• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Games: what does this thing have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marz

Has Nintendo established an account system yet? Because there's no way I'm buying full-priced retail games without an account system.

Nah. The sane line of thinking is that Nintendo is going to have it ready to gowhen Wii U launches......but Nintendo so who knows.

Definitely not getting any full retail games until that happens so i've kind of just stopped buying stuff on 3DS as i'm fully committed to digital on all my platforms nowadays.

Koroviev

Nah. The sane line of thinking is that Nintendo is going to have it ready to gowhen Wii U launches......but Nintendo so who knows.

Definitely not getting any full retail games until that happens so i've kind of just stopped buying stuff on 3DS as i'm fully committed to digital on all my platforms nowadays.

All of my 3DS and Vita games are retail carts, but it is really nice having digital PSP games as opposed to UMDs.

Marz

Yea only crappy thing IMO about digital is the pricing.

Well no resell is also no bueno but I think i'll generally get SP story games and sports games on cart and then trade them in.....don't buy many of those anyway though lolz.

MNC

Kid icarus looks amazing sans the jaggies, cant wait what kind of magic sakurai will perform on smash bros 3ds

Korosenai

So I just bought Kingdom Hearts 3ds, and it is literally the most confusing game ever.

You start out watching a cutscene of some random dude named Ansem. Then it transitions to Sora and Riku standing on a beach. Then suddenly they are in the ocean on a tiny little raft in the middle of a storm. Then out of nowhere a Phantom Ursula shows up, you defeat her, then fall into the ocean. As they are sinking, they randomly open some portal. Then it transitions to a classroom where they agree to take a test. Next thing you know you're falling through the sky and trying to kill things for points. Then when you complete that your character randomly transitions to a place called Traverse Town.

tl;dr:

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

Izick

2 Questions about the 3DS XL:

-How do regular DS games look on it?

-Is now the right time to buy? (are there any rumored price drops or reasons to hold off?)

braves01

Banned
DS games look great in 1:1 mode (with a black border around the edges), but stretched it depends on the game and your tolerance for stretching. From my experience, about half the games look fine, the other half I play in 1:1.

It's close enough to Black Friday that I'd hold out for some sales.

Borman

DS games look great in 1:1 mode (with a black border around the edges), but stretched it depends on the game and your tolerance for stretching. From my experience, about half the games look fine, the other half I play in 1:1.

It's close enough to Black Friday that I'd hold out for some sales.

Posted these earlier in the thread.

Here are direct feed shots of the 3ds playing DS games, both enlarged, and 1:1 mode.

qJBYH.png
oayt4.png

yZSyt.png
gJByl.png

hey, will buy a 3DS tomorrow and would like to know what games are the best, i plan to get:
- Ocarina of time
- 3D land

... ?

And also i never had a DS so i thought i'd play the classics ... could you guys tell me what the best games for DS were?

Is Zelda: spirit tracks worth it? Never played a pokemon, is that so good? and is the chrono trigger remake really worth it?

thanks , any suggestions would be cool. I search games that are available only on DS/3DS. Don't care for the new resident evil or stuff like that..

hey, will buy a 3DS tomorrow and would like to know what games are the best, i plan to get:
- Ocarina of time
- 3D land

... ?

And also i never had a DS so i thought i'd play the classics ... could you guys tell me what the best games for DS were?

Is Zelda: spirit tracks worth it? Never played a pokemon, is that so good? and is the chrono trigger remake really worth it?

thanks , any suggestions would be cool. I search games that are available only on those consoles. Don't care for the new resident evil or stuff like that..

Favorite genres? What types of games are you looking for? Once you dip into the DS library, there's a lot to choose from. Help us narrow it down.

- Ocarina of time
- 3D land
-kid icarus
-ghost recon
-mario kart 7
-devil survivor overclocked

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

Is Zelda: spirit tracks worth it? Only if you're a diehard. Never played a pokemon, is that so good? Yes, get Black or White. and is the chrono trigger remake really worth it? God yes.

Some answers in quote in bold.

My favorite DS games: Elite Beat Agents, Radiant Historia, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, Mario Kart DS, the Castlevania games, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Bowser's Inside Story, Meteos, Picross DS and 3D, and Dragon Quest V and IX.

Genres i like for a portable:

- RPG
- trial & error games ( big fan of Bit trip games for example lol)
- music games
- whatever in 2D (nostalgia)
- 2D psychedelic shooters
- creative stuff... i dunno

should be very long or very small lol.

got tired of mariokart after the one on GBA ( man i played that for i think 300 hours lol)

thanks for the replies

- Ocarina of time
- 3D land

... ?

thanks , any suggestions would be cool. I search games that are available only on DS/3DS. Don't care for the new resident evil or stuff like that..

Pick up Hotel Dusk for the Nintendo DS. Easily the most memorable game I've ever played for the system. Also, 999. I've just picked up Radiant Historia so I cannot comment on it, but I've read nothing but positive things about it, which prompted me to buy it.

Spirit Tracks is horrible for a Zelda game. Probably the worst in the series, IMO.

Odrion

Banned
Dragon Quest V is probably my favorite DS RPG. There's something about it that makes it work really well for pickup-and-play.

I think that Mario Kart DS is a much better game than 7, but I might be nutso about that.

The three Castlavania titles are all stellar. Aria of Dissonance > Hookerboots > Portrait of Ruin.

Mario 64 DS works really well with the analogue nub, it's worth buying used for two bucks to check it out. You begin playing as Yoshi, how nutso is that?! Yoshi's Island DS is worth checking out on the cheap as well.

