• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

graboids

Awesome news, if its really true.

For those saying that Kinect HAS to be in every box so devs will support it, what happens after the first year when no one buys any Kinect games and they all bail on it anyway? Then we all just got screwed out of $100... make it optional, if its as great as everyone says, it should sell itself.

Stillmatic

I smell a price drop, it's the only thing that makes sense. Why would they allow you to not use the device at all, ever, but still make you pay for it?

Why ppl thing this marks an opportunity to a kinect-less SKU?

The full quote states that you won't be able to use any app or games that uses Kinect in some manner, which right now is most of the first party and third party games....

He compared it to online. He means you wont use kinect with certain things. With online you cant play online but offline you can. A sku without it is very possible now since there is no requirement.

Facism

I dont want them to say the "console will work" I wasnt expecting it to spontaneously combust upon removal of kinect

I want them to say "You can unplug kinect and still play your games/watch your films etc"

This is what i'd love them to say.

A kinect-less SKU in a year after release at £300 would be tempting.

Artorias

Banned
How's the 360 today? That's how it is.

It would be nice to be able to believe that without question, but I'll wait for them to put it in print with a notarized signature.

I'm mostly joking, but an offhand remark isn't enough clarification for MS anymore.

Dunlop

What if Microsoft makes a $399, but it still includes the Kinect?

What then?

preorder switched...I would probably still do it for $450 as my kids like Kinect

If they would confirm if my damn cable provider (in canada but it uses mediaroom) would work I would probably switch anyways

I really really hope they don't create a bundle without Kinect. When developers know for sure that every One owner is also a Kinect owner, they'll have an incentive to create great Kinect games or games with creative and interesting use of the device. That wasn't the case on the 360.

EvB

For those saying that Kinect HAS to be in every box so devs will support it, what happens after the first year when no one buys any Kinect games and they all bail on it anyway? Then we all just got screwed out of $100... make it optional, if its as great as everyone says, it should sell itself.

Kinect has gone beyond games this time round, it seems to be almost solely about NUI

Funny, I've been typing with my controller for years. I'd bet real money I'm faster at it than anyone would be moving their hands to get an imprecise cursor to move.

Auto sign in for Kinect and the PS4 camera look fine. Switching profiles and split screen is all good, but not $100 good.

And I will never want to Skype on my console while I'm doing something else. Why would I want to shrink the useable area of my gaming screen so my stupid friend can tell me about the wicked fart he just ripped? I've got an iPad and a phone for that shit.
I'm not talking about typing with your hands, with your voice.

About Skype.. I think the same thing could be said years ago about cross game voice chat... "Why would I want to talk to my friend when I'm playing a single player game."
It is a feature that you might not need, but would be really nice.

Plus Skype in the living room will be great for families connecting with their friends and family.

Yep, it allows me to say "grenade!" to throw a grenade instead of tapping a button. Da fewcha! Totally worth a hundred bones.

But you're here to spew shit at anyone who dares insult the great and wise and mighty and sexy and smart and funny and cool Microsoft, like you do in every thread. So keep on keeping on!
Ok obviously something like shouting "grenade" would be dumb, same with making noise to attract zombies in Dead Rising 3.

But look at a game like Skyrim that had a really complicated menu system that wasn't really designed for consoles. They allowed Kinect users to use their voice to switch spells, weapons, etc. That feature is really helpful.

Most console RTS games don't allow you to assign troops to groups because there just aren't enough buttons.
Halo Wars could allow you to select a bunch of groups and say "Assign group 1" and then you just "call group 1" and walaa.

Or in fall out, instead of opening a map and selecting a fast travel destination, "Fast travel to las vegas"

There are a lot of possible implementations for Kinect voice commands in core games besides "grenade!"

eastmen

Banned
That's a done deal, and its fucking Sony that has made that so. If multiplayer was still free on the PS4 I doubt there would be anything MS could do to win me back. But since they both charge for multiplayer, its still a competition.

So no, my one personal gripe remaining is the Gold paywall for apps (Netflix, IE, etc.) and free-to-play games.

don't understand it. So you don't care about online multiplayer ?

Cause if you care about online multiplayer and you own a xbox one /360 you'd be paying for gold . So the fact that something is behind the gold pay wall shouldn't matter as you are getting it anyway.

I'm willing to be that a Kinectless SKU would be sometime after launch. Let's think about it. The removal of the always online requirement requires a day one patch downloaded from the internet, so you NEED internet at least on day one. Let's assume the console wouldn't function without Kinect plugged in. Since it's too late to make that software on launch units, couldn't one assume that the first run will at least need it until it's patched, maybe?

Dunlop

I really really hope they don't create a bundle without Kinect. When developers know they have a sure audience that will use the device, they'll have an incentive to create great Kinect games. That wasn't the case on the 360.

That would kill any hope of me buying the xb1. I am interested to see what they can do with the new technology, if it is not a 1:1 ratio few will bother experimenting

VanWinkle

They basically saying that any game that uses kinect will need kinect to work.

You want people to buy a SKU in which half of games can't be played?

Oh I didn't know half the games would REQUIRE Kinect now that we know it doesn't need to be plugged in. I didn't get that from what he said. Carry on.

Dicer

Banned
Still not enough, if XBLive this gen was any indication of how things will progress for a MS based console, I'll be fine without one.

Nice for those that don't want to be spied on, if actually true however.

He compared it to online. He means you wont use kinect with certain things. With online you cant play online but offline you can. A sku without it is very possible now since there is no requirement.

But you will still need kinect to play games that uses kinect in any manner. It compares to online in the same way that you can't play online games without...well connected to online.

The only way to guarantee plenty of post launch support is to keep it included in every system. I think its great if they allow people to not use it if all they want to play is games without any features or small unimportant ones. I know I don't really have any interest in using it but I will never see the content that can win me over if they don't know that every house has one.

If anything I'd like to see sony's decision to not force it be called into question further down the line.

We still believe in Kinect. We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it.

We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for “Xbox On” and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged. And clearly the “it dropped” scenario is possible.

The most obvious thing is watching a DVD/BD, or streaming a movie, or HDMI pass-through, your experience isn’t impacted (except you miss voice and IR blasting)

There is no “gotcha”, but obviously, if there is a game that REQUIRES Kinect (like Rivals), or something where Kinect IS the experience (like Skype), those won’t work.

That said, for people who have privacy concerns there are user control settings, which we believe are great.

monocromo

Its incredible the amount of people in here who fail at reading and understanding what they just read. For all the ones asking for a non kinect bundle you are missing the point here. This is an option to turn off the sensor mostly when you are out of games and alleviate all the NSA paranoia and the camera that its always watching you. Microsoft allowing you to turn off the camera doesnt mean they are backpedalling on pushing it as a core part of their console. Im fairly sure you are not going to be able to play without it except for a few games.

For those wanting a Kinect-less bundle, it's NOT fucking happening.

This. If they remove Kinect or give a Kinect-less bundle, they may as well just scrap it since no one will develop for it.

I personally think Kinect could offer some really cool stuff. Not necessarily for games, but for voice commands and dash navigation. My wife and kids also love the OG Kinect and use it daily.

don't understand it. So you don't care about online multiplayer ?

Cause if you care about online multiplayer and you own a xbox one /360 you'd be paying for gold . So the fact that something is behind the gold pay wall shouldn't matter as you are getting it anyway.
Its not just about me.

A difficult point for some to grasp, but a real one.

Alx

So you know this?

You can never know for sure, but it seems veeeery unlikely. MS invested a lot in kinect, a big part of the hardware and the general features are linked to it, from the dashboard menus to controller tracking, TV controls, user identification etc.
And kinect is the first think that will make them differentiate from the competition. Remove it and all the attached feature and you're left with a lesser PS4.

It would be nice to be able to believe that without question, but I'll wait for them to put it in print with a notarized signature.

I'm mostly joking, but an offhand remark isn't enough clarification for MS anymore.
Every Xbone game besides the Kinect-only ones have been confirmed to use Kinect as an option only.

Top Bottom