• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

Pop

CM4LJlH.jpg

I play from 30ft away, that picture looks clear as day to me.

This is why I have such a problem with a large number of the industry people on this site. They only stick to threads that concern their occupation and they are only there from a PR standpoint. I feel that having members that are entirely PR is not needed for this forum. People like Albert can stick to twitter.

That's why many try to stay anonymous so they can speak openly.

This is why I have such a problem with a large number of the industry people on this site. They only stick to threads that concern their occupation and they are only there from a PR standpoint. I feel that having members that are entirely PR is not needed for this forum. People like Albert can stick to twitter.

But then we'd miss the opportunity to stick it to them when it becomes clear that they're totally full of shit. I'd say it's worth letting them in just for the satisfaction of maybe seeing them banned for bs.

Piggus

To be fair to Tim Dog (can't believe I'm typing this) he was actual quite fair and 'balanced' in that twitter feed with Aaron Greenberg

He admitted that 1080p native is strictly better than 720p and admitted his disappointment at the XB1 failings in that regard as it were

I almost feel sorry for him as you can see the weight this year must have had on him and he just seems defeated at this point

That definitely says more about Microsoft than it does about Tim Dog imo. >_<

Even the most hardcore fanboys are questioning their mighty lord's design choices.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'll be back. You're right, I should talk about it.

Most of us wonder why you guys even started talking about an issue where you cannot possibly win anything, not to mention the many nonsensical, strategical tech-related talking-points that you came up with like "the power of the cloud", "balance" and "outputs 1080p".

You know he can't answer stuff like that. I say it's cool he's here but let's not expect something of him that he just can't fulfill.
The reality is, if he can't talk about such things, he never should have waded into such discussions to begin with and tried to downplay the potential differences. That goes in general for Microsoft's messaging; stick to your system's strengths - specs isn't one of them.

Milennia

I'm in now way say his job is easy but for him to talk out his ass or outright lie is stupid and then for him to come here and attempt to peddle his bullshit double speak well sophomoric doesn't even begin to describe.

But cant he keep up the lie ( if its a legit lie that he didn't know about it) forever?
He lied about telling the truth, if he is telling the truth what more can he do to prove it?
Wont people just continue to call them lies? I understand that it hurts their image as a whole, but cant they just say that he didn't know about it and never speak of it again... Seems like theres no real way out.

Im not defending, I'm talking rationally.

Carlbeego

I just hate the fact that they think gamers are stupid.

"The eye can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps." Bullshit.

And now this resolution garbage.

Klocker

Once again Albert, thanks again for sticking around even when you are not appreciated by most.

You seem like a good sport under extraordinary circumstances. I've seen a lot of launches but the "new" internet and twitter has changed things drastically...it's crazy what people expect these days, demand even.

It was more fun in the old days when we waited and found things out on our own or in little trickles or as we actually experienced the machines and decided our opinions with our own eyes when we got the machines home..

Gator86

The reality is, if he can't talk about such things, he never should have waded into such discussions to begin with and tried to downplay the potential differences. That goes in general for Microsoft's messaging; stick to your system's strengths - specs isn't one of them.

But FUD is a strength of theirs. The more bullshit and misinformation they can sow, the better for them. Penello isn't here to answer questions. He's here to spout PR talking points and vague half truths.

Rhindle

Just ignore his posts if you're that offended, for Chrissakes. Is it really that terrible to get some involvement from platform holders here, even if you don't like what they have to say?

Some of the posts on these last couple pages ...

Wille517

Neo Member
But cant he keep up the lie ( if its a legit lie that he didn't know about it) forever?
He lied about telling the truth, if he is telling the truth what more can he do to prove it?
Wont people just continue to call them lies? I understand that it hurts their image as a whole, but cant they just say that he didn't know about it and never speak of it again... Seems like theres no real way out.

Im not defending, I'm talking rationally.
What I'm say is him and the other MS spin doctors are just continuing to compound the damage by opening their mouth in the first place, saying nothing is infinitely better them coming out with Tales from their ass and then getting caught in their own double speak and untruths.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member

And they paid for it, BIGTIME. The negative buzz (well sort of) surrounding the X1 just keeps on goin. Just let it go guys, it's really not worth it IMO. Not directed to you btw.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Tell me where on this site they could comment and it wouldn't go to complete shit as soon as they did. They're stuck unless they want to go to the OT.

The only one I've seen contribute on a regular basis is the creator of 5th Cell.

beast786

Once again Albert, thanks again for sticking around even when you are not appreciated by most.

You seem like a good sport under extraordinary circumstances. I've seen a lot of launches but the "new" internet and twitter has changed things drastically...it's crazy what people expect these days, demand even.

yea, it's TOTALLY crazy what people demand these days

Albert p said:
I will ask two questions of the detractors, honest questions.

1. What piece of information would you want that I could provide that would convince you there is not a huge delta in performance?
2. If it comes out after we launch that the difference between 3rd party games is maybe single-digit FPS between the two platforms, will I get an apology or concession?

nib95

Banned

It was more fun in the old days when we waited and found things out on our own or in little trickles or as we actually experienced the machines and decided our opinions with our own eyes.

What's crazy about expecting a bit of honesty? I don't expect Microsoft PR to come out and say the PS4 is more powerful, but don't try and downplay the differences and instead pretend there aren't any, or simply misinform or invent (cloud computing for graphics and 40x more power, Microsoft maths etc). At least not on a public forum like this where users know better.

As someone else said, just stick to your strengths.

Tell me where on this site they could comment and it wouldn't go to complete shit as soon as they did. They're stuck unless they want to go to the OT.

The only one I've seen contribute on a regular basis is the creator of 5th Cell.

Comment on the UI and kinect functionality?

Those discussions usually go pretty well although the whole representative UI video thing not so much I guess

Piggus

To be fair to Albert, what he can actually say is probably pretty limited. It's pretty unlikely that any employee of a company who's taking the time to interact with potential customers is going to say something like "yeah, our compeditor's console is way more powerful and games will look better on it." He probably should not have even addressed specs, or at least be honest and say that specs were not the top priority of the Xbox One or that the vision Microsoft had for the system was not to simply put out the most powerful hardware. He sorta backed himself into a corner by trying to get detailed about the specs and downplay the differences.... Which is not going to work on a forum with a lot of tech savvy people.

If Sony were in Microsoft's position I'd imagine they would do the same thing to some degree. I mean some of the PR spin when the PS3 was coming out was just as embarrassing. These companies need to be humble. Otherwise the fans will tear them apart.

Milennia

What I'm say is him and the other MS spin doctors are just continuing to compound the damage by opening their mouth in the first place, saying nothing is infinitely better them coming out with Tales from their ass and then getting caught in their own double speak and untruths.

Indeed, i too don't understand this.
I understand that they need to speak to attempt and fix the damage cause this year... But they way they are going about it, by stating things they may not even know is fact is just putting a bad taste in my mouth.

beast786

Just ignore his posts if you're that offended, for Chrissakes. Is it really that terrible to get some involvement from platform holders here, even if you don't like what they have to say?

Some of the posts on these last couple pages ...

Yes, it is a problem when they are using there inside information as fact to shill disingenuous information about rival product.

if Albert only acts like many great community managers of many developers here on GAF. No one will have any problem with his antics. This is his own doing. don't blame gaf

MogCakes

It was more fun in the old days when we waited and found things out on our own or in little trickles or as we actually experienced the machines and decided our opinions with our own eyes when we got the machines home..

I share your sentiment for the most part. Albert's got thick skin and I'm sure he's a stand up guy when not on duty. I feel nostalgic about older times with you, but it was because the circumstances were so different back then that they were simpler.

What an absolutely shocking turn of events. Klocker enters the fray to defend the FUD posts by an employee of his console manufacturer of choice. Do they pay you for this shit? I can't think of any other reason someone would defend the absolute misinformation that we've been fed from day one. Unless you're actually a sentient mushroom, in which case you'd love being kept in the dark and fed shit.

Have you seen CoD? I'm not exaggerating when I say it's almost indistinguishable from MW2.

