• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

Honestly if Yasuhara is working on this, this would highly likely debunk the claims of the game being mutiplatform previously, at least not if it started after April 2012 when he joined NST. I would think our "insider" would've seen this multiplatform build later than that, so yeah, likely not.

beril

It could also be part of the Mario & Sonic agreement or because of a favourable publishing agreement, but it's quite obvious Sega didn't do this because they thought "Let's make Sonic exclusive for a while". Even when the super-successful Wii was available and the shitty SD version of Unleashed outsold the PS360 versions, Sega still decided to release Generations only for PS360. If there ever was a point in time where it would have been an obvious decision to make Sonic Nintendo exclusive it was the Wii-generation. Still, Nintendo might have gotten this cheap, if Sonic & All-Stars Racing transformed manages to outsell the PS3 and 360 versions on an abysmally low install base.

That's basically what I'm thinking. The Mario&Sonic games are some Segas most successful games ever, so it should give Nintendo quite some negotiation clout. And even without that, stranger things have happened before without moneyhats

Ferr986

Honestly if Yasuhara is working on this, this would highly likely debunk the claims of the game being mutiplatform previously, at least not if it started after April 2012 when he joined NST. I would think our "insider" would've seen this multiplatform build later than that, so yeah, likely not.

Not claiming he was correct, but we dont have anything that guides us to think Yasuhara is working on it.

Sega didnt even say anything about this game being a development collab with Nintendo

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
But there's no indication that Yasuhara is working on this, is there?

DaBoss

I don't believe that BeardyChan guy because he kept on mentioning gimmicky controls and stuff when it is confirmed that is only relegated to Wisps.

Yoshi

I don't think there is any evidence in that. While some Sonic fans might think of Sonic X-treme, I'm quite sure that Mario Galaxy is the real inspiration at work here. Which is fine, because the Mario Galaxy games are the best 3D games ever conceived. I'm glad that this game doesn't feel too much like Sonic X-treme, especially considering the absurdly low speed in X-treme.

ThaGuy

Was going to cut together all the gameplay into a gif, but that would be stupid huge. So here's a pure gameplay gif sample.

iNZMK3r3dGdYy.gif

Nice gameplay pics EC.

& I can see myself playing this. All I need is more details and that should happen around E3.

Azure J

Officially no, but I feel there is evidence in the footage and timing. It's also too coincidental that this is so X-Treme like when that was Yasuhara's only 3D Sonic involvement prior to leaving (not counting Sonic R). He officially did level concepts for the game:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_X-treme_concept_art#Hirokazu_Yasuhara_Concept_Art

Literally the first image on this page screams that Lost World is some form of spiritual revival of this concept. The interconnected shapes being used to visually display zones was clearly a big deal there.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I don't believe that BeardyChan guy because he kept on mentioning gimmicky controls and stuff when it is confirmed that is only relegated to Wisps.
He had me at 'Cheap deaths due to hardware limitations. Or at least they told me so'.

Maztorre

It could also be part of the Mario & Sonic agreement or because of a favourable publishing agreement, but it's quite obvious Sega didn't do this because they thought "Let's make Sonic exclusive for a while". Even when the super-successful Wii was available and the shitty SD version of Unleashed outsold the PS360 versions, Sega still decided to release Generations only for PS360. If there ever was a point in time where it would have been an obvious decision to make Sonic Nintendo exclusive it was the Wii-generation. Still, Nintendo might have gotten this cheap, if Sonic & All-Stars Racing transformed manages to outsell the PS3 and 360 versions on an abysmally low install base.

The reason for the exclusives is because Sega does not do non-PC boxed retail without a distributor anymore (in Europe at least). Sega Europe have transitioned completely out of boxed console games (Sonic Transformed, similar to Anarchy Reigns, would have been one of the last games in development back when Sega restructured around digital+PC+Sonic as their future). Therefore, Sega need a partner for future boxed console releases. This is primarily why Sega cancelled Bayonetta 2 until Nintendo stepped in, and why Sega have a 3-game agreement with Nintendo for Sonic from the outset. They are capable of developing titles but obviously don't want to sink massive costs into advertising the way AAA publishers do without a partner.

I don't think these are pure moneyhats, and I don't think Nintendo are co-developing, rather that Sega aren't willing to fund any non-digital or non-PC retail titles without a distribution partner to assist. Similarly, I think Tecmo-Koei or Bamco will partner up with Sega for distribution of any retail releases of Virtua Fighter.

On-topic: this game is fucking gorgeous, and really encouraging that we are getting actual platforming instead of another game where any 3D sections are centred around boosting.

Any kind soul with IGN Prime able to upload the 720p video via Mediafire please? :)

Also last page I found evidence pointing to Naoto Ohshima being back to design the bosses (and likely the badniks), I'm not kidding, look at the resemblance to AWAY Shuffle Dungeon. o_O

(The yellow Guardian)

in7gsKR2ABENI.jpg

iKab2eiCyF8sJ.png

I have to say, this is the first Sonic game that has me genuinely interested. It seems they finally got rid of all the useless lipstick they put on the corpse that were the 3D sonic games.
Cut the fat, focus on gameplay, know your audience.

Shame it's exclusive. Will probably limit it's sale potential severely.

I don't know about that. Given the lackluster performance of Sonic Generations on the 360/PS3 and the great sales of Sonic Colors on the Wii, it makes a lot of sense to focus on the one system where you're going to receive a good bulk of your sales.

I wonder what we'll get from Sega today, I guess it'll be renders and a PR, hopefully with a few more screens.

Also I expect it at 11AM EST, that's when the Direct happened and when we got the silhouettes.

Xun

The fact the game isn't on autopilot intrigues me greatly.

I think this could potentially be something special.

Klyka

Banned
As good as the gameplay looks, jesus it is definitely not even close to generations when it comes to graphics. such a disappointment

The reason for the exclusives is because Sega does not do non-PC boxed retail without a distributor anymore (in Europe at least). Sega Europe have transitioned completely out of boxed console games (Sonic Transformed, similar to Anarchy Reigns, would have been one of the last games in development back when Sega restructured around digital+PC+Sonic as their future). Therefore, Sega need a partner for future boxed console releases. This is primarily why Sega cancelled Bayonetta 2 until Nintendo stepped in, and why Sega have a 3-game agreement with Nintendo for Sonic from the outset. They are capable of developing titles but obviously don't want to sink massive costs into advertising the way AAA publishers do without a partner.

I don't think these are pure moneyhats, and I don't think Nintendo are co-developing, rather that Sega aren't willing to fund any non-digital or non-PC retail titles without a distribution partner to assist. Similarly, I think Tecmo-Koei or Bamco will partner up with Sega for distribution of any retail releases of Virtua Fighter.

On-topic: this game is fucking gorgeous, and really encouraging that we are getting actual platforming instead of another game where any 3D sections are centred around boosting.
Interesting.

AF_Writer

Banned
tiBUZgc.jpg

I understand this doesn't bother most people, but the lack of a colon in the title of Sonic: Lost World drives me crazy. SEGA and other game companies routinely throw punctuation and grammar to the wind, but I think Lost World definitely needs the colon.

Sacul64

Banned
So does she even like Sonic 06 or Black Knight? Because this is my bar for blind, non-trustworthy Sonic-Fan.

I went back to play my old files in Secret Rings and Black Knight a year or so ago. I found Secret Rings to be unplayable with my character. I could at least play BK so despite its problems I would rank it above SR for that alone.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Three quick things about the insider stuff.

Firstly, I don't believe Beardy, but call it skepticism of the attitude, junior status, vagueness, etc.

Secondly, TRiPPY postings a while ago is legit. She was a SEGA community manager until last January for several years and a known SEGA diehard and NiGHTS fans, who runs the biggest NiGHTS fan site on the internet.

Thirdly, no reason to jump the gun about anything yet. The game will be playable at E3 confirmed, so you can expect a lot more impressions and gameplay videos there. Hell, I'll try my best to take a video and leave some in-depth impressions around then.

Firstly, I don't believe Beardy, but call it skepticism of the attitude, junior status, vagueness, etc.

Secondly, TRiPPY postings a while ago is legit. She was a SEGA community manager until last January for several years and a known SEGA diehard and NiGHTS fans, who runs the biggest NiGHTS fan site on the internet.

Thirdly, no reason to jump the gun about anything yet. The game will be playable at E3 confirmed, so you can expect a lot more impressions and gameplay videos there. Hell, I'll try my best to take a video and leave some in-depth impressions around then.

What did TRiPPY say?

Eric C

Officially no, but I feel there is evidence in the footage and timing. It's also too coincidental that this is so X-Treme like when that was Yasuhara's only 3D Sonic involvement prior to leaving (not counting Sonic R). He officially did level concepts for the game:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_X-treme_concept_art#Hirokazu_Yasuhara_Concept_Art

Literally the first image on this page screams that Lost World is some form of spiritual revival of this concept. The interconnected shapes being used to visually display zones was clearly a big deal there.

Yeah, if Hirokazu Yasuhara is working on Sonic Lost Worlds. I'd say the Sonic Xtreme influence is not just coincidental it'd be 100% intentional. I'd even say the "Lost Worlds" name would be a small reference to Xtreme, AKA the lost Sonic game.

Also, the Lost World villains REALLY remind me of Pac Man Party villains, another game Hirokazu Yasuhara was involved with.

I have... mixed feelings.

There looks to be some platformy bits, but it still looks like a 'just go forward/hold direction to win' overal game.

Reserving judgement until we get some proper gameplay videos.

The art looks amazing though

Edit: Actually after re-watching the trailer, the world does seem explorable, but the way they put the trailer together just shows Sonic moving fast so it gives off the wrong impression to me. Should be interesting to see at E3.

daakusedo

If that sonic game makes people cheer up, what about the next Mario!
Paradoxically it comes from sonic freeing itself from somewhat coherent world and story to focus on pure level design and then you read a lot how that galaxy formula should be dropped for next Mario and come back to 64.

Sacul64

Banned

Posted this cause I think the sonic Xtreme connections were shrugged off to easily in lue of Galaxy ones.

"The Sonic Xtreme comparisons are more then just coincidence. Look at this footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yUbMqe8qYr0#t=98s

the effect here is identical to the one in the trailer talked about at 3:19 of this video. Not saying that the success of Galaxy did not help this idea come to be, but Sega is defiantly making a call back. There are also screens of Xtreme that show fully rounded pipe areas, and even the special stages in Kuckles Chaotix act like this. Sega had done gamplay like this before Galaxy."

WillyFive

Posted this cause I think the sonic Xtreme connections were shrugged off to easily in lue of Galaxy ones.

Yeah, this game really has next to nothing to do with Mario Galaxy. Since players are more familiar with Galaxy than X-Treme, they associate it with Mario more than the Saturn game, despite Lost World seeming to be a near exact copy of X-Treme with modern hardware.

Seda

iSLtbBL.jpg

Sega Blog said:
“We are proud of the strong relationship between Nintendo and SEGA and look forward to continuing success with Sonic Lost World on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS,” commented Hiroyuki Miyazaki, Chief Content Officer, SEGA of America. “The game marks an evolution of the Sonic series and fans –both old and new — will be excited by a story which sees two of video games biggest adversaries, Sonic and Dr. Eggman, joining forces for the first time to help defeat a new deadly threat.”

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/05/29/rise-against-the-deadly-six-in-sonic-lost-world/

PR said:
29th May 2013 – Following on from last week’s Nintendo Direct video announcement in which details of a worldwide partnership between SEGA & Nintendo were announced, Nintendo of Europe today reveals additional details of the second title to be published exclusively on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS as part of the three title deal. Sonic Lost World sees Sonic face his most powerful enemy to date – and this time there are six of them. Sonic Lost World will be available exclusively for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS later this year.

Dr. Eggman has harnessed the power of six menacing creatures known as the Deadly Six, but when the Deadly Six rise up against their master, Sonic has to unite with his arch nemesis in order to take on the new enemies head-to-head. Using his dynamic new parkour moves and improved Colour Powers, Sonic must run, jump and race through a variety of ever changing terrains in order to defeat the Deadly Six.

Alongside a single player adventure, the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions of Sonic Lost World will feature a range of competitive multiplayer modes. In addition each platform will also contain unique features that take advantage of the consoles capabilities. Exclusive Wii U Colour Powers can be controlled with the Wii U GamePad by tilting, touching, aiming and more. The full game can also be played using only the Wii U GamePad screen and will feature a two player support mode. Sonic Lost World for the Nintendo 3DS is the first handheld Sonic game ever to feature fully realised 3D levels which include exclusive Special Stages and Colour Powers unique to the Nintendo 3DS system.

Sonic the Hedgehog first appeared as a videogame character in June 1991 and instantly became an icon for a generation of gamers. Defined by his super-fast speed and cool attitude, in the years since he first raced on to videogame consoles. Sonic Lost World will be distributed by Nintendo of Europe throughout Europe and Australia when it launches later this year.

“The game marks an evolution of the Sonic series and fans –both old and new — will be excited by a story which sees two of video games biggest adversaries, Sonic and Dr. Eggman, joining forces for the first time to help defeat a new deadly threat.”

FUCK YES

I think

Yoshi

Has TRiPPY ever commented on Sonic 2006 or Sonic & the Black Knight? Because I think these are the right games to see if her opinions are to be considered (there are Sonic fans who love these games....).

EDIT: Why does the press release again not state if the 3DS game is the same game or not :/?

Sacul64

Banned
Dr. Eggman has harnessed the power of six menacing creatures known as the Deadly Six, but when the Deadly Six rise up against their master, Sonic has to unite with his arch nemesis in order to take on the new enemies head-to-head. Using his dynamic new parkour moves and improved Colour Powers, Sonic must run, jump and race through a variety of ever changing terrains in order to defeat the Deadly Six.

Plot twist Eggman betrayed at start of the game by god character, teams up with Sonic will end up being the final boss after betraying Sonic at the end.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Off TV confirmed. Exclusive 3DS levels and Colour powers. Two megatons in just one PR!

Top Bottom