• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana is $6 on GOG. Get it!

So I bought La-Mulana during the Steam Summer sale, having wanted to play it since it came out on Wiiware and god damn...this game is a masterpiece. I beat it in about 15 hours and I can't stop singing the praises.
This is a metroidvania lover's dream game. Levels oozing with imagination and creativity. Puzzles that are difficult and inspired. Bosses that are gigantic and extremely challenging.

It might be hard as hell, but it makes the game very rewarding with every level/puzzle/boss you complete. It was $7.50 during the Steam Summer sale and now its only $6 on gog. That gets you a copy of its excellent soundtrack as well.
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/la_mulana

1107196-f03_02___copy.png
1107189-f00_06.png
1107191-f01_04.png

Buy it so Nigoro can make another game of this quality in the future!

Mazre

Game is definitely worth your time. Still working my way through, the game definitely has some difficulty spikes, and a few 'moon-logic' bits, but overall does a good job of providing clues without ever holding your hand. Boss fights are actually a lot of fun once you start to get a few weapons/health upgrades.

My main criticism would be that it's difficult to keep track of clues even with taking paper notes. Would be awesome in a sequel if they had a more robust way to correlate notes when they reference a specific rooms, there's no way to even lookup a room name from the map (unless you happen to be in that room already). It's also hard to establish cause and effect between certain triggers and their corresponding events. Also the lightning eyes are more of annoyance than an interesting puzzle/gameplay mechanic.

Would definitely recommend playing without a guide as much as possible, but honestly there's no shame with this game if you get stuck and need to find a clue to help you push forward.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Agreed. But goddamn that game is hard. I'm at Oannes (I think? the fish creature boss in Spring in the Sky) and keep dying and I feel like I'm nowhere close to beating him. I thought Sakit and Elmac were hard too and retried them over and over but finally beat them so I thought hey, this guy too, right? Except... this time I might have hit a wall. lol. Maybe I should explore other areas and come back when I'm stronger...? xD

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Bought it a couple days ago when it first went on sale... Dunno when I'll play it. Which I guess is kinda weird, because I was mad excited for the game about a year ago. Well, someday.

televator

I would buy it, but I heard it has a difficulty worth mentioning... and I long ago lost the masochistic urge to play notably difficult games.

Even Cave Story, as much as I can appreciate how well made the game is, was a exercise in frustration that I never wanna go back to even though I would have liked to go for the good ending.

Guevara

Wow. The checker tells my laptop isn't good enough to play this game. One day it will come to a platform I own.

Cheddahz

Banned
Great game, I already have it on Steam, so I'm not going to get another copy, but this is a game that everyone should pick up

Odrion

Banned
Fair enough, but with graphically simple games that could conceivably run on almost anything, I prefer having cloud based access in a unified library to DRM-free.
Just install the game to a usb stick. Boom, in the cloud. And by that I mean it's in your pocket. Bootable without any need for downloading and installing steam or the game.

If anyone is interested, the freeware version is still avaliable as well.

Get it here.

The freeware version is much more challenging, and at least in my opinion, has the much superior soundtrack.

If you have any compatibility issues, let me know.
I'm running it on Windows 8 and went through every issue in the book to get it working correctly.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I have the WiiWare version, which I still have to get back to at some point.

Other than the (great) price, any other good reason to double dip?

Eusis

Got WiiWare, got in that indie bundle that'd give you a Steam key when approved... but yeah, if you haven't gotten it then by all means get to it.

If you don't have the soundtrack then you can effectively pay $6 to get the soundtrack and the privilege to play on your PC. Though there's also extra content that was meant for the WiiWare version but couldn't be fit in for US release, DLC I believe.

D3RANG3D

If anyone is interested, the freeware version is still avaliable as well.

Get it here.

The freeware version is much more challenging, and at least in my opinion, has the much superior soundtrack.

If you have any compatibility issues, let me know.
I'm running it on Windows 8 and went through every issue in the book to get it working correctly.

I tried getting this to work before and it worked but ran very slow.

cj_iwakura

Nope, WiiWare version is great. I love how it has the speaker prompts. More Wii games should use that.

jetsetrez

Damn my steam addiction, dying to play this game but no steam no sale. Gotta remain strong.
Same.

I've been really eyeing this for a while, it looks wonderful. And I actually really love GOG's service.. but I am too spoiled, I need my games on Steam. :( I've got other things to play at the moment anyway, but if it goes on sale again on Steam I will pick it up.

Danny Dudekisser

This is a pretty telling example of how strong of a grip Steam has on people.

