• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'The Last Of Us' previews, screens and video

Loudninja

Gameplay
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/zjsym4/the-last-of-us-enter-the-apocalypse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA2cuwYSIqs&list=UUQXR8pItAoKDAJSbphFxbrg&index=1
2 minutes of gameplay featuring the "clickers"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6jIK_cHF5c

Adam Sessler impressions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlIZwa-Z0Ng&list=UUQXR8pItAoKDAJSbphFxbrg&index=2

Screens
11zj09.jpg

2hdkmn.jpg

301jm3.jpg

http://gamingtrend.com/2013/02/04/e...lla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0

Destuctoid preview
I expected a lot of things from The Last of Us, but what I didn't expect, and what I was pleasantly surprised by, was that it scared me more than any recent survival horror game. I don't know that Naughty Dog would classify it as a straight up survival horror, but between the time I spent scrounging to survive, and the rest of the time I spent scared shitless, it definitely fits under the classification.
http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-the-last-of-us-scared-me-sh-tless-243926.phtml

IGN preview
Naughty Dog’s been talking about this crafting system for quite a while now, and I haven’t known what to make of it. How complicated will it be? How plentiful are resources? Turns out: 1) It’s not complicated. 2) They’re all over the place, but they’re not all equal.
So, typically, Tess will get out in front of you and go toward the objective you guys are looking for – a door, some stairs, etc. This is your cue to go anywhere but there. See, staying off the beaten path will lead you to drawers with scissors in them, duct tape at a dead end, and so on. When you pick these items up, you’ll see that item’s icon with a pie chart. That shows you how much the item is worth in that item category. Fill in one of the pies, and you have a whole item. Then, you need to look at the recipes you’ve collected thus far – stuff like a med kit, moltov, or board with scissors in it. If you have the needed pieces, a button tap makes it for you.
It’s a breeze – a lot like Dead Rising 2’s crafting with a bit of ZombiU tossed in. (When you craft, you’re digging through your backpack and vulnerable to attack.)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/04/the-last-of-us-the-sights-and-sounds
This has spoilers so beware:
Even in an alpha stage of development, the controls were responsive, the world fully fleshed.
The fungal infection takes control of human bodies in stages. Stage one victims, what Tess and I call Runners, are not in control of their actions. The last vestiges of the people they once were can only be sensed in their cries of pain and anguish as the fungus makes them chase after new hosts for spores. Stage three infected are referred to as Clickers because the creatures, barely recognizable as former humans, navigate by echolocation.

Runners may be fast, but at least you can punch your way out of their clutches. If a Clicker touches you, you’re infected. Game over.

Scavenging supplies, like blades and binding, alcohol and rags, sugar and explosive materials, is critical to survival. As is crafting those raw materials into things like medical kits, shivs, upgraded wood planks and crowbars. Ammunition for firearms is scarce, so I used melee and stealth attacks whenever I could.

My “focused listening mode” enabled me to detect infected in the near proximity and to anticipate their movements. We stay low and hidden from the Clickers, distracting them by throwing bricks and bottles away from where we are. But when we’ve descended to what used to be a
subway station there are just too many. Time and again we are overwhelmed by the Clickers and Runners, unable to find a way through to safety
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/tech...new-horrors-in-the-last-of-us/article8121586/

prwxv3

Holy fuck
one touch and you are dead from clickers? I did not expect them to actually do that.

JJD

Runners may be fast, but at least you can punch your way out of their clutches. If a Clicker touches you, you’re infected. Game over.

Holy shit! Crushing is going to be brutal!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
While there's a risk of having
one-hit touch-kill enemies
, that bit of news actually has increased my interest in this game exponentially, and I have enough faith in them to design the game well enough to make these sections intense and thrilling/terrifying than frustrating. It's a delicate line, for sure, but I commend them for going for a
deadly/interesting enemy
like that.

meta4

Without any spoilers have they commented on the AI? Could anyone let me know if the options that were shown in the demo playthrough's have been verified?

No spoilers please. Just a yes or no would suffice!

Eh, reading that, I hope the game isn't super cheap about this. They've been showing off Clickers in a lot of the promotion.

Loudninja

Without any spoilers have they commented on the AI? Could anyone let me know if the options that were shown in the demo playthrough's have been verified?

Not really a in-depth preview you have to wait,so no.

prwxv3

Not in this preview.

Prologue

Seems like a terrific game to play with headphones.

While there's a risk of having
one-hit touch-kill enemies
, that bit of news actually has increased my interest in this game exponentially, and I have enough faith in them to design the game well enough to make these sections intense and thrilling/terrifying than frustrating. It's a delicate line, for sure, but I commend them for going for a
deadly/interesting enemy
like that.

Not much of a fan of the feature but we'll see. I trust ND to make the appropriate atmosphere.

Scavenging supplies, like blades and binding, alcohol and rags, sugar and explosive materials, is critical to survival. As is crafting those raw materials into things like medical kits, shivs, upgraded wood planks and crowbars. Ammunition for firearms is scarce, so I used melee and stealth attacks whenever I could.

Oh god, so good.

...What kind of spoilers?

HardRojo

I want to read but I don't want to read! I want to know but I don't want to know! IS this paradox even possible? What is going on?! AAAAAHHHH!!

It was a really pretty short preview, and they didn't talk about AI specifically. However, they hint that the enemy AI is pretty sophisticated in that enemies (human, infected, etc) react or search for you in different (imo very interesting) ways that would lead to unique experiences with Clickers specifically.

Sorry for being vague, but you wanted no spoilers!

The creatures they've shown thus far must be runners then right? Because in the last gameplay footage there was a shot of Joel fighting off one of the mushroom heads. If so I'm really excited to see what the clickers look like.

B.O.O.M

I REALLY appreciate everyone using spoiler tags in here. I can read about general info without knowing too much. It's great

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Got the Elle Edition pre-ordered, I aint really been paying attention to the game to avoid spoilers but ND has bought it this gen so I know they'll deliver

On a side note, Hi LoudNinja
Long time no see lol

Loudninja

Sorral

....so tempting....but I watched and read so much about TLoU that I think I'll skip on this and wait for the actual game. ._.

Also, thanks for using the spoiler tags. I appreciate it.

RibMan

The
"focused listening mode"
sounds fantastic.

Thanks for the topic, I eagerly await the new gameplay footage!

hnnnnggg blackout for me...

..for everything story related. Can't wait to hear about the rest though

Thanks for the spoiler tags. pls keep them up.

Welp...looks like I'm staying up late again. Have a production meeting early tomorrow I will probably sleep through. I will wear sunglasses. lol.

Top Bottom