• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is lining up again, this time for Pokémon XY!

Vire

Yeah, those console versions of MonHun are really dragging that shit down...

Oy, the brand has survived every shitpile that Ambrella has ever made, it will survive a full-fledged RPG experience at home.

It's not about damaging the brand, it's about putting the resources they have (which Game Freak is admittedly pretty small) to its best use, which is obviously making handheld Pokemon titles based on the sales.

I'd like another Pokemon Snap though for Wii U.

Laieon

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Black and White 2, but I'm getting X.

Just waiting on a buddy to get here then we're heading out to GameStop.

vareon

l_5258b96a9a28a_zpsdbd0e667.jpg

l_5258b542ee639_zpsc64071ba.jpg

l_5258b54312e7d_zps84df903a.jpg

l_5258b968a98e5_zpsfe55e973.jpg

l_5258b96961877_zps3527def4.jpg

Dat Streetpass.

Terrell

It's not about damaging the brand, it's about putting the resources they have (which Game Freak is admittedly pretty small) to its best use, which is obviously making handheld Pokemon titles based on the sales.

Then you tap another studio on the shoulder to do the grunt work and leave the conceptual work to Game Freak. Which they can easily do.
It's not like this is some unprecedented Herculean ordeal. Even Nintendo themselves have farmed out to assist their primary creatives to great success in the past.

Sats

Banned
It's also sad to see that they took a step backwards from the more daring and possibly "dark", Black and White storyline to the more traditional and familiar adventure Pokemon story.

So, the
millions of Pokemon dying
isn't dark?

Vire

Then you tap another studio on the shoulder to do the grunt work and leave the conceptual work to Game Freak. Which they can easily do.
It's not like this is some unprecedented Herculean ordeal. Even Nintendo themselves have farmed out to assist their primary creatives to great success in the past.

Well at that point, then you DO run into the risk of damaging the brand because you aren't having the original creators making it.

I don't really want a console Pokemon RPG unless GameFreak is making it.

So, the
millions of Pokemon dying
isn't dark?

Not particularly, nor is it very interesting.

Black and White was interesting because it challenged the idea that keeping Pokemon in captivity was cruel. Turning the tables onto the player making them question if they are the bad guys.

wmlk

It's this and what I said. It would damage the brand. Note that there hasn't been a "full fledged" iteration of the Monster Hunter series on consoles. if they were to put effort into a real Pokémon RPG made by Game Freak with Super Mario 3D World-esque graphics, that would be a waste and would diminish the lustre of handheld games.

I am totally down for something like Snap and cross-play interactivity (like MH).

harmonize

It's also sad to see that they took a step backwards from the more daring and possibly "dark", Black and White storyline to the more traditional and familiar adventure Pokemon story.
BW were bogged down by too much inane dialogue at every turn and any new town. I don't expect the plot to be as barebones as Red and Blue since the basic gyms to league, evil team, and competing rival plots aren't exactly as fresh as they were the first time Gamefreak used them, but at least give me some breathing room and let me retain that sense of unbound adventure.

And from what's been shown by spoilers, there are definitely some dark moments in the new games.

All of u lucky people getting to play at midnight while I have to sit here for 9 more hours for my gamestop to open. I am seriously thinking of giving up on a physical copy and just dling it at 12.

harmonize

All of u lucky people getting to play at midnight while I have to sit here for 9 more hours for my gamestop to open. I am seriously thinking of giving up on a physical copy and just dling it at 12.
Join the digital master race and leave your physical trappings to the fools who don't know any better.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It depends on what you value in terms of new content.

Do you want Mega Evolutions or new more Pokemon? I'll personally take the latter every time, because to me, Mega Evolutions are nothing more than minor temporary rehashes of old Pokemon.

Mega Evolution is a new feature to the series, while adding pokemons has been what they have done since the first game.

wmlk

BW were bogged down by too much inane dialogue at every turn and any new town. I don't expect the plot to be as barebones as Red and Blue since the basic gyms to league, evil team, and competing rival plots aren't exactly as fresh as they were the first time Gamefreak used them, but at least give me some breathing room and let me retain that sense of unbound adventure.

And from what's been shown by spoilers, there are definitely some dark moments in the new games.

Writing should still be a lot better. I expect Pixar-esque writing from Pokémon games and I am not kidding when I say that. These games appeal to all ages and there should be a story and script for all ages.

I want more stuff like Marowak in Pokémon Tower, like forced evolution of Magikarp in the Lake of Rage, the selling of Slowpoke Tails in Azalea, etc. Also keep a fair dose of happy moments like being with your friends and whatnot like this game already has.

What I mean by Pixar-level writing are stories like what you can find in Up:
Carl's wife Ellie having a miscarriage and Carl being stuck in the past from the death of Ellie.

Better world-building is the exact thing that would make sense for Pokémon, especially since the protagonist as a mute.

Riki

Nintendo of America ‏@NintendoAmerica
Congrats to Zoe for being the first to purchase #PokemonXY at @Nintendo_World! pic.twitter.com/Z70nlpMHNP

BWWSIgDIUAEOM2x.jpg

Have you been keeping up with the spoilers? There's an element of darkness in there.

Garraboa

This will be my first Pokemon buy since Silver, so maybe a decade ago.

I did play Ruby on PC

Are you me? It's my first one since silver too! I gotta wait a week for it to get here, though (ordered with other 3ds games that weren't in stock at the time)

LocalE

I don't see a Fuck ton of American people lining up for madden or call of duty. Anyway first pokemon was released like in the 90s, franchises usually lose their popularity. I could understand kids right now playing their first pokemon. But from the pics I see 20 to 30yr olds. Don't they get sick of the same Shit?

That's a nice touch, capitalizing Shit. lol

Whoo, got my X.

No line ups here in Aust. but most of the game stores are only stocking 1 copy on shelves and getting them from the back on request.

Must be selling like gangbusters and saw a few people buying new 3DSs too around the shopping malls.

Good signs for Nintendo here!

Terrell

Well at that point, then you DO run into the risk of damaging the brand because you aren't having the original creators making it.

I don't really want a console Pokemon RPG unless GameFreak is making it..
Game Freak WOULD be making it. Who the programmer is doesn't seem nearly as relevant if the producers and directors are still on board. Much like the new Smash isn't lesser than because Bandai Namco is doing the heavy lifting. In fact, by all accounts, it looks to be the opposite currently.

When the Smash brand is "devalued" by outside assistance, you may have a point.

Lumyst

That's a nice touch, capitalizing Shit. lol

image.php

Oh and this one will also be my first Pokemon game since Pokemon Gold. I did get up to Brawly in Ruby though. I'm going to get Y, my brother will get X, and we'll compete against each other. It'll be a blast I'm sure, and a kick in the nostalgia for me.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Goodness gracious, looking good. I'm looking forward to Nintendo's press release :)

Nintendo of America (Reggie) will most likely comment on Monday on how well sales have been and the reception of the 2DS. Looking forward to it.

Teknoman

Do Japanese people love to play the same game over and over? Monster hunter and pokemon sequels have so little difference with their predecessor.

ih5YwU35u5LiW.gif

Not true at all. If anything, the various iterations of SF II would fit that. And even then, there are enough differences to make you feel like there is a reason to mess around with any.

Either way, there are tons of differences in gameplay in both MH and Pokemon. Sure the base is the same, but the same could be said of ALL large series.

DS has around 150 million units sold worldwide to date.

3DS has sold 33 Million worldwide to date.

X and Y won't do half the numbers that Black and White did.

Not even half? It won't sell as much as Super Mario 3D Land or Mario Kart did? I bet it breaks 10 million before the end of the 3DS' life cycle.

abrack08

No pics but I'm at the midnight launch in Austin, there are just about as many people here as the Modern Warfare 3 launch I went to a couple years ago, and the employees said it seemed like as many or more people than were here for GTA. Pretty cool, I thought it would be closer to the FFXIII-2 one, me and 4 other people, haha.

Top Bottom