• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Miyamoto interview: FZero and the origin of Link

Like Mario Kart and Zelda have completely changed from one game to the next...

- 16-32 player online arcade racing
- Complete customization options for building F-Zero tracks from scratch
- A futuristic Full HD racer from Nintendo
- A "core" racing experience we haven't had since the gamecube a decade ago
- Online parts trading with friends

People have different opinions than you, Miyamoto. Welcome to the rest of the world.

Agree. I want a story mode too Arkham City-style. Falcon Punch people to the other side of Port Town!

Makonero

So, should we have F-Zero/Grand Theft Auto, where you play as bounty hunter Captain Falcon, complete missions and earn cash, and then enter into races, etc.?

I would play the hell out of that. F-Zero would be a great, colorful world to explore too. Mute City, Green Plant, Port Town, etc. Just bring the mechanics of GX and create a great open world game around it.

SmithnCo

So, should we have F-Zero/Grand Theft Auto, where you play as bounty hunter Captain Falcon, complete missions and earn cash, and then enter into races, etc.?

I would play the hell out of that. F-Zero would be a great, colorful world to explore too. Mute City, Green Plant, Port Town, etc. Just bring the mechanics of GX and create a great open world game around it.

lol, a game like that with highways that are like F-Zero tracks would be incredible. Reminds me of that GX mission where you have to avoid crashing into other cars.

Regardless of Miyamoto's comments, I'm surprised at the level of complaining about the F-Zero attraction in Nintendoland.

Why does everyone want it to literally be a "real" F-Zero race? It's a wind up toy game.

It's like criticizing the Donkey Kong game for not playing anything like actual Donkey Kong, Mario Chase for failing to be a 3D Mario, and Battle Quest for not being a proper Zelda.

It's been ten years and all we get of F-Zero is a wind-up toy version.

I think it's pretty obvious.

F-Zero GX might have sold enough for Nintendo to not dismiss the series if it had a better difficulty curve - the game just became too damn frustrating too quickly, only the hardest of hardcore really enjoyed it. So that's what Nintendo needs to do with a new game, make it as fun as GX but without the uber-hardcore difficulty. That was the great thing about the first F-Zero, it had a number of different difficulties that you could advance through, and the curve seemed perfect.

Lyude77

And today's market is not yesterday's market especially for arcade racers. Also you guys do realize a sequel probably wouldn't live up to GX since Amusement Division wouldn't be developing. F-Zero was the perfect style of game for them.

Edit: I always forget how smooth GX was. Hopefully at the very least we get a HD remake of GX with 16 player online. I would honestly be satisfied as GX is pretty much perfection.

I prefer F-Zero X anyway, and hopefully one of the EAD teams is good enough to make a game/engine that feels like that.

My suggestions:

1. Make it online.
2. Take away the actual story/CG completely to keep costs down, but keep a mission "story" mode.
3. Make the story mode easier, at least early on, so people aren't turned off immediately after they play the story mode. Include a challenge mode with similar difficulty to the story mode in GX.
3. Release free DLC missions, like MKWii.
4. Include a track editor, or at least a random track generator like Joker in F-Zero X.
5. Bring back Death Race (with leaderboards, obviously). Include multiple death race tracks. This can be the equivalent of MK's battle mode, in my mind.
6. Introduce team races for Death Race or Grand Prix (or both). Obviously wouldn't be on the same leaderboard/mode as solo races.
7. Keep the garage, but make the menus more streamlined like MK7.
8. Provide an option for motion controlled driving. Many will hate it, but it needs to be an option.

Basically, look at what Mario Kart has done well and F-Zero did well in the past, and make general improvements and mode expansions without changing the core gameplay. They could add crazy character-specific powers or weapons or something, but then it wouldn't be F-Zero (not to me, at least).

LeleSocho

Banned
Miyamoto: :eyes open wide:
I thought people had grown weary of it.
I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people: Why FZero? What do you want that we haven't done before?

I think i'm going to have a meltdown.

How they can ignore it? Nintendo really needs to know what the community wants with some sort of market research... Hell i would do that for free.

Nintendo truly can't be this ignorant on what their community/fans wants... gosh it makes me so mad...
I think that is pretty much confirmed that for at least 3 years we won't see any F-Zero games....

RedSwirl

- Link sprite was designed by Takashi Tezuka. Like Mario, they wanted a character that would be recognizable from his sword and shield so they thought of a long hat and long ears and went into the direction of an elf. At the time, when you said long ears you thought of Peter Pan and as he's a Disney fan, they drew inspiration from it.
Link's name come from the fact that originally, the fragments of the Triforce were supposed to be electronic chips. The game was to be set in both the past and the future and as the main character would travel between both and be the link between them, they called him Link.

So connections between the past and future were always going to be a factor in Zelda, even from its very inception...

hatchx

Banned
Nintendo truly can't be this ignorant on what their community/fans wants... gosh it makes me so mad...
I think that is pretty much confirmed that for at least 3 years we won't see any F-Zero games....

It's not like F-zero GX sold record sales. I don't think the GBA versions did too exceptionally either. Just because hardcore gamers and enthusiasts and neogaffers crave it doesn't mean the general masses do.

I don't know if the sales would justify the dev cost of a big HD F-Zero game.

Question:

Would people be satisfied with an F-Zero GX re-release on WiiU with the HD 'remake' treatment, online racing (would 30 players be technically possible?), and one extra circuit (5 levels).

....and it was sold for 39.99 or something on the eshop.

I ask because F-Zero GX is such a perfectly sexy game. Even though it's two generations later, they should still build on that engine/base.

@MUWANdo

Banned

How they can ignore it? Nintendo really needs to know what the community wants with some sort of market research... Hell i would do that for free.

He's addressed this before: basically, it comes down to fans saying they want something but then responding negatively (or not at all) when they get what they asked for.

this is miyamoto. Not all of Nintendo. miyamoto is one man living in the small city of kyoto where f-zero was never even that big in the first place. How is he supposed to know that people in a country miles away want a sequel to a series that had it's past 3 iterations bomb hard? And people need to remember that you guys are just a vocal minority. I can imagine him being hesitant to make a new f-zero anyway, since everyone wanted a new kid Icarus as well and uprising never set the charts on fire

Oersted

Market research: It bombed. Market research over.

Y U WANT MO F-ZERO? IT'S THE SAME

BUT ZELDA IS SO PHRESH AND SO CLEAN
Zelda sells. f-zero doesn't. Nintendo even had an f-zero anime running for awile so its not like they didn't invest heavily in the series. but when your games still bomb even after it gets exposure from TV and popular crossover games like ssb, there's not much you can do

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wipeout bombs as well, I'm afraid these games have become too niche.

I agree a slight GX HD remake would suffice, as long as they release a full Wave Race sequel with insane wave physics.

hatchx

Banned
this is miyamoto. Not all of Nintendo. miyamoto is one man living in the small city of kyoto where f-zero was never even that big in the first place. How is he supposed to know that people in a country miles away want a sequel to a series that had it's past 3 iterations bomb hard? And people need to remember that you guys are just a vocal minority. I can imagine him being hesitant to make a new f-zero anyway, since everyone wanted a new kid Icarus as well and uprising never set the charts on fire

In defence of Kid Icarus, it did do respectable numbers and will probably achieve an LTD over a million over the next year.

In defence of Kid Icarus, it did do respectable numbers and will probably achieve an LTD over a million over the next year.
oh I know the game diddn't bomb. it probably gave nintendo a good profit since it was even done by a pretty small team. But it definitely did below expectations. You don't make a ton of cards and produce anime shorts from top studios for an 800k selling game

Link sprite was designed by Takashi Tezuka. Like Mario, they wanted a character that would be recognizable from his sword and shield so they thought of a long hat and long ears and went into the direction of an elf. At the time, when you said long ears you thought of Peter Pan and as he's a Disney fan, they drew inspiration from it.
Link's name come from the fact that originally, the fragments of the Triforce were supposed to be electronic chips. The game was to be set in both the past and the future and as the main character would travel between both and be the link between them, they called him Link.

Good that Miyamoto mentions Tezuka as the creator of Link's in-game design. Another piece of evidence that suggests to me Tezuka is equally as important in the creation of the series as Miyamoto. Quite interesting that they were trying for a time travel mechanic. Would like to know more, as I would think that concept got carried over eventually into Ocarina of Time. But why didn't they try it again on the SNES with ALttP? The Light/Dark world system could have served that goal, and there are things you do in one realm that affect the other. This is the second explanation Miyamoto has given regarding the origin of Link's name. First one was that he was called Link because of the link player's shared with the on-screen character. I thought there was another, but I forget.

@MUWANdo

Banned
oh I know the game diddn't bomb. it probably gave nintendo a good profit since it was even done by a pretty small team. But it definitely did below expectations. You don't make a ton of cards and produce anime shorts from top studios for an 800k selling game

Kid Icarus was envisaged as an evergreen title for the core gamer market, ie one that would continue to sell over the life of the system. They weren't expecting it to do huge numbers immediately.

LeleSocho

Banned
He's addressed this before: basically, it comes down to fans saying they want something but then responding negatively (or not at all) when they get what they asked for.

Miyamoto is Senior Managing Director of Nintendo not the classic single employee in the huge company, in some ways he is Nintendo more than anyone in there.
I'm not mad because he/they aren't making an F-Zero game but because they don't even know what their community/fan/fanboy whatever you want to call it (the people who let them live in bad situation and the people that by their saying should apparently be addressed more with their new console) wants and like.

