• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt |OT| Can you dig it?

VanWinkle

I went back and upgraded all but one item, explored each room, and mined most of the minerals and ended at 5:30. Barring a glaring omission on my part, I have no idea how the reviewer managed to play for thirteen, but it's good to know that the game can be played at different paces.

It's closer to the latter. There are areas where the player needs to make a few jumps at risk of being damaged or experiencing a setback, but the platforming is never difficult nor particularly perilous should you fail. I'm not good at platformers, so I liked that the few platforming sections were all fairly easy.

Aww okay. :( Thanks for the answer.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I beat the game today. My playtime was 4:15. Great game, though I don't really see myself going back for loot and upgrading my items a bit more. I still enjoyed it though, highly recommended.

DenisQc

for those who have played both :

this game or spelunky ?
they seem similar, but having no gamepad on pc brings me to prefer the 3ds one.
have 20$ on my steam wallet though.

my limit is my free time (with my 1 year old girl, I do not have much)

Glass Rebel

Just finished the game, clocked at 7h.

Had lots of fun with it and would buy a more fleshed out sequel with stronger focus on platforming and light puzzles as found in the various rooms in an instant.

hiro4

Just finished the game, clocked at 7h.

Had lots of fun with it and would buy a more fleshed out sequel with stronger focus on platforming and light puzzles as found in the various rooms in an instant.

I finished the game in almost 6 hours and 45 minutes with 13 deaths.

And I have the exact same feeling. Would love a more expansive sequel. Exploration and movement were superb.

Qurupeke

8:20 hours with every upgrade, maxed level and as far as I know every loot. Gold on cash, level and bronze on time, deaths(72, shame on me). Really neat game, I liked it a lot. Time to try some speed runs now I guess.

DaBoss

Just finished and I got about 7 hours too. Great game. I especially loved the final part. I got 41 deaths lol.

But yea, I have the same sentiment as above. The caves were the best things about the game. They had some really nice platforming. It also felt good when you get all of the power ups and you go back to some older levels. Also, it should be said that the power-ups were all good.

imageform

Dear friends - and I hope you don't mind me calling you that - let me express how amazed we at tiny Image & Form are to see this forum thread (or OT as @MasterBalls and @SteeloDMZ so kindly taught me it's called). As a formerly iOS-only dev, we have gotten used to screaming into the void and praying for attention. And here - and elsewhere - we've got people happily running forums on the game. Talk about contrast!

You're asking for follow-up on SteamWorld Dig and I'm happy to tell you that as of yesterday, thanks to the overwhelming response and a relieved sense of having a potential big hit, we decided to forge ahead on the next project in the series. SteamWorld is here to stay, and we'll stay on the 3DS.

It's very interesting to see your various completion times (if that phrase works). When we designed it, we wanted SteamWorld Dig to work for both exploration and speedruns, and it's obvious that people play in different ways. @MasterBalls and @SteeloDMZ, couldn't it be a good idea to set up some sort of speedrun thread, where people can post their speedrun results? And could I dare to ask you set it up? We'll gladly arrange no-nonsense prizes for competitions - as well as competitions for overall best scores (deaths, orbs, time etc). What do you guys think, can it be done?

Sorry for the wordiness. We are all elated and a bit exhausted, but incredibly happy. Please follow us on Twitter, we're @imageform - I find it very useful. I'll check back as often as I can between promocoding, interviews and what have you. Thanks for playing, we love you all.

Is this worth the price or should I simply wait until M&L Dream Team comes out to use my 30 dollar promo credit? Is it as good as Guacamelee by comparison? It looks pretty fantastic, but I'm still on the fence.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Is this worth the price or should I simply wait until M&L Dream Team comes out to use my 30 dollar promo credit? Is it as good as Guacamelee by comparison? It looks pretty fantastic, but I'm still on the fence.

It's great and I'd totally recommend it. Fluid controls, great audio-visual presentation and power-ups that are fun to use.

Guacamelee was awesome too, but the two are pretty different games. But in terms of quality, yeah, both are great.

It's great and I'd totally recommend it. Fluid controls, great audio-visual presentation and power-ups that are fun to use.

Guacamelee was awesome too, but the two are pretty different games. But in terms of quality, yeah, both are great.

Oh, thought this was slight metroidvania style. Either way, I think I'll give it a shot. I'm a sucker for a charming theme and artstyle. Been itching for a good eshop game since Sakura Samurai and Mighty Switch Force.

Just learning about this game RIGHT NOW and I'm sold already.

Don't know what I'd do without GAF, because there's no other way this game would've reached me.

Downloading now.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Oh, thought this was slight metroidvania style. Either way, I think I'll give it a shot. I'm a sucker for a charming theme and artstyle. Been itching for a good eshop game since Sakura Samurai and Mighty Switch Force.

I think this should be right up your alley. It's not really a Metroidvania style game, but it does have some elements that are similar to it [you unlock new power-ups that allow you to go further into the world], the main character is as fluid as Samus and the main theme of the game will give you Metroid Prime flashbacks. :)

Dear friends - and I hope you don't mind me calling you that - let me express how amazed we at tiny Image & Form are to see this forum thread (or OT as @MasterBalls and @SteeloDMZ so kindly taught me it's called). As a formerly iOS-only dev, we have gotten used to screaming into the void and praying for attention. And here - and elsewhere - we've got people happily running forums on the game. Talk about contrast!

You're asking for follow-up on SteamWorld Dig and I'm happy to tell you that as of yesterday, thanks to the overwhelming response and a relieved sense of having a potential big hit, we decided to forge ahead on the next project in the series. SteamWorld is here to stay, and we'll stay on the 3DS.

It's very interesting to see your various completion times (if that phrase works). When we designed it, we wanted SteamWorld Dig to work for both exploration and speedruns, and it's obvious that people play in different ways. @MasterBalls and @SteeloDMZ, couldn't it be a good idea to set up some sort of speedrun thread, where people can post their speedrun results? And could I dare to ask you set it up? We'll gladly arrange no-nonsense prizes for competitions - as well as competitions for overall best scores (deaths, orbs, time etc). What do you guys think, can it be done?

Sorry for the wordiness. We are all elated and a bit exhausted, but incredibly happy. Please follow us on Twitter, we're @imageform - I find it very useful. I'll check back as often as I can between promocoding, interviews and what have you. Thanks for playing, we love you all.

Wow, your adorable humbleness has made me decide to buy the game. Great community interaction from you guys. A real earnest love for what you do goes a love way in my opinion, so keep it up

Ok, done downloading. Gonna really start digging into this tomorrow since I'm headed out for a night on the town tonight.

I did get to demo it for about 10 minutes and I'm really digging the art style and the music. Can't wait to play more.

Gaddamn, SOOOOOOO much coming to 3DS. And I'm so happy with the indy games we've been getting. This looks like another gem!

daydream

Banned
Went out and bought an eshop card after reading the great impressions here! My XL is charging right now, can't wait to fire this up.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This is too awesome (from the Steamworld drawing contest):

wiXfV5F.jpg

I asked this in the Nintendo Downloads thread, but I didn't see this thread. Sorry for the repost:

What is the exploration like in Steamworld Dig? Can you get stuck with no idea where to go next (like Metroid)? Or is it more like exploration to find bonuses (like the Star Coins in New Super Mario Bros)?

This can make or break a game for me.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I asked this in the Nintendo Downloads thread, but I didn't see this thread. Sorry for the repost:

What is the exploration like in Steamworld Dig? Can you get stuck with no idea where to go next (like Metroid)? Or is it more like exploration to find bonuses (like the Star Coins in New Super Mario Bros)?

This can make or break a game for me.

Is not very hard to get lost since you are always going down. A point appears on the map whenever you are close to your destination, and it's up to you to figure out how to get there. The exploration part is so you can find loot, secret areas and orbs that can be used to upgrade your character and keep exploring the deeper areas of the cave.

I'm this close to caving in and buying it. Anyone here who's beaten the game can tell me how replayable it is the second time through?

Also great to hear more is coming to the 3DS...my purchase would help solidify that. Hmm...indecision, indecision.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished. I really loved it, and along with Crimson Shroud, is my favorite eShop release.

Steamworld has a ton of potential as a franchise. I'd love to see bosses
the only boss in the game was really cool
, a huge world to go through, even more of those puzzle rooms and a story that you discover by exploring.

The gameplay mechanics in dig are excellent. Image & Form deserves props for absolutely nailing the controls; they are butter smooth, which makes moving Rusty around a joy.

Totally worth the $9 and I'm already looking forward to another playthrough.

Finished SteamWorld Dig just a few minutes ago, here are my final game stats. Great game overall and highly recommended! I would have finished a bit sooner, but that ending scenario kept causing me to die. I felt like I was hitting a brick wall and had to walk away for a bit. I came back and finished the game.

I would definitely love to see a more fleshed out sequel, perhaps with more boss encounters or more puzzle aspects. Maybe a bit more metroidvania elements? The game certainly had them, but I feel like an expanded sequel would allow the developers a chance to fill out certain weak areas in the game.

I really hope the game does well and that Image & Form is able to make a profit off of this title. Glad to see the developer has signed up here and that they feel the game is doing well enough for them to begin their next project.

Hesemonni

Banned
Game looks awesome. Can't understand their decision to stay on 3DS though. Seeing the indie boom that's going on pretty much every platform and the exposure indie games are getting everywhere.

