• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's what PS4 game cases look like in real life

Atlas157

The Day One packaging for the Xbox One is super classy and should be the standard box. With the cases, the embedded Xbox One logo on the top is real nice.

Also, this

PastedGraphic-10.png

If only they would put as much effort towards the system itself.

nStruct

Neo Member
I like the PS4 cases much more than the PS3 cases. Might help that my favorite color is blue.

EDIT: Damn, those Xbone day one cases are classy.

Does not compute. PS3 game cases have the exact same width and height as Blu-ray movie cases. Thickness of movie cases varies. PS3 games cases are a notch or two above the minimum thickness.

It's not possible that PS4 games cases have different width and height, but still match Blu-ray case width and height. Because BR w&h = PS3 w&h, quite precisely.

I demand an explanation!

Watch the IGN comparison video. It's pretty in depth and shows that the PS4 boxes are about the same size as PS3 except that the edges of the box are not rounded anymore and are more akin to regular DVD cases. Basically, If you were to stick a PS4 game into your shelf collection of PS3 games, the only thing that would really stand out is the color.

Surfaced

Neo Member
the XO cases actually are smarter.

The "Xbox One" branding is part of the case, so it is not printed on the cover art. This leaves more space for the cover art and I think it looks cleaner.

Kinda wish Sony would've done the same for PS4. Blu-ray movies have been doing it since the beginning.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

The "Xbox One" branding is part of the case, so it is not printed on the cover art. This leaves more space for the cover art and I think it looks cleaner.

Kinda wish Sony would've done the same for PS4. Blu-ray movies have been doing it since the beginning.

Yeah, and I like how slim they are.

Ricky_R

It actually wouldn't since it would be the same to have the logo implanted on the case with the cover art beginning just where it begins now. I do think the logo looks better on the Xbone case although I don't like the green.

Jim

Didn't know where else to put this, but this thread seemed the most appropriate.

Picked up Knack today, you can see the case, the inside, and the disc.

So Knack requires a minimum of 37GB and the only output listed is 1080p.

VanWinkle

It doesn't make more space, because on PS4 box art the printed material extends all the way to the top. There's still a tiny difference, because the made the logo area at the top bigger than on PS3, but it still won't be a very big difference.

Since its not cool to argue which console is better anymore, people on this thread have taken to fighting over Blue/Green and lousy placeholder images for game cases. LOL. Fanboys sure do die hard.

televator

I saw some IRL the other day. I like them. Only drawback its that inside art would be tinted blue. Which probably means we won't see any like PS3 had for exclusive games.

Tsundere

Banned
So Knack requires a minimum of 37GB and the only output listed is 1080p.

Yep looks like it, but it's not completely accurate, since it's missing the remote-play icon etc.

It renders 1080p native, and I believe is downscaled if you have a lower resolution monitor.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Saw both PS4 and Xbone cases in person today. PS4 ones are similar in quality to the PS3 ones, just blue - same thickness and whatnot.

Xbone ones have a bit of a frosted plastic look on the top and they are somewhat thinner and don't feel as sturdy as the PS4 ones.

Midas

Anyone know where I can find Killzone except Gamestop? Their international shipping cost is a bit steep. I would've used Amazon but they don't have it yet.

but are the blu-ray discs black... like PS1 cd's were...? because that would be maximum boss............
r1619551259900199.jpg

I would love this. As far as the cases go, I think the PS4 banner at the top is too big. Wish they'd give more thought to maximizing box art like old SNES boxes:

jM8pGSal.jpg

Still the best.

PS2BBOX.jpg

What exactly is at all that great about the box? I'm an enormous PS fan and have owned every one so far, but the PS2 box love baffles me. It's just a blank blue box with nothing on it except the logo. Probably the most boring box for any console, and it doesn't at all do the system justice...

Danielsan

What exactly is at all that great about the box? I'm an enormous PS fan and have owned every one so far, but the PS2 box love baffles me. It's just a blank blue box with nothing on it except the logo. Probably the most boring box for any console, and it doesn't at all do the system justice...
It's minimalist iconic design. I absolutely love that box design. It doesn't feel like you're buying a toy.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

It is clean simple design. It is a huge statement for a company to make not having any images of the actual console on the front of the thing.

It is really really great.

geebee

Banned
Around the launch of the PS2, it would be pretty rare to see one of these sitting in a store. They were sold out for quite some time. Think of it as a golden egg.

Wasp

The blue PS2 box was fantastic. Really cool and classy. After I bought my PS2 I put the empty box on my desk which is where it remained for like 2 years. Mainly because I was too lazy to move it but also because it was just too cool and badass to throw away.

JP

You made custom covers for ps4 games already? Anyways, even if the case is BD sized, seeing as how its lacking the blue bit on top; if you covers are sized for that they probably won't fit anyway.

I'm willing to bet the PS4 cases are just blue versions of these. The case is the exact same size as a BD case but without the plastic bit on top, allowing for larger artwork

CTM2007_original.jpg
They could be, the Criterion blu-ray cases are the same size as the standard blu-ray cases. They're a custom design manufactured by Scanavo. I'd prefer them to make them clear but that won't happen.

Top Bottom