• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Debut Trailer [Update: Leaked Screenshots In OP]

Axspell

Neo Member
It looks interesting in a high-production-values kind of way, but after AC3 I really wonder if they can pull it together for this one. Maybe what Ubi's dev teams need is a short deadline to make their games -- that way you avoid the feature bloat of AC3 and get refined experiences like Brotherhood and Rev.

Ominym

Banned
I really don't understand the white robe hate. It's iconic. It's tradition. I don't see anything wrong with them just making the robes pirate-y, because honestly I'd be more annoyed if they didn't have the classic white robes. We have enough black-clad characters in video games as is; I welcome the change.

Also, as stated earlier. I really hope this game has more of an order of assassins in it. Wasn't really happy with three's idea of, "He looks like a chef, but he's also an assassin!!" This was one of Brotherhood's biggest strengths; because your building of the guild felt meaningful.

Also, having a ship screams customization. Here's hoping your bad of pirate assassins and boat homebase get equal levels of treatment.

CrazyDude

Not really getting how you hold Altair to this kind of standard and seem to be implying that the other protagonist in the series are superior in any fashion.
I hate Connor for the same reason I hate Altair, the lack of emotion and dry personalities. The whole series is badly written, but at least Ezio has an interesting personality. I never said any of their progressions were good.
Altair had nuance to his dialogue that changed through out the game. He had very specific conversations that you were unable to miss or bypass where they go into his reticence to use other assassins in a job after getting a fellow brother maimed... all the while they are explaining to him that his past mistakes have fashioned his current station and rank - but he can't simply shut everything/one out and do the whole thing alone. That the assassin order was never meant to work that way. That the fight transends nations and races and peoples and is actually a war of ideals.
He DIRECTLY influences these ideals - in the first game even - to a great degree. He sees what absolute power does and gets straight PISSED at his former master.
He speaks in hushed calming tones to victimes later in the game. Understanding that they are all human even if they are a link in a chain that must be broken.
The problem is that it is through a bunch of conversations that makes it such piss progression. We are not shown through action how he changes. You talk about how he learns how he can't shove people away and do the whole thing alone, but for pretty much the whole game he is working alone. Yet some how his entire view point change from just conversations, but he still goes on doing everything alone. Nothing shows how he progressed. I never see him working together with the other assassins, he collects intelligence by himself and he assassinates targets by him self.

Again - ALL of this is more subtle, more depth and more intriguing (to me) than MOST of Ezio's/Connor's progression. Ezio who starts a big dick swinging normal dude and then becomes an assassin easy peasy... and proceeds to be that guy until he is fucking 67. And Connor.. who is so bland and vanilla that he literally just takes up the cause of whoever the fuck is standing closest to him with the largest personality at the time.

While both of their personal drive consists of "Ya'll kill my mom and pa."
And for all I know Altair became and assassin easy peasy because I never shown otherwise. At least with Ezio I have a reason to care. I have zero reason to go after targets other then the head guy said so.
Altair was always going to be an assassin. Mother and father both were assassins.. he was groomed for it young.. grew up with the skills.. became complacent and arrogant in his knowledge of said skills and was brought low for ignoring the core values of his brotherhood. That alone is a better story than 99% of the other games.
Except we don't see how he is brought low. Nothing in the game shows how he struggles at all, he does things so easily that it feels like nothing has happened to him.

abrack08

I really don't understand the white robe hate. It's iconic. It's tradition. I don't see anything wrong with them just making the robes pirate-y, because honestly I'd be more annoyed if they didn't have the classic white robes. We have enough black-clad characters in video games as is; I welcome the change.

Also, as stated earlier. I really hope this game has more of an order of assassins in it. Wasn't really happy with three's idea of, "He looks like a chef, but he's also an assassin!!" This was one of Brotherhood's biggest strengths; because your building of the guild felt meaningful.

Also, having a ship screams customization. Here's hoping your bad of pirate assassins and boat homebase get equal levels of treatment.

Yeah. I get thinking it doesn't necessarily fit in the various time periods but I like it, personally. Though the black hood shop someone did was awesome too, so hopefully you can die it again. Just also give me the option of traditional, badass white.

Mario007

Dude you must have hated Revelations for the dark robe in that case, or Liberation for Aveline having clothes that fit the era she's in.

nomis

Okay the shop is not the best, but I want to be able to wear a pirate hat

4FIs57C.jpg

hatoverhoodyhipsteralert!

This shouldn't look cool but it does

cdkee

Banned

Yup, and in Revelations meeting an established order in Constantinople and characters such as Yusef was great. I get the plot point about why there was no order in the colonies, but it felt a bit wrong.

Gadirok

Dude looks like a total meathead. Don't really like the design at all.

I dunno. Nothing has been revealed about the character but right now he seems a mix of connor and altair with the silence part, but seems to have nailed a bit of Ezio in their with the ****ing part.

He seems brash and reckless, and ready for the action and this is exactly what I wanted.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Damn, next gen is really pretty, if AC is CGI and Infamous is in-engine.

The AC video looks considerably better than the Second Son engine trailer. It's not in-engine.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
To me it looks 1 or 2 gens away.
At least.

1 gen. 2 gens is way too much. If Shadow Fall, and Second Son are just early titles, imagine what they will do three years down the road with more experience with the systems. And now imagine what they'd do with a hardware that might do better 5 times more. And then you have them CGI trailers being in-game graphics.

injurai

Banned

4FIs57C.jpg

so much better, the forced hood is really getting on my nerves. Not that it doesn't look cool but hoods really went out of style for a while

Hex

Banned
I love walking into Gamestop and basking in the "huh" look of their employees (even though one was kind of cute).
I walked in asking if they had the pre-order posters in and if not would they be in this week for Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag.
Assassins Creed IV? That probably won't be announced for a while..
Really?
I have a strong feeling that pre-orders will be starting pretty soon I said, actually the site is even up. Trailer is out there (even though officially shouldn't be out until Monday).
Just shocked me that they do not even have a clue.
I also asked about the Pokemon event that starts Monday for Meloetta exclusively at Gamestop and they had no idea about that either even though this location (as well as most around here always do them)

Randdalf

so much better, the forced hood is really getting on my nerves. Not that it doesn't look cool but hoods really went out of style for a while

The cool thing they did with Haytham's hat is that the corner of it was positioned in such a way that when you looked at him head on it resembled the Assassin hood's tip. I was hoping for an approach more like that with this.

EMT0

Banned
I love walking into Gamestop and basking in the "huh" look of their employees (even though one was kind of cute).
I walked in asking if they had the pre-order posters in and if not would they be in this week for Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag.
Assassins Creed IV? That probably won't be announced for a while..
Really?
I have a strong feeling that pre-orders will be starting pretty soon I said, actually the site is even up. Trailer is out there (even though officially shouldn't be out until Monday).
Just shocked me that they do not even have a clue.
I also asked about the Pokemon event that starts Monday for Meloetta exclusively at Gamestop and they had no idea about that either even though this location (as well as most around here always do them)

Gamestop is notorious for hiring people who only work there for the entry-level retail money and know nothing of what they're actually selling.

AT LEAST they should've went with black

CPlYrt8.jpg

I'd rather have a Pirate hat instead of the Assassin Hood® too

+

4FIs57C.jpg

These are so much better, I really fucking wish they would integrate the costume into the theme more. This and Connors costume from AC3 look so out of place and lazy.

Alienous

Really? I thought it looked a lot more appropriate than in ACB. At least he blends in the snow better, Ezio can be seen a mile away with that bright white.

When Ezio wanted to hide in Brotherhood, he used a disguise.

Otherwise, being the badass he is, he achieved near Batman tier status. Sure, the guards would notice him. Would they do anything about it unless provoked? Nope.

injurai

Banned
Really? I thought it looked a lot more appropriate than in ACB. At least he blends in the snow better, Ezio can be seen a mile away with that bright white.

Otherwise, being the badass he is, he achieved near Batman tier status. Sure, the guards would notice him. Would they do anything about it unless provoked? Nope.

It was that iconic and flamboyant dress of the Italian Renaissance. I feel it served it's purpose quite well.

For the Renaissance period it looked appropriate and not nearly as out of place as it does in the more recent games. I just really wish they would try to reinvent the look of the character a bit.. yes, make sure people can tell hes an assassin, but make it look more fresh and appropriate given the setting. I like how Desmond's hoody sort of looks like the robe, but still looks natural.

Alrus

I never understood why studios waste money on CGI trailer, I always found them pointless.

Hope we see some gameplay soon.

Toa TAK

Banned

:lol. Okay, some serious truth right there.

For the Renaissance period it looked appropriate and not nearly as out of place as it does in the more recent games. I just really wish they would try to reinvent the look of the character a bit.. yes, make sure people can tell hes an assassin, but make it look more fresh and appropriate given the setting. I like how Desmond's hoody sort of looks like the robe, but still looks natural.

But what about Connor's outfit did it not make it seem appropriate? What is it about his clothing that doesn't seem to fit with the setting he's in?

injurai

Banned
I never understood why studios waste money on CGI trailer, I always found them pointless.

Obviously it generates enough attention to make up for the cost, plus it doesn't involve half the things that go into making a dynamic real time rendering game. Just pure artistic expression really. I could care less, I'd rather see money spent on these than all that other bull shit marketing.

Redhood

OK I see some similarities between this and AC3:L such as pirates and underwater swimming.
Lets hope we have the option of hats in the game as in AC3:L.

I think this game was already in development when AC3 was being developed. No way a team can churn out games every year of this breadth and scope.

Randdalf

Because they only properly started making the game 6 months ago and it isn't in a state where it can be shown in trailers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is actually the first AC trailer where the hood is basically not worn for at least half if not more of the video.

Look at all past AC games, especially those other than ACR (which was the only trailer that was really about the character, until this one), the character himself was pretty much non-existant, it was just an assassin with a hood over his eyes. ACR and ACBF both put focus on the character, and we see in this one he is most often without the hood. Plus the first screen that leaked shows him without hood too. It's not a coincidence.

Dead

well not really...yet
The Assassin's costume seems oddly...nondescript compared to all the previous ones. Very generic looking :\

Top Bottom