Is not very hard to get lost since you are always going down. A point appears on the map whenever you are close to your destination, and it's up to you to figure out how to get there. The exploration part is so you can find loot, secret areas and orbs that can be used to upgrade your character and keep exploring the deeper areas of the cave.

I'm a bit confused. It's easy to get lost because you're always going down? That sounds like it'd make it easier to not get lost.

duckroll

I'm a bit confused. It's easy to get lost because you're always going down? That sounds like it'd make it easier to not get lost.

Being lost is relative. You're always going down, but sometimes you can get stuck and find it hard to get back to where you were, and you have to keep wandering further until you find a teleporter or an exit. Think of it as a dungeon crawler + Mr Driller.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Nah, you shouldn't have problems getting lost. Things are pretty clear and even if you are stuck for a moment, you only need to take another route to keep going down and reach your destination.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Finished SteamWorld Dig just a few minutes ago, here are my final game stats. Great game overall and highly recommended! I would have finished a bit sooner, but that ending scenario kept causing me to die. I felt like I was hitting a brick wall and had to walk away for a bit. I came back and finished the game.

I would definitely love to see a more fleshed out sequel, perhaps with more boss encounters or more puzzle aspects. Maybe a bit more metroidvania elements? The game certainly had them, but I feel like an expanded sequel would allow the developers a chance to fill out certain weak areas in the game.

I really hope the game does well and that Image & Form is able to make a profit off of this title. Glad to see the developer has signed up here and that they feel the game is doing well enough for them to begin their next project.

You speak my mind here. More puzzle aspects will be nice, as well as more variety of enemies

I like this game

duckroll

Just beat it. Took a little over 5 hours. Pretty fun game, and there's quite a bit of content. Would definitely look forward to a sequel of some sort. Hopefully with more modes which take advantage of the gameplay systems. Maybe an endless mode where you can keep digging without returning to the surface and it gets harder and harder?

Finished it just now, a little over 4 hours, and loved nearly every moment. It didn't outstay it's welcome, and was almost always fun and made you feel like you were making progress.

Being lost is relative. You're always going down, but sometimes you can get stuck and find it hard to get back to where you were, and you have to keep wandering further until you find a teleporter or an exit. Think of it as a dungeon crawler + Mr Driller.

SteeloDMZ said:
Nah, you shouldn't have problems getting lost. Things are pretty clear and even if you are stuck for a moment, you only need to take another route to keep going down and reach your destination.

Cool. Thanks. I think I'll give this a try. The reviews are really positive.

And I do love some Mr. Driller.

jackal27

Banned
Man Image & Form, you guys are a class act. It's nice to know that you're happy with the response. I hope that this game sells well for you all. You deserve it.

Right now I'm about 4 hours in and just got the
Dynamite
. Definitely taking my time, but as I said, I already feel that I've gotten my money's worth.

I'd rather pay $9 for a 5-7 hour game that I really, really enjoy playing than pay $20-$40 on a 30-60 hour game that I just keep playing even though it feels like a chore. Or $1 on a game that feels like a chore for that matter.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just beat it. Took a little over 5 hours. Pretty fun game, and there's quite a bit of content. Would definitely look forward to a sequel of some sort. Hopefully with more modes which take advantage of the gameplay systems. Maybe an endless mode where you can keep digging without returning to the surface and it gets harder and harder?

I'd love this. It would be cool if this extra mode was also randomly generated.

daxgame

I'm interested but the price looks a bit too high with this being not much longer than Gunman Clive. I'll look forward to buy it if a salepromotion happens though

DKoops

Neo Member
I went back and upgraded all but one item, explored each room, and mined most of the minerals and ended at 5:30. Barring a glaring omission on my part, I have no idea how the reviewer managed to play for thirteen, but it's good to know that the game can be played at different paces.

It took me 13 hours to see everything, which was over the course of two playthroughs. I should have made this more clear from the beginning and changed the sentence in the review to reflect it. Sometimes this stuff gets lost in editing and I feel bad if anyone was under the wrong impression by it. Regardless of it though, it is a fantastic game and even with this change my feelings are still all the same. Sorry again!

I am glad to see so many people are enjoying the game, which is great for the future of the SteamWorld games. Had a great talk with Brjann before the game came out and if you are interested, feel free to listen to it. He was a great and humble man.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It took me 13 hours to see everything, which was over the course of two playthroughs. I should have made this more clear from the beginning and changed the sentence in the review to reflect it. Sometimes this stuff gets lost in editing and I feel bad if anyone was under the wrong impression by it. Regardless of it though, it is a fantastic game and even with this change my feelings are still all the same. Sorry again!

I am glad to see so many people are enjoying the game, which is great for the future of the SteamWorld games. Had a great talk with Brjann before the game came out and if you are interested, feel free to listen to it. He was a great and humble man.

Your review mentions that there are different enemies and treasures in a second playthrough, right?

Top Bottom