• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can play through Wind Waker HD on a First Person perspective

Frodo

Can you actually play (as in use items and combat and all) this in First Person View? Or just move around while on the First Person View Camera but the instant you select an item it pan back to the usual Third Person View?

Link to take selfies? Nintendo truly understands this generation.

This post man! lol

I'm almost positive this doesn't mean you can play in first person. I'm sure it just means that when you are in the first person mode to use items that require it it will be enhanced in some way.

Edit: Yeah.. first person with weapons it makes sense with only.

Yep, gamexplain's preview clarified this. FPS weapons like Bow, and Hook Shot are fair game; sword doesn't seem to be

Fuck yes. I actually like the Triforce quest since it still keeps the idea of the original but still cutting it the hell down.

FPS mode? I imagine thats only when using bow/arrow. If not, hrm... Could be cool.

Revven

Yeah, but what are they doing about the Tingle/GBA functionality?

Axing it completely. :(

So, what does Hero Mode do? Same as Skyward Sword?

According to the GameXplain video posted a few posts above, you take double damage and there are less/zero hearts to find to replenish your health with. So I assume it's the same as SS. So if you've played WW before there's no reason not to play Hero Mode.

Now I'm curious about what they did with the PJs... is it just the same as before where if you beat the game you can save it to a unused save file? Or are they selectable in Hero Mode?

Pappasman

gkeED54.png

new area or redesigned hyrule?

Effect

As long as it's optional and works well, that can only be good for a future Zelda. In Elder Scrolls, you also have the choice between 1st and 3rd person, but I always go for 1st because it works better for me. Similarly, I could just use 3rd person in Zelda if they ever decided to make both fully available.

Enhanced first person movement feels reaaaaaally suspicious as if they're vetting it for Zelda U.

Hero mode unlocked from the start is great news. Wind Waker is the most challenge free Zelda game as far as I know.

I do remember Anouma name dropping Skyrim in talks about how to improve and change Zelda for the next game. Pretty curious as to how this new first person view will work. Does sound like it could be a test to see how well it works and what people think of it.

NotLiquid

- Triforce quest – the five Triforce pieces can now be grabbed directly
- Only the remaining three require translated charts instead of eight
- Hero Mode available from the start
- Picto Box has been upgraded
- Upgraded camera could still be used to snap photos of unsuspecting villagers or enemies
- Pictures can go up on Miiverse
- Link can also take funny self-photographs
- Switch between happy, sad, and surprised emotions
- Get the Swift Sail at the auction house after completion of the first dungeon
- No alert via an in-game prompt to signal the special sails availability
- No longer possible to accidentally skip Tingle’s island, as the developers have inserted an introduction to the quirky character into the main quest
- Enhanced first-person camera
- Can now have full movement in that perspective
- Can travel through hallways and shoot arrows like you’re in a FPS

tPUTeV5.gif

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
this first person option screams "lets try how it goes" for the next Zelda, there were some rumours about Nintendo experimenting on it some time ago

Glad they didn't completely cut using charts to find the Triforce shards, I'd say only having to get 3 of the 8 is a huge improvement

Also Hero mode from the start? Nintendo why do you like my money so much?

Frodo

But first is better than third! I want to be first in a contest more than I want to be third! :eek:

If the contest is "Which one is the worst view on a video game?"

First person view takes the first spot.

Edit: now enough with the off-topic :p

this first person option screams "lets try how it goes" for the next Zelda, there were some rumours about Nintendo experimenting on it some time ago

Didn't Aonuma himself mentioned in a interview they were trying the First Person View for Zelda?

Edit2: Searched for it and apparently he didn't, or I can't find it. Maybe I'm just confused :p

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
My most-wanted upgrade: new credits. The faces-in-bubbles one was such a rushed-lookin cop-out. Gimme a proper pan-over of various locales, like every other 3D Zelda.

