• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed doesn't support voice chat on Wii U

Found this in the "Wii U Voice Chat" thread...

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/12679-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed/page__st__3300#entry571661

S0L said:
The Enchanting Eevee said:
S0L, after today's news about the limited Wii U voice chat, will you guys be supporting voice chat on that platform?

We don't support voice chat on WiiU for those reasons, one of the side effects of being a launch title basically. Does support it on PS3 and 360 though!

...Surprise?

I understand that the Wii U version is being rushed to make it to launch, but that means either Nintendo's online isn't up to snuff for Wii U launch, or the game's hitting the market just too soon. Would be nice to get that patched in post-launch.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Found this in the "Wii U Voice Chat" thread...

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/12679-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed/page__st__3300#entry571661

...Surprise?

I understand that the Wii U version is being rushed to make it to launch, but that means either Nintendo's online isn't up to snuff for Wii U launch, or the game's hitting the market just too soon. Would be nice to get that patched in post-launch.

I've just commented on this over at Eurogamer. Bear in mind Voice chat is only supported by third party peripherals and then only on the GamePad. Given we felt only a select few players would therefore go buy said peripheral and it meant only one player being able to chat, we opted to spend the time and effort on features more players would enjoy.

We've hardly rushed it out, we've attempted to support as many WiiU specifics as we can via the 5 player splitscreen both off and online, WiiU specific game modes, Mii's with a unique vehicle and more.

You make these calls with a launch title as you don't know what kind of uptake a given feature has. Besides, lack of voice chat never hurt Mario Kart Wii eh? :p

---
S0L
---

Tizoc

S0L I hope you don't mind me asking this, but can we expect a new trailer in the next few days? Perhaps one that showcases the various features in the game?

CuboidFX

Banned
You make these calls with a launch title as you don't know what kind of uptake a given feature has. Besides, lack of voice chat never hurt Mario Kart Wii eh? :p

---
S0L
---

Like hell that that'll stop anyone from getting up in arms about it though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Definite version indeed.

btw. They still will be able to patch all those launch titles right ?

Won't hinder me. I only care about playing with friends I know and half the time the people I play with are so absorbed by the game they rarely talk during it. Or we're all at the same house which is more likely.

Who voice chats in racing games? Who cares?

Some people might. Still, it speaks to an overall "f you gamers who actually game in a reasonable fashion" statement from Nintendo, who refuses to acknowledge that online gaming is here to stay, is very profitable to the companies that support it correctly, and that many titles need it in some tangible, quality adding form in order for those titles to survive.

In the end: dumb.

Skyzard

Banned
They didn't mention the vita/3ds versions..still! :/

Having the mic in PASBR is a lot of fun, just for the possibility of smack talk - I tend not to talk at all when racing...but this is a bit of a karting game...not as serious so it could have done with it...wonder if other games will follow-suit? Does COD have voice chat?

Pharros

So no in game voice chat, but the real question is, will there be OS universal voice chat? I wouldn't doubt if Sega was just as in the dark as we are.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
S0L I hope you don't mind me asking this, but can we expect a new trailer in the next few days? Perhaps one that showcases the various features in the game?

We've a number of new ones being done at the moment, not sure on the ETA, but they show all manner of new cool stuff we've not shown before :p

---
S0L
---

Some people might. Still, it speaks to an overall "f you gamers who actually game in a reasonable fashion" statement from Nintendo, who refuses to acknowledge that online gaming is here to stay, is very profitable to the companies that support it correctly, and that many titles need it in some tangible, quality adding form in order for those titles to survive.

In the end: dumb.

Sega &/or Sumo decided that they didn't want to add voice chat (because they don't believe people will buy mics for the Wii U), it's not as if it isn't possible.

Not a big issue for me but the big question is if there will be OS level voice chat. I mean it's Nintendo we're talking about so one has to expect them to be boneheaded about this. But if they seriously dedicated 1 GB of RAM to the OS and not provide voice chat functions which work outside of game specific solutions they have reached a new high.

Will be interesting to see exactly how the OS will work, especially since they want to expand certain features to 3DS and keep using it in future devices.

People who play with friends, I think
Friends to only exist online confirmed.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Kind of reminds me of when they didn't support online in the PC version of the first game because they didn't want to.

We had plenty of complaints about that - mostly we didn't do it as we didn't have time or budget to do it. We're work for hire at the end of the day.

This time round we most certainly do have online, much more advanced controller configuration and a load of other stuff I can't talk about right now. We do try and listen.

If the voice chat becomes a major issue on WiiU and SEGA want to address it, we can look at it down the line. But it won't be there at launch for the reasons stated.

---
S0L
---

KalBalboa

Banned
We had plenty of complaints about that - mostly we didn't do it as we didn't have time or budget to do it. We're work for hire at the end of the day.

This time round we most certainly do have online, much more advanced controller configuration and a load of other stuff I can't talk about right now. We do try and listen.

If the voice chat becomes a major issue on WiiU and SEGA want to address it, we can look at it down the line. But it won't be there at launch for the reasons stated.

---
S0L
---

It honestly shouldn't be your problem, in my eyes. I'm surprised Nintendo is handling such a basic aspect of online gaming, or at the very least giving the public some basic knowledge of their online multiplayer plan (considering the console is due out in a few weeks).

You do raise some good points on the intended audience, timing of this specific title, and where the majority of multiplayer fun will be had: split screen.

---
S0L
---

Please if it sells enough for sega to fund you patching the game pleasd patch it in

jrDev

I've just commented on this over at Eurogamer. Bear in mind Voice chat is only supported by third party peripherals and then only on the GamePad. Given we felt only a select few players would therefore go buy said peripheral and it meant only one player being able to chat, we opted to spend the time and effort on features more players would enjoy.

We've hardly rushed it out, we've attempted to support as many WiiU specifics as we can via the 5 player splitscreen both off and online, WiiU specific game modes, Mii's with a unique vehicle and more.

---
S0L
---
Whelp, voice chat in games doesn't affect me since I don't use it anyway, but this is the type of mentality Nintendo should talk 3rd parties out of; especially if something like a mic comes built into the GamePad...why not use it, it's most likely just one line of code since it should be in the API...

this issue sure became the greatest feature of all time recently wow

people don't give a damn until Nintendo takes it off the list

I think there is reason for concern on how well the online service for the Wii U will be, voice chat included. So when things like this and no ethernet port come out it doesn't ease those concerns for sure, because it doesn't come across as a company striving to be one of the best in online play.

Those concerns may be unfounded in your eyes but after the Wii they exist for a lot of people.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Sega &/or Sumo decided that they didn't want to add voice chat (because they don't believe people will buy mics for the Wii U), it's not as if it isn't possible.

You've done an amazing job there of translating what I said into something different :)

There is no official headset and the only ones that exists and *might* be available for launch are third party. They can only be used with the GamePad, which in our case means that only one player in a 5 player party would be able to chat online.

We opted to spend the time on things all players would benefit from, not features that a potentially small minority would use.

We are a party game at the end of the day, one designed to get players around a TV, so 5 players in splitscreen either online or offline.

---
S0L
---

Coxy

Strange then it hasn't seemed to hinder Activision/Treyarch, EA/Bioware/Straightright or Ubisoft/UbiMontreal.

How is it strange that they have more manpower and budget to throw at a problem to overcome an obstacle? It doesnt make the obstacle cease to exist

---
S0L
---

This is a failure on Nintendo's part, not Sumo/Sega's.

Nintendo still have their heads up their asses when it comes to online infrastructures.

It's hard to begrudge third parties for not wanting to go out of their way/spend money on implementing additional peripherals for a feature that should come as standard with the system itself.

I played a LOT of online in the first All-Stars Racing (the 360 version), and that's how I met quite a few of my online friends. We're mall looking forward to playing Transformed online on the 360, so this makes no difference to me, but it shows that voice chat is pretty damn significant.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I agree, wouldn't be surprised if Wii U has OS level voice chat and Nintendo hasn't told developers about it at all. In that case it's going to be kind of weird/funny to see random games with their own internal chat peripheral detection system in addition to OS voice chat.

However, at this point I'd be worried that's not in (at least at least) because Nintendo didn't see fit to put headphone jacks on the pro controller. That's a bigger issue than no analog triggers, which is a toss-up feature.

Ironically, this sort of thing doesn't automatically paint Nintendo as horrible, despite how people try. Sony is just as inconsistent with their own support for such things on PS3. To be frank only Microsoft set out as a specific mission statement to have a lot of universal features entirely locked down at the start of this generation. Nobody else has put the same emphasis on that.

You've done an amazing job there of translating what I said into something different :)

There is no official headset and the only ones that exists and *might* be available for launch are third party. They can only be used with the GamePad, which in our case means that only one player in a 5 player party would be able to chat online.

We opted to spend the time on things all players would benefit from, not features that a potentially small minority would use.

We are a party game at the end of the day, one designed to get players around a TV, so 5 players in splitscreen either online or offline.

---
S0L
---
A reasonable decision, taking a party online is a great feature, always loved that in MKWii. With more people it will be more fun.

Now you might not be able to spill the beans but I'll ask anyway: Are you still in the dark like us about OS level services or can we take your comments as confirmation that there is no OS level voice chat currently implemented?

KalBalboa

Banned
this issue sure became the greatest feature of all time recently wow

people don't give a damn until Nintendo takes it off the list

What you're describing is the concept of "taking something for granted."

We assume the Wii U would support voice chat in all titles or some form of cross-game chat. It shouldn't be surprising that its absence bothers so many, seeing as the 360 & PS3 have standardized audio chat and even the original Xbox and PS2 seemed me make it a non-issue.

Hell, even the Vita supports cross-game chats and party systems. Nintendo should be able to offer some parity here, especially when they keep pushing that the Wii U is in league with the competition.

They probably don't allow the mic to be on outside of a length of time to...conserve battery? IDK. Its not an actual issue but the pro controller is a multiplayer controller, so really how Nintendo have marketed it (as an alt) is a bit bastardful.

But yeah you can't say thats got anything to do with this game. Simple fact is the dev has not implemented it.

Top Bottom