• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese smartphone game market grew 5 times between 2011 and 2012 to $5.1 Billion

All 3 of those are virtually guaranteed to arrive over the next few years. We know that numbers 1 & 2 are already being worked on, 3 will be a natural progression from 1.

That's quite an statement to do 1) and 3) requires time and budget, which is the reason why so many companies are going the mobile route, cheap and fast releases with really big returns of money.

Aside from that, you have companies like SE or Capcom largely ignoring their other audiences in favor for mobile games. If they were continuing to cater to the existing audiences as well as producing mobile titles then people wouldn't be so down about mobile games.

This too. So much this.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
All 3 of those are virtually guaranteed to arrive over the next few years. We know that numbers 1 & 2 are already being worked on, 3 will be a natural progression from 1.

Aside from that, you have companies like SE or Capcom largely ignoring their other audiences in favor for mobile games. If they were continuing to cater to the existing audiences as well as producing mobile titles then people wouldn't be so down about mobile games.

SmokyDave

That's quite an statement to do 1) and 3) requires time and budget, which is the reason why so many companies are going the mobile route, cheap and fast releases with really big returns of money.
It is quite a statement. I stand behind it firmly too. Titles like Deus Ex: The Fall and XCom are only the beginning.

The time and budgets needed still pale next to the 'almost as volatile' console market. Hopefully it'll stay that way to a degree because I don't want to read 'we need to sell 5 million copies to break even' in the mobile sector.

If people bought more handheld games, perhaps it wouldn't be this way. I don't want to watch the Vita dying on the vine, but I can't force people to adhere to my purchasing decisions. All I can do is watch the river keep on flowing and make best of the fish that I pull out.

The iPhone isn't going to get buttons.
There's a standard controller API as of iOS7.

Curufinwe

The iPhone isn't going to get buttons, and having to use a separate controller for a phone game defeats the main purpose of mobile gaming.

I can kind of see the appeal of using a controller to play a game on an iPad you have propped up in front of you... if you have no PC/console and monitor/TV.

numble

I'm talking about more than just the graphics. Those games are far cry of the scope of PsOne era games like MGS or FFVII.
I think they've got a good scope given the price. How long did it take you to beat Bloodmasque? It's a 12-20 hour game for $7. Deus Ex is more like 5 hours for $7, but it's supposed to be episodic. I think better graphics and cheaper price is a good trade off for scope, since even most console games are decreasing in playlength.

It is quite a statement. I stand behind it firmly too. Titles like Deus Ex: The Fall and XCom are only the beginning.

The time and budgets needed still pale next to the 'almost as volatile' console market. Hopefully it'll stay that way to a degree because I don't want to read 'we need to sell 5 million copies to break even' in the mobile sector.

I don't think XCom counts since is a port all the major work in the gameplay and the systems was basically done for console/PC. Is a game that wouldn't have been greenlighted on iOS if it wasn't because they had most of the work done.

Mmm... Dat bubble. Everyone chasing that mobile (Puzzle &) Dragon(s).

I've been on the losing end when these projects flop. It's not pretty. Still, they certainly are here to stay.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I think they've got a good scope given the price. How long did it take you to beat Bloodmasque? It's a 12-20 hour game for $7. Deus Ex is more like 5 hours for $7, but it's supposed to be episodic. I think better graphics and cheaper price is a good trade off for scope, since even most console games are decreasing in playlength.

I didn't say otherwise. But people who are fans of SE, are fans of the super productions of yore, not of simpler but cheaper games. I can see why they are upset with this change.

I really want the whole video game industry to crash and take every single plublisher down with it. Its the only plosible way I see for this whole mobile trend to end. And in the likely case that there is no resurgance , we can at least look back fondly on the good parts instead of dreading which beloved IP the pubs will turn into a social card game.

patapuf

I really want the whole video game industry to crash and take every single plublisher down with it. Its the only plosible way I see for this whole mobile trend to end. And in the likely case that there is no resurgance , we can at least look back fondly on the good parts instead of dreading which beloved IP the pubs will turn into a social card game.

Think about it: What platform would a young developper choose after the game market crashed (which means investors will not be forthcoming with money).

Easy and cheap to develop for, huge install base....

The market most dependant on big publishers is the one that would suffer the most if a total crash happened. That market is consoles.

On the other hand there is nothing easier to ignore than mobile cash grabs. It's not like there's a shortage of games.

Nothing else^^?

Sure, the 3DS is the one in trouble. Not the Vita, Xbox One, PS4..

There's no hope for Vita, Xbone or even PS4 (or Wii U for that matter), we know that alerady.

Basically everyone is in trouble, but even 3DS is. Not inmediatly but in the future and in the next iterations of Nintendo handhelds.

numble

Think about it: What platform would a young developper choose after the game market crashed (which means investors will not be forthcoming with money).

The market most dependant on big publishers is the one that would suffer the most if a total crash happened. That market is consoles.

On the other hand there is nothing easier to ignore than mobile cash grabs. It's not like there's a shortage of games.
Yeah, a gaming crash would make it unprofitable to make game consoles and unprofitable to invest $20 million on a game. It won't stop Apple from making phones and tablets and that install base is still willing to buy games.

I don't care if it takes traditional gaming down with it, I just don't want to see shit like BoF 6 ever happen again. The rest of the mobile users can keep playing with their garbage f2p titles for all I care.

When my sister went to Japan about a year ago, she said that most people were still using flip phones. Now that smartphone sales are starting to pick up there, I wonder if we're going to start seeing handheld sales gradually go down like they have in the rest of the world.

RM8

When my sister went to Japan about a year ago, she said that most people were still using flip phones. Now that smartphone sales are starting to pick up there, I wonder if we're going to start seeing handheld sales gradually go down like they have in the rest of the world.
I was there in March. I saw mostly smartphones (and still, I saw a TON of 3DS and a couple of Vitas).

sublimit

Banned
Sure, the 3DS is the one in trouble. Not the Vita, Xbox One, PS4..

I'll be very curious to see how (and if) the next Nintendo handheld survives through the smartphone dominance.

As for Sony it should be obvious by now that Vita will be their last effort in the handheld market.

Cimarron

I will never take mobile phone gaming seriously until major phone manufacturers start releasing controller adapters. swipe and tilt controls do nothing for me.

This saddens me though. I miss the variety that japanese devs brought to traditional consoles back in the day. I hated being treated like a unloved step child while they dragged the butts on translating games though. I will never miss that. :p

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Can someone name some must-have smartphone game in Japan? Or it's just all mobage? I refuse to believe that the market is growing rapidly even though there are only crappy games available.

And this is why more and more Japanese devs/series are going to mobile.

Smartphones need at least 4 buttons so we can get some real gaming. Only a few genres work on smartphones and when you try to port genres like shooters, action/adventure, and the like then they are just gimped versions of what comes on a dedicated gaming device.

SmokyDave

Can someone name some must-have smartphone game in Japan? Or it's just all mobage? I refuse to believe that the market is growing rapidly even though there are only crappy games available.
Puzzle & Dragons is the biggie for now. It's made GungHo extremely rich.

I will never take mobile phone gaming seriously until major phone manufacturers start releasing controller adapters. swipe and tilt controls do nothing for me.

This saddens me though. I miss the variety that japanese devs brought to traditional consoles back in the day. I hated being treated like a unloved step child while they dragged the butts on translating games though. I will never miss that. :p
This is already kinda happening. Samsung already made an official controller for their phones, and then there's the Shield which is made by Nvidia. iOS7 is also adding official controller support.

I dread seeing news like this as it means less Japanese games on traditional systems or ones that do get made are for western tastes or the Japanese Otaku niche, its already bad enough seeing oldschool Jap action genres like rail shooters only come out on the 3DS when I want them on a big screen.

I guess Japanese genres becoming more popular on PC is a silver lining.

old

We're dinosaurs guys. Parties over. Pack up and ship out. But don't forget to grab your phone.

TheChaos0

I don't understand the hostility a lot of people here have towards mobile games. You're getting games for cheap on devices you overwhelmingly already own and carry around everywhere with you (with a constant data connection). The more the better.

Because experience is not the same and people are fearing and this is where the market a as a whole is going. That perhaps their hobby will just collapse and be replaced with mobile only styled games with microtransactions to left and mediorce controls to your right.

There are good games but man they are far in between and they are not the games that make all that money that companies are chasing (hint microtransactions).

RM8

How will that affect iPhone gaming when the vast majority of people are not going to use a controller to play a game on a 4 or 5 inch screen?
This is important. Mark my words, phone gaming will remain touch focused because even something as low as 10% of the iOS or Android buying a controller for their devices sounds like a huge stretch, and by not aiming at the largest portion of the market completely removes the appeal of mobile development. Let's face it, the games that are big on mobile devices don't really require controls, the market as a whole is not demanding controls on their phones.

SmokyDave

Wondering how Puzzle & Dragons Z will do.
If managed properly, I think the title is a massive boon for Nintendo. That said, it remains to be seen how many people want to pay £40 for a game they already own and lose the progress they've already accumulated. Chuck in some extra content and a little cross-platform incentive and it could sell like hot cakes.

How will that affect iPhone gaming when the vast majority of people are not going to use a controller to play a game on a 4 or 5 inch screen?
The vast majority aren't as predictable as you think. It wasn't long ago that people didn't think anyone would play games on their phone.

Given the immense iOS userbase, controllers only need to see marginal adoption rates in order to be worthwhile. Mark my words, it will happen.

This is important. Mark my words, phone gaming will remain touch focused because even something as low as 10% of the iOS or Android buying a controller for their devices sounds like a huge stretch, and by not aiming at the largest portion of the market completely removes the appeal of mobile development. Let's face it, the games that are big on mobile devices don't really require controls, the market as a whole is not demanding controls on their phones.
None of that matters. Think of games like Max Payne, GTA3, Modern Combat 4 & Deus Ex: The Fall. All of these games currently exist in touch only form and all will be enhanced with optional pad controls. Nothing will change, except for the better.

RM8

I remain skeptical. Controllers on Android are hardly a new thing, and stuff like the Xperia Play bombed considerably. I'm positive only a tiny minority wants a controller for their phones.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I dread seeing news like this as it means less Japanese games on traditional systems or ones that do get made are for western tastes or the Japanese Otaku niche, its already bad enough seeing oldschool Jap action genres like rail shooters only come out on the 3DS when I want them on a big screen.

I guess Japanese genres becoming more popular on PC is a silver lining.

Japan from what I understand is very similar to Korea, or the other way around (doesn't really matter). Both have small land and don't have large spaces to play games on. Additionally, they rely heavily on commuting and travelling and such. This makes small mobile devices the ideal method of getting their game on. It's unsurprising that this is the outcome.

Infinite

I remain skeptical. Controllers on Android are hardly a new thing, and stuff like the Xperia Play bombed considerably. I'm positive only a tiny minority wants a controller for their phones.

Pretty much this. What's stopping that minority from acquiring a 3DS and/or Vita if they want that sort of sophistication in their games that traditional control interfaces offer? The markets can surely coexist. As of now I personally couldn't care about Capcom's, Square Enix's, Sega's, and Konami's exclusive mobile offerings with few exceptions because the experiences there pale in comparison to what's on my 3DS and Vita.

Maybe this will finally lead to better original mobile titles from Square-Enix, Capcom etc.

S-E's original offerings on iOS have high production values but are utter drek compared to the ports.

numble

Android gaming still isn't big. The first thing we saw with the iOS Controller API was a Crytek game.

rip traditional gaming

The outlook is pretty bleak,particularly for the PS4,Wii U and Xbone.

Code:
Media Create - Hardware Sales 

(Jan 1,2007 – Aug 05,2007)                (Dec 31,2012 - Aug 04,2013)

NDS	        4,693,678                 3DS              2,210,593
PSP	        1,255,519                 PSV              628,664
GBA	        43,471                    PSP              326,752

Handhelds	5,992,668                 Handhelds        3,166,009

Wii	        2,365,438                 PS3              532,736
PS3	        584,420                   Wii U            399,142
PS2	        488,870                   Wii              51,748
360	        133,122                   360              17,010
GC	        9,000  

Home Consoles	3,580,850                 Home Consoles    1,000,636

Total	        9,573,518                 Total            4,166,645

Code:
Media Create - Software Sales

2007 - Total 69,630,582               2012 -  Total 51,320,551 

2007 - Source: Famitsu 500            2012 - Source: Media Create

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Media Create - Software Sales (Week 31)

2012 - YTD 28,741,774                2013 -  YTD   24,894,000

When was the last worthwhile SE game announced for 3DS? (so Gyrozetter dosn't count)

Look at the scaled back Capcom support compared the first year of the console.

Or other similar Japanese companies. Anime/otaku games are still healthy on the system (like in Vita) but if that's what we can expect from 3rd party japanese companies (Gyrozetter, that new Capcom game for kids, or level 5 stuff) then I'd say that Nintendo is missing the train...
3DS = Nintendo+MH+DQ+Small Niche Games

Code:
 Famitsu Top 30 – Since 3DS Launch (Feb 21,2011 – Aug 04,2013)

Third Party SW        TOT           TOT - (MH + DQ)
-----------------------------------------------------------

PS3            19,575,434         19,188,075

PSP            13,816,380         13,371,488

3DS            13,108,057         9,158,505

Wii            2,845,086          2,243,576

NDS            1,979,741          1,979,741

PSV            2,126,870          2,126,870

Wii U          293,928            41,137

3DS has been out for ten quarters in Japan

Cumulative Shipments (Unit: Million)
Code:
 JAPAN (First ten quarters)

HW NDS     HW 3DS            SW NDS      SW 3DS     

Q1    1.45       1.06              2.10        2.18      

Q2    2.12       1.27              3.82        3.21      

Q3    2.66       2.13              5.82        4.01      

Q4    3.62       4.66              9.13        10.28      

Q5    5.7        5.85              18.50       13.31     

Q6    6.91       6.77              25.34       16.27     

Q7    9.25       7.94              34.42       20.37     

Q8    10.84      10.88             45.98       29.39     

Q9    13.76      11.54             65.20       34.47     

Q10   16.02      12.18             75.11       38.78

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
It makes sense. When I got here back in 2008, you never saw a smartphone. Then right around the time the Iphone 3g / 4 hit they were freaking everywhere. Probably because the Iphone is cheaper than 80-90% of the phones available here at the shops.

But anyone screaming doom and gloom for handhelds, don't worry. We all carry purses here, so theres room for both. :(

Brofist

Japan from what I understand is very similar to Korea, or the other way around (doesn't really matter). Both have small land and don't have large spaces to play games on. Additionally, they rely heavily on commuting and travelling and such. This makes small mobile devices the ideal method of getting their game on. It's unsurprising that this is the outcome.

I don't think that translates to as much as you think as far as gaming preferences.

Yes many people commute in Japan, so mobile and handhelds are more popular. But I don't think the space issue is the reason consoles are dropping off. Otherwise why wasn't space an issue when the PS2 dominated? Or why is PC gaming so popular in Korea?

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that translates to as much as you think as far as gaming preferences.

Yes many people commute in Japan, so mobile and handhelds are more popular. But I don't think the space issue is the reason consoles are dropping off. Otherwise why wasn't space an issue when the PS2 dominated? Or why is PC gaming so popular in Korea?

The amount of people needed to churn out a decent disk based release has changed. There aren't many 10-15 man teams making block busters these days I'd wager.

Goli

Mostly because people want several things which may include 1) deeper experiences 2) buttons 3) proper treatment of IPs rather than quick cash-ins or ports...

I've tried a few of the more popular phone games and I just don't see the appeal. Most of them are tap to win browser games so I can definitely see why people aren't happy with those.

You should try the "premium" mobile games that are paid and not tap to win browser/social games!

RM8

Android gaming still isn't big. The first thing we saw with the iOS Controller API was a Crytek game.
Hey, it's true, but iOS has several controllers as well and they don't seem to set the world on fire. Most importantly, I don't think controller usage will ever be so big that games are designed around them. For example, the new Prince of Persia having huuuuuuge safety windows to grab an edge and super slow combat - even if it supports controllers.

SmokyDave

The outlook is pretty bleak,particularly for the PS4,Wii U and Xbone.
Thanks for the numbers. 3DS vs DS software is not a pretty sight, pretty much halved.

Hey, it's true, but iOS has several controllers as well and they don't seem to set the world on fire. Most importantly, I don't think controller usage will ever be so big that games are designed around them. For example, the new Prince of Persia having huuuuuuge safety windows to grab an edge and super slow combat - even if it supports controllers.
The iCade stuff, whilst cool, pales into insignificance next to a proper standard controller API.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thanks for the numbers. 3DS vs DS software is not a pretty sight, pretty much halved.

The 3DS number is due to digital sales being a factor for the latest Nintendo handheld and, above all, the absence of all the Brain Training / Sight Training / others.

Is there actually going to be a sustainable $5+ market over there for deeper games, or are we going to continue to see mostly fire and forget games that milk nostalgia along with bad impulse control (BoF6 FFATB)?

I mean, I say this watching Big Six third party Japanese pubs run screaming to this one by one as it's harder to fuck up compared to console 'n handhelds which they've been spetacular at self-sabotaging the last 8 years.

We're in a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad place worse than ever if they keep sluming it, along with the dangers of being caught in a fad (see Zynga & friends).

However, if it goes well, it could be baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad for Nintendo and Sony....

SmokyDave

The 3DS number is due to digital sales being a factor for the latest Nintendo handheld and, above all, the absence of all the Brain Training / Sight Training / others.
Digital sales are a minor factor from all we know so far. Smartphones stealing the crowd that bought the titles you mention is a far larger factor, one would reasonably suspect.

Ferrio

Banned

Devs are flocking to mobiles because they can make cheap games that are profitable that nickle and dime their customers. There's no reason for them to offer anything more than that on those platforms. If they wanted to do so there's already tons of other platforms that offer the hardware/capability for that.

Top Bottom