• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

knee

Thanks to the glowing endorsement of Markman, I've finally tasted the wine of the Namco NPC-102. I instantly fell in love with it and immediately started seeking a backup.

Fast forward to a few days ago. I found one with a bad joystick. The joystick is heavily used and very loose. Directions only register at the very end of the throw (and only half of the time at that). Is there any way to fix this whether via JLF install or through Namco / Hori parts?

Edit: I'll be changing the switches on the inside, but the looseness makes me feel like something has worn away to make it that loose.

Tesseract

Banned

i think i'm gonna go with this, i really dig the eight-button namco noir layout. seems more natural for your pinky and the extra difference gap between joystick and buttons is really nice.

ok so i tested the namco noir layout at a friend's house. i fucking hate it, guess i'll shell out 30 bucks more for the fightstick pro te.

replying to yourself is the worst.

Yes Boss!

the problem with most PS sticks and the tototek converter is that the Saturn has no R2 or L2 equivalent. I have a Namco psx stick and I can't use it because roundhouse doesn't register at all.

Never really considered that. Don't really play too many fighters. And don't have any on the Saturn. Just been using the PS1 sticks on Saturn for shmups.

Adapters always suck for button-mapping reasons alone. Much better to use a stick designed for a system. I even get anniyed at the way buttons get mixed up a bit on the dual-play Qanba sticks.

Tesseract

Banned
omg perfect timing

tM1tDd4.jpg

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...tStick-Tournament-Edition/productID.253767700

$100 with free 3-7 day shipping

thank you based markman

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
ok so i tested the namco noir layout at a friend's house. i fucking hate it
I'm curious why you disliked it so much. I personally find it more comfortable for ring finger placement, and I can understand someone not finding it more comfortable - but "fucking hate" is big business dislike.

Tesseract

Banned
I'm curious why you disliked it so much. I personally find it more comfortable for ring finger placement, and I can understand someone not finding it more comfortable - but "fucking hate" is big business dislike.

yeah that was misplaced drunken hyperbole, sorry. i probably would've adjusted to the button layout after a few hours.

This is insane.
MetalGearSolidMkiiCustomArcadeStick1_zpsc0e0fe94.jpg

MetalGearSolidMkiiCustomArcadeStick15_zpscccc6797.jpg

Here we have a full blown custom arcade stick based on the Mkii robot from the Metal Gear Solid series with a fully functional PSP. The stick and buttons can operate the PSP and a PS360+ via a custom paddle switch on the rear.

This one has PC speakers integrated with an amplifier for louder volumes. The head ontop of the stick has a PSP camera which also works with the PSP. Data transfer is carried out through the Neutrik USB socket on the rear next to the adapter point for the speakers. Headphone and headset sockets ontop of the case. DPDT switch to go between camera and usb socket.

More pictures here.

Reclaimer

Hey guys,

I have an almost brand new Qanba Q4raf (with Seimitsu stick/buttons)

I would like to play Sturmwind on my Dreamcast with it. What's the best way?

Should I do a Akishop PS360+ mod? Seems a bit extreme for just Dreamcast, but seems like the easiest PCB mod.

Is there a future plan for firmware upgrades on the PS360+? I'd love to see SNES support.

Or, crazy option, just sell the thing as almost new and use the money to by a Foehammer S7 with the PS360+ already installed. :p

Does PS360+ support Dreamcast?

I'm admittedly not up-to-date on it, but a PCB you should consider for DC support is toodles' Multi-Cthulhu.

Reclaimer

Does PS360+ support Dreamcast?

I'm admittedly not up-to-date on it, but a PCB you should consider for DC support is toodles' Multi-Cthulhu.

Yeah, the PS360+ does support Dreamcast as of this year I believe.

The Cthulhu also supports Dreamcast, but does not support 360 without doing yet another mod to add a 360 controller pcb to the mix. The 360 is my shmup machine of choice, so whatever I go with has to work with that.

StickGAF, I'd love some input.

How good are the SF4 TE sticks for playing retro arcade stuff on PC (MAME)?

They're good. You can even rotate the restrictor gate 45 degrees for 4-way controls - perfect for games like Pac-Man and Tetris Grand Master.

Get the 360 one as the original SF4 TE on PS3 isn't compatible with all PCs.

They're good. You can even rotate the restrictor gate 45 degrees for 4-way controls - perfect for games like Pac-Man and Tetris Grand Master.

Get the 360 one as the original SF4 TE on PS3 isn't compatible with all PCs.
Thanks. I have a 360 version that I bought in 2009 and have barely touched. I'm selling some stuff to raise money for next gen. But I can't get anyone to bite locally and I just don't want to pay $20 shipping something that big. I'm not a PC gamer but I want to try to get into it in the next year or so.

EasyMode

Are there adapters out there that will let me use my USB HID (Qanba Q4) joystick on the Gamecube or PS2? Google only leads me to console > usb adapters, but not the other way around.

...or does this require an MC Cthulhu mod and making wires for each console? :/

Are there adapters out there that will let me use my USB HID (Qanba Q4) joystick on the Gamecube or PS2? Google only leads me to console > usb adapters, but not the other way around.

...or does this require an MC Cthulhu mod and making wires for each console? :/

I have looked before and have not found any adapter that lets you use PS3 or 360 controllers on PS2 or GC. The only thing I found was a Wii to GameCube adapter. I use it to use my TVC stick on GC.

Kade

Hey guys!

I recently got back into fighting games and am currently in the market for an arcade stick that is compatible with PS3 and PC. The games I'd be using it for are SSFIV:AE and TTT2. What is the best arcade stick I can get for under $100. One thing to note is that I live in Canada so if you're linking sticks to online retailers, make sure they operate in Canada. Shipping prices are ridiculous to where I am as it is.

knee

Hey guys!

I recently got back into fighting games and am currently in the market for an arcade stick that is compatible with PS3 and PC. The games I'd be using it for are SSFIV:AE and TTT2. What is the best arcade stick I can get for under $100. One thing to note is that I live in Canada so if you're linking sticks to online retailers, make sure they operate in Canada. Shipping prices are ridiculous to where I am as it is.

Qanba Q1, IMO. Otherwise, search for a used MadCatz TE stick from a seller already based in Canada.

jmro

Hey guys!

I'd splurge for this myself...
http://gamesharkstore.ca/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5719&idCategory=274

Can't get much decent for under $100

http://www.canadianjoysticks.com/complete-fightsticks/

New002

I'm late to the party but here are two of my current arcade sticks and one that I gave to a buddy:

Sega HSS-0130

3945833929_0df7a16847.jpg

The top one with the Blast City CP has been modded with Xbox 360 PCBs and P1 & P2 Guide + Back buttons have been added to the rear of the case. The insert was also replaced with a custom SF4 insert featuring the original roster. The bottom stick is 100% stock. It's strictly used for Dreamcast gaming thanks to some Sega Saturn -> DC adapters.

Madcatz SE Stick

3323802653_a753f34e78.jpg

This is an SE Stick with updated artwork and buttons for that Sega Astro City look and feel. The artwork was created and provided by a user on the SRK forum. This one I gave to a buddy as a gift.

I also have a TE stick with custom artwork and a full custom stick but don't have pictures of those readily available. I kind of went through an arcade stick phase when SF4 launched >_>

Vitacat

Got my Xarcade Tankstick last week. Also got 2 adapters; the 2in1 which works with PS3 & original Xbox, and the 5in1 which works with Dreamcast, Gamecube, Wii, Playstation 2 and Playstation 1.

Now I used to have the original Xarcade 2 player (the smaller one without the trackball) but sold it a couple years ago. It was pretty good, but certain things about it could've been better. Which leads me to posting this mini review here -- I took a leap of faith with the Tankstick because I missed having American style controls, and it has impressed me. My old Xarcade was one of the first production runs, and the bat tops had a cheap rubbery feeling so I replaced them with Happs sticks. I'm happy to say Xgaming has really improved the Xarcade sticks since then. My Tankstick's bat tops feel very much like standard Happs Supers. And after a week of usage, they have proven accurate (diagonals are all great), and feel like the "real thing" to my American hands.

Good job Xgaming on improving the sticks.

Here's a photo (not mine) of the smaller 2 player next to the Tankstick:
92.jpg

The buttons always felt pretty good and still do. The trackball is superb; nice and big, rolls nice and smooth, and makes classic arcade games feel just right. Being old enough to have played Missile Command when it was new, this is a blast. And you can use it as a mouse, which is fun in its own bizarre way.

The actual box is another great improvement compared to the old 2 player unit I once had. The size is now perfect for 2 players to sit next each other, thanks to the extra space in the middle used by the trackball. My wife is an avid gamer, and we have had some great times already playing side-by-side on the Tankstick, including a full game of D&D Shadow Over Mystara and tons of Tekken Tag 2. She prefers the Tankstick over my Japanese style stick (Qanba Q4RAF), and I just consider them equal but different. The Tankstick will certainly give you a sense of arcade nostalgia if you grew up with American style sticks. But obviously a Sanwa or Seimitsu stick will give you that effortless, fine (almost too fine) control afforded by Japanese arcade sticks.

As for the adapters, they work great. I've used the 2in1 on my PS3 (newest slim model) mainly with Tekken Tag 2. It works great, and after hours and hours of play I encountered no noticeable issues. I am NOT a competitive player; I just play for personal enjoyment; so I can't provide any accurate feedback on how laggy or not the Tankstick is compared to my Japanese stick. But I didn't notice any lag. Hardcore competitive players may want to do more research, but in my house we're loving the Tankstick. With the 5in1 I tried the Dreamcast and PS2 so far, and everything worked great once again. However, it's worth pointing out that you don't have VMU slots with the Dreamcast, which can lead to awkward switching between pad and Tankstick to load or save data. Not ideal, but OMG the arcade games on DC feel amazing with the Tankstick. If Xgaming could sell a VMU add-on for the adapter I would buy it immediately. The PS2 worked with no issues that I could tell.

Which leads me to some criticism... When using the Tankstick with the PC, it's seen as a USB keyboard (or PS/2 if you have an old system) by the computer. This generally works great, but has a serious limitation for certain types of games: after some testing I have found that you cannot simultaneously press many inputs at one time. For most retrogaming it's fine; but if you're playing a fighter requiring 3 button presses and a stick movement, and both players go for it, someone will be missing an input. From my brief research, I think this is a shortcoming in how USB keyboards are read by my computer and/or OS. Maybe other computers will fare better, but beware.

Now, the good news is there's a very easy work-around. I happen to own a very good Playstation 2 dual control USB adapter, and plugged my Tankstick into my PC with it. Now everything is perfect, and every button can be held down at the same time no matter what, because the computer/OS is reading it as a game device and not a keyboard. I could probably also use the 2in1 adapter with the PS3 USB inputs the same way, but since it lives by the PS3 in the other room, I'm fine with the PS2 adapter.

So, overall I give a big thumbs up to the Tankstick. It's big, well-built, feels great, works great aside from a few niggles, and thanks to the variety of adapters is incredibly versatile. It's probably not for everyone, but for people interested in a 2 player stick with American style controls I don't think you can do better without going through the trouble of building something yourself from scratch.

Reclaimer

Got my Xarcade Tankstick last week...

Great impressions! Thanks Vitacat.

I've been eyeing the Tankstick for a while because of its trackball and multi-console adapters. I wish there was somewhere I could try one out first!

Is the base really heavy enough to just place on a coffee table and have two people playing? Or should I expect o be bolting the guy down somewhere?

Also, can I switch the sticks to a 4 way gate? (Pacman Dx demands it :)

Vitacat

Great impressions! Thanks Vitacat.

I've been eyeing the Tankstick for a while because of its trackball and multi-console adapters. I wish there was somewhere I could try one out first!

Is the base really heavy enough to just place on a coffee table and have two people playing? Or should I expect o be bolting the guy down somewhere?

Also, can I switch the sticks to a 4 way gate? (Pacman Dx demands it :)

Yes, the base is plenty heavy. Around 20 lbs I think. Depending on how physical you are I don't think it needs to be bolted. But 2 big dudes who are very physical players... maybe?

And yes, I do believe you can reverse the actuators and make the sticks 4way. I haven't tried it, but I did examine the sticks to compare them to an extra Happs Super I have and it has the same reversible actuator design. However, I have found 4way games actually play well with the Xarcade sticks even in 8way mode. It's much easier to accidentally hit diagonals with Japanese sticks.

Reclaimer

Yes, the base is plenty heavy. Around 20 lbs I think. Depending on how physical you are I don't think it needs to be bolted. But 2 big dudes who are very physical players... maybe?

And yes, I do believe you can reverse the actuators and make the sticks 4way. I haven't tried it, but I did examine the sticks to compare them to an extra Happs Super I have and it has the same reversible actuator design. However, I have found 4way games actually play well with the Xarcade sticks even in 8way mode. It's much easier to accidentally hit diagonals with Japanese sticks.

Thanks man! I'm thinking this needs to be on my short list of new gaming accessories.

