• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FC Copenhagen ban fans with 'foreign names' from Champions League games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
For security reasons. Because hooligans are a foreign import, apparently.

FC Copenhagen have rejected claims of discrimination after the club banned home fans with foreign-sounding names from attending their upcoming Champions League group games.

The Danish champions were drawn in Group B alongside Real Madrid, Juventus and Galatasaray, but sent out an email on Friday informing supporters with non-Danish surnames that their tickets were being cancelled for “security reasons”.

The news has caused uproar among many fans, but Copenhagen club secretary Daniel Rommedahl insists that it was necessary in order to avoid crowd trouble and the move is by no means discriminatory.

In 2000, there were serious disturbances in the centre of Copenhagen ahead of Galatasaray's Uefa Cup final against Arsenal.

"We were fully aware that our decision would cause a reaction, but it was the best solution", said Rommedahl.

"We are fully aware that everyone will not agree, but discrimination it is not."

This reasoning has not gone down well with supporters, though.

Atila Momeni, a 24-year-old of Iranian ancestry who was born and raised in Copenhagen and regularly attends the club’s games, told Goal: “After buying tickets for all three group games, with money taken out of my bank account, I received an email telling me that for security reasons my purchase had been cancelled.

“I then discovered that many others – none of Danish descent - had experienced the same. A wish for greater security is understandable, but it is unacceptable and discriminatory that the only fans to receive this treatment were those with foreign names.

Excuse me while I tighten my corset, lest not crack my ribcage from laughter.

Edit: Woodenlung weights in.

Pathetic trash journalism and as always lots of people jumping to conclusions, goal.com is on level with the dailymail is shittyness. Here's my response from the football thread.

So lets get the facts straight :

Last year when we played Stuttgart a lot of German supporters had gotten tickets for the Copenhagen sections, which resulted in quite a lot of bad things during the match. This resulted in fines and public criticism from Uefa to Copenhagen not doing enough to prevent this.

So people who now bought their tickets and sounds like they support the opposition team has been "temporarily cancelled" which means all of them will be contacted at latest today, to confirm they are actually not just a random Gala or Juve fan trying to get into other sections, of course that isn't ideal but when Uefa has very harshly told the club to do better at separating the supporters it better be done. Of course Danish trash newspapers decides to make a big fucking deal of this and I guess now some English BS media has decided to jump on it too?

No one has been denied tickets because of their names, the few ones that had to be contacted now to be sure they weren't supporters of the other team even got their damn tickets, they just got an email saying what i explained above.

This was something which was also not done before the draws were made. So anyone could have bought the tickets then (a ticket package of all 3 games), but when the draws were made they decided to do this to try and avoid a situation like last year with the germans. All you have to do is still pick up your phone or if you miss the call, call into the ticket service thing yourself, cause the tickets are still reserved for you.

On top of that, if you bought the tickets for the games before the draw was made (which you could) there was no checking up on names or anything like that, it's purely to avoid other fans getting into the Copenhagen stands which we have been warned by the UEFA from before... and the tickets are still reserved for you, just have to get it confirmed you're not a supporter for the other team.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Unless they're completely banning opposition supporters from attending, I don't see how this will work.

If they're that worried about the home fans being "infiltrated" by opposition supporters, then leave that shit to the police.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
And how exactly do you define "foreign names?"

Because I can't envision any dudes called John Smith or Chad Whiteman being banned from shit.

Sucks for people called Mohammed Bin-Saddam Hussein Laden Al-Gaddafi Mohammed and no-one else.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
WoodenLung incoming.
Wooden won't like this thread

kmnIUa6.gif

If they were serious about this, then they'd be banning away support.

As it stands, this just comes across as incredibly discriminatory.

lol, nice to see people have got in with the Wooden comments already

Despicable, xnophobic actions from a disgusting club.

#forzaBrondby

kharma45

I'll just quote Wooden on his behalf

lol

Last year when we played Stuttgart a lot of German supporters had gotten tickets for the Copenhagen sections, which resulted in quite a lot of bad things during the match. This resulted in fines and public criticism from Uefa to Copenhagen not doing enough to prevent this.

