• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bullshots: How close did PS4/XB1 games come to the E3 builds? Let's see!

Biker19

Banned
Launch game; 1080p/60fps target. Compromises had to be made.

Xbox One's hardware isn't powerful enough to properly handle Native 1080p & 60 FPS without big compromises/sacrifices.

Turn 10 should've at least had this game in 900p w/60 FPS.

Demon Ice

Banned
I haven't played Forza 5 yet, does the final game look anything like this?

ibpiUfkSfmTu8D.gif

Not during actual gameplay. The replay mode looks pretty close to that.

Edit: Minus the dynamic lighting. So no, I guess the final game never really looks like that.

antitrop

I bet half the doors in the game are going to be ajar; just because of that one action being implemented.

It's an Ubisoft game, of course they're going to take one moderately interesting idea and make it tedious and boring.

I hope Ubisoft is using the delay to get the game up to a level where it should be. They playfully took a jab at GTA V, but seemed to make the right decision and work on the game some more because of whatever shortcoming they perceived in comparison to what Rockstar had reveal.

That GIF is from The Division, not Watch_Doge.

Seriously? the first 3 posts i saw say that killzone matches 1:1? Its not even close, the clarity on the first building is no where near what the reveal was. not even close

I think Ryse actually looks much worse, I know it's a little too early to judge with no good sources at the minute though.

Also does any one think Ryse looks really jerky, animation wise, off watching the footage or is it just me?
No
iksW9HWCZ8ZYK.png

iB1hvlsgVaTip.png

Hey op, i found these screens that are much better quality if you want to add them.

Welp I'm not rewarding Turn10 for this shit, I'll cancel my pre-order for this game, I was already 50/50 on it, however now that I know they cut corners for a few things, I'll reward them by buying the GOTY version for $20!

Demon Ice

Banned
No
iksW9HWCZ8ZYK.png

iB1hvlsgVaTip.png

Hey op, i found these screens that are much better quality if you want to add them.

Is the one with his helmet on the E3 reveal or the release capture? The pic where he has his helmet on has higher resolution textures on the mountain on the left, what looks like more detailed armor (although that's hard to judge since they look like two different armor sets), and a chain mail under armor that's casting a pretty sweet shadow on his arm. It also looks generally sharper, image without the helmet looks blurred.

None of those are major differences that would pop out to me as I played the games but in a side by side they're noticeable.

Aurongel

Killzone actually matching its target render and everything else being bullshots really cracks me up as someone who remembers the non-stop debate on GAF about the Killzone 2 target render from 2006.

Kallor

Dat Killzone downgrade. The lighting and color looked more natural in the original, the waterfall seemed more pronounced/less flat, Reflections everywhere.

The AA seems a little better in the newer pic at least. And what happened to those clouds and the space ships in the newer build..

Uhyve

Is the one with his helmet on the E3 reveal or the release capture? The pic where he has his helmet on has higher resolution textures on the mountain on the left, what looks like more detailed armor (although that's hard to judge since they look like two different armor sets), and a chain mail under armor that's casting a pretty sweet shadow on his arm. It also looks generally sharper, image without the helmet looks blurred.

None of those are major differences that would pop out to me as I played the games but in a side by side they're noticeable.
Never mind the textures, where the hell is the lighting meant to be coming from in the second picture? There's a big ass shadow on the building in the background being cast by seemingly nothing. If the lighting is coming slightly diagonally from the direction of the camera (which the soldiers arm shadow suggests) then why are the front of the castle walls in shadow?

Am I taking crazy pills or does that whole picture make no sense?

Dat Killzone downgrade. The lighting and color looked more natural in the original, the waterfall seemed more pronounced/less flat, Reflections everywhere.

The AA seems a little better in the newer pic at least. And what happened to those clouds and the space ships in the newer build..

Seriously, people nitpicked the hell out of the forza difference but completely ignore massive ones in killzone. The reflections, the shrubbery on the ground its significantly less detailed, the individual floor seperation on the tallest building is no where near as clear as it was

I love how the bottom picture is jaggie free. The jaggies in the top picture are distracting as hell.

pestul

I think KZ:SF and Ryse look equal/better than the earlier builds. I will never agree with anyone who says that KZ2 looked as good as that E3 demo. It's easy to pick a LQ screen, but that BS reveal was all about the fluid motion.. way too cg and never matched in the final.

Gestault

If anyone wants an actual reference point for the final version of Forza 5, there's high quality footage up at Digital Foundry of both gameplay and replay footage. I grabbed some quick snips as gifs in another thread. There's nothing too fancy about these, they're from the standard replay angles from the retail release.

ibofOagciDBvHn.gif

ibrAOcYHXG4INj.gif

iGsA3JBTbsrAI.gif

Also, bonus roadside insanity gif that's a little larger, so I'll just leave that as a link.

Worth noting the changes to trackside detail from reveal to release. From my overview, the examples below were representative of the majority of the track detail changes. They're taken from direct-feed gameplay and the highest-resolution available from the gameplay reveal. Elements were moved around a lot, but the tendency was to have both geometry and texture-work improved from reveal. There are also some instanced where buildings in certain stretches saw less window detail, or particular shadows were moved, but the overall impression was more realistic lighting (at the expense of videogame-style color saturation and contrast).

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

StevieP

Banned
Y'know other than the insane resolution and AA, I'd say the final game looks better.

Running with much higher image quality with higher resolutions and higher levels of detail and post processed effects require, you know, more hardware grunt than what is available. That killzone looks great is the result of guerrilla's fantastic artistry, but super sampled reveal footage with crazy AA means "bullshot"

Oh my God this thread delivered the goods.

LMAO at all the Forza crowd nonsense and photoshopped crowd shots. Bravo GAF! Made my day...

Citizen_Kane_slowclap.gif

KZ got some massive upgrades. And some minor downgrades (edit. well from uber high res press shots res ofcourse took major hit :D.
Ryse is way bigger mix of downs and ups. Looks great anyway (at least when not getting too close to anything. Not holding up as well upclose)
EA is lol. Forza paid some hefty price for 1080/60.
Needs more comparasions.

rise looks more blurry now than during the reveal.
Forza looks, worse hahaha that crowd!

killzone looks better now than at the reveal IMPRESSIVE

Forza:

That crowd...

PVp0oTL.jpg

You can even see it in the shot up there. Look at the crowd. The E3 one is all shaded and not obvious. The launch one is all shit straight out of Mortal Kombat 1.

Could it be that The Cloud wasn't done loading the spectator polygons, textures, lighting, and AI reactions?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Madden and NBA Live are the only real insults. And neither of those are surprising.

The Forza crowd is pretty hilarious though.

Top Bottom