I would be totally ok if they would've known, considered and then rejected the hypotesis of the game but they don't even know! And who knows for what amount of other games this happens...

Market research: It bombed. Market research over.

sort of market research... like i said above a research to know what your fans wants to keep 'em busy and happy, and you know a lot of things at first bombs and then years later becomes an hit... the first and most recent example that comes to mind is tablets.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Miyamoto is Senior Managing Director of Nintendo not the classic single employee in the huge company, in some ways he is Nintendo more than anyone in there.
I'm not mad because he/they aren't making an F-Zero game but because they don't even know what their community/fan/fanboy whatever you want to call it (the people who let them live in bad situation and the people that by their saying should apparently be addressed more with their new console) wants and like.

I would be totally ok if they would've known, considered and then rejected the hypotesis of the game but they don't even know! And who knows for what amount of other games this happens...

You know Miyamoto's "question" was rhetorical, right? He does that all the time as a way of answering questions without actually saying anything that might be misconstrued as a confirmation/denial--instead of saying "sure we're making one RIGHT NOW" or "nah I have better things to do", he answers a question with another question and moves on. He's not literally asking for suggestions, he's just deflecting.

VICI0US

Not every game needs to reinvent the wheel, Miyamoto.

Yeah, you want to avoid games becoming totally iterative and stagnant.. but when there's a decade or more between releases "more of the same" isn't really so bad.

If Nintendo isn't confident enough in the franchise to put out a big budget, retail release, make a low budget downloadable title.

Hell, upscale F-Zero GX and add online multiplayer, that'd be good enough for me.

LeleSocho

Banned
You know Miyamoto's "question" was rhetorical, right? He does that all the time as a way of answering questions without actually saying anything that might be misconstrued as a confirmation/denial--instead of saying "sure we're making one RIGHT NOW" or "nah I have better things to do", he answers a question with another question and moves on. He's not literally asking for suggestions, he's just deflecting.
Of course on some level it was rhetorical since he would never listen a bunch of people on twitter but if it was the case you described it would gave the same answer as the Metroid one not the one he gave for F-Zero.

DrWong

They searched for the market with GX but the market wasn't there. They should try again.

To move on another subject, I think we have an interesting hint not yet highlighted about what could be one of the next project Miyamoto is working on. When talking about the NFC and how this technology enable new ways to interact with real stuff, he said >
Et puis vous savez, ce qui cartonne en ce moment sur smartphone, au moins au Japon, ce sont des jeux de collection de cartes. Mais ce sont des cartes virtuelles. Ce qui m’intéresse, ce sont les vraies cartes. C’est pour ça que je pense que la Wii U a plus de potentiel qu’eux.

My rough translation : "And you know, what's extremely successful on smartphone at the moment, at least in Japan, are cards collection games. But they're virtual cards. What interests me are the real cards. It's why I think the Wii U has more potential."

Sounds for me he's already on something and well, it's not like Nintendo doesn't know anything about card games...

Kid Icarus was envisaged as an evergreen title for the core gamer market, ie one that would continue to sell over the life of the system. They weren't expecting it to do huge numbers immediately.

Yep. The game didn't bomb and Nintendo is still promoting it. Jus saw an ad on TV (France) a few hours back, on a well known kid/anime station. I was like "Nintendo is still really serious about pushing the game". Such a great game.

While I'd rather have a StarFox or Wave Race, here's what I'd want for F-Zero:

Online. Should be obvious, but while Nintendo says they care about gameplay, they'd rather have meaningless online features like MiiSpace than actual online gameplay.

Customizable cars. Somewhere in between the complexity of Mario Kart 7 and the Call of Duty "Create-a-Class" system. And because they need to justify that ridiculous controller, have everything done on the GamePad touchscreen.

100 players per course. Fuck it, you have a powerful console now. Go crazy.

Other than that, I'm not a game development team. Give it to them and have them figure out some innovations. But don't insult my intelligence with talk of stagnation when you're launching with NSMB:U.

Surprised shiggy didn't say that f zero is never coming back because those comments make me think he and nintendo hate it.

Lol Mario party is so different each game huh Miyamoto, can't even add online mode to that series :/

F-zero really needs to come back, that bounty hunter idea sounded amazing when I heard it years ago :( time flies and it should have happened.

My falcon :'(

jmizzal

F-Zero sells like crap what do you expect, just make it an eShop game HD DD games can be very good.

Glad to see Metroid HD is coming :)

Guys, he's not going to admit that he doesn't like the series, but it's obvious. FZero is like Nintendo's Jean Grey. Always on fan's minds, but the people in charge hate it.

