• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sinkhole swallows man in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
SINKHOLE%205.jpg

Absolutely terrifying.

Is there a way to check the ground for possible sinkhole formation before building a house?
Sinkholes aren't a neat open hole like a well or something. It's a bunch of dirt closing in on itself. You get swallowed by one, you're essentially buried alive.
...Woah... You could be alive down there and nobody would be able to do anything? That's even worse than I imagined these things to be.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What's the purpose of spraying water into there?

To keep it happy. You don't want the sinkhole pissed off, they get angry when they are thirsty...

Seriously, they do that to help open it up faster. Sinkholes will get to a point where they reach equilibrium with the topsoil, watering it accelerates the process. Basically you want to get the sinkhole to a stable condition as fast as possible so you can assess just how bad it really is. I've seen a few in real life, last year I saw one that had formed in a grocery market parking lot across from where I work. It was a deep sucker too, I have pics somewhere, I'll try to find them.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
...Woah... You could be alive down there and nobody would be able to do anything? That's even worse than I imagined these things to be.
Down where? It's happening because a pocket of empty space collapsed. Once it collapses, it's just a mass of dirt.

I guess best case scenario, there's a small opening draining everything into a larger cavern. But even then, it's working like an hourglass. There's a big mass of shifting dirt on top you'd have to slowly pass through before you got 'drained', and even if you somehow survived that, you'd just be tossed into another chamber that's filling with dirt. And has no light and very little air.

Florida man never disappoints.

CNN interviewed the guy's brother this morning, and it was equal parts heart wrenching and hilarious.

"I could hear him hollering for help," "My old lady turned on the light," "He was my brother, man!" The guy was really broken up, and I felt so bad, but he was also the most stereotypical Florida good old boy that I couldn't stop grinning.

Jesus Christ, people, Southerners are still fucking human.

Down where? It's happening because a pocket of empty space collapsed. Once it collapses, it's just a mass of dirt.

I guess best case scenario, there's a small opening draining everything into a larger cavern. But even then, it's working like an hourglass. There's a big mass of shifting dirt on top you'd have to slowly pass through before you got 'drained', and even if you somehow survived that, you'd just be tossed into another chamber that's filling with dirt. And has no light and very little air.
That's what I mean yeah. You could theoretically still be alive for some amount of time stuck there. Horrible.

ant1532

Banned
i live in florida and now im paranoid. thank the universe i live near the beach. this can happen by the beach.
right...?

Hex

Banned
He should have been playing Force of Will or at least Daze.

(Seriously though, living here in St Pete sinkholes have been something that have been a property owners boogey man for a long long time, spooky stuff.
I really hope his family gets some closure)

Carlisle

Fuck. Man. Fuck.

I've read that Iceland has a shitload of these. It's so bad in some parts that if you're hiking through open land they warn you to never set foot off the established trail or you'll likely never be seen or heard from again.

dorkimoe

this is going to be a fear of mine now

What the hell. That sounds horrible...I mean....where would you go? Would you land on something eventually then just starve to death? Would you die from the fall? Suffocate? what the hell! I need to go lie down

Strax

Fuck. Man. Fuck.

I've read that Iceland has a shitload of these. It's so bad in some parts that if you're hiking through open land they warn you to never set foot off the established trail or you'll likely never be seen or heard from again.

Nah, that's not true.

nib95

Banned
How deep are these sinkholes usually? Like, is there a chance he could be alive, or are these things extremely deep?

Alucrid

Banned

Fuck. Thanks, now I fear sinkholes.

Ultratech

How deep are these sinkholes usually? Like, is there a chance he could be alive, or are these things extremely deep?

Anywhere from a few feet to a few thousand feet (~2,000 ft).

If it's as deep as they say, chances of his survival are slim. Especially if they can't get to him.

If he's buried alive (fairly possible), then that's it. :(

nib95

Banned
Anywhere from a few feet to a few thousand feet (~2,000 ft).

If it's as deep as they say, chances of his survival are slim. Especially if they can't get to him.

If he's buried alive (fairly possible), then that's it. :(

.....Sinkholes terrify me. Just glad there are none here in the UK lol.

Dude Abides

Banned

I don't think it really matters because the dirt piles in on top. I think this poor guy probably suffocated in a few minutes. Awful.

Florida man never disappoints.

CNN interviewed the guy's brother this morning, and it was equal parts heart wrenching and hilarious.

The fuck?

There are 7 billion people.

We can afford to lose a few not to mention he wasn't some great mind that was going to cause world peace.

Making nice posts instead of jokes won't bring him back.
What the fuck am I reading? It's the weekend guys, no need to be dicks.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The amount of disrespect in this thread to this man is horrifying.

There are 7 billion people.

We can afford to lose a few not to mention he wasn't some great mind that was going to cause world peace.

Making nice posts instead of jokes won't bring him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom