• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My one-year old son was bit by a pit bull last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqwarlock

I was bitten by a dog, unprovoked, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, it did not puncture my skin, just bite marks through my jeans.
it's owner end up paying 1200+ medical expenses and 600 conpensation. I felt terrible for the owner.
Dog are beasts, don't treat them like human beings.

Why did the owner pay compensation if it didn't injure you? Mental distress?

yea, that's pretty fair.

you could pull a bone out our sheltie's mouth with no problem at all. they knew it was a one strike policy against humanity. extremely good dogs

You could do the same with my dog in regards to her food. She's incredibly well behaved around children. My two year old niece accidentally pulled on her ear really hard one time, and my dog just yelped. Afterwards my dog looked at my niece like "... why did you do that to me?!" with these sad ass eyes. lol My dog also doesn't take it as a challenge when you look her in the eye, which is why she gets along with kids. They can be on the same level. My son never leaves the house without my dog, because my dog treats my son like she's in charge of protecting him. It's cute. But she's also like that cause of how she was raised. A lot of people treat their animals like shit. We treat my dog like she's part of the family, so she receives the same love, same scolding, etc. It makes a HUGE difference.

JoseJX

Oh really? I've yet to hear about anyone having their Labrador retriever sink its teeth into a kid's face.

ANY DOG CAN BE DANGEROUS (warning, the pictures are a little graphic) Sorry, I didn't realize that DailyMail was banned and there are other examples on the previous page.

People need to be aware of dogs, even small ones.

I'm not suggesting that people should be terrified of dogs, but it's an animal, not a stuffed animal and should be respected as such.

No Love

Banned
My son was about 2 when we rescued a mastiff/shar pei mix puppy. They played together all the time. My son got bit twice on top of the head, not bad, just puppy playing. At the ER the doc just glued it up along with the hair, it was crazy looking lol. You got to watch your kids around dogs/puppies.

What the fuck am I reading? Twice? The doctor had to glue up the bite?

I love my dog. My dog bit my wife. But it bit my wife because she was dragging my dog out of the house, by her neck, when my dog was throwing up. We obviously still have the dog. I could see situations like this where the dog shouldn't be put down. With that said, I read the OPs story about how it happened... ugh. I don't know that I'd bring my 1 year old to any house with a pit bull, and I've owned pitbulls. Animals and babies are not a good mix most of the time.

I'm more concerned that there are apparently a lot of kids in and out of that house and that the grandparents don't seem to want to do anything about it.

I can totally understand about the dog biting your wife. Dog was just being defensive.

But when a dog attacks a kid, unprovoked... smh. Totally agree with you about animals and babies.

J_Lee

Banned
Defaults back to Rottweilers. They were enemy number one for a while. I'm a Rottie owner so I have bias. Beyond proper training, my boys formative years were spent socializing like crazy (children of all ages, adults and other dogs). I'm comfortable putting him in any situation but he wouldn't be off the leash in a new environment and would never be unsupervised, especially around children.

Yup then it would be another breed, then another, I am a Pit Bull owner like you I have socialized the hell our of her when she was young and take the proper precautions with her. It kind of sucks when people want to condemn a breed when, there are responsible owners out there. It just gets under my skin.

Did you guys even READ what I replied to?

Here, I'll quote it again

If he does that, he has the chance of not only alienating his wife's parents (which at this point, fuck them) but also starting a shit storm in his own house with his wife. If I was the OP my kid would never go over there again. Problem solved. If the grandparents want to see their grand child, come to the house. Otherwise, fuck off.

But saying the op should just go get the dog put down is amazingly short sighted, for a number of reasons. First, if the grandparents don't want to put the dog down then the op charging in there with animal control, or stealing the dog or some other shit to get it put down would turn a horrible situation into one that would be completely fucked. Second, it creates a huge rift with the parents of his wife. Which would then start to affect him, especially if the wife didn't back up the choice he made. It would be bad all around.

Again, you guys really need to read what I REPLIED to. Making a decision like "Fuck it, I'ma go kill my in-laws dog" isn't some black and white choice that wouldn't have consequences. Hopefully the wife is on the same page as the OP in regards to never having the kids over there.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Yeah, it'd probably not turn out well if he took matters into his own hands and put the dog down himself. I'm just blown away that the grandparents don't wanna do that themselves.

Yup then it would be another breed, then another, I am a Pit Bull owner like you I have socialized the hell our of her when she was young and take the proper precautions with her. It kind of sucks when people want to condemn a breed when, there are responsible owners out there. It just gets under my skin.

It's an emotional issue so logic goes out the window. You can show them all the good science in the world that shows that pit bulls aren't especially aggressive and they'll cling to confirmation bias and junk science.

NSFW-ish pictures.

http://www.*****************/news/a...-injuries-Labrador-savages-Poole-Harbour.html

Didn't realizes Daily Mail was banned.

EDIT:

Here, another one:

http://www.9news.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=65161

Here we go, another one:

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=1295350

It's almost like other dogs besides pit bulls do this.

Well now I've heard of people getting attacked by labs. Though it seems really unusual, as they are supposed to be among the most docile dog breeds. Coming from experience (I've had labs basically my entire life) they won't snap even if you deliberately try to provoke them.

ANY DOG CAN BE DANGEROUS (warning, the pictures are a little graphic) Sorry, I didn't realize that DailyMail was banned and there are other examples on the previous page.

People need to be aware of dogs, even small ones.

I'm not suggesting that people should be terrified of dogs, but it's an animal, not a stuffed animal and should be respected as such.

Fix the link please.

I don't understand how the pit bull breed isn't a factor in all this. I don't hear many(if at all)stories about other breeds attacking people at random. Is it just media bias?

I hear "bad owners" as the cause, there's no bad owners of other breeds which don't seem to attack as often? Only bad dog owners buy pit bulls?

All dogs can bite, how many dogs go for the kill and latch onto your head like that?

A lot of the stories I read sound like the owners were good and responsible and still the pit bull(with no history of aggression) suddenly snaps one day and attacks.

Jeff-DSA

It's an emotional issue so logic goes out the window. You can show them all the good science in the world that shows that pit bulls aren't especially aggressive and they'll cling to confirmation bias and junk science.

It's the bite that's dangerous. A pit bull's biting power is far greater than what you get from a lab, a beagle, or some other breed. I don't mean to just single out pit bulls though. I feel the same way about rottweilers and dobermans. They need to be regulated to some degree.

I think a lot of pit bull fans are understanding the gun argument right now. Responsibility can remove risk and danger, but under the right circumstances, bad things can happen. Only extremely responsible owners can make sure that those circumstances never materialize (and yes, I support gun ownership for responsible people).

The problem with dogs is that it's just too easy to get one and raise it incorrectly. Be it a lab or a pit bull, it can be dangerous. But compared head to head, that pit bull is capable of far more damage output than that lab.

Jak140

Pit bulls are just another media scapegoat. Another simple way for humans to avoid understanding a complex issue and taking responsibility for their own actions. Every major veterinary association, from the ASPCA to the Humane Society says the same thing, that pit bulls are not any more dangerous than any other large dog breed. Unfortunately, because of the reputation placed on them by the media over the years, bad owners often choose pit bull like dogs and any attack by a large dog is reported as being a pit bull because it is more sensational (even though the animal's bloodline is rarely if ever verified):

“pit bull” is not a breed of dog at all, but rather a generic term typically used to group three breeds of dog and their mixes: the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT), American Staffordshire Terrier (AST), and Staffordshire Terrier (ST). The ruling expressly excludes “cross-breds, pit bull mix, or cross- bred pit bull mix” dogs. Unfortunately, many people guess at whether a dog is a “pit bull” based on appearance, and they are wrong more often than not. According to a recent study by the Maddie’s Fund Shelter Medicine Program at the University of Florida, shelter staff identified 55 of 120 dogs as “pit bulls,” but only 25 were actually confirmed through DNA testing as having either APBT, AS, or ST heritage; the others just had an appearance that made staff mistakenly believe they did. The staff also misidentified 20 percent of the dogs as non-pit bull type dogs when they actually did have APBT, AS, or
ST blood. This study underscores how even experts can be misled by appearances.
Imagine, then, the challenges this ruling poses for landlords, judges, and others who will be in the impossible position of trying to determine which dogs are “pit bulls.”

Scientific evidence presented by nationally recognized sources (including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Veterinary Medical Association, and other independent entities) reliably demonstrates that dog breed is not a key predictive factor in dog bites. A dog’s propensity to bite is actually the product of numerous factors including early socialization, living conditions, and the owner’s choices (failure to have their dog neutered, for example, or chaining their dog outdoors). Moreover, there is no truth to the myth that certain types of dogs have locking jaws or other sinister traits. While all domesticated dogs have been selectively bred to enhance characteristics like hunting and herding ability, they share the same basic physical structure and communicate with the same signals and language. For these reasons, efforts aimed at increasing public safety by singling out one breed/type of dog have never been successful. Instead, efforts to protect the public from dog bites must be preventative and comprehensive in nature, and extended across the board to the owners of all dogs.

Humane Society

No Love

Banned
It's the bite that's dangerous. A pit bull's biting power is far greater than what you get from a lab, a beagle, or some other breed. I don't mean to just single out pit bulls though. I feel the same way about rottweilers and dobermans. They need to be regulated to some degree.

I think a lot of pit bull fans are understanding the gun argument right now. Responsibility can remove risk and danger, but under the right circumstances, bad things can happen. Only extremely responsible owners can make sure that those circumstances never materialize (and yes, I support gun ownership for responsible people).

The problem with dogs is that it's just too easy to get one and raise it incorrectly. Be it a lab or a pit bull, it can be dangerous. But compared head to head, that pit bull is capable of far more damage output than that lab.

You also gotta remember this: my gun(s) aren't going to go out on their own and attack people.

An unstable/ill-trained dog, especially a bigger, more aggressive breed, can go out and do serious damage of its own accord. So while it can be compared to gun ownership on some merits, the whole 'inanimate object vs living creature' thing also makes it an unfair comparison.

Jeff-DSA

You also gotta remember this: my gun(s) aren't going to go out on their own and attack people.

An unstable/ill-trained dog, especially a bigger, more aggressive breed, can go out and do serious damage of its own accord. So while it can be compared to gun ownership on some merits, the whole 'inanimate object vs living creature' thing also makes it an unfair comparison.

Very true. I'm just trying to find some common ground here, but it's not a perfect 1:1 comparison.

No Love

Banned
Very true. I'm just trying to find some common ground here, but it's not a perfect 1:1 comparison.

It's a hard thing to compare, I think. Also, very sorry for what happened to your son. My son is a bit over 1.5 years and I have almost smashed my aunt's small dog which snapped at him a couple of times. I hope everything works out OK and that he recovers with minimal scarring/trauma.

I wasn't trying to call you out specifically. I don't disagree with what you're saying about responsibility, I just think that's not the conversation people are having. I was more so talking about previous posters where one guy posted some junky study about one urban hospital and another just said the breed needed to be ended. Things like that where brains go out the window and no one is having a conversation anymore.

Jeff-DSA

We do have a dog as well. Here's our little monster, Bowser.

3784020536_3ba4d98e91_b.jpg

In the end, this was a close call that was aggravating and annoying. It will teach our son some caution, however. It's a bad way to learn it, but both my kids know very well what dogs are capable of. They crawl all over Bowser and he's fine with it, but now they understand that dogs are like people, and they're not all big, dopey, and playful creatures.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck am I reading? Twice? The doctor had to glue up the bite?

I can totally understand about the dog biting your wife. Dog was just being defensive.

But when a dog attacks a kid, unprovoked... smh. Totally agree with you about animals and babies.

Yeah about 3 months apart. Just kind if a tiny gash, from the sharp puppy teeth. I would have just put some peroxide on it, but my wife took him in. The doc said it happens all the time.

Draxal

I think this isn't so much a pit bull debate (I'm in they attract to many asshole owners camp) but more your in-laws being utterly irresponsible.

If they want to keep the pet, they better have a stronger plan for keeping him away from kids (the nephews/nieces you mentioned). And it's something I would get a concession from or severe ties, because its pretty stupid.

When I saw the title of the thread I knew the GAF witchunt on a breed of dog will begin

You guys are the ignorant hive mind of society. Thought you guys were different smh...
Then again I should have known better from countless other threads

Takuan

^ Wow, that was a quick judgement.

Yeah about 3 months apart. Just kind if a tiny gash, from the sharp puppy teeth. I would have just put some peroxide on it, but my wife took him in. The doc said it happens all the time.

I'm surprised you still let him play with the dog after that.

We do have a dog as well. Here's our little monster, Bowser.

In the end, this was a close call that was aggravating and annoying. It will teach our son some caution, however. It's a bad way to learn it, but both my kids know very well what dogs are capable of. They crawl all over Bowser and he's fine with it, but now they understand that dogs are like people, and they're not all big, dopey, and playful creatures.

That's cool, man. I'm glad everyone is ok and that's what you're taking away from it.

RM8

I really think some dogs are perfectly safe. My 15.5 years old dog (who died last July) absolutely never attacked anyone. I know it doesn't sound rational, but I truly knew he would never do it, and with total confidence I'd tell people he was harmless. He was half poodle and half maltese. His personality was simply not that of an aggressive dog, at 10 years of age I introduced him somewhat irresponsibly to a young rabbit and he just licked him (I still separated them as soon as I noticed).

Bleeeh, I'll never have such a great dog again. It's better to be safe than sorry, I guess, as you simply can't generalize based on one dog.

Ok, here's the full story...not quite as vicious as originally relayed, but still ridiculous.

My wife had Jason (our 1-year old) in the bathroom with her. She was taking him with her to avoid letting him walk around the house by himself. She had been doing this the whole trip, actually. Anyway, our 4-year old, Tyson, was out in the living room on the couch, playing with his tablet. My brother-in-law, who is 15, was playing Xbox on the couch next to him.

Jason started pounding on the door, wanting out. My wife had put the dog out, so she called out to Tyson and told him to watch Jason for a minute. It was literally going to be less than a minute. Jason walked out to Tyson and was watching him play. Someone went and let the dog in, and it came up to my kids. My brother-in-law at this point was supposed to put her back out, but he kept on with his game.

My older son, grabbed Jason's hand and started to move him back, because he'd seen us move him away from the dog the whole time. When he pulled on Jason, the dog snapped. Luckily he was pulling on Jason, because it caused it to just graze him rather than clamp down. At that my wife was coming back into the room and she grabbed Jason and my brother-in-law had pulled the dog back. My father-in-law was on the other side of the room and he was just dumbfounded.

Scary situation, and it's more of a close call than something serious. Thank goodness.

Here he is late last night, after he got treatment. He has another puncture lower on his cheek, which is the one that will scar. That one next to his eye should not. The cut on his forehead most definitely will scar.

S2lD2cal.jpg
fuck that dog

neoism

I love dogs to death, my favorite animal... but if it has the stupidity to bit me. I will kill it where it stands...

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I love dogs to death, my favorite animal... but if it has the stupidity to bit me. I will kill it where is stands...

Stupid question, i live in the UK anyway

Can you just take a dog in to be put down for whatever reason?

neoism

Stupid question, i live in the UK anyway

Can you just take a dog in to be put down for whatever reason?

no no I've had 4 dogs in the past 20 years and 3 have died...
Misty died at 19 years she was old and in real bad shape.. mom took her to the vet without telling me.. :(
Mickey died at 9 years poisoned by something he ate.. I cried for days... my favorite dog ever
Chole died last November she had stomach problems... I buried Mickey and Chole myself... made them a nice grave. <3

My dog now is Zander 2 year Rat Terrier doesn't afraid of anything. :p
I meant what I said though I'm talking about a real bite.. I would fuckem up.. but I've always had a ways with dogs...

<3 Dogs
Like dogs more than people lol ;p

Flek

Banned
when i read the op today on my commute to work i got really really angry at the dog as well. But as a father of a 1 1/2 year old and owner of a big dog from one of those "bad breads" (no pit bull) i thought about the situation way more.

1. If my dog ever attacks my daughter ,like the ops did, his live is over. I love him very much but my kid is like 10.00000 levels above everything.

2. i would have been at the local hospital within not more than 10 min. after the attack.

3. if the dog is not mine but lets say my parents dog. And they won't remove him they wouldn't see my kid around their house ever again. In case of the op i would also seriously send a big big fuck you to the father in law and at least have a big debate with my wife if she still protects the dog too.

I don´t want to shit on you op but honestly, not taking you kid to the hospital right after the attack is seriously bad parenting. Even if it might have been expensive - so what? The kid is worth way way more than any money in the world.

yeah but whatever

edit:
NSFW-ish pictures.

http://www.*****************/news/ar...e-Harbour.html

Didn't realizes Daily Mail was banned.

seeing those pictures, thinking this would be my kid i would seriously go wild at the dog and its owners, no shit.

commedieu

Banned
Misty died at 19 years she was old and in real bad shape.. mom took her to the vet without telling me.. :(
p

I had a black lab named Misty. Went to camp, came back, no more Misty. Dad took her to the vet. Shame, seems that dogs named Misty get shafted.

Pit bulls are just a a another media scapegoat. Another simple way for humans to avoid understanding a complex issue and taking responsibility for their own actions. Every major veterinary association, from the ASPCA to the Humane Society says the same thing, that pit bulls are not any more dangerous than any other large dog breed. Unfortunately, because of the reputation placed on them by the media over the years, bad owners often choose pit bull like dogs and any attack by a large dog is reported as being a pit bull because it is more sensational (even though the animals bloodline is rarely if ever verified):

Humane Society

Tons of truth in this post.

Got bit by a dog tonight!

It was a yip yip chihuahua type dog.

It's name is Barkley. I call him 'Bitely"

Did it hurt? Well, I don't know how to explain it. I laughed it off with a smile, but If I were 11 or younger, I probably would have cried. lol

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The basic rule is not to let small children around any dog. Kids don't know at that age that you shouldn't pull on a dogs ears or the like. Only incredibly well trained dogs should be allowed near kids that young, and even then, with extreme supervision.

Yes.

This is my biggest fear of having a child. You want them to grow up close with your pet and have them develop a mutual fondness of each other like in the movies.

but the reality is more like this. It just takes one isolated incident to set off what could be a lifetime of preventable consequences.

Not that it means much but you have my sincerest condolences OP.

Really hoping that there's no long term issues with your son as a result of this.

Edit: saw the update. Glad it's not as serious as it could have been.

but I mean that the dog even drew blood is a reason to be concerned.

Definitly the dogs fault and not the fault of anyone who let a one year old hang around with an 80lbs animal with sharp teeth.

Yup. Definily the dog.

I don't care how friendly the dog is. If there's a fucking BABY around, you put that dog in a kennel.

DrSlek

yes, but pit bulls were specifically bred to combine the physical dominance and aggression/speed of the bulldog and terrier.

I recall also reading that Pit bulls don't give off as many "warning signs" that humans would recognize as signs of agitation compared other dogs... basically we don't as easily recognize when a pit bull wants to be left alone or to be given some space.

Sort of like how people think hippos are "yawning" when they're actually baring their teeth at you and telling you to step the fuck off.

People would be very surprised what dog body language means.

Many of the signs that a dog is upset can also mean other things. It is important to look at the totality of the dog&#8217;s body language rather than at only that one signal. For example, a dog licking its lips might just be licking its lips, or it might be anxious. A dog blinking rapidly might have some eye irritation or might be nervous. A dog yawning might be tired, or agitated. A dog scratching might have an itch, or might be upset. If you see several of these behaviors one after the other, it is more likely that you are seeing a stressed out dog.

A dog yawning and turning its head away as you approach will often mean it wants you to leave it alone. If that is ignored, the more common signs of aggression might show. The baring of teeth, and growling. Maybe even a bark. But even these signs can be barely noticeable to a human.

In addition, many people think a dog wagging its tail is happy. In reality it actually means it's alert. However, dogs don't pant unless they're relaxed. So if a dog is panting and wagging its tail, you can safely assume it's in a friendly mood. The mistake people make is thinking that a dog with a wagging tail is safe to approach. It may not be the case at all unless you know the other body language signs to look for.

Pezking

Dogs and infants just really don't mix. It's a recipe for disaster.

This.

All adults involved in this scenario are at fault.

We have a Golden Retriever whose mother works as a therapy dog with handicapped children. Our dog is very friendly towards children, but we would never leave her alone with a kid. Ever.

Thinking that a dog and a child would get along just fine without adult supervision is incredibly stupid and indeed a recipe for disaster. Don't blame the dog prematurely, pretty much every pet would be overwhelmed when put into a room alone with 2 kids present. Especially if they aren't used to having children around them. This situation should have been avoided at all costs by both the dog's owner and the parents.

I'm not too fond of pit bulls myself, but this accident we're talking about here could have happened with pretty much every kind of dog breed.

SummitAve

Banned
Safety isn't just some common sense shit, you need to give it the reverence and thought it deserves. This kind of accident, which could have easily cost a life, is preventable.

tmarques

This is the third time in my life now that someone close to me has been injured by an unprovoked attack by a pit bull that was hailed as being so sweet and loving right up until the moment they attacked.

So two people close to you had been bitten by seemingly docile pit bulls and yet your wife thought it was ok to leave her 1-year-old child within reach of one? Seems like everyone in that room but the child and the dog were to blame, starting with your wife.

geebee

Banned
Finally some sensible posts placing blame on the dog owners and parents.. and not a flood of "fuck that dog" or "fuck that pitbull rip 'em all apart!"..

iamtheb

I'm six pages in on the thread, but one of the worst things about it is that so many people are damning the dog ("Kill it! Euthanize the breed!") when we've heard one side of the story. Maybe the kid poked the dog in the eye? Maybe something else happened? Then again, what OP said could be true, too. Just remember, there are three sides to every story: yours, theirs, and the truth.

EDIT: I've now seen the full side of the OP's story but for people to shout "KILL THEM ALL!" from the original post, a small paragraph from a justifiably upset parent, is a bummer.

verbum

From yesterday:
By Alexis Stevens

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A woman was in stable condition after being attacked by two dogs Thursday afternoon in Henry County.

The woman, whose name was not released, was bitten in the Windsong Plantation subdivision in Stockbridge as she walked her own dog, according to Sgt. Joey Smith with Henry County police. She was flown to Atlanta Medical Center, where she underwent emergency surgery Thursday afternoon, police said.

The victim’s poodle was also attacked and taken to a local veterinarian for treatment, police said. Another one of the victim’s dogs was temporarily missing, but later located.

Investigators initially were unsure who owned the two dogs, described as “pit bull-type” breeds, that attacked the woman.

“They were roaming freely in the neighborhood,” Smith told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

But the owners were located Thursday evening, Smith said. It was not known if criminal charges would be filed.

Around 1 p.m. Thursday, a neighbor witnessed the attack and called 911, according to police.

Both dogs involved were put down, Smith said. Rabies testing will be done on both animals, he said.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/woman-attacked-by-two-dogs-in-henry-county/nbXph/

I don't know every single detail and i hate speculation, but how come the wife never even thought of keeping the child far from reach from the dog in the first place?

DjRoomba

Banned
I agree. The kid shouldn't have been talkin' shit. Give that dog a mofuckin' Beggin' Strip for keepin' shit real.

Yep the defenseless/IQless dog and baby are either at fault here. Not them parents/supervisors/guys with enough sense to keep biting dogs away from infants

I love how OP's first priority was to come bitch on Gaf about it instead of, you know, take his son to get medical treatment. :lol

Keep dogs away from babies. They are on the same size level and dogs get really confused. Some react badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom