• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest for the Holy Relics: A NeoGAF DnD Play by Post Campaign

Sarm is not sure what plan of action is best for the two guards, as most of his forethought has went towards the encounter with Clementine herself and larger groups of foes. It stops mattering the moment they carry out an action and color spray and grab one of the zombies.

The Cleric rushes to catch up to Ivor upon hearing his name being called for aid, seeing that he already took control. He aids Ivor by pulling manacles from his bag and attaching them to the guard's wrists, so that his limbs are disabled. "Very good." he states, "I hope any other guards haven't noticed us yet."

The guard lamely struggles to escape the manacles, which he is not nearly strong or dexterous enough to do. He makes no attempt to do anything else, remaining completely stationary. His eyes remain lifeless.

You see no other guards around; the street facing the front of the mansion is clear. Checking the front door, you find that it's unlocked.

((Edit: Just realized that there's no reason for anyone to do anything but continue inside, so I'll continue))

You step inside to the audience chamber. Clearly designed for the use of the general public, it's a wide open area with a very shallow flight of stairs leading upward, draped in a red carpet.

You see Clementine standing at the top of the staircase. She sports a gawdy, over-the-top golden crown, lined with various colorful jewels. Her right hand seems to have had all the flesh and muscle stripped from it, and looks to be bare bone, though it glows with a sickly green hue (the glow is visible even to those without magical senses). She is looking away from you, clearly rankled by the assaults taking place on her mansion, but it only takes her a few seconds to notice that you've entered her domain.

There are only three armed guards, and they are standing directly in front of her. However, between the guards and you is a crowd of zombified citizens, all with dead eyes to signify that they're being controlled. None are armed, and they are all wearing regular clothing, but they have clearly been designed as a barrier between her and any potential aggressors ((you can consider them as having half of a hit die). They are not making any move to approach you.

There must be at least thirty of them, and in order to effectively clear a path through the crowd, you estimate that at least five of them would need to be moved out of the way in some form or fashion.

"You," she hisses. "So this was just a ploy to make it easier for you to get to me? So be it. You should have heeded the warning on the city gates and stayed away; you've all signed your own death warrants. I conquered this entire town singlehandedly; the four of you shouldn't prove much of a challenge. Prepare for careers as my undead servants!"

((BOSS FIGHT! On your turn, roll Initiative and then take your action. Good luck!))

Code:
Init: 1D20+7 => [ 14 ] +7 = 21

Quintus says, "Oh, bugger this! You guys, best be ready... if this works." then casts Baleful Transposition hoping to have the nearest zombie citizen swapped with Clementine.

((DC 16 vs Will. The spell info is on my character sheet if you'd like to reference it.))

((Since it's important for the rest of you to know the result of the spell, she rolled a 23 on her Will Save, so the spell didn't work and she remains in place. You will all go before the bad guys, though, since Quintus outrolled her on initiative))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Code:
Initiative: Rolling a 20-sided dice, 1 time(s):  3 + 4 = 7 :(

Caught off guard by the revelation of the crowd of citizens and the failed spell, Ivor takes a knock to his morale. He decides to adopt a strategy of range and extreme caution so he is never in touch range of Clementine.

Suddenly the dark thoughts of what his bomb could be used for run through his head. The citizens... Clementine herself...

"Gods... Men, should I give Clementine the drink?" His breathing intensifies. "Y'know, the drink!"

((Got anything flammable to cast, Quintus, like grease?))

Mike M

Nick N
((Just going to take it for granted that Kaff put away the sap and drew his rapier before charging in.))

Kaff is not surprised to find a horde of zombies acting as a barrier between the warriors and Clementine.  The guards out front had laughably easy to dispatch, and the signal had gone off early.  The signal entrusted to the tiefling wench who's loyalty was to the highest bidder, and somehow Kaff doubted Elric had much coin available.  His every instinct was screaming "setup."

The thought to ask Quintus about his "plan B" dies on his lips as Quintus beats him to the punch with the spell, but to no avail.  He curses to himself, as that was the best idea he had.

Thankfully, Ivor is doing a bit better at lateral thinking, and suggests his firebomb that fortuitously went unused during their brief attack on the guards outside.  "Why yes, I'd say she does look positively parched."

Turning to Sarm, he asks, "You're a man of faith, can you repel them in any fashion?  Make a hole in her barrier for us to pass through if Ivor's idea fails?"

((Really at a loss as to what to do on this turn.  Clearly not going to be able to lie my way out of this, and I don't want to get close to her, so... Yeah.  Guess I'm invoking total defense until things play out a bit more?  Idunno.))

((I have a feeling Sarm is going to make a big impact on the battle on his turn, so if you want, you can just hold your action until after Sarm does his thing))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((I'm not sure if I should wait for the next turn to have Ivor throw this bomb on anything Quintus can cast, since a lot can happen until then. I'm inching towards it being lit and thrown at Clementine now rather than later but I'll wait for a little more input before my turn is decided.))

Ed: ((Gotcha.))

"Quiet yourselves." Sarm booms, directed at his companions to cocere them into delaying their panic, and having to keep his voice from being a shout. The Cleric then steps forward to call out, "I heed no warning which serves to guide me away from my path."

Sarm places his hand on his breastplate, and soon light begins radiating from the cracks and escaping from him. He becomes a radiance that shines in the eyes of the droned citizens, and its effect will be that they will be compelled to run from him, hopefully leaving a path for him and his companions to fight Clemantine and her guards. As he will display, fear is a power that can overcome control.

Sarm radiates with the light of Pelor, which serves to drive his enemies away from him in spite of the evil power of the hand of Vecna.

((I rolled the dice for Sarm's Turn Undead ability. d20 + 4 (cleric level) + Cha modifier = 17, so the zombified citizens will all be affected; 2d6 = 5, so 10 HD worth of zombies will be driven away))

Overwhelmed by the radiance of Sarm's formidable god, twenty of the zombified citizens impulsively flee, running past Clementine, despite her protests for them to stay put. The three armed guards stand their ground, but the path leading to them is suddenly much clearer (you can reach them in one move action). However, if you wish to actually reach Clementine, you will have to get past her three guards. One is a zombified Minotaur, wielding a two-handed battle axe; one is a human, dual-wielding daggers; and the last is Klaus, your former boss (well, actually Kaff wouldn't recognize him, but the rest of you do), wielding a rapier.

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff is reasonably sure the minotaur is a Vecna cultist, but the other two might be Alydarians. He has no desire to witness the immolation of innocents today, and opts to engage the dagger-wielding guardian with the express purpose of luring him away from Kaff's estimation of the effective area of Ivor's firebomb.

Code:
Attack Roll:  1d20 + 9 = 23
Damage:  1d6 + 6 = 12
((Rolled for attack for lack of knowing what else I could roll, and of course did my maximum non-critical damage. Is there a specific mechanic for trying to guide a fight in a particular direction without trying to actually kill your opponent?))

((There's no actual mechanic to try and lure someone away from the spot where they're standing; the best you could normally hope for would be to taunt them into it, maybe with a Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate roll. However, the zombies are specifically staying very close to Clementine and aren't even moving to approach you; they are firmly planted and waiting for you to come to them. It seems reasonable to assume that they've been ordered to stay put and protect her at all costs.

The attack you just made would hit, so if you want to go ahead and apply that to one of the zombies, you can.

Also, Ivor, if you want to just use a Move action to light your Molotov cocktail and then throw it with your Standard Action, you can. I don't think there are any rules for it, so I'm going to treat it like a non-magical Fireball spell equivalent to Caster Level 5, except that you have to roll as though you were firing a ranged weapon and hit a 10 AC (the AC of the floor).))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Okay, so is the dagger wielder the only hostile being taken care of at the moment? I imagine Ivor is having serious trouble about deciding on an action. He'll wait and use his firebomb later (citizens and Klaus in the way), so for the time being he will draw his crossbows, entering total defence and moving away from melee range whenever possible?))

((Okay, so Ivor is on Total Defense, Sarm used Turn Undead, and Quintus attempted Baleful Transposition. Kaff, did you want to go ahead and use that attack on one of the targets, or do something else this turn?))

((One more thing I should mention; if you really want to charge past the zombies and try to attack her, you could do so, but the zombies would be able to wail on you as you ran past by taking Opportunity Attacks.

Bad guy turns:

Clementine casts Fireball on Sarm, Quintus, and Ivor. Everyone make a Reflex save, DC 16. If you failed the save, take 21 Fire damage. If you made the save, take 10 (or none if you're Ivor and you made it).

Minotaur attacks Kaff with the Axe. d20 + 6 = 10; miss.

Dual-Wielder attacks Kaff twice: 18 and 7, one hit. Kaff takes 7 damage.

Klaus is not in range to attack Kaff, so he stays in place))

As the party barges into the front door, for a moment they are lost in despair, as they witness the crowd of innocents that Clementine intends to use as a buffer. Quintus attempts to use a spell to transport her directly into their range, but it's to no avail; she seems to have a formidable defense against those types of of magic.

However, Sarm saves the day, wielding his Holy Symbol which glows with a holy light, and Pelor's divine grace sends the undead reflexively fleeing.

"Where are you GOING?!" Clementine shouts angrily, clearly unprepared for such a display. "Get back here!" But they don't listen, filtering into doorways toward the back of the room.

Kaff uses the opening to charge forward, skewering the dagger-wielding zombie with his rapier and leaving a rather nasty cut; the zombie is damaged, but doesn't seem to feel it, immediately striking back with both of his daggers, one of them managing to slash into Kaff's flesh. The minotaur, who upon closer inspection is far too big to fit into the uniform he's been made to wear, awkwardly attempts to strike Kaff, but Kaff easily dodges out of the way of the clumsy creature.

Clementine waves her arms and utters the proper words, and an explosion of fire erupts around the three party members who stayed back, potentially causing severe damage. She glances at Klaus, and sighs frustratedly; clearly her instructions were a little TOO precise.

((Begin Round 2))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Code:
Rolling a 20-sided dice, 2 time(s):  19 10

Reflex: 19 + 9 = 28
Throw firebomb: 10 (just managed)

Reacting to the sudden fireball spell Ivor effortlessly leaps away from the fiery explosion, but his cocky satisfaction turns to horror at what may have happened to Sarm and Quintus - As well as the opposition that Kaff faces alone!

As both attacks missed Kaff, Ivor decides that now is the time to throw his bomb. He curses himself at what he is about to do to Klaus, his friend and employer, but the magic Clementine wields is far too deadly to be allowed to continue. "Gods forgive me, again..."

He shouts at the top of his voice. "Kaff, fall back! Retrieve your rapier if you can! If they want fire they're going to get it. Bottoms up!" Withdrawing his firebomb he lights the cloth and tosses it to Clementine's feet, or as close as possible.

Mike M

Nick N
Kaff inwardly chides himself.  Approaching this as any other mundane fight, acting with the expectation of normal responses and reactions from these opponents is liable to get himself killed.  He had landed as mighty a blow as he could muster on the zombie, and it had hardly flinched.  Earned himself a stab wound to boot.

Ivor's warning is superfluous, as Kaff has already given up his strategy of luring the bodyguards out of range as lost and is beating a hasty retreat.  He points the tip of his rapier at each of the impassive undead trio in turn as he backs away, putting distance between himself and both them as well as the conflagration that has engulfed his comrades.

He can only hope they have survived, and by standing apart make it so that Clementine cannot focus attention to all of them at once...

((Total defense this turn))

Code:
Reflex: 1D20+5 => [ 13 ] +5 = 18
((glad i made that, other wise I'd be dieing right now...))

Quintus is able to avoid a direct hit, but not being quite as nimble as Ivor, still gets a nasty burn. Not willing to stand around and let this to happen again, he moves away from his allies, shouts an expletive at Clementine and casts Grease right under her, and her body guards, feet.(assuming they are all close enough to be hit by the aoe.)

Code:
Initiative (I forgot to roll this): 1D20+1 => [ 18 ] +1 = 19

Reflex: 1D20+3 => [ 1 ] +3 = 4

Sarm gets blasted directly with the fireball, which would give great alarm as to his state... But as the flames clear about... He is seen standing with his arms crossed in front of his face, clearly damaged, but still very much living and only seeming that much more threatening as now two tricks that Clementine used did not work to stop him.

Sarm moves across the room, and says, "If she wishes those men to stay close, then they shall remain close." And casts the Silence spell around her area.

((This is not guaranteed to work, but hopefully it will))

((Bad guy turns:

Clementine tries to cast a spell, and fails because of the Silence. She then moves out of the Grease and Silence Spells' areas of effect.

The three zombies all fall on their faces, and use their turns to stand up))

After nearly getting burned to a crisp, the party works quickly to separate and attempt to disable their foes from afar. Kaff widens the gap between himself and his foes, taking this turn to regroup. Quintus casts a spell which coats the ground with a slippery substance, causing the three zombies to tumble; Clementine manages to keep her footing.

As the Grease spell takes hold, Ivor flings his lit Molotov cocktail directly into the center of it, erupting in a messy explosion that deals the Grease-covered Zombies 26 damage and 21 to Clementine herself.

Clementine attempts to shout expletives and return fire with some sort of magic spell, but the effort is lost, as Sarm's silence spell, which she never noticed him cast, prevents the spell from working. She attempts to bark orders to the zombies, but unfortunately for her, that effort is ALSO lost. She spends the rest of her turn carefully navigating through the grease puddle in order to back out of the Silence-afflicted area. As for the zombies themselves, once the flames subside, they are able to somehow stand up, though the dagger-wielder looks to be in rather sorry shape.

((The battlefield positioning has gotten kind of complicated this turn, so let me make sure I have it right: The three zombies are still standing in a row, with Clementine now further back behind them, and the four of you are probably spread out in roughly semi-circular formation, with the zombies forming the straight edge of that semi-circle. If that disagrees with how one of you wants to be positioned, you are welcome to correct me.

Your turn to start Round 3))

Quintus drops some Glitterdust right on top of Clementine's position, hopefully blinding her. He then draws his crossbow.

((DC 16 Will. Also I'm assuming the guards are out of AoE range for that spell, but if they are not, obviously I try to hit them as well.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Alright, so I'm assuming the bodyguards are lined up Klaus, Minotaur, then dagger-dude, and Kaff is the end point of the arc of heroes at dagger-dude's side of the line? Is there room enough to sidle past them and try and close in on Clementine without provoking an AoO?))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((I need to know what options are available to us in terms of movement and cover. I'm guessing that any moves the party make will be matched by a henchman but there are four PCs and three of the armed enemies. Whoever is last to act will likely be able to damage Clementine, so Ivor will likely stay at long range and move behind solid cover somewhere in the room where there is protection from spells. If there is a clear shot at her he can fire.))

((Alright, so I'm assuming the bodyguards are lined up Klaus, Minotaur, then dagger-dude, and Kaff is the end point of the arc of heroes at dagger-dude's side of the line? Is there room enough to sidle past them and try and close in on Clementine without provoking an AoO?))

((Sliding in the grease? Fuck yes.))

Mike M

Nick N
((I was talking about just side-stepping around them, but sliding through the grease past them sounds much more badass! Provided it's not still burning...))

((I could probably one shot anybody I wanted right now, but that would likely get people killed and also requires me to get close which is where he could get touched by the Hand of Vecna. I could also try Hold Person, but being a Mage Clementine's Will save is probably a thing.))

(They have the room pretty well-covered to where you'd have to risk the AoO. You could try to get past Klaus on the edge and only risk him attacking you.

This is also a good place to use Tumble, if it's one of your class skills. If you can make it past the three squares he's threatening with a DC 15 tumble check through each one, you'll avoid getting AoO'd.

