• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U version of Batman: Arkham Origins was developed by Human Head Studios

EDarkness

The thing stutters and drops like a motherfucker when grappling across the city. It's almost unbearable. It also has texture pop-in issues.

You're the first person I've read who's said anything like this. Everyone that I know who's played the game say it's much smoother and plays better than Arkham City. I'm not next to my Wii U so I can't check for myself, though.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Humanheadlogo.png

2050466-photo_oct_19__5_28_45_pm.png

The thing stutters and drops like a motherfucker when grappling across the city. It's almost unbearable. It also has texture pop-in issues.

The only thing even remotely close to this has been when grappling across districts and there's a half second pause as it caches that district. I don't have any stuttering or frame drops all over the place. I grapple constantly, I think I've used the batwing all of twice.

Tripon

More impressions would be lovely. I've only skimmed through the OT, but it seems that Wii U talk is very minimal there.
That is what I feel is really lacking in today's multi platform reviews. Reviewers in general will act like every version is the same and perform identically.

More impressions would be lovely. I've only skimmed through the OT, but it seems that Wii U talk is very minimal there.

Yeah, there isn't a single review listed on either Metacritic or Gamerankings, either. I can't believe none of the Nintendo sites even have a review up, considering that Arkham City was one of the higher profile launch titles. (I've been playing that all day, it still holds up).

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Is this exclusive to the Wii U-version? I have been thinking about getting this game for the Wii U, but might as well get it for the 360 if it runs better there.

Schnozberry

Is this exclusive to the Wii U-version? I have been thinking about getting this game for the Wii U, but might as well get it for the 360 if it runs better there.

I got the PC version free from Nvidia and my wife picked up the Wii U version as a gift not realizing I already had it. I cant return either digital purchase, so I just decided to compare them. The Wii U version is a pretty solid 30fps. I've noticed occasional frame drops with a massive amount of enemies on screen, but the game is very playable. The PC version has the same slowdown problems with 10+ enemies too. I haven't heard many 360 impressions, but the Wii U looks like the PC version on normal settings at 720p and ~30fps. I don't have any massive frame drops traversing the city. Maybe a digitial vs. disc loading difference?

nordique

Sounds like ps3 version tbh

Mine (ps3) has also crashed twice, some cutscenes start later or dialogue is skipped sometimes. It's annoying.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
That would've been bad after Aliens, or was that Gearbox's fault? Also source for them having worked on the Wii U version? Articles show they were involved with the game period, but I don't see anything about just them being on the Wii U version.
Someone told me around the time TimeGate closed up that they were handling the Wii U version. I would assume Human Head continued TimeGate's work and rushed the SKU to completion.

I got the PC version free from Nvidia and my wife picked up the Wii U version as a gift not realizing I already had it. I cant return either digital purchase, so I just decided to compare them. The Wii U version is a pretty solid 30fps. I've noticed occasional frame drops with a massive amount of enemies on screen, but the game is very playable. The PC version has the same slowdown problems with 10+ enemies too. I haven't heard many 360 impressions, but the Wii U looks like the PC version on normal settings at 720p and ~30fps. I don't have any massive frame drops traversing the city. Maybe a digitial vs. disc loading difference?

I'm on the disc here as well and don't have any of the framerate issues he's described, traversing the city goes fine.

So instead of the B team the WiiU got the C team?

Where did you get that from? You have multiple people in here not having framerate issues and one person having them. Honestly from everything I've read in the OT I'd say the PS3 and 360 have it much worse. The first patch for the PS3 version makes it damn near unplayable.

I've had no hard locks, no freezes, no falling through the ground, and none of the framerate issues that were in AC.

I'm about 50% through the story and doing a bunch of the side missions.

ahm998

Finish first boss in this game and no issue , it's running like piece of cake.

No screen tearing,no drop frame,no glitch until now.

By the way i don't understand why websites give this game less than 8/10 ??!!

Is it because of they remove open world & make it mission story?

Schnozberry

Spoiler alert: professional video game reviews are a crock of shit

On any sane ratings scale, this game would be a 7/10. It's very good, but it really doesn't break any new ground. Under the current scale of a 5 being an absolute calamity and 8 being a game that achieves mere competence, this game is a 9.

tim1138

I'm on the disc here as well and don't have any of the framerate issues he's described, traversing the city goes fine.

Where did you get that from? You have multiple people in here not having framerate issues and one person having them. Honestly from everything I've read in the OT I'd say the PS3 and 360 have it much worse. The first patch for the PS3 version makes it damn near unplayable.

I've had no hard locks, no freezes, no falling through the ground, and none of the framerate issues that were in AC.

I'm about 50% through the story and doing a bunch of the side missions.

Yep, I'm playing the disc version and have had the same experience as you. No glitches, freezing, broken environment stuff, nothing.

This post surprises me, as after reading through the OT, everybody seems to say the opposite.

I'll have the game in about 25 mins, so I'll see for myself soon.

I've had a few glitches as well. Such as being able to climb behind the execution chamber at the beginning and not being about to get out. Getting stuck by "falling" in a spot I'm not supposed to fall and just floating there, etc. All of this happened when I was just casually exploring and not looking for anything glitchy. I've seen people have issues with glitches on Miiverse too.

I just got done the cargo ship level, and I had a few framerate hiccups and stutters inside also.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After talking to more people, the Wii U version has the same momentary framerate hitches as the PS3 version for instance, when grappling around the city. Essentially, this game is nowhere near as polished, period, as Rocksteady's use of UE3. Unless you're on a powerful PC, it seems it is just not going to run as smoothly.

What the Wii U version apparently does better is it doesn't bog down into a generally low framerate during many sections, during large fights, etc. I believe Arkham City on Wii U had both much larger framerate drops when moving about the city, as well as a lot of full on slowdown during many scenes and big fights.

The takeaway seems to be: the new development team put more effects in, the modified version of UE3 cannot handle it well on consoles, and they were unable to optimize it.

In the video comparison between the WiiU and the Xbox 360 it's clearly visible how much better the lighting is on the WiiU.
While on the Xbox 360 the shadows are hard shadows, on the WiiU you have soft illumination implemented which gives a much better graphical result and an increased sense of realism.
If the framerate is also higher on the WiiU, and thanks to the gamepad use (not as good as on AC, but still much better than nothing) and the off-tv feature it's without any doubt the best console version of the game.

In the video comparison between the WiiU and the Xbox 360 it's clearly visible how much better the lighting is on the WiiU.
While on the Xbox 360 the shadows are hard shadows, on the WiiU you have soft illumination implemented which gives a much better graphical result and an increased sense of realism.
If the framerate is also higher on the WiiU, and thanks to the gamepad use (not as good as on AC, but still much better than nothing) and the off-tv feature it's without any doubt the best console version of the game.
Even if the Wii U version was slightly worse (which doesn't seem to be the case) it would be completely worth it for off TV play.

valouris

I really really enjoyed Prey, it's weird gravity mechanics, out there story, and creepy environments, but the game got panned critically I think, and it mustn't have done well commercially either. But I remember it fondly. The intro sequence was pretty awesome/crazy as well.

omonimo

Banned
Woah, examples?

To be a nintendo fanboy. It's a good example, isn't it? We don't know anything of concrete, for now. Will see if someone will care to write an article about that but with the next generation incoming face off have became not a priority from what I see lately

I got this version and I'm just too concerned about frame rate. It constantly drops to 15-20 fps especially when you're roaming through the city. Maybe it's a loading issue but it's very annoying.

Don't know if the other versions show the same problem.

Gamepad wisely used. By controls, the WiiU version is unbeatable.

Sorta funny since AC Armored Edition was cited as WB Montreal's way to cut their teeth on the series before doing Origins and then they can't even do the Wii U version of this

They were responsible for the 360 and PS3 versions. Some studios just don't have the resources for every platform.

TDLink

Based on the OT the following things could be surmised about this version:

• Best framerate on consoles. They all have some frame drops but Wii U seems to have the least. Overall it seems to be Wii U > 360 >>>>>>>>>>>PS3 in this regard.
  • No screentearing on Wii U.
  • Better lighting on Wii U compared to PS3/360.
  • All versions have glitches, including game breaking bugs but Wii U has less glitches than 360, PS3, or even PC with apparently no game breakers present. Including being able to actually do the Burnley tower correctly.
  • Plus Off TV Play.
  • Plus Map on the GamePad.
  • Plus Achievements Posting on Miiverse.
  • Minus Multiplayer.
  • $10 less.

Overall, of the 4 versions, it seems like Wii U may be the best version while PS3 is definitely the worst for now.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Can you post the comparison video?

Penguin

Based on the OT the following things could be surmised about this version:

• Best framerate on consoles. They all have some frame drops but Wii U seems to have the least. Overall it seems to be Wii U > 360 >>>>>>>>>>>PS3 in this regard.
  • No screentearing on Wii U.
  • Better lighting on Wii U compared to PS3/360.
  • All versions have glitches, including game breaking bugs but Wii U has less glitches than 360, PS3, or even PC with apparently no game breakers present. Including being able to actually do the Burnley tower correctly.
  • Plus Off TV Play.
  • Plus Map on the GamePad.
  • Plus Achievements Posting on Miiverse.
  • Minus Multiplayer.
  • $10 less.

Overall, of the 4 versions, it seems like Wii U may be the best version while PS3 is definitely the worst for now.
I wish you could use the map on the GamePad more.

As far as I can tell, can only navigate it. Can't set markers or use fast travel (unless missing it)

I also feel like missed opportunity with a few things. Like the crypto-device and the crime scene reconstruction scenes. Especially the latter being able to rewind/fast forward by hand would have been cool.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I got this version and I'm just too concerned about frame rate. It constantly drops to 15-20 fps especially when you're roaming through the city. Maybe it's a loading issue but it's very annoying.

Don't know if the other versions show the same problem.

Gamepad wisely used. By controls, the WiiU version is unbeatable.

I've had a few glitches as well. Such as being able to climb behind the execution chamber at the beginning and not being about to get out. Getting stuck by "falling" in a spot I'm not supposed to fall and just floating there, etc. All of this happened when I was just casually exploring and not looking for anything glitchy. I've seen people have issues with glitches on Miiverse too.

I just got done the cargo ship level, and I had a few framerate hiccups and stutters inside also.

Do you have the digital or retail version?

Top Bottom