• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U System Update Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Update downloaded well and truly fast enough for once.

my update went fine.. and it installed just fine.

but now, no internet connection :(

i hope my LAN connector did not go bad while i was out tonight :/

VanWinkle

Got the update installed. Seems a little faster but I was hoping it would be better. It's a start, though.

On the plus side, the Rayman Challenge game thing is AWESOME.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hereby I confirm that unplugging of a locked-up WiiU from the power outlet is no longer required.

Has any one tried what happens when you accidentally eject a disk during gameplay? I remember the solution was pretty basic.

Downloading now, 1h54m to go.

NickMitch

Just woke up to find my god damn internet being down, not just my wiiU but the entire connection. Using my phone to post this now. Its fekkin unbelievable.....

Spike

I guess I shouldn't expect people to read the OP 71 pages in, huh? :p

Absolutely you should, and I did read it, it is a very good OP.

It's my fault really, because I didn't instantly realize that the screen size setting would affect everything once it was placed under the system settings.

I'm just happy to get the full view on my 32" Wega.

Robin64

Eh? America has pages for all of the VC launch games that are coming.

Haha, yeah, this is Europe. Our eShop team rarely update the front page before files get uploaded. They are not amazing (and also it's only just time now for everyone to be waking up again)

blu

I guess I shouldn't expect people to read the OP 71 pages in, huh? :p
Headsup to the OP: long hold of the power button now shuts down the system even when frozen.

blu

So I guess the freezes have not been fixed?
I got the same freeze at home-button press in NFS as before. I haven't tested for freezes in any of the other games I have (not that I did it deliberately in NFS ; )

I got the same freeze at home-button press in NFS as before. I haven't tested for freezes in any of the other games I have (not that I did it deliberately in NFS ; )

I wonder how many of the freezing problems are down to issues with the games/apps themselves that require patching.

blu

I wonder how many of the freezing problems are down to issues with the games/apps themselves that require patching.
We may never know. But my gut feeling tells me nintendo might have what to improve on their tcp stack - every single freeze I've had in the system so far has either been directly related to online activities, or has been unreproducible while the system's been offline.

Came back this morning and the wiiu was still locked up at the same spot it was last night. Reset the router and unplugged everything that isn't the wiiu. Will try it again before work after work ill contact Nintendo and figure out what to do

We may never know. But my gut feeling tells me nintendo might have what to improve on their tcp stack - every single freeze I've had in the system so far has either been directly related to online activities, or has been unreproducible while the system's been offline.

That's interesting. The only freeze I've encountered so far - touch wood - was in Zombi U. The game is split into discrete areas - Spitalfields, Buckingham Palace etc. - but within each area the game seems to be streaming the next subsection as you move through the level. You can "break" the streaming by sprinting through an area, so that when you arrive at a closed door the game will stall forcing the player to wait for the door to open while it loads the following section.

The one freeze I had was when I did just that, and the game locked up when the "loading" text popped up while I was waiting for the door to open.

I got the same freeze / crash thing right after it applied the system update. And am I the only one who thinks this thing is still slow doggone slow? It still takes a good 10-15 seconds to go into the system settings...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It took me 15 minutes to download the update. If it's really ~600MB, that would have taken me almost 2-3 days in the 90s.
Early 2000s it took me about 10 minutes for 1MB so I would have had to camp out for it. Not even taking into account it was PAYG.

I wish my speeds back then were like his apparent 90s.

I got the same freeze / crash thing right after it applied the system update. And am I the only one who thinks this thing is still slow doggone slow? It still takes a good 10-15 seconds to go into the system settings...
Well this is stage one of speeding the system up. These arn't the final speeds that we'll be stuck with for the rest of the console's life. And honestly do you go into the settings that often?

My gamepad failed to update during the larger system update. Error: 199-9999

After an automatic restart it resumed the process from 80% and completed just fine.

Robin64

Okay we have the same as America but also Mario's Super Picross. It's the same price as the other SNES titles this time, where Hanabi Festival games were a bit more expensive previously on Wii.

javac

So the operating system is actually fast now?

Yeah, some things still need improving such as going in and out of the main system settings but tbh that's the kinda think you'd go into once when setting the system up for the first time and then never touch unless you have Wi-Fi issues or something.

The OS isnt instantaneous but in regards to a console OS its pretty fast. Phase one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom