• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Capcom USA Community Rep: Monster Hunter news "veeeeery soon"

The game pretty much was already translated - why would they have to wait that long to announce a western version ? This 3DS title seems like free-money to me, especially after they sold already more than expected in Japan. Wasnt there a post where the Capcom guy ( Svensson i think) pretty much confirmed that MH would need a online component to succeed in western markets ?
“Monster Hunter at its heart is a cooperative multiplayer game and for our market, online play is essential. The adhoc-only approach for the US market is, more often than not, too large of a barrier to find mass acceptance.” - Sven

Ridley327

I don't think they're teasing MH3. MH3 in the west is DEAD. It's MH4 they're teasing.

I don't think that Capcom announces Monster Hunter titles for the west until after they're released in Japan. An early MH4 announcement seems unlikely, especially with the release date being in flux.

SteveWD40

Yeah I can't see it being about MH4, unless they decide to do a worldwide release (they won't).

IIRC Capcom have always released MH in Japan, gone quiet for months, announced localization and then a few months later we lower species are graced with the game (nearly a year later at times), I can't see this being different. Not getting P3rd has spooked some people tho think they don't care about the western market at all now I think.

Has Capcom ever put out the sales numbers for Monster Hunter in nonjapan territories?
I'd figure that even with NA and EU combined, that the games aren't exactly power houses for capcom. Which would mean they release them more so just because MH has a diehard community.
For Tri, according to NPD it sold more than 400k in the US alone, making it one of Capcom USA's better selling SKUs in recent years. Capcom's shipments show around 800k for the west.

Codeblue

Boy did he walk into a tough job.

I don't think it's too bad. Sven makes his job harder than it needs to be because he doesn't know when to shut up. I think I could go on their boards and ask when Capcom is going to start making their own console and he'd still try to play up expectations.

watershed

Banned
So before we were told we would have news of some sort by the end of the year. Now we are told "veeeeery soon". To me very soon is a matter of weeks not months.

So before we were told we would have news of some sort by the end of the year. Now we are told "veeeeery soon". To me very soon is a matter of weeks not months.

That's why I said GDC, since they have a title to announce there (it might well be Darkstalkers or EX Troopers though).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
My dear "new Capcom community rep",

please note that I would really love to be allowed to purchase* a PAL copy of MHTriG within the end of this year, while waiting for MH4 for 2013

Sincerely

A PAL 3ds owner

*purchase means that I'd buy the game giving you my fuc*** money, so stop bitchin' around.

SteveWD40

My dear "new Capcom community rep",

please note that I would really love to be allowed to purchase* a PAL copy of MHTriG within the end of this year, while waiting for MH4 for 2013

Sincerely

A PAL 3ds owner

*purchase means that I'd buy the game giving you my fuc*** money, so stop bitchin' around.

Signed.

Peru

I swear I will be in tears if I'm teased and disappointed by more events 'potentially' featuring MH3G news. E3 was the big one, felt like a punch in the gut.

My thoughts are that Capcom is working with Nintendo so closely at this point that they have held MH launches to get in on the first non-standard coloring of the 3ds XL. It'll be a Monster Hunter Bundle for Christmas which is, time frame wise, probably around the time Nintendo mixes in new colors anyways.

I swear I will be in tears if I'm teased and disappointed by more events 'potentially' featuring MH3G news. E3 was the big one, felt like a punch in the gut.
And August is packed with events, GDC, GamesCon and Nintendo Direct.

I can't keep with this life, every morning I wake up expecting some kinda news, a misery.

My thoughts are that Capcom is working with Nintendo so closely at this point that they have held MH launches to get in on the first non-standard coloring of the 3ds XL. It'll be a Monster Hunter Bundle for Christmas which is, time frame wise, probably around the time Nintendo mixes in new colors anyways.

Thinking about it, a themed 3DSXL / Circle Pad Pro XL bundle would make sense.
Now I wish you hadn't said that because I hate seeing my hopes crushed even more.

SteveWD40

Makes sense though, they did the black Wii bundle with MH Tri and that did pretty well. Maybe a Black 3DSXL for Xmas with Tri 3g and the new CPP for the XL...

I want to believe something good will come of this. But for me, this will end in trolling or disappointment...

PS:

No more misspellings

Pikma

Banned
Okay, GAF, this will be my first time doing this, but I'll just go ahead and do it.

First, I know many people will call me out, because I can't point to my source, and I can't tell many details, I know I would do the same, to my defence all I can say is that many Gaffers know me by now, I've never been banned, I've never lied, I've always been a serious poster, well not that serious, but not in a bad way anyway. :p

So here is the thing...

I can CONFIRM you guys that Monster Hunter will indeed arrive to the 3DS in North America (I don't really know about Europe's situation though), that will obviously be in 2013, what game will it be? will it be both 3G and 4? I can't be too specific, but there are two probable cases:

1) If 3G gets here we will also get 4.

2) If 3G doesn't come, that'll confirm 4 will be here.

Both cases we win.
I know this is more of a Cpt. Obvious thing, because it has been already teased, at least subtly, but I'm getting into this, so fans of the series can rest assured that the west will get their MH fix on their 3DS. Why I want them to know? because I know how it feels to be a waiting fan, I'm still waiting for my F-Zero fix, and my Dreamfall Chapters.

Edit: Wait, Confirming something without giving it's source is bannable? because if that's so, I'll just delete this, I don't want to get in any trouble.

demigod

Okay, GAF, this will be my first time doing this, but I'll just go ahead and do it.

First, I know many people will call me out, because I can't point to my source, and I can't tell many details, I know I would do the same, to my defence all I can say is that many Gaffers know me by now, I've never been banned, I've never lied, I've always been a serious poster, well not that serious, but not in a bad way anyway. :p

So here is the thing...

I can CONFIRM you guys that Monster Hunter will indeed arrive to the 3DS in North America (I don't really know about Europe's situation though), that will obviously be in 2013, what game will it be? will it be both 3G and 4? I can't be too specific, but there are two probable cases:

Both cases we win.
I know this is more of a Cpt. Obvious thing, because it has been already teased, at least subtly, but I'm getting into this, so fans of the series can rest assured that the west will get their MH fix on their 3DS. Why I want them to know? because I know how it feels to be a waiting fan, I'm still waiting for my F-Zero fix, and my Dreamfall Chapters.

Edit: Wait, Confirming something without giving it's source is bannable? because if that's so, I'll just delete this, I don't want to get in any trouble.

lol, in one hand you are confirming it. On the other hand, you are guessing. That's not a confirmation dude, what is your source, kotaku?

So here is the thing...

Both cases we win.

I mean nothing you said has been proven false yet. As long as we get MH4 you'd be correct.

Pikma

Banned
I'm confirming Monster Hunter is coming to the west, but I can say more than that, that's why I'm giving you 2 possible cases, I'm not pulling it out of my ass, why would I want to get in a trouble like this? I don't have you clicking links to dubious blogs so I can get hits, I'm not doing it for any reason other than the one I've already stated.

Peru

My real worry isn't never seeing MH in the West again.. it's 3G not coming. So while I'm happy there's a future, I'd prefer a rumour that said "I can confirm 3g" :b

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's seriously your real worry? I mean, of all the Monster Hunter games to come to the West, you'd take a port of one that's already released here?
Port? It's an expanded version, not a port, there's lots of new content, especially for people who didn't get 3rd (but even for them). Anyway, maybe he really loves Tri and wants to get the most of it before 4 ditches some of its introduced features, or he doesn't want to wait another year to get new Monster Hunter content, or he didn't get Tri at all as he was waiting for the G version, or...

Kusagari

I see zero point in 3G at this point. It's just too late. Capcom already long went over the time when that should have been released.

It will be MH4, if anything.

Iceblade

Anyway, maybe he really loves Tri and wants to get the most of it before 4 ditches some of its introduced features, or he doesn't want to wait another year to get new Monster Hunter content, or he didn't get Tri at all as he was waiting for the G version, or...

That's fine, except my point was regarding why you would only worry about not getting a Monster Hunter title that had, for the most part, already been released here on another console. It's akin to saying that if you could only ever play one more sequel to your favourite franchise again, ever, you would pick an "expanded" port over a brand new iteration. Seems like a waste.

Pikma

Banned
I see zero point in 3G at this point. It's just too late. Capcom already long went over the time when that should have been released.

It will be MH4, if anything.

There's still a big gap of time between when 4 releases in Japan and the time it takes Capcom to localize it, so don't rule out that one yet, but yeah, 4 is coming.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's fine, except my point was regarding why you would only worry about not getting a Monster Hunter title that had, for the most part, already been released here on another console. It's akin to saying that if you could only ever play one more sequel to your favourite franchise again, ever, you would pick an "expanded" port over a brand new iteration. Seems like a waste.
But he didn't say anything like that, he just showed he's confident the franchise will be getting localized in the future, and just worried that it is likely it would skip TriG considering the delay and lack of news. Anyway, lots of people love G rank the most, which is why these re-releases sell a ton of copies too, and it will be a while before we get a new sequel with it (4G).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I always love the "time it takes to localise it" line of reasoning. This franchise has become Capcom's biggest earner without even touching the rest of the world. The very idea they couldnt develop the online features for the west alongside a poxy text only translation alongside the japanese version at the same time as they do for all their other goddam AAA titles is madness.

I think I'm beyond caring now the wait has been so long since Tri and two whole iterations have come and gone. These recent Tencent rumblings and images are of far more interest to me.

Iceblade

But he didn't say anything like that

But he did:

My real worry isn't never seeing MH in the West again.. it's 3G not coming.

He's essentially saying "I'm not worried if no more Monster Hunter titles ever come to the West, as long as we get 3G".

So yeah, let's not get into a semantic argument about it. That's pretty much what he was saying at a base level, as to whether or not that was his intent is uncertain.

Either way though, if you ask me, I hope we see as many Monster Hunter titles over here are possible! :) That's for sure.

Peru

What Alex said - I'm pretty sure MH4 is coming, so I'm not worried about that, but I'm worried MH3G isn't. And so far MH Tri is the best Monster Hunter game, and a version with more monsters, locales, modes and better looking character models would be, until a new game proves otherwise, my ultimate MH experience.

Top Bottom