• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

one_kill

I'm confused with all the posts regarding Fanatiq and an AGE panel (those Twitter convos are hard to get sometimes). Can anyone update me on what's going on?

I'm confused with all the posts regarding Fanatiq and an AGE panel (those Twitter convos are hard to get sometimes). Can anyone update me on what's going on?

There was apparently going to be an AGE panel at UFGT, but it got cancelled. Fanatiq claimed he had no knowledge of the cancellation and wasn't informed, but then Keits showed the receipts mentioned the texts that backed him up. Then Fanatiq tried to cry about not being able to pre-reg (for once in his life), and Keits layed the smackdown again by mentioning that most tournaments have cut-off dates for pre-reg.

It was basically Fanatiq getting shut down over and over again. Also, he blocked me on Twitter.

kirblar

There was apparently going to be an AGE panel at UFGT, but it got cancelled. Fanatiq claimed he had no knowledge of the cancellation and wasn't informed, but then Keits showed the receipts mentioned the texts that backed him up. Then Fanatiq tried to cry about not being able to pre-reg (for once in his life), and Keits layed the smackdown again by mentioning that most tournaments have cut-off dates for pre-reg.

It was basically Fanatiq getting shut down over and over again. Also, he blocked me on Twitter.
Don't worry, you've gained a follower in the process!

Divekick is quite interesting to me at this stage. Every time I see a new character they look broken. Then as the stream rolls on their weaknesses become clearer and clearer.

The question is, how much balance is there going to be? I'm thinking it might end up extremely match up heavy which could make for some interesting dynamics.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Valle messes with Giorgio by Moroder. Respect.

Side note: I've had Valle playing Injustice on in the background for like the past 3+ hours and he's a lot funnier than I thought.

one_kill

Thanks Beef :)

I went to my locals tonight, and I did nothing for the first hour because no one had goddamn Shuma-Gorath. So I decided to make the best of my time, and I learned how to play P4A. It's a fun game. I'm sure you all know who I picked.
Elizabeth.

Had fun when I played Marvel later after some more setups were created.

Wallach

Was posting over on an e-cig forum for someone asking about where to find a particular flavor... guy had a C. Viper avatar, realized it was Drew Grimey. He's talking about trying DIY e-juice... RIP in peace Drew Grimey.

Orioto has a one week only SF2 print
tumblr_mn3walAyVf1qdq8qno4_1280.jpg

one_kill

After his second place victory in KOF13 last year, Bala has locked himself inside the hyperbolic time chamber. He is striving for number 1 this year.

Keits

Developer
So sad to see a "top player" lash out against my event because my policies are not top player biased. Even more sad that he thinks anyone gives a shit.

BadWolf

Isn't Bala currently banned from the US due to Visa issues?

Yeah, Spooky mentioned this. He overstayed his visa one too many times apparently.

Dark Geese also said there is pretty much no chance of him showing up at Evo this year.

Still, Koopa (easily beat bala in a FT10) and Kula (destroyed Koopa in a FT20) will be at Evo so Mexico still has a good shot, not to mention there is Romance and others.

Keits

Developer
I'll type the whole story here. I need to get it out. If needed I can and will supply photos of the text messages he sent, but I will be quoting them directly. Keep in mind this whole time that not two months ago I would have called Fanatiq a friend. We'd had many conversations outside the FGC and got along amazingly well. I've defending him when people were calling him a scumbag behind his back, and I now regret doing so, as I was wrong.

I work alongside a guy named Rick. He is my right hand man on UFGT this year and is the panel director. He wanted to set up an AGE player panel, so he spoke with OneHandedTerror (aka Sebastian, their manager) and Fanatiq at NCR. Everyone was agreeable.

On May 8th, I emailed Rick and Loren saying;

Loren, I think Rick spoke with you about AGE doing a panel at UFGT9.

I've copied him on this email to try to figure out what is going on. Please respond.

Fanatiq replies;

I told him we're 100% down to do the panel.

Rick replies;

We just need a confirmation of which players are attending so I know who to advertise.

Fanatiq replies;

Knives, Me, Snake Eyez, Chris G, Flash metroid, Wolfkrone and Saber I believe.

He does not reply again to this email thread. Seems like things are in order, so we move forward.

On May 10th, at 2:35pm, Fanatiq texts my phone directly saying;

Hey Knives cant make it til later friday. Can he be assigned to a later pool?

I replied saying'

I cant do that. Its going to be random he will have to hope for the best.

Fanatiq replied;

Is the entire thing unseeded?

I replied;

We seed by region and past performance. We do not give preferential pool placement to anyone. Even asking me to do so in unfair

Fanatiq replied;

Wooow... Looks like we'll be passing on ect then. Thats unreasonable.

I am forced to assume that he meant UFGT and not ECT, as I'm pretty sure he knew who he was talking to. What is actually unreasonable is to think that because of who you are, you get to bend the rules. The tournament starts Friday at 1pm. Everyone is not only responsible for knowing that, but for being there. If we make exceptions for one person because they cant make it friday, we have to do so for every player, in the name of fairness and equal treatment. Also, Fanatiq is threatening me here. They have a panel, and I must assume that he thinks telling me that they wont come will get me to bend for him. He is wrong.

Fanatiq then tweets this https://twitter.com/MrFanatiq/status/333059250815381504 ;

Now that I know what the system is for UFGT. Chances of matches being thrown are pretty high.

This is fairly upsetting, so I contact Sebastian, his manager. I link him the tweet and say

I don't know what this is about, but it is unacceptable. I want you to know that I will come down very very hard on anyone messing with the integrity of my event.
Today, Fanatiq texted me asked for preferential pool placement for Knives, who would not be in on time for UFGT. I said no. We do not give preferential placement to any player, as it would be totally unfair to everyone else playing by the rules. If I let one person ask for a preferential time, I have to give it to all players.
I'm quite upset about this, and sorry to have this be our first interaction.

He replies;

ugh. Not sure what this is about. I'll investigate and get back to you tomorrow. I'm sorry about this.

Sebastian and I have a short conversation which he starts by first saying he understands where Fanatiq is coming from, but that his approach and reaction were not the best way he could have handled this. He then asks if pools have been formed and what pool Knives is in.

I can't explain how funny that question is, being that neither Fanatiq nor Knives have registered at that point, and the date on that email is May 13th. Registration doesn't close until the 19th. I think its obvious that if I make pools on the 13th, im going to have to heavily restructure them on the 19th when I actually have all the registration data. I inform Sebastian of this.

The pools will not be set until May 20th, as registration will not be complete until then. We cannot give preferential pool placement to anyone, so if Knives needs a later one he will have to rely on luck, as our sorting algorithm fairly does all of the work for us. I'm sure you understand that if I make an exception for one person, I'm forced to do the same for everyone, which would obviously lead to literally everyone requesting saturday pools.

Any word on Fanatiq and his throwing matches comment? I'm still pretty upset about that.

Sebastian replies, very kindly as always;

Yes, I understand the situation and appreciate the fairness of a no preferential treatment policy. Yeah, I talked to him and he certainly won’t throw matches. He was just heated and not thinking before typing. I’ve explained that Fanatiq he is an important figure head of AGE and that throwing matches will really stain our reputation. I can guarantee that he will not throw any matches during UFGT.

I reply;

Thank you. I think Fanatiq owes me and everyone involved in making UFGT happen an apology at this point. Unfortunately I can't help Knives out, so you might just want to have him skip this one.

Sebastian replies;

I’ll talk to Fanatiq about the apology. Knives was talking to me about buying a player’s spot in a Saturday pool if someone does not show. Is that a procedure that is done or acceptable? I’m only asking because I’m uninformed about something like that.

Innocent enough, but I let him know;

That is not acceptable. That counts as manipulation of our brackets. I understand that he wants to play, but we did give 10 months notice of the dates and the fact that this is a full 3 day event.

Sebastian thanks me and the conversation ends.

Fast forward to May 20th, yesterday, at 1:55pm (all times are CST btw). Fanatiq texts my phone directly again. Mind you, he still has not registered for UFGT9, registration has been closed for about 14 hours now, and we can all now confirm that he knew he was coming at least 12 days prior.

We'd like to focus on performance so we will not be able to do the panel at ufgt.

I don't reply to Fanatiq for two reasons. 1.) last time I did it was insanely insulting and frustrating, and 2.) who knows if he is talking mess or if AGE is really willing to pull out of their panel just five days before my event. I contact Sebastian once again, as I trust that he is level headed enough to give me the real story.

Sebastian informs me that he, personally, cannot make UFGT and that he just found out today (which was yesterday), so they are going to have to cancel the panel. He told me that planning around some E3 related issues have caused him to need to cancel his trip. He does offer that we can still hold the panel without him and just with the players if we wish, and apologizes for the inconvenience.

This is massively confusing, because it doesn't totally line up with what Fanatiq just told me (SHOCKER I KNOW RIGHT?) After some discussion with Rick, we let Sebastion know;

Sebastian;

Based on you no longer coming and Fanatiq's general level of disinterest and disrespect toward the event, we are worried about the quality level of the proposed panel. We are going to use one of our backup plans and perhaps we can discuss this again next year.

Sebastian agrees;

Yes, that is understandable. I hope everything goes well at UFGT. Hopefully we can meet at EVO.

Take care.

Rick and I start exploring our backup options. In the next hour we are able to lock down Perfect Legend and Tom Brady to talk about testing Injustice and being a top non-Capcom player. We make the announcement on the http://ufgt.us/ website and on twitter.

Fanatiq tweets https://twitter.com/MrFanatiq/status/336637682979594240 ;

Honestly, some tournaments are not important enough to be 3 day events... but you can never tell them that.

You just did, pal. Passive aggressive tweet is obviously directed at me. To be clear, we are not a 3 day event because we think we are "important". We are a 3 day event because we think we are running something really fun that doesn't fit into 2 days. I going to let this tweet go, though, and be done with this drama.

Fanatiq doesnt want this to stop, however, and tweets in reply to our panel replacement announcement https://twitter.com/MrFanatiq/status/336642230863425537 ;

That's interesting. You've not made any attempts to speak to me.

I hope you read this bro, but why the fuck would I want to talk to you after you've treated me and my event this way? You were the one who initiated the cancelation of the panel in the first place. Thats when I started typing what I could fit from this story onto twitter and letting people know that Fanatiq is, as usual, lying to them.

He leaves another passive aggressive tweet, one of the most hilarous ones of the series. https://twitter.com/MrFanatiq/status/336642956880662529

Who closes all online registration 5 days before a tournament?

Oh, I don't know Fanatiq, how about every single major event in the United States? I checked. EVO, NCR, SCR, ECT, NEC, FR, and UFGT all close online pre-reg between 5 and 14 days of the tournament. Also, Fanatiq, who cancels their panel at a "friend's" event 5 days before the event?

Fanatiq informs me that its okay for those tournaments to do so because they allow "non tentative at the door registration".

I let him know that UFGT does as well (not that he'd know. He didnt ask me and he has never been.)

He quotes my website which says that you can only emergency register for games that have available byes. While this is true, we work very hard using the power of MATH to ensure that our risk of actually capping a bracket is zero. We have never had to turn anyone away from emergency registration. Ever.

Now the truth is out there and Fanatiq is desperately trying to make himself look like the victim. He even says the most insulting thing I've read this year. https://twitter.com/MrFanatiq/status/336650585489162240

Friends talk to friends and don't go directly to their sponsor without any attempts to talk to the player.

Its adorable that he thinks we are friends at this point after the way he has treated me. I let him know that Friends dont cut down their friend's hard work and events simply because didnt get their way, and that we are most definitely not friends. In case Sebastian never told him, I let Fanatiq know that he now owes me many apologies and that he should not speak to me until he is ready to give them.

He continues speaking to and about me, of course. Now he is trying to sway people into thinking that he and other top players "disagree with some of (my) practices."

He never mentions which practices, but whats to disagree with? Don't like deeper payouts that are still top heavy? Don't like that we treat all players by the same rules, and will disqualify you if you are late? Don't like that we have clear rules about collusion and that its obvious the guy in charge will enact them as needed?

Thats the end of the story.

UFGT is growing very rapidly. I think our reputation for being fair and on time speaks for itself, and the vast majority of players want to be a part of that. If certain top players don't like it, they are more than welcome to stay home. The fighting game community is filled with amazing, kind, supportive people. And it also has this guy. I'm too old for this shit.

Top Bottom