• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

edit: nevermind

I hope they get the shooting right this time. U3 shipped with bad reticule aiming, which they had to fix with a patch. I still have no idea how the hell they got this wrong with the previous game had it so right. :/

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Uncharted 3 is not a bad game. Even at its worst it's a competent action/adventure that I had a lot of fun with - more so than many other games I played during 2011. Now I'm not saying U3 is perfect, it does lack some of the setpiece and story cohesion of U2, and definitely suffered slightly due to its rushed release date, but it still has a lot of charm, and most of all (imo) it's enjoyable. I think part of the problem is that people hold Naughty Dog at a much higher standard than their competition. Which, on the one hand is flattering, but on the other hand means they get called out on for a lot of crap that other devs get away with.

This isn't a problem. It's an honor. Only Nintendo is in the same realm (on a much higher plane though).

Uncharted 3 was a massive drop in quality from 2 and DF. Sure it looked better but everything else felt broken and soulless. But honestly I blame Sony for rushing Naughty Dog.

I disagree that it was soulless. It had the most personal story out of all of them. I don't consider it broken, but it did play vastly better after the patch.

While Uncharted 2 was the best game of the generation IMO, Uncharted 3 was still a top game this gen. It was only a let down in the sense that it wasn't as good as 2. The second game had better gun fights (overall) and far better puzzles. Although, I have to admit the massive castle yard gun battle was one of the highlights of the entire series in 3.

Jac

Neo Member
Uncharted 3 was a massive drop in quality from 2 and DF. Sure it looked better but everything else felt broken and soulless. But honestly I blame Sony for rushing Naughty Dog.

Soulless in what way? Because I find it to have the most soul of the entire franchise. Ignoring the bigger symbolism throughout the experience, the small touches such as drake actively shielding his eyes from bright lights, swatting flies that are buzzing around his face, and the natural way Drake turns added more than all the gunfights and set piece moments of Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves combined.

Some overreaction. Soulless? Wtf lol. The things that were wrong with UC3 is that it played it too safe, trying not to veer off the path set by UC2. It had little changes to the winning formula, and the small changes were for the worse. They shouldn't have touched the character model of Elena and the shooting mechanics and left it as it is from UC2. They could've improved other things like the melee combat. UC3 is a great game, it just didnot have the same impact as UC2 but how could any game be even better than the near perfect UC2?

UC3 always gets this ridicilous hate, as if its one of the worst games ever, while it just couldnt match UC2.

Since it hasn't been posted yet:

"Every Betrayed us all" is not an incomplete sentence, Every is a name, Henry Every, he was a very famous British pirate in the 17th/18th century. And the guy speaking is probably Robert Drury, his ship wrecked in Madagascar and he was trapped there for 15 years exactly what this teaser shows. These events also happened in the 17th/18th century, so he must be seeking revenge from Every.

Spinluck

UC3 is my favorite.

I hope they work on improving the hand to hand combat in the next title.

The multiplayer was a step down from UC2 in a lot of areas. Split screen was cool though.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I've loved all the PS3 iterations of Uncharted and am definitely looking forward to a PS4 game as well, especially if Amy Hennig is involved.

Keep up the great work Naughty Dog - I love it all.

Soulless in what way? Because I find it to have the most soul of the entire franchise. Ignoring the bigger symbolism throughout the experience, the small touches such as drake actively shielding his eyes from bright lights, swatting flies that are buzzing around his face, and the natural way Drake turns added more than all the gunfights and set piece moments of Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves combined.

Apparently you have a very unique definition of someone calling a piece of media soulless if you think that some animations show that it isn't.

GQman2121

Banned
The Yeman section in U3 was great. Up there with the best they've ever produced.

The boat graveyard and ship....not so much.

The villains were also very underdeveloped. They were good, but never took that next step to being really menacing or memorable.

I've enjoyed all the Uncharted games. Even the little I played of Golden Abyss on a friends Vita.

Now Uncharted 3 was a let down in some ways but it was still a fantastic entry that more than met the high standards of the other games in the series. The characters were actually my favourite of all 3 main games, the set pieces were the best despite not fitting as well into the story, the location variety was fantastic and the supernatural elements felt less forced and made more sense. I think the only issue I had was the dodgy shooting mechanics when the game shipped, which sort of ruined my first play through, that's now been fixed. Oh and the story is a bit all over the place but it has flashes of brilliance and was a nice conclusion to the PS3 trilogy.

I'd rate them Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 3 > Uncharted DF.

Can't wait to see what Naughty Dog brings to PS4. I'm sure they will deliver as always and perhaps without the same insane deadlines imposed on them we'll get something equal to TLOU or UC2. But if it's 'only' Uncharted 3 quality I'll be more than satisfied as it'll still be better than 90% of other TPS.

This isn't a problem. It's an honor. Only Nintendo is in the same realm (on a much higher plane though).

I should have taken more time to clarify my thoughts in my previous post. To expect developers to deliver a quality product is fine, we should all expect this for somethign we pay good money for. Ultimately my point is that I believe Uncharted 3 is a good game, even with the occasional dips and hiccups in regards to story and frequent enemy encounters the final product delivered fun. Perhaps it's not as satisfying in comparison to U2, but it's nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. To have your expectations so ridiculously sky-high that a game such as Uncharted 3 could ever be considered lazy, soulless, (dog)shit, garbage, terrible, broken, worst game ever, is just ridiculous. I know, I know, avatar quote etc, but these are all things I've seen said on GAF and it baffles me, especially when I feel Naughty Dog are making my favourite games this past gen.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I dont think this is going to be just another Uncharted game. I feel like its going to be a complete overhaul. I bet they're gonna take a lot from TLOU.

And after this Uncharted, I bet this team moves to a new IP.

Robot Pants

I should have taken more time to clarify my thoughts in my previous post. To expect developers to deliver a quality product is fine, we should all expect this for somethign we pay good money for. Ultimately my point is that I believe Uncharted 3 is a good game, even with the occasional dips and hiccups in regards to story and frequent enemy encounters the final product delivered fun. Perhaps it's not as satisfying in comparison to U2, but it's nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. To have your expectations so ridiculously sky-high that a game such as Uncharted 3 could ever be considered lazy, soulless, (dog)shit, garbage, terrible, broken, worst game ever, is just ridiculous. I know, I know, avatar quote etc, but these are all things I've seen said on GAF and it baffles me, especially when I feel Naughty Dog are making my favourite games this past gen.
Yep. Anyone saying U3 is awful, bad, dogshit, etc is just overreacting. Even if you don't care for it there's absolutely no way to call it a BAD game. Not even with opinions.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Since it hasn't been posted yet:

"Every Betrayed us all" is not an incomplete sentence, Every is a name, Henry Every, he was a very famous British pirate in the 17th/18th century. And the guy speaking is probably Robert Drury, his ship wrecked in Madagascar and he was trapped there for 15 years exactly what this teaser shows. These events also happened in the 17th/18th century, so he must be seeking revenge from Every.

This sounds great!

Rising_Hei

They have more developing time for Uncharted 4 and new technology to use to gain the "WOW" factor UC3 didn't have :)

I have faith in these guys even if the heads up from the first two Uncharted games are in another team

I think in Uncharted 4 you should play as Sir Francis Drake and he should look exactly like Nathan Drake except with an old white beard.

dr_rus

I dont think this is going to be just another Uncharted game. I feel like its going to be a complete overhaul. I bet they're gonna take a lot from TLOU.

And after this Uncharted, I bet this team moves to a new IP.
And the best ideas keep coming. Do a complete overhaul of Uncharted (why?) aaand move onto a new IP (what's the point of the overhaul then?).
I bet that it's gonna be just a new Uncharted game and I bet that it's not gonna be the last one from ND. How about that?

Jac

Neo Member
Apparently you have a very unique definition of someone calling a piece of media soulless if you think that some animations show that it isn't.

Its more than animations. Character development, symbolism, along with the little details that make it more lifelike and real. All of it comes together like strokes in a work of art.

Regardless, small details mean a lot. Attention to detail is something I greatly respect, and something that rarely happens in this industry. So yea, I think those animations go a long way in helping to show the soul of the game.

Bebpo

Banned
When I told my casual gamer friends about this, their reaction was "you can't have an Uncharted game without Nathan Drake! He's Uncharted. That's like Mario game without Mario."

I kind of agree. I bet it's not a period piece game and instead is a modern day Nathan Drake uncharted about the ghost of those characters. Maybe there will be flashback chapters to the past or some really cool next-gen feature where the world switches between the present and the past on the fly, but I'd be pretty surprised if there was no Drake and no Nolan North.

Jac

Neo Member
When I told my casual gamer friends about this, their reaction was "you can't have an Uncharted game without Nathan Drake! He's Uncharted. That's like Mario game without Mario."

I kind of agree. I bet it's not a period piece game and instead is a modern day Nathan Drake uncharted about the ghost of those characters. Maybe there will be flashback chapters to the past or some really cool next-gen feature where the world switches between the present and the past on the fly, but I'd be pretty surprised if there was no Drake and no Nolan North.

That sentiment holds a lot of franchises back. I have been behind the idea of an Uncharted featuring Cutter in the lead since I played Uncharted 3.

is this post satire or something

Bit of a shame as TLOU reminded everyone that ND had alot more to offer other than Uncharted.

Would have preferred that TLOU became their main IP for this gen, with the other team trying something new. I liked Uncharted 3 but it did start to feel a bit forced. Cant help but be concerned that ND are running out of ideas about how to keep the gameplay fresh.

This may just be one Uncharted to far, too soon.
There will be more TLOU.

This is nonsense. Must be heartbreaking for ND to hear comments like this.

Broken and soulless? Come on now.
I agree with the poster. UC3's final 1/3 story was laughably bad. I'm talking about Ninja Gaiden Sigma bad. They had an opportunity to source one of the greatest legends of 20th century: Lawrence of Arabia qnd it was a complete screw up. Yes it was soulless.

jester

Neo Member
I will be sad if the new Uncharted does not include Nathan, Elena, and Sully. For me, the characters are what make the series so enjoyable.

LastNac

I agree with the poster. UC3's final 1/3 story was laughably bad. I'm talking about Ninja Gaiden Sigma bad. They had an opportunity to source one of the greatest legends of 20th century: Lawrence of Arabia qnd it was a complete screw up. Yes it was soulless.
Lawrence's involvement in UC3 was tied to his archaeology, not his war exploits. How could they have sourced him any other way?

a916

I wonder what the uproar will be when this game is released and it's figured out it the game runs at 30FPS...

and here's the kicker, they'll have a good reason to

Top Bottom