• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is Unreal Engine 4?

Averon

Anybody else surprised by the lack of UE4 being used by publishers and developers? UE3 was so dominate last gen gen that you'd think that would carry over, but it seems a lot of developers and publishers are choosing to use their own engines instead of adopting UE4.

Sushen

I'm curious too. In current gen, Unreal 3 engine helped 360 paved its way to early victory in the US, but I don't hear much at all about in the next gen consoles. No love from other devs?

Trickster

Kinda early to be surprised about a lack of UE4 when there's been something like a dozen next-gen titles shown. If UE4 is still absent next year, then I'll be surprised.

Mully

The closing of many mid-tier games studios who used UE and EA's emphasis on using their HEAT and Frostbite engines makes for a lot less studios licensing UE4.

Scum

E3 itself was running on UE4. The whole event was CGI.

FFMmr.gif

Pooya

this e3 was the first time Epic Games wasn't present at MS conference since 2005 (or 6?) in some form...

2005-6 Gears of War
2007 Gears of War PC
2008 Gears of War 2
2009 Shadow Complex
2010 Gears of War 3
2011 Gears of War 3
2012 Gears of War Judgment

it's pretty odd that they haven't even shown UE4 tech demos on One. Does Epic have no games to showcase UE4 on ng consoles? seems really odd, if there was one here was the time to show it.

IDK but the way UE3 was running this past gen, I'm kinda glad it wasn't there. I wish more teams and studios would build their own stuff to be honest.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Pretty sure I may have gone on record stating that many companies will be tuning their own engines from now on. The rise in costs was too much, especially when you add in additional licensing fees on top of that.

A lot of people dismissed that notion on the perceived basis that since it worked for the 360 and PS3, it must work every time after. And here we are...

with all the amazing looking games they showed like the division, mgs5, mirrors edge, who the hell needs unreal engine anymore

It's more lucrative to sell picks and shovels to hopeful prospectors than it is to try and mine gold yourself.

An internally developed AAA flop could pretty much wipe out any profits that they make from engine licensing and more besides.

If Epic has any sense they will be steering clear of AAA titles of their own.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is why most of Epic's old guard have departed.

I was really happy not to see unreal engine at e3. (except for thief)
Ue3 was a fucking blight on this gen.

Thank god many publishers and first party studios use their own engines now.

FyreWulff

A lot of licensing of UE3 happened out of need after the Renderware exodus.

Long generation resulted in companies having plenty of time to get their internal software up to speed and save money by not having to pay royalties on their engine.

UE4 is failing to acquire many licensees, and nobody is desperate to escape having to pay EA royalties on Renderware this time. Epic didn't do themselves much favors by having piss poor support. If your software stack is good enough, you don't need UE4. If you've built up your UE3 stack, you don't need UE4. Some publishers are still using their stuff built off UE2 on PS4. Some developers are still using engines based off idtech that was old by the time Valve released Source.

The era of engine turnover every few years has passed us by, I think. It's all about the middleware tools now. Programmable texture/vertex/whateverthefuck shaders pretty much genericized engines.

And if anyone has noticed, Epic has been bleeding high profile employees lately.

-SD-

Banned
I found the absence of Unreal Engine 4 to be strange, as well.

There were no The Infiltrator live stage demo and such. Or was there? Anyways, it's really odd.

SappYoda

Fornite, Daylight, Knack and Primal Carnage use Unreal Engine 4. All announced for either PC or PS4 or both.

No Xbox One games have been announced that use it. Maybe there is no Xbox One support in its current state, and that's why few companies are using it.

FyreWulff

Also, to add: I believe a GIANT misstep they took was promoting it has next-gen only. Tying your engine to a specific hardware is never good.

If they were smart, they would have released UE4 for 360/PS3, then shown that it was next gen ready with the tech demos they displayed. They wanted people to think UE4 only = megagraphics, though. As it was, developers will transition by releasing their games for 360/PS3 and Xbone/PS4 this holiday season and beyond, meaning they'll do a smooth update of their UE3 codebase or homegrown codebase to the next gen. At that point, it'd be really stupid to throw out all that work and license UE4 and miss out on potential PS3/360 sales because Epic won't provide official support.

They should be porting UE4 to everywhere and everything in sight. This "we'll wait for people to come to us" attitude isn't doing them any favors.

UnrealEngine

Epic Games
Whoa Whoa Whoa guys. I see a lot of assumptions here...wanted to take a second to clarify a few things.

Where is Unreal Engine!?!
We're still here...lurking in the darkness... MWahahahaha. Ok, no really, Unreal Engine specifically targets events like GDC, and other development centric shows, where Devs go to see, learn, and evaluate. That's why you won't see something like the Infiltrator Demo at E3, but instead will see them at Dev events.

This E3, we focused on meetings with our licensees, and getting them additional support to get their games done and out the door, whichever version of the Engine they use.

What games were at E3 that used Unreal Engine?

We must always be respectful of our licensees first. Oftentimes, we may want to tell you guys about all the goings on, but we have to wait for official announces and releases, and we don't always know exactly how much a company will announce when they do make a release, so we have to be a bit cautious. The last thing we'd want to do is endanger the plans of a licensee.

That said, here is the list of what I know was shown on the show floor or announced at the press conferences that use Unreal Engine 3 or Unreal Engine 4. This does not include any games that were shown in closed meetings or behind closed doors, or anything with an embargo. Some are mobile, some are current gen, some are PC, and some are next gen. Some have not yet released platforms.

(I tried to use trailers from the developer or publisher channels, but in some cases they were using a proprietary player with no share. In those instances, I tried to use reputable press channels)

- D4
- Batman: Arkham Origins
- Blood Masque
- Blacklight Retribution
- Contrast
- Crimson Dragon
- Daylight
- Deadfall Adventures
- Deadpool
- Lost Planet 3
- Magrunner
- Outlast
- Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments (I believe they've only released a tech demo at this point, as opposed to a trailer)
- Thief
- Yaiba: Niinja Gaiden Z
- Fable Anniversary

There were also games that had some presence, either focused on updates or DLC, but have already been released, like Hawken, Primal Carnage, and Injustice.

If you have any questions...
I'll do my best to answer.

Whoa Whoa Whoa guys. I see a lot of assumptions here...wanted to take a second to clarify a few things.

Where is Unreal Engine!?!
We're still here...lurking in the darkness... MWahahahaha. Ok, no really, Unreal Engine specifically targets events like GDC, and other development centric shows, where Devs go to see, learn, and evaluate. That's why you won't see something like the Infiltrator Demo at E3, but instead will see them at Dev events.

This E3, we focused on meetings with our licensees, and getting them additional support to get their games done and out the door, whichever version of the Engine they use.

What games were at E3 that used Unreal Engine?

We must always be respectful of our licensees first. Oftentimes, we may want to tell you guys about all the goings on, but we have to wait for official announces and releases, and we don't always know exactly how much a company will announce when they do make a release, so we have to be a bit cautious. The last thing we'd want to do is endanger the plans of a licensee.

That said, here is the list of what I know was shown on the show floor or announced at the press conferences that use Unreal Engine 3 or Unreal Engine 4. This does not include any games that were shown in closed meetings or behind closed doors, or anything with an embargo. Some are mobile, some are current gen, some are PC, and some are next gen. Some have not yet released platforms.

(I tried to use trailers from the developer or publisher channels, but in some cases they were using a proprietary player with no share. In those instances, I tried to use reputable press channels)

- D4
- Batman: Arkham Origins
- Blood Masque
- Blacklight Retribution
- Contrast
- Crimson Dragon
- Daylight
- Deadfall Adventures
- Deadpool
- Lost Planet 3
- Magrunner
- Outlast
- Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments (I believe they've only released a tech demo at this point, as opposed to a trailer)
- Thief
- Yaiba: Niinja Gaiden Z
- Fable Anniversary
- Knack

There were also games that had some presence, either focused on updates or DLC, but have already been released, like Hawken, Primal Carnage, and Injustice.

Are you here to just promote the Unreal Engine?

MarkV

Thank you for the post, finally i have the confirmation that Knack uses Unreal Engine.

Just a little question ...do you plan to release some papers of your "Infiltrator" tech demo (like you did with Samaritan)? Can't wait to see the tech behind that amazing demo :)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Eurogamer seems to be the only site reporting it. Not that I find the game using UE4 unbelievable, although it would be nice if there was a more definite answer.

Seems to be plausible given the fact that Cerny showed a UE4 demo during the PS4 reveal.

FyreWulff

- D4 - ?
- Batman: Arkham Origins - UE3
- Blood Masque - UE3
- Blacklight Retribution - UE3
- Contrast - UE3
- Crimson Dragon - UE3
- Daylight - UE4
- Deadfall Adventures - UE3
- Deadpool - UE3
- Lost Planet 3 - UE3
- Magrunner - UE3
- Outlast - UE3
- Thief - UE3
- Yaiba: Niinja Gaiden Z - UE3
- Fable Anniversary - UE3
- Knack - UE4

Portugeezer

You didn't do a good job answering where UE4 was...

- D4 - ?
- Batman: Arkham Origins - UE3
- Blood Masque - UE3
- Blacklight Retribution - UE3
- Contrast - UE3
- Crimson Dragon - UE3
- Daylight - UE4
- Deadfall Adventures - UE3
- Deadpool - UE3
- Lost Planet 3 - UE3
- Magrunner - UE3
- Outlast - UE3
- Thief - UE3
- Yaiba: Niinja Gaiden Z - UE3
- Fable Anniversary - UE3
- Knack - UE4

... and now I see why.

Demon Ice

Banned
A lot of the games shown at E3 looked a lot better than the PS4 tech demo we got for UE4. They're probably working hard improving it, they're gonna have to if they want it to look like an attractive engine for other devs to license.

Top Bottom