• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

I dont know how I feel about biometrics. The touch screen really depends on the size , I dont really want VMU size but I definitely dont want Wii U size because I have no space for that.

Karak

LOL best thing to come out of this thread.

I don't know why but I have sat here for the last 4-5 minutes and kept slowly scrolling over it hahahahaha. It just keeps making me laugh out loud. I think its the damn fonted keyboard at the bottom that really sets it off.

velociraptor

LOL at those patents. The controller looks like an abdomination. I'll stick with the DS3 thank you very much.

I hope the countroller isn't horrendously bulky or wide. A small screen in the middle is what I'd prefer. That 'PS4' electric blue mock-up looks perfect, although I am not a fan of off-set analog sticks.

So it's going to be a WiiU style gamepad with built in Vitality Sensor that looks like a Vita. Sounds fine by me, everything is better than that 1995 controller they call Dual Shock 3.

Orayn

I dont know how I feel about biometrics. The touch screen really depends on the size , i dont really want VMU size but I definitely dont want wii u size because I have no space for that.

A 3.5-4" screen would be big enough for menu navigation and serving as touch keyboard, and perhaps even offscreen play for some games. The controller would still be pretty hefty, but nowhere near as huge as the GamePad and not as wide as the Vita.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I can imagine it would have been as comfortable as gripping a steering wheel. The problem with that is a steering wheel is propped up on a column for you. How would you hold the boomerang in your lap comfortably?

i dont even think itd be comfortable propped on a tripod, having your hands curving in isnt conducive to stretching your thumb around to press buttons

velociraptor

A 3.5-4" screen would be big enough for menu navigation and serving as touch keyboard, and perhaps even offscreen play for some games. The controller would still be pretty hefty, but nowhere near as huge as the GamePad and not as wide as the Vita.
iPhone 4 sized screen would be perfect IMO. Small yet functional. I'd prefer a more compact controller. 360 size would be pretty nice.

KAL2006

Banned
This is a decent point.

If the controller is going to cost $100, why not just spend a hundred more for a vita?

Why do people keep saying this. Oh I forgot the Vita hasn't sold much and no one has actually touched a Vita. As I Vita owner let me tell you that is a terrible idea. The analogs are tiny as fuck and less precise, shooter fans would go crazy. And it's lacking R2/L2/R3/L3. And finally it's uncomfortable to hold than a regular controller. Of course a analogs and comfort is good for handheld standards but as a controller it is a joke.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mentioned in the BC thread, but I wonder if PSMobile has played any role in the business case for a touchscreen, assuming it is indeed there.

They were investigating PS3 as a possible host platform but you really need a touchscreen. Orbis could readily host it with this type of controller.

Duxxy3

Why do people keep saying this. Oh I forgot the Vita hasn't sold much and no one has actually touched a Vita. As I Vita owner let me tell you that is a terrible idea. The analogs are tiny as fuck and less precise, shooter fans would go crazy. And it's lacking R2/L2/R3/L3. And finally it's uncomfortable to hold than a regular controller. Of course a analogs and comfort is good for handheld standards but as a controller it is a joke.

Because it's easier for people to rationalize spending $200 (the price i expect the vita to be shortly) on a vita than it is to spend $100 on a controller that is useless without the console.

KAL2006

Banned
Because it's easier for people to rationalize spending $200 (the price i expect the vita to be shortly) on a vita than it is to spend $100 on a controller that is useless without the console.

I don't think you understand, if I give ayour average dudebro COD fan a Vita and say thats the PS4 controller, he'd be like WTF. Shooter fans will go ape shit, the Vita analogs are just too tiny and no L2/R2/L3/R3. Sony will lose customers, and to have expensive controllers like that is ridiculous. Sony makes a lot of profit on selling DS4, with a Vita as it's main contoller they would barely make a profit on Vita. Lets face it it's a bad idea, and I don't understand why people keep mentioning this.

Nice to hear about the allegedly impending unveil of the system. Even though I'm in no rush to dive in a new console generation, I'm nevertheless excited about the prospect of the games that will be also shown up.

If it aint broke don't fix it is probably the worst expression to use with tech products. We would literally be stuck with decades ago in technology if that was the case

Darknight

NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Dual Shock 3 is the best controller out there right now!!!!! (excluding L2/R3). Best controller even for FPS games. Stick are where they should go instead of mutated controller of Xbox and all others and the size is perfect. Dpad fantastic. WTF I hope DS3 is atleast compatible.

Brera

Banned
There is so much fail and wrong in this thread.

If the DS4 were just the same as the DS3, it would still be an awesome pad.

on topic, by the sounds of it, Vita will be inseperable from PS4. They already mentioned that they can do the whole WiiU thing with Vita/PS3 but have curiously not pushed it...saving it for PS4 clearly!

Sony are curiously quiet around the Vita, they either launched it too soon and made a mistake or did it as a soft launch and it was more aimed at being a PS4 partner rather than a PS3 bro?

If they let you use DS3 pads and Vitas to control the PS4, then thats a good move! We don't need any more buttons!

Duxxy3

I don't think you understand, if I give ayour average dudebro COD fan a Vita and say thats the PS4 controller, he'd be like WTF. Shooter fans will go ape shit, the Vita analogs are just too tiny and no L2/R2/L3/R3. Sony will lose customers, and to have expensive controllers like that is ridiculous. Sony makes a lot of profit on selling DS4, with a Vita as it's main contoller they would barely make a profit on Vita. Lets face it it's a bad idea, and I don't understand why people keep mentioning this.

Shooter fans own a playstation? Cuz that controller is ass for shooters :p

Personally i think the whole idea of adding a screen to a controller and making it your pack in controller is just an awful idea. It costs too damn much and the market that actually wants to use a screen for input already has a smartphone or tablet.

Whichever console sticks with a traditional controller will probably get my money. If all of them go with a tablet/controller, i may just stick with PC.

Box

Why is it called a Dual Shock anyway? I always thought that was a silly name. What does it even mean?

Why is it called a Dual Shock anyway? I always thought that was a silly name. What does it even mean?

They took the original PS1 controller and added 2 analog sticks. It was called the Dual Analog.

Later they added rumble, and called it the Dual Shock. See below.

edit:
800px-PS1ControllerProgression.jpg

sol_bad

I'm obviously in the massive minority here but I'm concerned as a one handed gamer.
Adding a touchscreen will make the console unplayable to me. I can't play the Wii-U due to this.

I'm obviously in the massive minority here but I'm concerned as a one handed gamer.
Adding a touchscreen will make the console unplayable to me. I can't play the Wii-U due to this.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how is it even possible to hold and use a controller effectively in games with one hand?

I would not mind this as well as long as they upgrade it.

Yeah off tv play should really spread to every console even if it comes as an optional thing.

Saberus

I'm having a very hard time believing that the Orbis will be reviled in a few weeks, no matter how much I think that would be awesome.. I smell BS

Lain

Dropping the dual shock design? Do not want.
I'll keep an open mind for when they show the console and the controller, but I simply love the DS design and I do hope they either offer one still or that I can use my old ones with their next console.

Top Bottom