So people who now bought their tickets and sounds like they support the opposition team has been "temporarily cancelled" which means all of them will be contacted at latest today, to confirm they are actually not just a random Gala or Juve fan trying to get into other sections, of course that isn't ideal but when Uefa has very harshly told the club to do better at separating the supporters it better be done. Of course Danish trash newspapers decides to make a big fucking deal of this and I guess now some English BS media has decided to jump on it too?

No one has been denied tickets because of their names, the few ones that had to be contacted now to be sure they weren't supporters of the other team even got their damn tickets, they just got an email saying what i explained above.

Derwind

Guys, guys its not discrimination, its just a security measure. You guys are just being unreasonable. All this is meant to do is weed out the lesser races. Thats all. Stop these kneejerk responses guys. Its not conducive to a reasonsble and logical discussion.

I bet you're all foreigners.

*cough*

velociraptor

Perhaps FC Copenhagen as a whole should be banned from Champions League itself.

Disgusting that blatant racism still exists in this day and age.

Pathetic trash journalism and as always lots of people jumping to conclusions, goal.com is on level with the dailymail is shittyness. Here's my response from the football thread.

This was something which was also not done before the draws were made. So anyone could have bought the tickets then (a ticket package of all 3 games), but when the draws were made they decided to do this to try and avoid a situation like last year with the germans. All you have to do is still pick up your phone or if you miss the call, call into the ticket service thing yourself, cause the tickets are still reserved for you.

On top of that, if you bought the tickets for the games before the draw was made (which you could) there was no checking up on names or anything like that, it's purely to avoid other fans getting into the Copenhagen stands which we have been warned by the UEFA from before... and the tickets are still reserved for you, just have to get it confirmed you're not a supporter for the other team.

geomon

Guys, guys its not discrimination, its just a security measure. You guys are just being unreasonable. All this is meant to do is weed out the lesser races. Thats all. Stop these kneejerk responses guys. Its not conducive to a reasonsble and logical discussion.

I bet you're all foreigners.

*cough*

If I wasn't going to Hell before, I am now after chuckling at this.

The funniest thing is the people who has been bugging journalists on twitter and given downright misleading information has been fucking Juventus supporters, who has absolutely no business in the Copenhagen fan sections but should buy their tickets through their own clubs site.

Oh and this is how it looked last time Galatasaray was in town to play at our stadium, this is why they are trying to get separated as much as possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfir10me2EQ

And how exactly do you define "foreign names?"

Because I can't envision any dudes called John Smith or Chad Whiteman being banned from shit.

Sucks for people called Mohammed Bin-Saddam Hussein Laden Al-Gaddafi Mohammed and no-one else.

Well, i bet I'd get banned with a russian firstname and a croatian surname...

Kurtofan

Why not "temporary cancel" all tickets?

Why not "temporary cancel" all tickets?

Why would they? Only Italian, Turkish and Spanish sounding names got temporarily suspended from buying from the Copenhagen stands. One thing that everyone seems to miss to is that they can just fine buy tickets for the away section, through their own clubs webshop (like you have to do in all champions league matches).

This was done because Uefa complained about the lack of control last year against a German team, if we had drawn Stuttgart instead of any of these the people with German sounding names would have to confirm with the ticket company they are not there to support the German team.

and as explained : Before the draw, when the teams weren't known and you could already buy tickets (which a lot did) no names was checked for this very reason. But the people who all of a sudden had to go in and see Juve, Gala or Madrid when the draw was made, were checked up on.

Why would they? Only Italian, Turkish and Spanish sounding names got temporarily suspended from buying from the Copenhagen stands. One thing that everyone seems to miss to is that they can just fine buy tickets for the away section, through their own clubs webshop (like you have to do in all champions league matches).

This was done because Uefa complained about the lack of control last year against a German team, if we had drawn Stuttgart instead of any of these the people with German sounding names would have to confirm with the ticket company they are not there to support the German team.

and as explained : Before the draw, when the teams weren't known and you could already buy tickets (which a lot did) no names was checked for this very reason. But the people who all of a sudden had to go in and see Juve, Gala or Madrid when the draw was made, were checked up on.

How exactly does one go about proving which team they support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom