• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak, All Info In OP)

Grief.exe

What IS the cloud?

Dedicated Servers run Linux or Windows.

I used the Battlefield 3 example earlier.

A player shoots a rocket at a wall, the servers calculate the damage to the wall, and then transmit that data to the clients. Not difficult, been doing that for years.

This is what Microsoft describes as the 'Infinite Power of the Cloud™'

mbmonk

Interesting... wasnt' it just weeks ago that many gaffers were saying the "cloud computing" was just fictional PR BS???

"Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations"

seems to be pretty real... and dare I say... a bit of secret sauce?

You could dare to say it, but dedicated servers have been around since Quake. It's hardly a secret and not exclusive to the Xbone sauce.

Rad-

So what they're saying is PS4 is going to get a superior version 6 months-1 year later.

Could be but effect wise this gen showed that timed exclusives worked pretty much like exclusives. Hype usually dies down 1 year later. Only few cases where it didn't, like Minecraft.

Bsigg12

So it is not coming on the PS4 because this game is not possible w/o the cloud power...umm..ok...oh but its coming on the 360 then...hmmm ... yeah sounds more like a money hat exclusive...nothing wrong with that though

You act as if they won't be able to make cloud services work on select games on the 360. It's all just networking, nothing done inside the system. But, yes it is a money hat.

Mrbob

Don't get too tied up in the cloud talk. Be happy about the dedicated servers, though!

A player shoots a rocket at a wall, the servers calculate the damage to the wall, and then transmit that data to the clients. Not difficult, been doing that for years.

Ding ding ding.

Microsoft already busting out them fireworks.

And there were so many that thought Microsoft wouldn't go for the first installments of the promising new franchises.

The firstworks are gonna explode and burn out pretty fast I presume. From the way they are talking this has the words "Timed exclusive" written all over it.

If it actually makes Spring 2014, then I suspect it will be a 6 month exclusive deal and be on PS4 by the winter of that year.

Moobabe

Ah I see - so... it's marketing buzz?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yes.

Though this generation most developers used peer to peer, which meant one of the Xboxes/PlayStations was hosting the game, limiting how much they could feasibly run.

EA and sometimes Sony were a few of the exceptions.

So what they're saying is PS4 is going to get a superior version 6 months-1 year later.

Timed exclusives...

Before they launch "I'll wait for the superior version", after they launch "Of course it didn't do well, who's gonna buy an old game full price??!?!"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What IS the cloud?

A general term for internet resources at a distance. It can be used to refer to storage, or to processing. In this context, Microsoft has a platform for developing applications that use the processing power of their servers, called Azure. Amazon has one called EC2. Basically devs and pubs have access to a bunch of processing power in a Microsoft server farm which they can use to process stuff for their games. But there are limits in what distributed (another word for "cloud") processing can do because of latency/lag.

Timed exclusives...

Before they launch "I'll wait for the superior version", after they launch "Of course it didn't do well, who's gonna buy an old game full price??!?!"

Yeah, definitely a timed exclusive, but you don't need to wait for the "Superior version". You can get it for PC Day 1 like me!

they meant with another game, not this one... could also mean a sequel

You're in their head reading their intentions now?

All they said was that it was on the x1 and PC and they are open to other platforms in the future. Reading any more, or any less, into that would be foolish.

Not gonna gloat about leaking this a while ago after all of the people last night saying "famousmortimer isn't a legit source."

Im totally gloating

SpaceNun

Banned
The firstworks are gonna explode and burn out pretty fast I presume. From the way they are talking this has the words "Timed exclusive" written all over it.

If it actually makes Spring 2014, then I suspect it will be a 6 month exclusive deal and be on PS4 by the winter of that year.

Yeah, people with fireworks and shit. HILARIOUS. Okay, guys, cool the fuck down now nothing happened. It looks like.... a decent game. OH MY OH NOES!

rac

Banned
It's pretty sad that it has come to a point where COD isn't considered newbie friendly enough.

Is that something the devs said or the interviewer inferred? I don't think I would want to play a mech game where you die in 2-3 bullets.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've been waiting for info about this for a long time!
Info released so far sounds extremely impressive and this has now gone to the top of my most anticipated list!

This game alone is maybe not enough to convince me to get X1 but it's def a step in the right direction. Two or three big exclusives that sound as exciting as this and I'll be forced to purchace.

AndyD

aka andydumi
thought it was 3rd person Lost Planet clone with SoTC elements. I guess shouldnt expect anything less from MS :/

This would be fantastic. Really giant mechs and small groups of players working together to defeat them.

Klocker

Cloud is a term they use to allow the masses to understand what it is... the actual dedicated servers that are being built and the software for devs to use to run some AI and physics on the servers while hosting dedicated game worlds is not often done on consoles...

MS is gambling that investing bigin this technology full scale for all Xbox One games will payoff for years to come with better games if devs use it

Raide

Cloud BS or not, it is certainly an interesting premiss. Mech and human combat mixed together could be awesome. Also the lager scale battles should split them apart from just making another CoD game.

Has to be at the MS E3 event right?

miso_Jeff

Banned
Xbox One and PC. With a 360 version being developed by someone else. Game uses cloud a bunch apparently.

So... would the PC version be the lesser version since it doesn't have the "cloud"? Or is the PC version the bench mark and the X1 needs the cloud to achive that PC performance? They did say that this game would not be possible without the cloud.

Gumbie

Microsoft's Azure cloud infrastructure also has the ability to use super computing clusters. A whole bunch of computer processors working together is a lot different than just saying it's dedicated servers.

Klocker

All they said was that it was on the x1 and PC and they are open to other platforms in the future. Reading any more, or any less, into that would be foolish.

Not gonna gloat about leaking this a while ago after all of the people last night saying "famousmortimer isn't a legit source."

Im totally gloating

:)

I'll defer to your inside knowledge but I comprehended from what he said in the GI interview ...paraphrase "we wanted to go exclusive with our first game, but does not mean we will not go multiplat with future games"

edit: looks like cboat confirms 1 year timed

Moobabe

Yes.

Though this generation most developers used peer to peer, which meant one of the Xboxes/PlayStations was hosting the game, limiting how much they could feasibly run.

EA and sometimes Sony were a few of the exceptions.

Thanks - I wasn't too quick to jump on MS when they announced this because, well, they've had a pretty poor track record explaining themselves.

But if this is "hey we're using dedicated servers now" then.. cool, I guess?

Gorillaz

yo'uere weolcom.e.v1yr timee vcluisve.
So it is time after all? hmm
gladiator-thumbs-up-o.gif

CBoaT kills it again-

Seanspeed

Banned
I wonder if part of that strategy of survival is not only or necessarily how many shots to die but the game itself being bigger and more open and varied in scope allows us more things to do besides just respawn, turn, kill/die .... so there is more interaction with the world and maybe direct firefights happen a little les instantly from respawn time or allowing you to perform other operations (like hacking bots etc) rather than strictly shooting?
That would make sense, definitely.

Wizman23

Banned

Im totally gloating

I know you are legit and am crossing my fingers on your League of Legends rumor!

Orayn

Yet another sci-fi action shooter further solidifies my lack of interest in the Xbone.

Multiplat: Destiny, TitanFall
Microsoft: Halo
Sony: Killzone

Yeah, Xbox One is completely oversaturated with these, I agree.

(Xbox One is awful and I hope it bombs, but this is the wrong reason not to get one.)

So... would the PC version be the lesser version since it doesn't have the "cloud"? Or is the PC version the bench mark and the X1 needs the cloud to achive that PC performance? They did say that this game would not be possible without the cloud.

OH PLEASE! The "Not possible without the Cloud" is pure BS moneyhat hype.

That is just their little nod to M$'s payoff. The game will probably barely use the "Cloud" if it does at all.

The game runs on the Source engine which is an old engine. So this is hardly "State of the art" game development here.

When the game eventually debuts on PS4 later sans Cloud and runs way better we'll see just how "impossible" it was.

Top Bottom