They're gonna have to redo them anyway so they're widescreen, and not a 480p hardcoded video, and include the HD remake staff. Redo em right!

Pappasman

Ya I was wrong. I'm not used to seeing that area from that perspective. I usually just jump out of the boat and go inside.

Revven

Come to think of it, I don't think you could ever move while shooting in 1st person mode in any 3D Zelda... you had to Z-Target to move while shooting. Which made the 1st person mode only useful for puzzles or sniping enemies from far away.

In other words, it's new for the series in general but not something that probably works outside of the weapons that go into 1st person mode.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I do remember Anouma name dropping Skyrim in talks about how to improve and change Zelda for the next game. Pretty curious as to how this new first person view will work. Does sound like it could be a test to see how well it works and what people think of it.

I just hope that Anouma at least add an option to let me play the Zelda in 3rd person as the Zelda series is not one of those game that I want to play in first person.

jmls1121

Banned
I think anyone that wasn't trolling Nintendo threads knew this wasn't going to be a simple "Gamecube port" as has been foolishly argued.

I bet there are going to be even more additions we don't know yet.

But hero mode from the start is huge. My only complaint about Wind Waker was that it was a bit too easy. The game might look cheerful, but it has a dark story and you are nothing more than a kid. You should get hurt much more than 1/2 heart by enemies.

Otnopolit

Very excited about Hero Mode from the get go, and I agree, Zelda needs difficulty options from the start!

Also, I don't have any problem buying this for $60. This is why Nintendo knows they can price it thus, because Zelda fans want their Zelda fix.

jmls1121

Banned
Nice feature, but this HARDLY makes paying full price for a 10 year old game worth it.

::rolls eyes::

a lot of people didn't play this

the graphics are updated...I really wouldn't call it 10 years old anymore

I would also argue that WW has more elegant design and gameplay than almost any game released today.

Revven

Hero Mode doesn't mean "play in your jammies" like it did on Gamecube, does it?

That was a completely different thing entirely. That was essentially a really weak "new game+" as not only did you get the PJs but you also had the Pictobox DX in your inventory from the very beginning of the game. You only gained access to it after beating the game and then picking a save file to save it to. And you could get the save file again and again by beating Ganondorf in your old save file anyway.

Hero Mode for this game means double damage and less/zero hearts littered in the world like Skyward Sword's Hero Mode. It's possible PJs could be something you get to select but I kind of doubt it... I have a feeling they'll still have the PJs as a new, "special" save file you get access to once you've beaten the game like before.

But we'll see.

Seik

Banned
- Triforce quest – the five Triforce pieces can now be grabbed directly
- Only the remaining three require translated charts instead of eight
- Hero Mode available from the start
- No alert via an in-game prompt to signal the special sails availability
- No longer possible to accidentally skip Tingle’s island, as the developers have inserted an introduction to the quirky character into the main quest- Enhanced first-person camera- Can now have full movement in that perspective
- Can travel through hallways and shoot arrows like you’re in a FPS

This is fucking awesome!!! :D

Nibel

@hyruletiger
gonna put my sword into this guy's head hehe #comeatme #hatersganonhate #getRupeesSolveDungeons

Pretty good. Simple fixes to the triforce quest. Between less charts to translate and faster sailing it shouldn't be much of a hassle. Hero mode from the start is much appreciated too.

I see a Wii U in my future. By the end of this year at least.

While part of me remains annoyed that Wind Waker got the HD treatment I'm glad to see Nintendo revisit this visual style. Skyward Sword looked great but WW is probably the nicer looking game. Part of that is the more cartoony exaggerated animation too.

I hope the next game stars a child Link as well. Especially if he remains silent.

Talon

Didn't Aonuma himself mentioned in a interview they were trying the First Person View for Zelda?

Edit2: Searched for it and apparently he didn't, or I can't find it. Maybe I'm just confused :p
I think it was Miyamoto that said "what if we did a first person Zelda?" during one of those long interviews last year.

Top Bottom