Keep us updated on how it wears!

culex-knight

Neo Member
I've scoured this thread and others all over SRK, Steam, etc, but found no real answer. Does the touch pad for the Hori Fighting Edge work for PC? (PS3)

culex-knight

Neo Member
Why wouldn't it work? What are you expecting it to do?

Well... work, but it seems that really isn't my problem. It doesn't seem to be working on my ps3 either. The joystick, 8 kuros, and ps3 button work, but the touch sensor buttons only light up; they are not responsive at all.

akaoni

Banned
Bought arcade stick, tried to change the top.

Long story short, the stick doesn't feel quite right now. I'm not a stick user, but there's a definite clunk I can feel as you move the stick in a certain direction every few times that shouldn't exist before it even registers a direction, and the directions feel like the might need to go further than I expect. Stressed out about it actually, tempted to just buy a new one and sell this one to someone who knows what they're to be safe, and stay with the original balltop.

So I'm asking here first just in case it's an easy newbie issue, I won't get a chance to look at it myself until later today either way.

P.S. don't let someone who thinks they're just worthless pieces of plastic help you with it. :(

Zissou

Bought arcade stick, tried to change the top.

Long story short, the stick doesn't feel quite right now. I'm not a stick user, but there's a definite clunk I can feel as you move the stick in a certain direction every few times that shouldn't exist before it even registers a direction, and the directions feel like the might need to go further than I expect. Stressed out about it actually, tempted to just buy a new one and sell this one to someone who knows what they're to be safe, and stay with the original balltop.

So I'm asking here first just in case it's an easy newbie issue, I won't get a chance to look at it myself until later today either way.

P.S. don't let someone who thinks they're just worthless pieces of plastic help you with it. :(

Do you mean the top of the lever or the top panel of the stick?

akaoni

Banned
Do you mean the top of the lever or the top panel of the stick?

The ball top. Wanted to experiment with a bat top. I was under the impression at least that I needed to take it apart to change this so I had to take out all the stick parts and put those back in.

Put them all back in, so maybe I messed up there or maybe I tightened a piece too much.

It feels like the stick has a sort of 'dead zone' where it can move before there's a clunk sound and a stiff feeling, then it travels to the switches. Doesn't happen all the time but enough to be a problem.

I can't try fixing it right now but I figured there might be a common booby issue that I could easily deal with when I get home. Might be safer to just order a new one and eBay this to someone who knows how to deal with it. Causing me $240 worth of stress that I would rather not deal with. :-(

akaoni

Banned
What kind of stick is it? You might want to open it up and poke around (some sticks make this very easy nowadays).

Qanba R4.

I'll be poking around it in about 9 hours, I'll just be a broken mess of worries at work until then. Hopefully it's straightforward to solve.

So after having amazon screw up my order for the MC Soul Calibur stick 3 times and the one I bought on ebay being returned damaged from the royal mail without even reaching me, I ordered the Fightstick Pro instead from Gameshark, should be coming today.

Anyone had experience of replacing the art on the Pro style sticks? Looked like it would have been easier on the TE style Soul Calibur one because it looked like you could just stick the new art and and a plexi under the screws, rather than having to adhere it to the metal plate in any way.

Zissou

Qanba R4.

I'll be poking around it in about 9 hours, I'll just be a broken mess of worries at work until then. Hopefully it's straightforward to solve.

It's possible wires inside the stick are hitting the lever when you moved it a round or something like that. Depending on what's going on, it could pretty easy to tell what's happening. When you open up the stick and pull off the top panel, you'll have a better idea with what you're dealing with.

It completely unrelated news, I finished by stick mod for my OG TE!

The TE had seen a ton of use- the old screws holding the top panel in place were quite rusty, and sunlight had faded the art significantly and yellowed the sides. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Well... work, but it seems that really isn't my problem. It doesn't seem to be working on my ps3 either. The joystick, 8 kuros, and ps3 button work, but the touch sensor buttons only light up; they are not responsive at all.

Sounds like you need to contact Hori about that, unfortunately =/ That's not something I would try to diagnose/repair on my own.

The TE had seen a ton of use- the old screws holding the top panel in place were quite rusty, and sunlight had faded the art significantly and yellowed the sides. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Minimalist designs are so hot. Absolutely sexy.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Looks great!

On a similar note, I just got my Tekken Hybrid Namco TE-S in the mail (after the first one I received was damaged...). Too lazy to take a picture of mine right now, but it's this one:

I too am a huge fan of simple aesthetics.

Top Bottom