• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

Make Stun Rod an overhead.

Give Chris an M4 mapped to QCF+S. On ground fires diagonally up, in the air fires straight forward.

Then give him Elbow Drop in the air mapped to down+M, causes hard knockdown.

Top Tier Chris.

Make Stun Rod an overhead.

Give Chris an M4 mapped to QCF+S. On ground fires diagonally up, in the air fires straight forward.

Then give him Elbow Drop in the air mapped to down+M, causes hard knockdown.

Top Tier Chris.

Hahaha. Elbow drop would be awesome. I thought about the diagonal firing but figured it's just too good. I'm still trying to keep him a reasonable character. Plus if he was too good, then he'd just get nerfed in the following update..............which would never come anyway.

Well he still needs something in that zone because he got nothing there. A glaring hole in his zoning offense.

It's true, but after playing him for so long in this and vanilla, I've just accepted it as a weakness. I suppose if it was only one gun type that he could shoot diagonally then it wouldn't be too bad (like you said, an M4), but I'm getting giddy just thinking about shooting the shotgun and magnum diagonally.

Dahbomb

hey dahbomb do one of those change lists for hawkeye/task/haggar.
Hawkeye and Taskmaster are characters that I feel are "just right". They aren't top tier but they are clearly above mid tier which is where I feel most characters should be at in this game, strong but not OP. Main thing I would change on Hawkeye is the tracking on Gimlet so that it doesn't randomly whiff and improve recovery so you don't get hit at close ranged from X factored character even if you hit them with Gimlet. I think a Hawkeye type character works well in this game in that he is an extreme type character... he either wins match ups big or loses hard. Because it's a team game match ups don't matter as much so you can afford to have an extreme character like that.

Taskmaster's only real shortcomings are the uselessness of his Swordmaster moves and his counters which are high risk/low reward. Up the reward for the counters and improve utility for the Swordmaster combos (like have it be a high low mix up string with an unblockable option). It would make him more interesting.

Haggar is another extreme character like Hawkeye only at the opposite spectrum. Characters who Hawkeye owns in return own Haggar but Haggar owns characters that Hawkeye has trouble against like Wolverine. However Hawkeye at least has good up close normals that you can use to buy time for an assist call to create space... Haggar loses super hard to some forms of keepaway. I think a command roll is really needed for him, similar to the one he has after drop kicking on the ground. Basically one that can go under beams and stuff. He also needs a fast fall version of his butt slam aerial move.

I would also buff the damage of all LVL3 command grab hypers in the game. If you land one of those, that should be 550K minimum.

LakeEarth

I would also buff the damage of all LVL3 command grab hypers in the game. If you land one of those, that should be 550K minimum.

Especially Nemesis. He's already not a good character, it has no invulnerability, and it can only be comboed with another meter. I've only made it work by DHCing into it, but every hyper command grab can do that.

Dahbomb

Especially Nemesis. He's already not a good character, it has no invulnerability, and it can only be comboed with another meter. I've only made it work by DHCing into it, but every hyper command grab can do that.
Nemesis needs a lot of changes as well most notably his scaling on normals, armor on his moves, his LVL1 rush hyper and his LVL3. They really fucked up the armor on his moves, they start up way too late to be effective in this game.

Deadpool's LVL3 should just be a LVL1 hyper but with reduced damage. He really doesn't need much as it is but 3 bars for a hail Mary counter is just stupid.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
GGs Beardo and Beef.

Sorry to make you guys make a lobby just for me lol.

I started playing the Hawkeye/Doom/Strider team yesterday. Point Hawkeye I have not played in months and as you can tell the Doom is very very new. And shitty.

Beardo you need to upback like 3000% more. You kept on getting opened up by Joe by downbacking while I'm thinking, wtf why would you crouch with Joe that close to you? Upback> push block> tell him to fuck off. Also you were playing Deadpool you need to be way more liberal with gunshots. I know they're slow but they are god damn durable and could probably get through most of what Beef was throwing at you.

Beef tag ins are over heads.

Also for Dahbomb, I won a match vs. Beef using IM lol.

Solune

Chris (Yes I play him, so of course I'm slightly biased)

- Extend hitbox of flamethrower so that it can hit crouching Frank West (seriously I don't give a shit about any other character, but others would be fine too). OR allow Chris to call assists during flamethrower. I'd prefer the former but would happily take the latter as that could lead to some serious damage with certain assists.

- Gun fire can shoot straight in air with atk+S. Magnum will not cause wall bounce or hard knockdown as that would be too good. But I'd take it if people think it's ok.

- Reduced recovery on stun rod for safe blockstring. Or stun rod has increased startup but is overhead

- Grenade toss L has less recovery so comboing off of it is easier and less character specific.

- Grenade toss M does more damage plus hard knockdown. I honestly use this move for nothing other than very very specific combos and I'd like to use it more.

- Combination Punch L>M>H should be easier. Yes I can do it 9/10 times just because I've practiced it so much but I usually don't risk it outside of being fancy because the H is easy to fuck up on.

- Combination Punch M>H should be easier and magnum shot should never miss

- Sweep combo is invincible until Chris puts stun rod away.

Good changes all around. Stun Rod overhead would be godlike.

I'd also change Gunfire L's hitbox so that it hits the entire area in front of Chris, so no whiffing point blank.

I'd change Combination Punch M or H to a Boulder Crushing move ala Tron's F+H ( or Charizard in Brawl or Sinanju in Gundam EXVS )

I want to make some changes to his prone so that it's not as sensitive to holding up makes you jump when you just want to go back to neutral.

Dahbomb

GGs Beardo and Beef.

Sorry to make you guys make a lobby just for me lol.

I started playing the Hawkeye/Doom/Strider team yesterday. Point Hawkeye I have not played in months and as you can tell the Doom is very very new. And shitty.

Beardo you need to upback like 3000% more. You kept on getting opened up by Joe by downbacking while I'm thinking, wtf why would you crouch with Joe that close to you? Upback> push block> tell him to fuck off. Also you were playing Deadpool you need to be way more liberal with gunshots. I know they're slow but they are god damn durable and could probably get through most of what Beef was throwing at you.

Beef tag ins are over heads.

Also for Dahbomb, I won a match vs. Beef using IM lol.
Beef on suicide watch. Contemplating quiting Marvel for good.

Good changes all around. Stun Rod overhead would be godlike.

I'd also change Gunfire L's hitbox so that it hits the entire area in front of Chris, so no whiffing point blank.

I'd change Combination Punch M or H to a Boulder Crushing move ala Tron's F+H ( or Charizard in Brawl or Sinanju in Gundam EXVS )

I want to make some changes to his prone so that it's not as sensitive to holding up makes you jump when you just want to go back to neutral.
Haha, I don't know how I forgot that one considering I was bitching about it so much earlier when I was playing with some of my friends. A boulder crushing move would get so many lols out of me. Resident Evil 5 Chris >>>>> every other Chris, I don't give a fuck what anyone says.

Since I already posted my Dante, Trish and Strider changes a while back, I'll just not post them and go for some other characters.

General
I'd like to remove TACs, but since I know that won't happen I'll mainly abstaine from general changes since atm I can't think of a system that wouldn't completely gimp TACs, but also wouldn't keep me hating them. Though I will borrow Dahbomb's throw tech change, and remove the stacking damage/speed scaling of X-Factor.
TACs cost 1 bar and reset hitstun scaling, but no meter gain afterwards. Un-counterable. Easy IMO.

Dr. Strange
  • + Increase start up acceleration of forward and back dashes. Each travel 20% further.
  • + cr.L now hits low
  • + s.L rapid fire capable
  • + Given a three-way airdash. Directions are forward, back and straight down.
  • + Mystic Sword L lower hitbox increased, destroys low and medium durability projectiles during active frames.
  • + Eye of Agamatto now 10 frames x 3 low durability points
  • + Daggers of Denak M fires the discs one after the other instead of at the same time.
These are really fantastic changes. I would also make Mystic Sword like +3 on block instead of +0. He doesn't need the rapid fire s.L, though, because his c.M is already one of the game's best anti-airs.

Arthur
  • Gold Armor break occurs upon getting hit, and now causes a soft-knockdown.
  • + All ground normals are two frames faster(they're stubby, they should have some benefit)
  • + Shield Deflect now counters high, mid and low attacks. Startup changed to 3 frames(from 5).
  • + Cross Sword special cancelable. Projectile remains if Arthur gets hit. Now usable in the air.
  • + Lance Charge startup reduced to 18 frames. Gold Armor reduces it further to 14 frames and destroys low and medium durability projectiles.
  • + Increased hitstun on j.S by three frames.
  • Assist – Heavenly Slash replaced with Scatter Crossbow
Make the armor break after taking 250,000 damage or more. So combos and random hypers will do the trick. Good changes.

Deadpool
  • + Increase hitstun and blockstun on j.L by four frames.
  • + Ninja Gift M hits OTG
  • + Cuttin' Time now scales to a minimum of 50%, up from 40%
  • + Chimichangas window of cancel for Quick Work L changed to frame 20-25
  • + Chimichangas window of cancel for Quick Work M changed to frame 45-50
  • + Chimichangas window of cancel for Quick Work H changed to frame 55-60
  • + Katana-Rama L and M cause soft-knockdown
  • + Fourth Wall Crisis is now 5+0 on startup and can now counter projectiles.
  • Assist - Trigger-Happy H assist changed to an eight shot Trigger-Happy M

Good changes.

Wesker
  • + Rhino Charge returned to vanilla status
  • + Normal counters are now unblockable.
  • +/- Removed glasses buff by using Phantom Dance. Will only buff Wesker if glasses are broken through damage or chip damage.
  • - Phantom Dance follows a set pattern that always tracks a character, keeping them in constant blockstun to avoid the random cross ups.
No way on the unblockable counters, but otherwise good.

Dr. Doom
  • - Universal damage and meter reduction for all normals. (Nothing too severe, generally ranging from 5-10k)
  • - Hidden Missiles as an assist has an additional 10 frames of startup
  • - If Doom is hit during Hidden Missiles, any missiles that have not already begun descending onto a target automatically self-destruct
  • - Plasma Beam(assist) comes out at the point's location(that's a good change, Dahbomb. Wouldn't have thought of it)
Best Hidden Missiles nerf IMO.

Zero

• + Less hitstop for animations, speeding up his combos.
  • - Damage scaling lowered from 20% normals and 30% specials to 15% normals and 15% specials.
  • - Buster canceling Raikousen will immediately remove the lightning from the screen.
Yay on speeding up his combos!

Magneto
  • - Fix guard-cancel glitch with Gravitation moves(not that it sees any use, but I don't think it's intentional)
  • - Increase startup of Disruptor assist by 5 frames.
  • - Magnetic Blast L now has 3 low durability points, down from 5. Magnetic Blast M has 4 low durability points, down from 5. Magnetic Blast H remains the same.
Disruptor is fine - why change it? Unlike most beams, it's very negative on block. I can punish a blocked Disruptor with Chaotic Flame, but I can't do that for any other beam in the game.

Morrigan
  • + Air Soul Drain hits OTG
  • - Astral Vision clone's attack do not build meter, unless it's a Soul Drain.
  • Assist – Soul Fist changed to Soul Drain
  • Assist – All assists now use Shadow Servant for THC

Nothing too drastic here, I think. Astral Vision still builds meter, but doesn't double it with the clone(it does double, right?).
The clone does not build meter. In fact, I have to think about whether to use Astral Vision combos because my opponent builds double meter from getting hit, but I don't.

Hsien-Ko
  • + Her cr.H now hits OTG.
  • + Her s.S has extended horizontal range.
  • + j.S now causes her to descend faster, much like Arthur's j.S(though not as fast)
  • + Henkyo Ki L disappears after 60 frames, Henkyo Ki M disappears after 120 frames, and Henkyo Ki H disappears after 240 frames.
  • + Air Throw and Command Throw untechable knockdown time increased by 30 frames.
  • + cr.M now hits low.
  • + Universal 5 frame startup decrease for Senpu Bu.
  • + Can immediately cancel all versions of Senpu Bu with S. Cancel takes 3 frames.
  • + Anki-Hou now have 5 low durability points. New QCF + S move now always throws bombs that explode on contact with an enemy.
  • + Airdash movement speed increased by 25%. Range increased by 50%.
  • + Walkspeed increased by 10%.
Good changes, but I would just let her throws all lead into full combos. She needs it.
Stuff in bold.

Frantic

Make the armor break after taking 250,000 damage or more. So combos and random hypers will do the trick. Good changes.
Ah, that's a good idea.

No way on the unblockable counters, but otherwise good.
Eh, there needs to be some incentive to use his counters more. Wesker is the only one who can be punished for successfully landing his counters, since they can be blocked and are negative on block. Taskmaster's are throws, and Magneto's is invulnerable until the last recovery frame. Maybe just make it unblockable on the physical counters, since there's more risk to those two.

Disruptor is fine - why change it? Unlike most beams, it's very negative on block. I can punish a blocked Disruptor with Chaotic Flame, but I can't do that for any other beam in the game.
It's only the assist that's been changed. It's to prevent super fast left/rights teleports, mainly.

Good changes, but I would just let her throws all lead into full combos. She needs it.
That's what the increased untechable time is for after her throws. With cr.H hitting OTG, she can now land after her throws, cr.H, and then continue the combo from there.

Frantic

Unblockable counters will allow Wesker to use the opponent's assist to initiate a counter into unblockable.
Hmm... maybe, but at the same time that's even more risky than trying to counter a point character.

There needs to be something better about his counters at least, since the risk greatly out classes the reward.

Ah, that's a good idea.
Thank you.

Eh, there needs to be some incentive to use his counters more. Wesker is the only one who can be punished for successfully landing his counters, since they can be blocked and are negative on block. Taskmaster's are throws, and Magneto's is invulnerable until the last recovery frame. Maybe just make it unblockable on the physical counters, since there's more risk to those two.
Why not just make it like +15 on block? If anyone's counter needs a revision, it's Dr. Strange's...so goddamn bad.

It's only the assist that's been changed. It's to prevent super fast left/rights teleports, mainly.
Is only the assist version being changed, though?

That's what the increased untechable time is for after her throws. With cr.H hitting OTG, she can now land after her throws, cr.H, and then continue the combo from there.
Ah yes, I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Frantic

Why not just make it like +15 on block? If anyone's counter needs a revision, it's Dr. Strange's...so goddamn bad.
I guess making it + on block could help.

As for Strange's, I forgot about it for the list, but it's definitely one that needs an overhaul. I'll probably try to come up with something besides just making the normals count as whiffs.

Is only the assist version being changed, though?
Only the assist. Disruptor is fine where it's at on point. I considered making it the M version so it has slower startup as an assist, but that only opens a new can of worms since it's got more durability.

I guess making it + on block could help.

As for Strange's, I forgot about it for the list, but it's definitely one that needs an overhaul. I'll probably try to come up with something besides just making the normals count as whiffs.
Since Dr. Strange has no inherent way to create space, I think Illusion is the perfect tool to give him. Have it blast the opponent across the screen into a hard knockdown. No follow-ups outside of Spell of Vishanti, but you get a wakeup mix-up if you have the right assists.

Only the assist. Disruptor is fine where it's at on point. I considered making it the M version so it has slower startup as an assist, but that only opens a new can of worms since it's got more durability.
Ah okay, your changelog didn't say "assist only".

Azure J

If I had anything to add to Frantic's Hsien-Ko changelog, I'd want c.H to also be jump cancellable so you have the option of either a jump loop optimized combo or going straight into launcher for whatever else.

onionfrog

If I had anything to add to Frantic's Hsien-Ko changelog, I'd want c.H to also be jump cancellable so you have the option of either a jump loop optimized combo or going straight into launcher for whatever else.
You can go from c.H to f.H, and f.H is jump cancellable.
Some examples of combos using that here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfpY2CCIgcM

I feel like she could use a bit more hitstun on some of her normals though.

Also Anki Hou needs to go back to actually having a pattern. Sure, I know that the way it works right now you could technically infinite someone with it, but it's not worth it at all.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah Cap is pretty dumb but he's sorta different. It's true that Cap can just Charging Star through everything but once he gets in he either has to spend a bar or combo off some beam assist that scales his shit down. The 4 I listed can get in just as easy and maul you easier.

Dahbomb

Good Spider Man players can get in on Hawkeye as well and maintain pressure. Same for good Jill and X23 players. Beyond that Hawkeye owns everyone else.

onionfrog

I can now do combos with 2x acid rain loop in training mode pretty consistently.
I still gotta work on those bold cancels and shot loops though.

Dante players, are there any assists that I can use to easily set up additional acid rain loops in a combo? I've seen that a DHC from Dante to Trish's Round Harvest, then raw tag dante allows for more acid rain.
I think I've seen someone use hulk AA assist to do this too.

I wish I could map atk + S to one button.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Nice thing about playing Doom second to Hawkeye is that I get good damage off a DHC. Well not good but definitely much more than I got with Wesker. Basic ass Hawkeye combo into DHC Sphere Flame does 710k w/o poison damage factored in. I might actually be able to kill now if I get a hit.

Azure J

I can now do combos with 2x acid rain loop in training mode pretty consistently.
I still gotta work on those bold cancels and shot loops though.

Dante players, are there any assists that I can use to easily set up additional acid rain loops in a combo? I've seen that a DHC from Dante to Trish's Round Harvest, then raw tag dante allows for more acid rain.
I think I've seen someone use hulk AA assist to do this too.

I wish I could map atk + S to one button.

Uppercut assists do the job of setting up multiple Acid Rain loops well, although I've never been able to master the timing for them. The idea comes from Solune who would do something like Knockdown - Cold Shower - Assist + Stinger (for the wallbounce) - Bold Canceled Acid Rain. Here's a video.

onionfrog

Uppercut assists do the job of setting up multiple Acid Rain loops well, although I've never been able to master the timing for them. The idea comes from Solune who would do something like Knockdown - Cold Shower - Assist + Stinger (for the wallbounce) - Bold Canceled Acid Rain. Here's a video.
Interesting.. Thanks Azure.
EDIT: Man the timing seems really tight on these.. It's probably not for me.

Dahbomb

Cross posted from the FGW thread, the teams thus far for Curleh Mustache Battle Royale (aka the most hype Marvel exhibition of the year thus far):

Team Latin America
Neo Karsh
Taekua
Frutsy
KaneBlueriver
Yahiko

Team NorCal
Filipino Champ
CJ Showstopper
Neo
PR Balrog
ShadyK (?)

Team SoCal
Justin Wong
Fanatiq
Knives
Clockwork
Angelic

Team NYC
IFC Yipes
NYChrisG
RayRay
Noel Brown
MOONS

Team Georgia
Roach King
TooMuchDamage
Darius
Sammy
Some Brown Kid

Team Mid-Atlantic
DJ Huoshen
Unkn0wn
Meep
PZPoy
RyRy (?)

Team Midwest
OmG iTz Andre
FrankieG
Zeus
Footwurk
JDM

Team Japan (LOL)
Abegen
NerdJosh
VX
Xian
Antman

It's going to be hard to get the full 16 teams but 8 teams work too IMO.

Frantic

Isn't MarlinPie on team Japan? Or is he not able to make it out?

Wonder if a team Florida or a team Texas will be made.

AzureJericho said:
Fucking tech roll + lariat man... How do you sleep well at night? :p
Just back off and start throwing projectiles man. Just assume they're going to call/wake up with Lariat every single time.

Zissou

Anybody have tips against Vergil backed by vajra? (I use Doom/Dante/Strider). That duo has me pulling my hair out. Against teleport mix-up shenanigans involving horizontal projectile assists, I can just not be in the horizontal area of the assist. With vajra, that out isn't available to me.

Azure J

Just back off and start throwing projectiles man. Just assume they're going to call/wake up with Lariat every single time.

The thing is, I do this and then that one time I'm thinking the strategy's adjusted, is the one time that leads to a complete reversal of momentum. This actually happens with all of the assists that start things from a tech roll actually (Tatsu, Cart, Lariatoooo). I just expect that something will change on try 9 out of ten and then the game is over. :lol

Top Bottom