For actual 3DS titles. NSMBDS2 is my favorite iteration of the "New" brand, I think it only got criticized so hard because Nintendo had the audacity to release a sequel after two years instead of ten :V (that and the rehashed assets and the graphic music but WHATEVER.) Tetris Axis kinda sucks and you're better off spending $50 on Tetris DS (just think of it as a collector's item!). Ridge Racer 3D is pretty underrated. Yeah, it's still more Ridge Racer but it's still a solid ass racing game and the last time you played it was probably on the PSP.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
- Ocarina of time
- 3D land

... ?

Bowser's Inside Story
All three Castlevania games.
Shantae: Risky's Revenge (DSiWare)
Art Style Pictobits (DSiWare)
Art Style Box Life (DSiWare)
Kirby Canvas Kirby, Kirby Mass Attack and Super Star Ultra
Super Princess Peach
Over NSMB
Elite Beat Agents
Rhythm Heaven
Dragon Quest IX, and any of the remakes (I really enjoy V)
Etrain Odyssey series.
Radiant Historia
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
The World Ends with You
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Any of the Pokemon games, but especially BW and BW2 coming out soon.
Rune Factory series over any of the Harvest Moon games on the system.
Ace Attorney series.
Ghost Trick.
Trauma Centre games.

Really you have maybe a hundred games that could be considered worth your time. It's a massive library. Enjoy.

Check out this thread; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

Koroviev

Pick up Hotel Dusk for the Nintendo DS. Easily the most memorable game I've ever played for the system. Also, 999. I've just picked up Radiant Historia so I cannot comment on it, but I've read nothing but positive things about it, which prompted me to buy it.

Spirit Tracks is horrible for a Zelda game. Probably the worst in the series, IMO.

I haven't played too much of it, but Radiant Historia has an excellent soundtrack, and the combat is fun and engaging.

hardcastlemccormick was pretty thorough, but I'll throw in a vote for Devil Survivor 2. For what it's worth, I like it more than Overclocked (which is very much worth playing).

Genres i like for a portable:

- RPG - Tales of the Abyss 3DS, Dragon Quest V and IX, Final Fantasy 3 and 4, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Chrono Trigger, Disgaea
- trial & error games ( big fan of Bit trip games for example lol) - Not my cup of tea, maybe somebody else has suggestions
- music games - Elite Beat Agents, Rhythm Heaven
- whatever in 2D (nostalgia) - New Super Mario Bros 2, Castlevania
- 2D psychedelic shooters - Space Invaders Extreme 1 and 2
- creative stuff... i dunno - check out the DS thread I posted above, lots and lots of those across all genres

got tired of mariokart after the one on GBA ( man i played that for i think 300 hours lol) I thought I was burnt out after the DS one, but the 3DS one is really, really good though. And really good online.

Again, bold has replies.

EDIT: I remembered Shonobi 3DS. Trial and error 2D gameplay. Get on it my friend.

EDIT2: Nevermind about the question, I think I answered it.

Neo Child

Banned
So I just bought Kingdom Hearts 3ds, and it is literally the most confusing game ever.

You start out watching a cutscene of some random dude named Ansem. Then it transitions to Sora and Riku standing on a beach. Then suddenly they are in the ocean on a tiny little raft in the middle of a storm. Then out of nowhere a Phantom Ursula shows up, you defeat her, then fall into the ocean. As they are sinking, they randomly open some portal. Then it transitions to a classroom where they agree to take a test. Next thing you know you're falling through the sky and trying to kill things for points. Then when you complete that your character randomly transitions to a place called Traverse Town.

tl;dr:

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

ib1usuY48ryOeN.gif

but replace neogaf with kingdom hearts

and also i wanted to buy a good gbc game or gb game hmm, got £8 left. wish harvest moon was on here, might get rayman gbc

MNC

Playing mutant mudd demo and jesus i freaking love the whole box diorama effect. 2d games are amazing in 3d! Is the whole of virtual console this as well?

Neo Child

Banned
Playing mutant mudd demo and jesus i freaking love the whole box diorama effect. 2d games are amazing in 3d! Is the whole of virtual console this as well?

no but it totally should be. only original 3dsware content and a few remade nes 3d classics

seriously, if GBA games are finally out for eShop I will be so much more happy with my purchase of the 3DS. I mostly use my 3DS for DS games, I have been looking through the recent posts, and not much on "Infinite Space"! If you can get ahold of that game, it is a fantastic RPG space sim that no DS player should miss.

Javier

Based on what Nintendo said, the ambassador GBA games wont be up, ever. Not that I believe that.
That's not what they said. They said there were "no plans" on putting them on eShop. With Nintendo, "No plans" can mean pretty much anything.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Eshop is back up, anything different?

I can't see anything. Did some searches for things like Advance, Mario Golf, etc to search of Game Boy Advance hints. Checked my Download history, looked at News, a few categories. Looks the same to me. Just prep work for tomorrow at noon I guess.

wondermega

mzl.zzlpfxfo.320x480-75.jpg

A Zaxxon-themed "endless runner" just showed up on iOS - I've no interest in that (though my soul high-fived for a moment, at least upon seeing that name again).

Makes me wish very much that Sega would do a stereoscopic update of the original arcade game(s) on 3DS, that'd be perfect. Yeah, I know there was a "Zaxxon 3-D" on SMS, but that's not what I've got in mind.

Never happen, but it would be nice :(

Marz

seriously, if GBA games are finally out for eShop I will be so much more happy with my purchase of the 3DS. I mostly use my 3DS for DS games, I have been looking through the recent posts, and not much on "Infinite Space"! If you can get ahold of that game, it is a fantastic RPG space sim that no DS player should miss.

Yea but it's super rare...where did you get it from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom