• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.
31QwmH4.png

We're still years away from reaching this level of CG.

..... Not really. I mean, if you think about it, the only complex thing the computer would be running are a few inches of skin around the eyes and mouth. Count me in Team CG. Even if it's not a Fox Engine demo I feel like the mannerisms don't look very "Real" to me, and the choice of having black shirt on black background seem odd to me too.

Davey Jones is a great example of CG everyone thought was real.

Just so you know, there is a vast difference in animating a non-human as opposed to a believable, so-real-you-won't-notice-it-at-all normal human face. The latter is much, MUCH more difficult, even with current tech. The best these pro-CG people here have to offer is that often-quoted Emily demo and the Audrey Hepburn ad, both of which are painfully obviously CG.

We are not at that level with humans yet.

Pavaloo

I think we're definitely there. I think with the tech behind avatar you could easily create human-like cg if they opted to not use navi's. Like Jeff Bridges in Tron except James Cameron budget and polish.

baphomet

It's hilarious this thread is still going. He is definitely a real actor with no CG in the video. It's cut very strangely and I'm sure Kojima has some sort of agenda with this video. I still believe that they were never in the same room and the answer to the "questions" was sent to gametrailers and the questions recorded seperately. But the Joakim in the video is a real person.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just so you know, there is a vast difference in animating a non-human as opposed to a believable, so-real-you-won't-notice-it-at-all normal human face. The latter is much, MUCH more difficult, even with current tech. The best these pro-CG people here have to offer is that often-quoted Emily demo and the Audrey Hepburn ad, both of which are painfully obviously CG.

Yeah, I know dude. :p

what if we wrap half the face in bandages

hide what normal gets noticed as "off"

TeamReall fo sho. Why would he need to be cg? I mean, what developer watches this interview for Kojima to want to advertise the fox engine. I'm sure that engine won't be only for him too. Him being cg just seems like a really farfetched thing, but it's fun to speculate that he might be cg; therefore, TeamCG isn't starved of members. Once you start thinking about him being cg, you become enclosed in tunnel vision where anything anyone says only makes you believe more. If I'm wrong, boy am I going to eat a lot of crow hahahahahaha.

TeamReall fo sho. Why would he need to be cg? I mean, what developer watches this interview for Kojima to want to advertise the fox engine. I'm sure that engine won't be only for him too. Him being cg just seems like a really farfetched thing, but it's fun to speculate that he might be cg; therefore, TeamCG isn't starved of members. Once you start thinking about him being cg, you become enclosed in tunnel vision where anything anyone says only makes you believe more. If I'm wrong, boy am I going to eat a lot of crow hahahahahaha.

just seems more people would listen to a lecture about photorealism at GDC if he actually had an example of something that was photo real without people realizing it was cg

The fox engine is Kojima stating Japan is making a comeback

plus it's Kojima, he's very theatrical

AI MATRIX: SECTOR 07-A942

VR PROGRAM. "PHANTOM_PAIN.ME"

PURPOSE:
TREATMENT OF NEUROLOGICAL DAMAGE SUSTAINED IN COMBAT
TREATMENT OF COMBAT-RELATED PSYCHOLOGICAL STRESS
????????? OF COMBAT ABILITY FOLLOWING IMPAIRMENT
IMPLEMENTATION OF ?????????

A1qrDlE.png

qfG4VZA.gif

[ENHANCEMENT] OF COMBAT ABILITY FOLLOWING IMPAIRMENT

I don't have the font being used, but this is close enough to see.

Kraftwerk

Question;

Wouldn't this type of realism be possible in this day and age since we are ONLY animating a face? I mean; they don't have to spend any power/resources when it comes to all the extra assets i.e city, levels, extra characters, backgrounds, items etc. Pardon the ignorane if this is not how it works, just a thought. Specially with all the facial mapping technology available.

This isn't even about this interview, just curious.

In regards to where Phantom Pain might fit into the Metal Gear storyline:

Les Enfants Terribles
In 1972, Big Boss was gravely wounded from a battle and fell into a coma. Afraid of losing the Patriots' idol, Zero carried out a secret project known as "Les Enfants Terribles", in which Para-Medic would use Big Boss's DNA to create a number of clones. With EVA serving as the surrogate mother, Solid Snake and Liquid Snake were born (a third son would be born at a later date). However, this proved to be the final straw between Big Boss and Zero, and the former left the organization with a determination to oppose them and later formed his own mercenary group in an attempt to carry out his vision of The Boss's dying wish.

Cue the trailer shown at the VGAs?

Source.

S0N0S

I've mostly skimmed the thread, but do people actually think he is CG? I had myself convinced the poll results were skewed due to trolling, but the posts make me think otherwise.

Keslord

Banned
Kojima is currently talking on his Japanese twitter on how important it is for the FOX engine to replicate real people ala the way wax figures can. He tweeted this photo of a wax figure, implying this is the detail the FOX engine is intended to do

He fucking knows people think Joakim is CGI

Xux

Looks "fake" though I can't put my finger on what...though they definitely beat Uncanny Valley if it is.

It's also crazy that they found someone whose first name is an anagram of Kojima.

mango drank

what if we wrap half the face in bandages

hide what normal gets noticed as "off"

Yup, the forehead, nose, and chin are really hard to depict and animate realistically, and they're what everyone's instinctively drawn to when looking at a face, so it's wise they didn't try here. Eyes and mouth are a piece of cake, and no one pays any attention to those.

#TeamMensa

eso76

I finally watched the entire thing in HD.

Have you guys noticed his neck muscles, his Adam's apple going up and down, the way bandages in the neck area get wrinkles, the way his lips swell on certain words, the way his eyes keep moving under his eyelids, small wrinkles appearing on both sides of his mouth..

Kojima is currently talking on his Japanese twitter on how important it is for the FOX engine to replicate real people ala the way wax figures can. He tweeted this photo of a wax figure, implying this is the detail the FOX engine is intended to do

He fucking knows people think Joakim is CGI
Thanks for this, i'm honestly convinced some of the interview was CG, this lends credence to the "point" of the "interview".

Keslord

Banned
I think I might have figured something out. Chico is the trojan horse. There's a bomb inside him. The plug in his chest probably has something to do with this, maybe the countdown is only active when it's plugged out or something. Big Boss will rescue Chico, who subsequently explodes, leaving Big Boss crippled and in a coma, not to mention horribly traumatized by Chico's death. This is what fuels his bitter hatred for Zero, and drives him insane.

Credit to /v/, but fuck me if it doesn't make sense.

Yazan

Looks "fake" though I can't put my finger on what...though they definitely beat Uncanny Valley if it is.

It's also crazy that they found someone whose first name is an anagram of Kojima.

Neither the guy nor the company exist in Sweden. Also, his 'accent' is not the typical Swedish-English, but more of the 'This is how Swedes talk Hollywood style'.

Well, the gametrailers fanmade vid gets discovered again and again i see.

Anyway:
- yes, The interview was weird
- yes, with a LOT of work people are able to make this level of CGI. But when you really look at the small details it would take an insane amount of time. It has never been done before for such a silly reason either.
- stop looking at horribly compressed videos. Even the HD video is compressed enough as it is.
- no, this is not running on FOX engine. Kojima allready showed examples of what faces look like on Fox engine.
It's realism in GAMES he is talking about. Not realism in movies.
- no, Joakim Mogren is not CG. he's probably a scandanavian dude. Yes, they have an accent when they talk english.
- no he looks nothing like Cliffy B. That's where the truely blind people come in.

#TeamRational

Top Bottom