Oh, I just saw the bit about sliding on the grease. I'll tell you what, I like the idea. If you want to try it, then give me a Balance check, DC 15. If you make it, you'll be able to slide right between the guys without getting attacked. But you'll have to go right between two of them since that's where the grease is thickest, so if you fail the check, you'll be getting attacked twice! Double the risk, double the reward!))

((I need to know what options are available to us in terms of movement and cover. I'm guessing that any moves the party make will be matched by a henchman but there are four PCs and three of the armed enemies. Whoever is last to act will likely be able to damage Clementine, so Ivor will likely stay at long range and move behind solid cover somewhere in the room where there is protection from spells. If there is a clear shot at her he can fire.))

((There isn't really any cover to speak of - at least not in this section of the room - unless you want to use some of the straggling zombie citizens as cover (there are still a few standing around). They won't block line of sight though, however they will give anyone who tries to attack you at range a -2 penalty (for example, if Clementine attempted to hit you with a ray, or somebody threw something at you). You can also attempt to shoot at her, but she's receiving cover from her bodyguards so you'll be at a -2.

And Sarm, yes, any of those are viable options. ))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((That's not a bad penalty. I just need luck and to decide whether or not Ivor should dual wield this round.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Going for spectacle over practicality!))

While they are dealing damage to Clementine's personal guard, Kaff recognizes that this could quickly pivot into a costly battle of attrition that leaves them in ill form to face Clementine herself. Spying the grease on the ground, a daring gambit springs to his mind. It is risky, far more risk than he is accustomed to taking, but it could bring this to a swift conclusion if he is successful.

He sprints forward and leaps into the grease slick, balancing himself to stay upright as he attempts to slide right between two of his opponents...

Code:
Balance check:  1d20 + 7 = 23!  Woot!

...and he seemingly effortlessly slides between them, coming to a stop right before Clementine. He hopes he's close enough that she doesn't dare use a spell without fear of getting caught in the effect, but at the same time hopes he can manage to stay out of reach of her ghastly grip. "I don't supposed I can convince you to surrender quietly? Regicide is such a nasty affair..."

Clementine blinks as she processes Kaff's request. "Why, I do believe you have me cornered, sir. Please, don't be too hard on me. I am, after all, a simple teenage girl who merely fell prey to temptation." Her eyes look uncannily similar to those of a puppy dog.

Mike M

Nick N
((Well hot damn!))

Tilting himself at the waist in the shallowest of bows, Kaff replies, "I would so love to believe you, your 'majesty,' but I'm afraid I fail to detect conviction behind your words. Perhaps it's better this way, the people are rarely so merciful as this to their fallen monarchs." Kaff steps forward into his strike, driving his rapier into her with all his might, aiming squarely at her heart.

Code:
Attack:  1d20 + 9 +2 = 25
Damage: 1d6 + 6 = 10

"The queen is dead. Long live the queen," he whispers into her ear.

((Well won't Kaff feel silly if that's not a fatal blow. Also, probably fucked if she touches him.))

Worried about every option he has, Kaff's decision forces the party into a path they cannot come back from. There is still Klaus, who has been put under control, and is the one ally that they cannot bring harm to. Knowing that Klaus' actions are not of his own, and could provoke one of his companions into fighting back at him, he casts Hold Person on Klaus to remove him from the battle without harm, to allow his companions to work at those not as close to them.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Code:
1d20: 18 + 7 - 2 = 23 to-hit
1d4: 3 dmg (Feudz Dice is pretty cool)

Rather amazed at the effect of his alcoholic explosive and heartened to see no thrall felled by it, Ivor rises from his crouched position to see Kaff slide to what may be victory.

"Queen? I doubt she has the credentials." Offended by her false appeal he raises one hand, aims down the sight and fires at Clementine. Only now can the people of Alydar be free.

((We'll start with what's going on mechanically. The Glitterdust failed to work on Clementine, and although the zombies were within range, they also made their saves against it.

Both attacks hit her, but she is still alive.

Klaus failed his save against Hold Person, so he is currently unable to move.

Their turns:

Clementine attempts to grab Kaff. d20 + 7 = 17 vs Touch Armor Class; hits. Make a Fortitude save AND a Will save. Each is DC 18. If you fail either one, you lose your next action, and some other stuff happens that we'll deal with after the rolls are made.

The two armed zombies (sans Klaus) move for Kaff, but will only attack him if he makes his saves. So, I'll make the attack rolls, but Kaff, if you fail, these attacks aren't actually happening.

Minotaur attacks: d20 + 6 =17; that should hit, with your -2 from Charging. 17 damage.

Knife-wielder attacks: d20 + 9 = 16; I think that misses you by 1. In case I'm wrong though, it would be 5 damage.

Klaus attempts to break free of the Hold Person. d20 + 2 = 15, fail.))

Sarm's earlier Silence spell has produced a drastic change on the battle landscape, rendering the zombie guards unable to hear her commands and causing them to continue ignoring anyone who doesn't move toward Clementine, while simultaneously forcing her away from the guards if she wants to cast her spells. Quintus attempts to further cement their advantage by creating a screen of Glitterdust to render her unable to see, but she is able to resist the spell fairly easily (will save of 24), while Sarm seeks to prevent any harm from coming to the unfortunate Klaus by using Hold Person to keep him firmly in place; for the time being, it seems to be working.

Kaff and Ivor both move to take the queen down. Kaff charges forward, using the grease slick from Quintus's spell as an accelerator, and putting on an impressive display of ducks and slide flips while in motion in order to deftly evade the guards' attempts to stop him. While sliding through the area, the sudden total silence is somewhat jarring, but not enough to affect him as he glides ahead and thrusts with his rapier. Although he doesn't quite get her heart as she does an awkward sidestep, he does put a nasty gouge in her, followed up immediately by a crossbow bolt to the shoulder, courtesy of Ivor.

Clementine looks to be badly wounded and in trouble, but she is not entirely out of it. Summoning up all her willpower, she refrains from recoiling away from the blow Kaff has just dealt her, and instead moves forward, clutching his arm with her skeletal hand. He feels an evil, dark power seep into his skin, and it begins to claw at both his mind and his body simultaneously....

((I'll wait for Save results before continuing the description. The rest of you may try to take actions in the interim, unless you prefer waiting to see what happens to Kaff first.))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((No way, we are taking her down! What attack penalties still apply for Ivor in shooting at Clementine? I'll roll anyway.))

Witnessing Clementine grasp Kaff, Ivor is tempted to run at her and plunge his daggers into the witch's back while she is occupied. Fortunately he comes to his senses and notices just how bad a state she is in.

"Just hold on," he grunts under his breath. Looking to the party, Ivor signals for them to unleash what they've got now that Klaus is safely held. At least what will cause the least collateral damage...

Code:
2d20: [url=http://i.imgur.com/n3Sp4.jpg]18, 20[/url] !!
Attack 1: 18 + 7 - 2 = 23 to-hit
Attack 2: 20 + 7 - 2 = 25 to-hit [url=http://i.imgur.com/oJDTl.jpg](crit, 1 confirm wtf)[/url]

2d4: 2, 4
Attack 1: 2 dmg
Attack 2: 4 dmg

((Not even bothering to roll for crit damage. Please add what other penalties are needed.))

Quintus curses himself, his spell apparently being a failure, doing little more then making them a little shinny. He decides maybe a little brute force might make him feel a little better and she isn't looking like she probably can't take much more anyways... so he loads his crossbow and fires away.

Code:
 Crossbow Attack: 1D20+6 => [ 7 ] +6 = 13
Damage: 1D8+1 => [ 4 ] +1 = 5
((...I do not have high hopes for that roll))

Sarm trembles in frustration as he underestimated the young girl's will to stay in, having judged the fight as over before it had begun, and is already blaming himself for what is happening to Kaff.

((Going to wait to see what his will save results in before acting))

Mike M

Nick N
((Alright, let's see how bad I just fucked up...))

Code:
Fortitude save:  1d20 + 5 = 22
Willpower save:  1d20 + 2 = 22!

((Photo evidence. Shit, I was about ready to trash this character concept and everything.  Alright, so Minotaur hits, knife guy misses, I'm down to 6HP and probably am not going to survive another hit.))

Songbird

Prodigal Son
((Alright, let's see how bad I just fucked up...))

Code:
Fortitude save:  1d20 + 5 = 22
Willpower save:  1d20 + 2 = 22!

((Photo evidence. Shit, I was about ready to trash this character concept and everything.  Alright, so Minotaur hits, knife guy misses, I'm down to 6HP and probably am not going to survive another hit.))

((You need a one liner. I hope it's a good one after getting a 20 on your will save! Btw, what app is that? Looks very useful, as Feudz Dice doesn't keep a record of rolls.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Was going to go with "Ow, a minotaur just hit me with a really big axe," but how about this:))

Kaff feels the encroaching otherness slithering through his  being, trying to usurp his body, his very soul.  But just as he's about to succumb to the darkness, he focuses on the last dwindling point of light and remembers... He remembers his unfinished business, that he has a debt to repay, and the words of the man who instructed him on the ways of the world telling him he must always make good on what he owes.

Clawing from the darkness with indomitable will, he forces Clementine's influence from his mind as he reasserts control.  "Looks like your dark god has forsaken you, my dear.  How unfortunate for you that the same cannot be said about my companions."

((App is called Gamer's Toolkit.  It's not as functional as I would like, but it's workable once you set everything up.  The author was very receptive to the list of constructive criticism I sent in, promised some significant changes in the next update.

Doesn't keep a record of rolls though, once you navigate away from that window, it's gone. Also, the 3.5 module isn't free : / ))

Before walking into the radius where sound is halted, the Cleric casts a spell of positive energy, and then moves towards the Minotaur ((Hopefully I can move by him without provoking from anywhere)) to shove the energy to it. He hopes the lesser spell as maximized would be powerful enough to down it but be weak enough not to destroy it.

((Casting Cure Light Wounds, and maximizing for 12 damage.))

((Wow... well I can't argue with that, lol. I had an Intelligent Zombie template ready to give you and everything. Well done!))

The despair can be seen in Clementine's eyes as she witnesses the Hand of Vecna fail to do its duty, and that image is frozen on her face as two bolts from Ivor's crossbow bury themselves in her midsection and she falls limply to the ground. Half of her forearm (it was covered by her sleeve, but now you see that the skeletal quality of her hand extended down that far) falls off of her body, and once it lands on the ground, it transforms into a black gauntlet, glowing pale with the same energies that it had been emanating earlier.

All four of you see the zombies in the room immediately start to act somewhat more naturally. The minotaur, weakened by Sarm's spell but still standing, starts tearing off the city guard uniform that's too small for him, the dagger-wielder looks around in confusion, and the remaining citizens do the same. Klaus is still held by Sarm's spell, frozen in place and unable to move.

Moments later, Elric, Lysa, Elmina, and Arianna enter from the western door, and not long after, Leeta comes in from the other side.

"Well done," says Elric. He walks to Clementine's body and crouches down to look at the Hand. "Something will have to be done about this. I think it's fair to say that it's no longer secure here." He eyes the minotaur suspiciously; the injured creature is mostly naked, save a pair of long johns, and although it has its eyes on the Hand, it also recognizes how severely outnumbered it is, and is trying to slowly make an exit.

"Davos and Kempok ran away as soon as all the zombies went back to normal," says Leeta. "They figured their part of the bargain was done."

The treasury of the mansion contains 20,000 gold. Clementine herself was wearing a Headband of Intellect +4 (gives a +4 enhancement bonus to Intelligence).

Everyone gains a level, and should now be at Level 5.

((It's up to you all to guide the storyline now. I'll provide feedback from NPCs as necessary, but now that the danger is over, you guys can sort everything out through roleplay))

Top Bottom