You're right, we have two games on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of scope/scale in BF4 and COD. Both are 720p on the Xbox. I find it so hard to believe that COD can't achieve at least 900p on the Xbox that I think it has to be a development tools issue. There's no other explanation with COD looking as shitty as it does.

vcc

you think we are stupid?

With that reasoning 360 and xb1 are equivalent as both had cod at 60fps.

That 60fps is there as ps4 doubling your resolution requires four times as many pixels to be updated per frame. So, as a rough estimate, by decreasing your resolution for a factor 1/f, your framerate can increase up to f².

imagine the incredible framerate at 1p.

I share your sentiment for the most part. Albert's got thick skin and I'm sure he's a stand up guy when not on duty. I feel nostalgic about older times with you, but it was because the circumstances were so different back then that they were simpler.

You two do realize that without the internet most people even us dedicated fans on here would likely have to buy the consoles at launch (if we wanted to buy at launch) with so much less information on them going in right?

Why would you prefer to be less informed about an upcoming purchase that you have to live with for 5 - 8 years?

But I thought he wasn't a PR guy?
Are you sure he said that? Maybe we're just misremembering it...

First, people should understand – I don’t always know every detail happening with the program. Even though I run Product Planning (I'm not in PR!), that means we set the stage early for the features and HW, but a lot happens going through the development process. I stay very close as we approach launch, but I don’t always know the specifics when things change, so sometimes (frequently) I have to ask someone on the team. I also don’t run PR or Marketing, so I don’t see every piece of material that makes it to the public. In this case, there was an inconsistency between some small print on Xbox.com, and what I understood was happening – so I went to get more details.

Yes, I know. I was just saying it was awfully close to what really happens. It happened twice at TGS, actually. It gets frustrating.

Despite what everyone would love to believe, I'm not in PR, but I have been helping do demos - and I'll probably be on the road more before launch. If I *was* in PR, I'd probably do a better job watching what I say.

I don't work in Microsoft PR. I'm not sure why that's there, and I can't change it.

I do work at Microsoft, however.

He's clearly not PR, so I wonder why he can't explain why all the stuff he told us about his own product turned out to be bullshit.

Hey Albert if you're still there. What exactly did you mean when you said this (way back when)?

I Given the rumored specs for both systems, can anyone conceive of a circumstance or decision one platform holder could make, where despite the theoretical performance benchmarks of the components, the box that appears &#8220;weaker&#8221; could actually be more powerful?

But I thought he wasn't a PR guy?

I asked that question twice now and he's disappeared each time. This has to suck for him and most of the MS employees. They have to try to make the most of the crappy decisions their executives made. I honestly want to know the answer. I'm not looking to throw sand.

Klocker

brofist for the good old days. :)

madmackem

How dare people being more informed and demanding more for their money.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah and the PS2 could run the game at 60fps if you made it 240p with no effects of any kind. Doesn't mean there isn't a huge delta in performance.

Sheesh MS employees sure are good at being unlikeable. That hubris and stubbornness from the majority of their front facing people.
Not true. Ps2 delivered a huge number of 60 fps games many of which were the most impressive looking games on the system. They certainly weren't limited to 240p.

Hey Albert if you're still there. What exactly did you mean when you said this (way back when)?

Given the rumored specs for both systems, can anyone conceive of a circumstance or decision one platform holder could make, where despite the theoretical performance benchmarks of the components, the box that appears “weaker” could actually be more powerful?

Easy take a hammer to the PS4 and bam weaker console is more powerful

Yeah, I'll just copypasta what I've said before:
The idea that he or Jaffe or J Stevenson or Pachter or any of the other industry people who post on here should be held to any different standard or given any special treatment is odd.

If they choose to post here, their posts are subject to the same scrutiny as everyone else's.
What an absolutely shocking turn of events. Klocker enters the fray to defend the FUD posts by an employee of his console manufacturer of choice. Do they pay you for this shit? I can't think of any other reason someone would defend the absolute misinformation that we've been fed from day one. Unless you're actually a sentient mushroom, in which case you'd love being kept in the dark and fed shit.
552.gif

Top Bottom