• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus |OT| ( + )( + )

DR2K

Banned
I think bullshots are to be expected from any publisher, but this is straight up deceit.

Official DOA5+ site:
ss01_11.jpg

Real thing:
PVn0ixj.jpg

They didn't just AA, the models and lighting are entirely different (lack of self shadowing is most obvious).

Surely there's people who pre-ordered based on the assumption the final game will somewhat resemble that. Now I wouldn't be surprised if the cutscenes are just videos

You're trying too hard, they've already shown videos that look nothing like those PS3 models.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
More screenshots. Characters still get dirty and clothes get damp with sweat:

HME6qlK.jpg
JIWIdyy.jpg

kzqDJdr.jpg
tvr4tAn.jpg

L17nSs4.jpg
ySRwldH.jpg

6EkLouq.jpg
DKK3dcj.jpg

xL0uX0q.jpg
Aofbmmd.jpg

1xjEfGT.jpg
sqL1XKI.jpg

3FTCKLP.jpg
u1WWtB3.jpg

3bPLPUZ.jpg
VUL4TPz.jpg

6Yjy3RT.jpg
Bh50UWN.jpg

16HoyAG.jpg
rx1J2PD.jpg

Lyte Edge

It has some added content and is also missing content- the biggest omissions are the removed tag mode and lobbies online.

I think I'd have to rank this game as the #2 best Vita fighter behind SFxTK. SFxTK is the total package and only had content added-- nothing was removed.

ToD_

"you cannot take a screenshot of this screen"

ok

Wonder why these are not in native res while Lyte Edge's screens are. The gameplay is really native, right? Not just in spectator mode, I hope...

Edit: Copied Lyte Edge's screens to my Vita, and it does look very nice. The others not so much.

Lyte Edge

Vita screenshots always look kind of ugly when they're blown up and games of course look better on the OLED screen. I was hesitant to not resize the pics I took, TBH.

When Mortal Kombat came out, I also found it early and posted screenshots. People said it looked like a Playstation 1 game, lol. It's easily the worst-looking mainstream fighter on the Vita, but even it looks much better in motion and on the OLED screen.

It's laughable that a few people are saying the game looks bad. Show me another portable fighting game that looks better than this does.

Wonder why these are not in native res while Lyte Edge's screens are. The gameplay is really native, right? Not just in spectator mode, I hope...

Edit: Copied Lyte Edge's screens to my Vita, and it does look very nice. The others not so much.

No difference between spectator mode and regular matches- spectator mode is just like watching replays. :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think I'd have to rank this game as the #2 best Vita fighter behind SFxTK. SFxTK is the total package and only had content added-- nothing was removed.

What about Marvel, Blazblue?

Lyte Edge

That's what I figured, but it doesn't explain why the others are at a lower res. Spectator mode runs at 60fps as well?

Yes. It is exactly the same. Spectator mode allows you to pause the battles, however, making for easy screenshots.

Lyte Edge

What about Marvel, Blazblue?

I put those two games (and Mortal Kombat) behind PS All-Stars, DOA5+ and SFxTK because they don't offer cross-play. Cross-play is the main reason why I have spent so much time with SFxTK and will be spending a lot of time with this game too. Being able to play matches against both Vita and PS3 players is just amazing.

Which reminds me- am I missing something or is there no way to tell if cross-play is even working in this game right now?

ToD_

Yes. It is exactly the same. Spectator mode allows you to pause the battles, however, making for easy screenshots.

I understand, and I do believe you. But for the sake of putting my mind at ease, would you mind taking a screen during normal gameplay? I'd appreciate that :)

PS. Picked up BlazBlue during the sale last week, and that's quite a nice port from the little bit I played.

TheSeks

I don't think there's a way to tell currently. They did show screenshots of handheld/Dual-Shock 3 controllers near the usernames of online players in promos. Not sure if that's left in or not.

Zukuu

Banned
The thread title needs an edit. Those are smiley boobs:
(. Y .)

I think the game looks fine from a graphical point of view btw.

P90

After 45 minutes of play time, overall, I am not impressed. Visuals are nice, but not awe-inspiring. The arenas are less than original. Personally, the gameplay, it seems, is mostly about momentum and turtling. If you have the momentum, you are going to win. One mistake and you are going to lose. Turtle, find an opening and bingo, "A Winner is You". This seems worse than other iterations of the game. (I have not played DOA5). Touch mode is instant win. I am playing mostly with Kokoro, Kasumi, and Helena-my triumvirate of ta-tas. I'll be putting more time in before I make a final judgment, but at this point DOA:D>DOA5+, in the handheld DOA fight, all things considered. Obviously, YMMV.

After 45 minutes of play time, overall, I am not impressed. Visuals are nice, but not awe-inspiring. The arenas are less than original. Personally, the gameplay, it seems, is mostly about momentum and turtling. If you have the momentum, you are going to win. One mistake and you are going to lose. Turtle, find an opening and bingo, "A Winner is You". This seems worse than other iterations of the game. (I have not played DOA5). I am playing mostly with Kokoro, Kasumi, and Helena-my triumvirate of ta-tas. I'll be putting more time in before I make a final judgment, but at this point DOA:D>DOA5+, in the handheld DOA fight, all things considered. Obviously, YMMV.
I haven't played it, but isn't DOA Dimensions basically DOA4 cut down into a portable mishmash/series retrospective? So it's not all that different from DOA5 then as far as the guessing game/"momentum" goes.

Looking at these screens, I'm very pleased with what sacrifices Team Ninja made. The characters' faces look amazing, and the reduced musculature/texture detail remind me of the old flat-shaded "doll" look, which I actually prefer to the sinewy imperfections that made my sexy little china dolls look like sweaty, pulsating viscera.

Since I'm predicting that early digital adopters will get the pre-order DLC for free, I'm going to resist the temptation of going to my local GameStop. Can't wait until Tuesday
grin.gif

P.S. - Would anyone be so kind as to list the additional music tracks from the older games that are included? Thanks!

TheSeks

After 45 minutes of play time, overall, I am not impressed. Visuals are nice, but not awe-inspiring. The arenas are less than original. Personally, the gameplay, it seems, is mostly about momentum and turtling. If you have the momentum, you are going to win. One mistake and you are going to lose. Turtle, find an opening and bingo, "A Winner is You". This seems worse than other iterations of the game. (I have not played DOA5). Touch mode is instant win. I am playing mostly with Kokoro, Kasumi, and Helena-my triumvirate of ta-tas. I'll be putting more time in before I make a final judgment, but at this point DOA:D>DOA5+, in the handheld DOA fight, all things considered. Obviously, YMMV.

So wrong, it hurts.

Only thing Dimensions has over 5+ is Tag mode.

DR2K

Banned

If you want to train online with me, I can help out with your offense.

So wrong, it hurts.

Dimensions doesn't really have a tag mode, lol

P90

So wrong, it hurts.

Yeah, truth hurts. ;) Take my post in full context. DOA:D has its issues, but so far, DOA 5+ is less than impressive. Where's Itagaki when you need him!?

If you want to train online with me, I can help out with your offense.

Thanks for the offer. Not tonight, though. Been a long day.

Lyte Edge

I understand, and I do believe you. But for the sake of putting my mind at ease, would you mind taking a screen during normal gameplay? I'd appreciate that :)

I'm glad you asked- screenshots definitely look noticeably worse when captured from game play that cannot be paused (I.E. anything outside of replays/spectator matches in spectator mode).

But I have to stress that the game does NOT look like this when you're playing matches. That's still not going to stop some of the comments I expect to follow this, though, LOL.

rmdMbXK.jpg

WIc8474.jpg

HlRSvmH.jpg

5PkwWf8.jpg

HQzWpaR.jpg

And then here's screenshots of the win pose screens. No difference in the framerate, resolution (that I can tell), or character models...but they are not moving.

V9BflJl.jpg

4m49yEI.jpg

Lyte Edge

I just started a Tina/Ayane match on Zack Island in spectator mode. Same model detail, same framerate, BUT without those lifebars the resolution DOES seem to be a bit higher. Hmm...

ToD_

I'm glad you asked- screenshots definitely look noticeably worse when captured from game play that cannot be paused (I.E. anything outside of replays/spectator matches in spectator mode).

But I have to stress that the game does NOT look like this when you're playing matches. That's still not going to stop some of the comments I expect to follow this, though, LOL.

Thanks for doing this! Regardless, I'll be picking this up - love me some DOA.

TheSeks

Take my post in full context.

Even in full context you're wrong. You're comparing a Dreamcast/PS2/X-box era graphical tech/performance (that chugs at 30FPS with 3D on/main-selling point) versus a PS3/X-box 360 graphical revamp tech/performance on a system that is supposed to be a "PS2.5/mini-PS3."

Feature wise DOA5+ is more featured packed with exceptions of Tag mode and Online lobbies removed.

Gameplay wise, DOA5 fixed the stun-guessing game DOA4:D had. Grape could write endless pages about this in regards of the gameplay, but let's just summarize: You're wrong. No matter if it's a short-snippet or the whole she-bang. You're wrong and there's nothing you can do to convince me of different.

(With regards to damage: That's the only thing I'll agree with. But that's always been a series staple and DOA3+'s damage was BANANAS in regards to round-time/come-backs.)

Lyte Edge

Yeah, truth hurts. ;) Take my post in full context. DOA:D has its issues, but so far, DOA 5+ is less than impressive. Where's Itagaki when you need him!?

DOA:D has a dumbed-down counter system and the online play is much worse -and lacking a ton of options- in comparison.

Ken

Bleh, my Gamestop told me it wasn't out until Tuesday. Then I told her that Gamestops in America were already selling the game, so she checked and saw they are just waiting for the game which isn't coming until Monday. However they already cut off pre-orders so I'm not sure if I should get it anymore since MonHun is the day after.

raven777

there seems to be a big difference between replay screenshots and battle screenshots.

So the real thing is closer to replay?

How is the resolution? native?

Skilletor

Even in full context you're wrong. You're comparing a Dreamcast/PS2/X-box era graphical tech/performance (that chugs at 30FPS with 3D on/main-selling point) versus a PS3/X-box 360 graphical revamp tech/performance on a system that is supposed to be a "PS2.5/mini-PS3."

Feature wise DOA5+ is more featured packed with exceptions of Tag mode and Online lobbies removed.

Gameplay wise, DOA5 fixed the stun-guessing game DOA4:D had. Grape could write endless pages about this in regards of the gameplay, but let's just summarize: You're wrong. No matter if it's a short-snippet or the whole she-bang. You're wrong and there's nothing you can do to convince me of different.

(With regards to damage: That's the only thing I'll agree with. But that's always been a series staple and DOA3+'s damage was BANANAS in regards to round-time/come-backs.)

No, it didn't.

DoA5+ curbstomps DoA:D.

Turtling is far less effective in this game since counters do far less damage. It sounds like you don't know what you're talking about, which isn't surprising since you're making assumptions from 45 minutes of playing.

Azuardo

I'm just reading the list of features in the OT of the PS3 DOA5 version and saw this:

"Online Dojo – An online training mode where you can practice with other players."

I haven't seen this in my DOA5 on PS3. Was this removed in a patch or something? Or am I just blind...?

I got the text but left my phone behind so I wasn't aware of the text that I could pick it up today; I'll pick it up tomorrow. Why did they decide to release it so early? Not that I'm complaining.

Mesharey

I'm just reading the list of features in the OT of the PS3 DOA5 version and saw this:

"Online Dojo – An online training mode where you can practice with other players."

I haven't seen this in my DOA5 on PS3. Was this removed in a patch or something? Or am I just blind...?
It's available, check lobby settings.

Top Bottom