• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension reviews

gibration

Gamespot.com said:
Multiplayer lacks originality and compelling modes.
Gamespot.com said:
Yes, for the first time, God of War has a multiplayer mode. And like most multiplayer modes tacked onto a largely single-player adventure, it's not something you're likely to play more than once, and only then out of morbid curiosity.
Bahaha! What a fucking joke.

Good reviews all around though. Glad to see most reviewers liking the multiplayer. Easily the most exciting part about GoW: Ascension.

Vol5

Definately picking this up. Sure, there's probably some GoW fatigue creeping in, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it, just like every other GoW game.

meta4

Sony santa monica can only dream of having a thrilling combat system as platinium guys.

Seriously. Same triangle triangle triangle move set gets pretty old.

After all these years we are still fighting on a combat system designed from 2005. I am so sick of the chains and i have only played GOW3

series fatigue and samey combat system has killed ascension before it even is released

Eff MGR. I dont want that boring shit in GOW. I want improvements in its level design.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
please dont make "bros before hoes" the next big Gaf outrage.

If Bradley Cooper says this in an R-rated comedy, we all chuckle.

but if it's said in an M-Rated videogame in which you decapitate human/elephant hybrids we're all gonna flip out about it? Stop now, guys. Seriously.

Vire

FYI, one of our female producers came up with the name of the trophy.

I don't really care, that doesn't make it much better.

It appeals to the lowest common denominator.

but if it's said in an M-Rated videogame in which you decapitate human/elephant hybrids we're all gonna flip out about it? Stop now, guys. Seriously.

It's the context, it happens after you smash a woman's face in repeatedly.

pelican

Remind me guys.

Why do we listen to these guys? None of them are in a better position than any of us to judge a game's quality and merit. Working on a video game site adds nothing to the equation.

Personally I stopped caring about review scores a long time ago. I don't need my purchasing decisions ratified by some guy who happens to work on a video game site.

velociraptor

Reviews are a bit shit. Don't really care though - I love GOW. I'll buy the game once it hits £25. The campaign sounds good and the co-op mode seems interesting to me.

Hopefully SSM will reboot the franchise next-gen. We don't need another Kratos game.

Audioboxer

This.

Jigolo

lmao @ the "bros before hoes" trophy. Just watched Sessler's review and I do think he took that part too seriously. I don't take any video game that seriously

I remember people making a big deal of MW2s "No Russian" mission. Just stop guys, these are video games. You're not supposed to take them so serious. my 2 cents on that part

Zen

Banned
Sony santa monica can only dream of having a thrilling combat system as platinium guys.

Seriously. Same triangle triangle triangle move set gets pretty old.

After all these years we are still fighting on a combat system designed from 2005. I am so sick of the chains and i have only played GOW3

series fatigue and samey combat system has killed ascension before it even is released

Rising has a fraction of the depth of Ascension and sure Rising is very fun, but it's no God of War, or even what a Rising 2 will be.

You talk about 'thrilling combat' but that's only one element in a God of War game and your opinion on that is subjective.

What isn't subjective is that Platinum would make a very sub standard God of War game and if you took the project to them it's extremely doubtful that they would accept it simply because they'd know they don't have the bandwithd and expertise to pull it off. We're not just talking about what you consider thrilling combat, we're talking about art direction (a weakness for them) camera work (another weakness) technical ability (not up to SSM), animation (never seen anything of their work that has matched up to a GoW game). God of War games are far more fleshed out than the type of action games they make, and Platinum games knob jobbing doesn't change any of that (though I do really like Rising and a few of their games).

Sorry it's the truth.

Remind me guys.

Why do we listen to these guys? None of them are in a better position than any of us to judge a game's quality and merit. Working on a video game site adds nothing to the equation.

Personally I stopped caring about review scores a long time ago. I don't need my purchasing decisions ratified by some guy who happens to work on a video game site.

Many of them are in a worse position because of the review structure, they aren't getting real time with the game the way your average consumer would, and a surprising amount of them just aren't all that good at video games to begin with, oddly enough, or because of the compressed schedule, react to difficulty curves worse than your average consumer would.

So essentially the lower scores are largely due to a "more of the same" criticism from the reviewers. I will not take them seriously until they apply that criticism universally to all game franchises.

Seriously lol. Now I wonder if the next Gears going to score higher.

nofi

Remind me guys.

Welcome to a thread that's all about reviews then... :/

JB1981

Reviews are a bit shit. Don't really care though - I love GOW. I'll buy the game once it hits £25. The campaign sounds good and the co-op mode seems interesting to me.

Hopefully SSM will reboot the franchise next-gen. We don't need another Kratos game.

Wouldn't be turned off by the reviews, man. Bet the game is good.

Loudninja

Its is really ridiculous.

I like how it's getting knocked for not having titans...in the context of the story there wouldn't be any Titan sections right? And we only interacted with 2 last game anyways. And complaining about taking out the cestus and blade of Olympus? It's a prequel and those were gained later...I always felt like GOW3 had too many weapons that never felt as good as the blades.

Hopefully SSM sees that it's time to branch out to a new mythology. Man I would love to see them start a new story with a fresh batch of powerful gods/monsters to take down

Margalis

Banned
FYI, one of our female producers came up with the name of the trophy.

And?

Not only is it arguably crass and in poor taste but it also doesn't make sense for some frat-guy saying to appear in a game rooted in Greek Mythology.

Like..at least make it "bros priori hoes" or something.

people slagging off the bros before hoes achievement obviously don't have a sense of humour

Yeah,what about games that get off entirely on that humor like Duke Nukem? Where's the outrage there?

Did people also forget about how each GOW had a sex minigame! A SEX MINIGAME! lol

lmao @ the "bros before hoes" trophy. Just watched Sessler's review and I do think he took that part too seriously. I don't take any video game that seriously

I remember people making a big deal of MW2s "No Russian" mission. Just stop guys, these are video games. You're not supposed to take them so serious. my 2 cents on that part

But that kind of devalues videogames. Why take movies and books seriously, and not videogames? I do agree the reaction might be exaggerated though, because it's a trophy title and that itself is kind of meaningless.

Dr Dogg

CVG

hCZO1WC.png

Hmmm I didn't know that "Guts-spilling, brain-carving gore." is considered a plus point. Pfft and some people say gamers crave violence. CVG hasn't been any good since Julian Rignall left and that's close to 23 years ago.

So did the the God of War 3 team make this or this is a Uncharted 3 situation where the real A team went to make Last of US and left the B team on uncharted? I thought SSM was making a new PS4 IP

StuBurns

Banned
Quick hint. You seem to be confused. In the scale of 1-10, 5 is the average. Not 7 or above.
Posts like this are really pointless.

Do you know the average score for PS3 games over the last six months? Are they 50/100? No, in fact, based on Gamerankings, there is not a single game that bad on PS3 in the last six months.

People can say 5 is average all they like, it's not even close to true.

Cartman86

Banned

We are laughing at him.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Anita is going to have a field day on that one.

I just thought of that actually. I would hope she would actually play the game to understand the context behind the trophy and not just add it as a bullet point to her list.

So did the the God of War 3 team make this or this is a Uncharted 3 situation where the real A team went to make Last of US and left the B team on uncharted? I thought SSM was making a new PS4 IP

It's already been clarified here on GAF but there is no Team A and Team B at Naughty Dog. They are all one team just split up doing different things and helping when they can. What did change however with U2 and U3 is the creative director for Uncharted 2 was working on Last of Us while Uncharted 3 was being made. Most people contribute U3 not living up to U2 because of that change.

Vire

Seriously, stop being childish.

The only thing that's childish is the trophy.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it weren't for the fact that you just finished repeatedly bashing a woman's face in.

"BROS BEFORE HOS AM I RIGHT?"

Audioboxer

But that kind of devalues videogames. Why take movies and books seriously, and not videogames? I do agree the reaction might be exaggerated though, because it's a trophy title and that itself is kind of meaningless.

This is a fictional story set around a 'psychopathic killer' (who later kills for revenge) who decapitates elephants using two blades on chains.

People need to get their priorities right on what to take seriously, and what to have a laugh at.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
It's the context, it happens after you smash a woman's face in repeatedly.

Who cares? It's God of War.

Think about it for a second.

Kratos violently ripping the heads off of men, women, and beasts = Okay.
Decapitating Medusa after beating the shit out of her = Great fun.
Burning an innocent man alive in order to open a door = Cool.
First person beatdown and kill of Posieden complete with interactive eye gouging = AWESOME

Use of term "bros before hoes" in a trophy notification that pops up for less than 5 seconds = "WTF misogynistic garbage!"

Are you people serious? Get over yourselves.

Top Bottom