Tookay

Nintendo has a bunch of franchises that fans would love to see iterated on frequently, but don't seem to have the manpower to justify the costs when there are better selling series out there. The worst part is, when they do release a sequel to their neglected franchises, they don't follow up on them nearly as quick as they could to strike while the iron is hot (and reuse assets/engines) and build up the brand; instead, they let it fade away again. It's all sort of a vicious cycle.

freddy

Banned
Put guns on the cars. People love that.

Instead of guns maybe some wacky type of missiles, like , I dunno, tortoise shells? Then they could have a rear weapon that lays down oil slicks or, hahaha, even banana peels. Make the cars and graphics a bit more kid friendly too and put some Nintendo characters in there to appeal to fans. Crazy stuff, I know, but it just might work.

How about a new F-Zero with a single player story mode that has you adventuring in a futuristic cyber-world (like the one in GX) doing various missions that involve solving crimes and fighting punks, but have it all tied up by racing in a way that is seamless and makes the racing relevant to the story?

Kind of like how we were supposed to be emotionally invested in the podracing of episode 1 because winning the race was crucial to the story?

The game could also benefit from some RPG elements like upgrading weapons and vehicle parts, and meeting bizarre and cool alien npcs on the way.

There would also be a multiplayer mode that revolves solely around racing and is online, and a "free play" mode where you just race against AI and edit tracks and vehicles..

Kind of like a Nintendo version of the original Speed Racer cartoon...
(I haven't played Rage, but maybe that's also a similar template?)

Ok, after my fanboy post about a captain falcon action adventure, here's a serious idea.

How about virtually endless customization, to the point where there emerges a kind of sandbox meta-game about finding new combinations of parts and creative, crazy designs that push the meaning of an F-zero "racer" to its limit?
All the while discovering bizarre designs that can achieve greater and greater speed, acceleration, etc.

Anybody play the game Kerbal Space Program?

Imagine a mode where you design the craziest tracks you can imagine and upload them online, challenging others to design racers that can beat your track in a certain time, and then they can upload their victory laps to the network and so on, creating a sort of "cat and mouse" dynamic between racers and track designers.

It would be like the early days of aviation where everyone was trying to get a piece of the pie, with glorious and ridiculous designs abound. Or the space race era, or the race to break the sound barrier.

This would basically distill F-Zero down to its very essence.

Neither of these posts got enough love. Both would be great directions for the series.

Cade

The people on the first page of this thread are the worst people out of all the people on GAF.

All of them. Including OT GAF subgroups.

I was too disheartened to read the other pages.

This man is a goddamn legend and the only thing people should be discussing in this thread is the Link thing, not bitching about a mediocre racing franchise that could be any generic futuristic racer, a series where the best thing it contributed was a Smash Bros. character.

god

This man is a goddamn legend and the only thing people should be discussing in this thread is the Link thing, not bitching about a mediocre racing franchise that could be any generic futuristic racer, a series where the best thing it contributed was a Smash Bros. character.

What.The.Fuck.

Cade

What.The.Fuck.
104ng5w1sz3e.gif

Wow, that's cool! Makes me wonder what that'd be like to have a Zelda set in the future.

I have an australian official nintendo magazine from the early 90's with an interview where Miyamato stated the link = electronic chips thing before. So i'm calling it: OLD!

The people on the first page of this thread are the worst people out of all the people on GAF.

god

I... I what?!

WHAT?!

One of these days you shall be Falcon Punched into space.

Roo

god

kvE74.gif

*takes a deep breath*

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but it's possible Miyamoto's thinking too much about the GBA F-Zero games. "Man people still want those?" Those games most people pretend don't exist, because "wow who cares."

No, we do not want them. We want more 3D F-Zero. Hopefully he understands the distinction.

Richie

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but it's possible Miyamoto's thinking too much about the GBA F-Zero games. "Man people still want those?" Those games most people pretend don't exist, because "wow who cares."

No, we do not want them. We want more 3D F-Zero. Hopefully he understands the distinction.

Miyamoto wasn't involved with any of the handheld F-Zero games, I don't think he has those in mind. Didn't he express disappointment on GX?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Miyamoto wasn't involved with any of the handheld F-Zero games, I don't think he has those in mind. Didn't he express disappointment on GX?

I think he expressed disappointment in "recent F-Zero games," saying that they weren't up to par quality-wise. Contextually it seemed like he was referring to the GBA ones, not GX. He was never explicit, though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
FIRST I GET MY MIND BLOWN BY ZERO ESCAPE AND NOW LINK WAS ALWAYS A TIME TRAVELER

MOTHERFUCKING QUANTUM PHYSICS

HUH, actually, this explains why the series has been so focused on time travel since Ocarina.

RaidenZR

Also, ignoring any and all story-related BS from the anime, F-Zero Climax is pretty good. I remember enjoying the track designs quite a bit. It's been a long time since I've played Maximum Velocity, but GP Legend was easily the biggest true turd in the series' history, and that was the last title the US saw with its name. Damn tragedy.

Top Bottom