• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Fotos

I just realized the progression system has only been said to cover Spartan Ops and War Games - not Campaign. Campaign is supposed to be clearly separated from Infinity on the main menu, too. Hopefully this doesn't mean Campaign won't give XP, or that there won't be any Campaign challenges.

Saw some footage from PAX showing the challenges page and there were 3 sections for challenges. War Games, Spartan Ops, and Campaign

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I just realized the progression system has only been said to cover Spartan Ops and War Games - not Campaign. Campaign is supposed to be clearly separated from Infinity on the main menu, too. Hopefully this doesn't mean Campaign won't give XP, or that there won't be any Campaign challenges.

That would kill replay value for me only slightly.

Who am I kidding? I'm going to spend hours upon hours forging and not earn a single point!

Omni

No, i was being serious, I really don't get why it isn't there..maybe just a last minute bug?
Probably something they simply overlooked...

Though I guess I'm probably nitpicking. I mean, thinking back I didn't actually use the icon all that much in previous titles.

Computron

i4jN9t2sAp2K5.gif

DAT lens flare!

DAT 3D Bobbling HUD!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok that's it for me. Wanted to spend my last few hours awake playing some games but instead I spent it trying to fix a stream that wouldn't work and uploading a shaky cam footage with shitty/no audio lol.

All for my love of HaloGAF <3

Next time I'll be more prepared.

edit: Also, Hearing Frankie say,
Didact
was so weird. I mean, I don't really know shit about it but it just felt top secret :lol

(Don't highlight if you're staying dark or haven't seen the GTTV tonight)

Fotos

Ok that's it for me. Wanted to spend my last few hours awake playing some games but instead I spent it trying to fix a stream that wouldn't work and uploading a shaky cam footage with shitty/no audio lol.

<3

Just that shaky cam footage was enough to hold me over so much thanks good sir. :)

L1NETT

Just woke up, missed everything lol. The shay cam footage is appreciated Tashi, it is also consistent with how we have seen much of Halo 4 ;-)

On the ghost .gif, the little red waypoints above the elites heads? Are they for only when you are in a vehicle?

zap

edit: Also, Hearing Frankie say,
Didact
was so weird. I mean, I don't really know shit about it but it just felt top secret :lol

(Don't highlight if you're staying dark or haven't seen the GTTV tonight)

Thanks!! It'll hold me over nicely :)

So who had the idea to call "Haven" "Solace"? Was it Demon?

Embargo lifts tomorrow on other press I believe. So there will be loads more.

Not a coincidence.
At what time does the embargo lift tomorrow?

New map coming in 7 minutes
Embargo ends at 12am according to Polygon writer Arthur Gies.

Anyone know when it will be on the internet?
Official? It will be up after it aired at the West Coast. So you can expect it in ~3hours?

Kibbles

Ugh it's going to be a while :( Gotta finishing encode the edit which is ~15min. (screwed up the first time since it records at 60fps but then Sony Vegas blurred all the frames since it resampled and it looked like shit, so I'm trying turning off the resample) Then gotta upload to Youtube.

[edit] Oh so embargo ends in 43min. Hm

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Demoncarnotaur said:
Secondary weapon UI element.

No, i was being serious, I really don't get why it isn't there..maybe just a last minute bug?

No. Not a bug. Weird emergent UI decision based on a number of factors. At first my mind was blown, because I found out about it in a review meeting internally, but then it was pointed out to me I had been playing like that for six months and never noticed - just like the grand majority of test subjects. That's the symptom, but the reason is slightly more layered.

* There are so many weapons that silhouettes become semi-meaningless. Sure you can see a plasma pistol, but by the time players get to concussion rifle versus plasma mortar, those start to lose mnemonic cohesion. You add in several geometric and semi-symmetrical forerunner weapons, DMR versus BR, increased necessary sandbox cycling in campaign, MP and SPOPs, playlist/mode cycling and several other scenarios you can fill in yourself, as well as multiple user selectable load outs, it became apparent through testing and data that the most effective method for payers to understand what their secondary weapon was - was the weapon switch button, followed surprisingly, by memory. The experience and data around those allow us to reduce UI clutter by one item. And the HUD, while in some ways more subtle In terms of saturation and brightness now, needs as much clarity and simplicitly as possible to increase immersion and enhance gameplay space without letting its animation and audio do more than increase the sense of 'place 'in the user FOV.

It's an almost invisible and very subtle change for a very subtle improvement in the experience on balance. In certain game modes, Snipers for example, it's easy to see why it doesn't matter. But ironically player load outs vastly improve player awareness about what secondaries are. Worst case scenario, you will barely notice and get used to it. Best case scenario it will streamline your experience and in a hyper edge case, save your life when an enemy Tag appears in that extra real estate.

That's an experiential description, not necessarily the design breakdown.

Vire

I can't believe I'm staying up till 3 AM...

But that GTTV episode left me so hyped. I just re-watched it and the campaign looks absolutely stunning.

One thing I do hope is we still get a Covenant themed multiplayer level. It would be a shame if the rest of the unrevealed bunch were solely Forerunner.

Kibbles

Uploading to youtube. 41min remaining. :S Embargo will be 20min gone already and there'll probably be tons of higher quality direct feed footage that is not plastered with GTTV logos, and not taken from an analog capture (damn HDCP).

imvCBZl7oKGT5.gif

senador

Banned
Sorry, fuel rod cannon, have always thought of it as handheld plasma mortar from Wraith.

Shenanigans!

Uploading to youtube. 41min remaining. :S Embargo will be 20min gone already and there'll probably be tons of higher quality direct feed footage that is not plastered with GTTV logos, and not taken from an analog capture (damn HDCP).

imvCBZl7oKGT5.gif

Is that the Covenant attempting to glass Requiem?

feel

Come back from a few hours of BL2 coop and the thread is full of new fuckawesome gifs! Will head to bed now, I hope that footage they're from is up somewhere in great quality by the time I wake up.

Shenanigans!

Is that the Covenant attempting to glass Requiem?

That's an interesting idea, but I have a feeling it's more likely a setpiece like the Spires in Reach. Glassing a Shield World from the inside would be pretty much suicidal since you'd be making a superstructure collapse inwards--that is, making it all cave in with the central point of gravity being yourself.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I was just joking based off what that looks like in that Campaign image; there's no way they would remake Spire...

right?

Exclusive report on IGN! Confirmed via NeoGaf, 343 Industries has remade Spire from Halo:Reach! More details after the jump!

Top Bottom