• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub video shows day/night transition

Just dependant on the direction of the sun and entry of light in to the cockpit. In that particular shot there is no direct light bouncing off from the cockpit so you get that darker loom. Doesn't matter really how bright it is outside but whether light is finding an entry point through the glass in to the interior, usually via direct sunlight.

maxresdefault.jpg

Good example, I suppose it boils down to the difference between the dynamic range of eyesight and video.

Go and sit in your own car on an overcast day, everything appears duller but you can still make out every detail.

That's why I was asking if it was HDR crushing the details out.

That is not an overcast setting, or at least not a substantial one. And even in one it will still be darker, the shadowing just gets alot more smoother. It looks perfectly fine in the DC shot...

2013-Nissan-GT-R-race-car-cockpit-view-1024x640.jpg

Personall, I think the rendering in the newest DC video is just nice, there is just more microdetail to the tracks than in Forza. Having said that, the Forza track just look much more interesting on a macro scale, there really need to show some more interesting tracks in DC. I mean, I have been to the north of Chile, to the Atacama area, but I haven't seen the area they show in DC, don't even know it if exists. North of Chile is stunning, but I don't think it is a very interesting environment to look at in an arcade car racer. They probably would have been much better setting it in Chiloe, Region de Lagos, or Torre del Paine, which is absolutely spectacular:

0x600.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mmm, I dunno. The image quality looks pretty rough to me.

Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPAQa6Scbdc
The one thing here that's strange right off the bat is that FM4 has the environment shadows cast on the car, while FM5 doesn't anymore. They used to have this in the E3 build but the shadows on the car were updated only at 20fps rate. Now they removed them altogether. Maybe they're just in the process of rewriting that so that it works they way it should, and not update only at 1/3rd of base rate, but it wasn't ready for this video.

Shaneus

The one thing here that's strange right off the bat is that FM4 has the environment shadows cast on the car, while FM5 doesn't anymore. They used to have this in the E3 build but the shadows on the car were updated only at 20fps rate. Now they removed them altogether. Maybe they're just in the process of rewriting that so that it works they way it should, and not update only at 1/3rd of base rate, but it wasn't ready for this video.
Should the driving guide from around the road be reflecting on the bonnet? Lack of shadows is weird, too.

velociraptor

Interesting direct comparison to DriveClub now possible with more similar looking tracks (both rural/mountainous). Had to use shots from the older and far more jaggy DriveClub build in some of these, but it's the best we have for now. Obviously it's not really fair given one runs at half the frame rate, but it's interesting seeing the graphical differences either way. Has to make you wonder whether Evolution will actually hit that 60fps target or not (I doubt it).

ibnldBH4xphAjh.png

iWTkPIvlZbmIB.png

iuLoA4VR4O1iV.png

iWgK0SYfkWWL9.png

ibrqh3LIdPLy0b.png

i7gWLsJ4RWSMi.png

ibuKQ2uwpaVh2a.png

image_driveclub-23124-2662_0010.jpg

image_forza_motorsport_5-23307-2721_0018.jpg

image_driveclub-23128-2662_0003.jpg

image_forza_motorsport_5-23307-2721_0004.jpg

3rEI6w6.jpg

image_forza_motorsport_5-23307-2721_0006.jpg

image_driveclub-23124-2662_0008.jpg
I wasn't at all impressed by the latest FM5 video. The lighting, shaders and shadows look so flat. This is where Driveclub really shines. The fact it's using a fully dynamic lighting system with global illumination makes it look much better. I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with Driveclub initially - I gave the nod to Forza 5. But now it looks like the tables have turned. The latest day/night video simply looks beautiful.

nib95

Banned
The track is unfinished.

There's no doubt DC will look better though, running on a more powerful console and at half the frame it fucking well should do.

Be interesting to see if they ever do hit that 60fps target. I highly doubt it but you never know. Personally just can't wait to see how it looks at launch. My guess is it'll look better each time we see it. Evolution usually have a very dramatic end of Dev cycle optimisation and polish stretch.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Absolutely, I follow this thread purely for the technical details, it's nice to see how the games progressing.

I can't fathom the crunch the devs at both T10 and Evolution must be suffering through.

Considering historically racing games have been used as a test of a system's graphical prowess they must be under a lot of pressure.

Odrion

Banned
So uh, what's so arcadey about Drive Club anyways? It looks like the cars handle similar to Forza, or at least closer to Forza than Burnout/Outrun/Cruisin' USA/Crusin' World/Cruisin' Exotica/Cruisin'...

nib95

Banned
So uh, what's so arcadey about Drive Club anyways? It looks like the cars handle similar to Forza, or at least closer to Forza than Burnout/Outrun/Cruisin' USA/Crusin' World/Cruisin' Exotica/Cruisin'...

It's sort of an in-between. Not completely arcade, but not completely sim either. PGR/Horizon esque.

It "looks" like cars handle similarly? There's no way for you to tell anything about handling until you get your hands on a controller.

I can't fathom the crunch the devs at both T10 and Evolution must be suffering through.

Considering historically racing games have been used as a test of a system's graphical prowess they must be under a lot of pressure.

Yeah I don't know if either should have demoed circuits in such early states, I'm pretty sure T10 were reluctant to, it's great for the fans but the inevitable criticism must be awful.

Can't wait to see the finished games, although I won't be playing both.

jett

D-Member

From what I've seen, most corners can be easily drifted. The cars look heavy in that simcade way, but the game retains arcade-like drifting sensibilities.

Liamario

Banned
I can see one of two scenarios happening with regard to the final framerate;
It will be either a very unstable 60fps, or they will release the game at 30 with the hope of optimising it with updates to hit 60fps. The former is the least likely.

viveks86

I can see one of two scenarios happening with regard to the final framerate;
It will be either a very unstable 60fps, or they will release the game at 30 with the hope of optimising it with updates to hit 60fps. The former is the least likely.

Yeah they pretty much confirmed it on facebook last week, when asked about 60 FPS.

We can’t confirm the frame-rate just yet, because it is continually being optimised and will be up to and after launch.

GodofWine

I've never heard of post-launch performance gains.

Sony (or MS) can upclock their hardware via a patch after launch...its all just 'code', if evo gets a better grip on some technical aspects of the ps4 or their engine, they can push through an update to make the change.

Skeff

This gen they've mainly been bug fixes, but % of players who are online is increasing rapidly and next gen is the first real online Gen IMO, there are other games which are not shipping the full game on disc and you have to download the final parts of it.

CLEEK

A bunch of games have had them this gen, and they're fairly common on Vita.

Some games had major overhauls, like PS3 Bayonetta and ZOE. Others, like GT5 and GRID had updates that really addressed the tearing that was there in the retail game.

viveks86

Some games had major overhauls, like PS3 Bayonetta and ZOE. Others, like GT5 and GRID had updates that really addressed the tearing that was there in the retail game.

Many of those examples, except ZOE, were really improvements made to performance issues. A 30 FPS to 60 FPS jump would be an unprecedented leap AFAIK. Would love to see that happen, since other console game developers may start following suit. I can only see good things coming out of this.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Me neither. I posted about this a couple of days ago on the other driveclub thread. There was an interesting response about ZOE2.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=84085509&highlight=#post84085509
Isn't that the game that everyone wanted but nobody bought?
They could mean a day 1 patch.
Well, they specifically say post-launch. Not launch.
Really? Hell, Nintendo updated the Wii U a couple months ago and it improved all games that were out.
System OS. Not game software.
Sony (or MS) can upclock their hardware via a patch after launch...its all just 'code', if evo gets a better grip on some technical aspects of the ps4 or their engine, they can push through an update to make the change.
That's what the PSP did. Even if it was underclocked in the first place.
This gen they've mainly been bug fixes, but % of players who are online is increasing rapidly and next gen is the first real online Gen IMO, there are other games which are not shipping the full game on disc and you have to download the final parts of it.
Beta testing in the future?
I have.
Vita is quite neat in that they show changelogs and quite a few Vita titles I've played have had patches to improve performance. Ridge Racer key among them.
Well, that's always happened. But, I meant to say, real, tangible, performance changes. maybe something like a radically increased framerate, an excessively increased polygon count. Stuff like that.
Ghostbusters PS3.
Who's that? Do you have a phonenumber?
Happens in pc all the time with driver update . Same can happen on consoles.
Oh yeah! Those are the things I have to rollback and forth on software updates so my games won't crash.
Yes.

XJF

In all honesty, this is probably the only next gen game (that'll release semi-soon) that I'm excited about.

nib95

Banned
Lol, why did he re-tweet that? Rushy, now you're obligated to give us a new vid with lots of cars on the track!

Top Bottom