of Aliasing, character models were not very impressive, and textures and effects were solidly in the middle of current gen.

Still pretty damn fun though. Love the persistent death and other touches. I wish they kept it 100% grounded in realism, but alas, they went a bit Resident Evil with it. Too bad, since the straight faced realism angle would have made it stand out IMO.

Also, they need to streamline the second screen UI a bit. I don't want to slide the finger up the screen every time I want to exit out of the back pack inventory!

Multi looks quite interesting. I always like the L4D multi, if they nail it this could be sweet.

At E3, floating names indicated which of the zombies I encountered were once survivors themselves, hinting at some kind of online integration that lets you see where other players met their demise.
Cool.

I'm not arguing it's any monument to graphics, just if you're going to post a snarky comment, at least use a screenshot from the actual game. It's amateur hour.
Can't be arsed to go into the game. Comment wasn't snarky (unlike yours).

The concept = no checkpoints. survival mode. But many survival games do have checkpoints.
Or rest points between waves. This is more like Dark souls (well, not in gameplay..)
Different to survival mode though since you take over a new survivor after dying. DS is different as well since you retain your experience etc.

Ubisoft... redeemed?

So strange to say, but they killed it this E3.

They really did. I liked Nintendos showings, but the highlight was Rayman and ZombiU. Hell even Just Dance4 is a lock for me, as it should make an amazing party game.

ZombiU is like the antithesis to modern shooter design. Bold in its unforgiving rules, creative in its use of controls and gameplay implementation, and innovative in terms of its structure and death mechanics.

I dare to say that it might become the Dark Souls of FPS games.

I'm absolutely stoked for this.

I guess we have different views on what make games fun after all. I miss all those 90s FPS like Half Life, Blood, Quake I&II, NOLF, DN3D, Shogo M.A.D., etc... that required some skill and an attention span that goes beyond 10 seconds without instant gratification. This gen has been a nightmare for the FPS lover in me.

Agreed. Games these days are too easy. Aim assist, auto regeneration of health and a single player campaign that only takes 5-8 hours. It's just so that testers can make at least one complete playthrough in a working day. If you look at survival horror take Resident Evil as a prime example. The first 3 were REAL survival horror games, ammo scarce, limited opportunities to save the game and limited herbs and health sprays. The game was challenging. Now compare that to Resident Evils 4 and 5. Way too easy to beat, like the vast majority of games.

I used to love FPS games but they've seriously gone downhill since they got rid of health packs. Gone are the days when you were left with a whisker of health praying that you don't catch a stray, fatal bullet and that one of these enemies will drop a health pack.

I've just seen a couple of cam videos of ZombiU gameplay on Gametrailers and you can really sense the tension lol

This is going to be awesome, finally an FPS that's going to be a challenge...consider me a happy bunny!

Edit: First gameplay video here: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-zombiu/731417

Second one here: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-zombiu/731421

Just in case you haven't seen them, apologies if I'm just repeating old news lol

Instro

Fun game with really mediocre graphics. Graphically not even close to a top tier 360 or PS3 games. Lots of Aliasing, character models were not very impressive, and textures and effects were solidly in the middle of current gen.

Still pretty damn fun though. Love the persistent death and other touches. I wish they kept it 100% grounded in realism, but alas, they went a bit Resident Evil with it. Too bad, since the straight faced realism angle would have made it stand out IMO.

Also, they need to streamline the second screen UI a bit. I don't want to slide the finger up the screen every time I want to exit out of the back pack inventory!

Sounds like you've played it, or am I reading this post wrong?

Mekere

I was not really interested at first, but a real survival, with permadeath! Now we're talking. Really impressed by Ubisoft this year.

It is literally the same input as the DS. And we've learned with that platform that the most successful and fun touchscreen experiences are when the gameplay is actually on the screen you're touching. This is because you're interacting with it.

They should've been able to see this coming since they de-emphasized the touchscreen with 3DS in favor of the prettier screen. Now, we're doing the opposite. We have the pretty HDTV screen, but we have to look away to interact with our touchscreen.

The running theme here is Nintendo has no idea which direction they should go.

If you can handle the dual analog, some of this Zombi gameplay looks good underneath that control scheme. I just decided, personally, it's not worth fighting against the controls for me.

I've gotta say, I didn't expect to see people complaining about how bad dual-analog is. To be fair though, it's probably to appeal to the M-rated masses - that type of crowd would not like pointer controls.

Sorry Shog, bit confused, what did you mean by this?

Taxman

Could you be more specific on what you meant about going "bit Resident Evil with it"? What could they have done to make it more "realistic" considering it's a game about zombies?

antonz

Could you be more specific on what you meant about going "bit Resident Evil with it"? What could they have done to make it more "realistic" considering it's a game about zombies?

The first Mini boss you face while a zombie does some unzombie like things.

I've gotta say, I didn't expect to see people complaining about how bad dual-analog is. To be fair though, it's probably to appeal to the M-rated masses - that type of crowd would not like pointer controls.

Shrug. Sucks for me that I can't enjoy dual analog, since this is actually (surprisingly) getting solid impressions.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I hate most things zombie related, but this game's unique mechanics intrigue me. The impressions are really encouraging.

Top Bottom