You can sell a game cheaper, with bonuses like a complete soundtrack, offer all of it without DRM, and people still won't buy it.

You can sell a game cheaper, with bonuses like a complete soundtrack, offer all of it without DRM, and people still won't buy it.
I assume those are people who aren't interested in these type of games to begin with, and would pass on it even on Steam anyway in favor of other games.

As if it was otherwise, they would already be an active GoG user; that's how good the platform is for these type of smaller games.

Nonetheless, I personally buy games to play them, and I am happy to pay more for games that I really want to play instead of getting a bunch of games on sale.

Danny Dudekisser

I assume those are people who aren't interested in these type of games to begin with, and would pass on it even on Steam anyway in favor of other games.

As if it was otherwise, they would already be an active GoG user; that's how good the platform is for these type of smaller games.

Nonetheless, I personally buy games to play them, and I am happy to pay more for games that I really want to play instead of getting a bunch of games on sale.

Well, I'm referring primarily to the people who are like "oh, that's a good deal, and I want this game... but, it's not on Steam, so I won't buy it."

jetsetrez

Unfortunately, you're correct. That said, unlike seemingly what a lot of PC gamers champion, I really couldn't care less about the DRM as long as it's just Steam's standard DRM. To me, having everything tied to my Steam account and with the cloud features I enjoy is a much bigger selling point than the lack of DRM. That said, I fully admit that the game should be more important than either, and in some cases that would hold true for me, but in this case since the game is already available for Steam I can wait for a sale on the platform I want the game for.

Well, you'd be incorrect about the former. I definitely want to play this, and appreciate very much the legacy that GOG offers. Frankly, I think Valve needs to hire some people to do what GOG does, and maintain compatibility with older titles, because frankly their support on that end is absolutely unacceptable and shameful. But.. alas, convenience is almost always the victor.

cj_iwakura

I always buy for GOG given the choice. I vastly prefer having it on my CPU whenever I want, and offline not being an issue.

If you like a particular service, you can of course be prepared to both wait and pay extra for it. The quality of service is factor in the purchase, like many others.

I myself buy from Steam, GOG and the Humble Bundle Store, but I understand how people reason when they focus on Steam.

Cheapest price shouldn't always be the deciding factor.

Danny Dudekisser

If you like a particular service, you can of course be prepared to both wait and pay extra for it. The quality of service is factor in the purchase, like many others.

I myself buy from Steam, GOG and the Humble Bundle Store, but I understand how people reason when they focus on Steam.

Cheapest price shouldn't always be the deciding factor.

Right, but in addition to the cheaper price, you're getting some bonus stuff like the soundtrack, and the game has no DRM whatsoever. There is literally no advantage to the Steam version, aside from the fact that it's on the thing you already use.

And that's understandable. I just find it interesting.

Khronico

If you like metroidvanias you'll probably really like La-Mulana. I've been chipping away at it since I got it earlier this year and it's an amazing little game. Definitely worth it if you like that genre.

Bought it full price when it came out and it was worth every cent. I have ~30 hrs in and I still haven't finished it (I tried to do the first half of the game without guides, that didn't work so well. I started reading one when I reached Gate of Illusion D:).

Eusis

Unfortunately, you're correct. That said, unlike seemingly what a lot of PC gamers champion, I really couldn't care less about the DRM as long as it's just Steam's standard DRM.
I think most are the same, they either try to rationalize Steam isn't (even though it's DRM in its most literal form: a form of management for rights to digital goods) or just really don't like when it's overboard and potentially anti-consumer. Just look at how many of the solutions could screw up your system in random ways, how SecuROM has the options to require semi-frequent dialing home and somehow compromises a game's performance, and how TAGES has a limited number of activations PERIOD and running out means needing to call them to reset it. I think most of us are willing to compromise at binding it to an account if it means we also get the freedom to access our games again easily, and why adding any of this other DRM is so damn frustrating.

Right, but in addition to the cheaper price, you're getting some bonus stuff like the soundtrack, and the game has no DRM whatsoever. There is literally no advantage to the Steam version, aside from the fact that it's on the thing you already use.

And that's understandable. I just find it interesting.

Might be the achievements or steam cloud. But it isn't like every game on steam even supports steam cloud.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Damn my steam addiction, dying to play this game but no steam no sale. Gotta remain strong.

Just FYI: if you buy the game from Playism, you'll get a free Steam key. So really you only have to wait for a Playism sale. :D

Also, thanks to everyone for the support and kind words about the game. We work very closely with the NIGORO team. They'll be happy to hear there's a love thread going on. :)

Top Bottom