• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break uses "Digital Molecular Matter"; extremely versatile destruction system

Pretty cool read. Can't wait to see this in action.
Pixelux Entertainment announced today that Remedy Entertainment is the first to use the new Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) Playback System for high quality in-game destruction in their upcoming Xbox One Title, "Quantum Break". Microsoft showed "Quantum Break" during its May 21st Xbox One presentation as one of the launch titles for its new console..

DMM is a deformation-based fracture system that simulates the physical properties of any material using finite element analysis. If a structure exists - big or small, dense or thin, floppy or rigid - DMM causes it to react in the same way as dictated by reality. For example, wood doesn't simply break along a predetermined seam every time - rather, it bends and splinters into pieces from the point of impact. The same rules apply to any substance imaginable: rubber bends and snaps back into place. Glass shatters. Steel dents and bends. Plastic deforms. DMM can even simulate plants and organic objects through the adjustment of 14 different material physics settings ranging from toughness to volume preservation.

DMM has been incorporated into a Maya plugin that can be used to author very high-end destruction scenes. To date, over 20 feature films, commercials and even TV series have had key destruction sequences created using DMM technology.

The DMM Playback system allows 3-dimensional animations produced with the DMM plugin to be played back in-game with real-time performance. DMM Playback makes use of GPU-acceleration to minimize CPU overhead.

"DMM has played a key role in shaping Quantum Break, our vision of next-gen entertainment. We have been able to simulate complex scenarios on a scale that hasn't been possible before and then allow players experience them in real time. Can't wait to show the world more of what we're able to do!", said Mikko Uromo, Tech Team Lead at Remedy Entertainment.
http://www.pixelux.com/Remedy-QuantumBreak2013.html?id=20614102&siteID=123112&linkID=9242259

Fedelias

Bone needs all the exclusives it can get. Hopefully the TV tie-in thing is fresh and not gimmicky/weird/unnecessary.

It'll be interesting to see how this compares to what RAD is doing with The Order.

I hope we get more of this type of destruction this gen.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I guess Lucasarts' contract ran out.
This was pretty cool on last-gen hardware. Should be amazing now.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I can't wait for the Soft Body Physics that Ready At Dawn are doing comparisons. I'm glad the tech isn't just one game.

demolitio

When people complain about the small leap in next-gen games based off of launch games, I think of shit like this and wonder what they'll say about it then. There's much more to a game than just the standard graphical upgrades and this and The Order will prove that.

While some games will go with the standard upgrades and not venture into this stuff, plenty of developers WILL and it will expand gameplay in more ways than most graphical upgrades.

Salex_

That sounds unbelievable, can't wait to see it

Get outa here.

What's wrong with his statement? It's good that they aren't going to win in sales in any region because now they can't rely on multi-plats and Halo/Forza. They need exclusives to get people to buy the console if the TV thing doesn't take off. This is good news for Xbox fans.

On-Topic: This is the kind of stuff I hope we see in most of the upcoming next gen games! Can't wait.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This sounds super awesome and what I've always imagined destructibility in games aspired to. Want.

Force Unleashed sorta had something similar, no?

What's wrong with his statement? It's good that they aren't going to win in sales in any region because now they can't rely on multi-plats and Halo/Forza. They need exclusives to get people to buy the console if the TV thing doesn't take off. This is good news for Xbox fans.
Console wars bullshit has nothing to do with this thread, that's what's wrong with it.

"Bone needs all the exclusives it can get." contributes nothing positive to the thread at all.
Dunno why I even have to explain why that post is useless.

I guess Lucasarts' contract ran out.
This was pretty cool on last-gen hardware. Should be amazing now.

I remember DMM being talked up a lot in preview videos for SW: The Force Unleashed at the start of last gen, but after that i haven't heard about it anymore. I suppose it was also used in the sequel, but did any other games end up using it? Apparently it was used in quite a few high profile theatrical films, a couple of TV shows and some commercials.

When people complain about the small leap in next-gen games based off of launch games, I think of shit like this and wonder what they'll say about it then. There's much more to a game than just the standard graphical upgrades and this and The Order will prove that.
I think some launch games have already begun to show some next gen tech.
I haven't been following the XB1 side much, but I've seen KZSF implement some sound/lighting tech, Resogun with GPU compute and voxels, and Knack with...well, Knack lol.

Even then, I'm really excited to see what future games bring to the table aside from graphical upgrades.

Pixelux Entertainment announced today that Remedy Entertainment is the first to use the new Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) Playback System for high quality in-game destruction in their upcoming Xbox One Title, "Quantum Break".

I thought that Star Wars game from a few years ago used this system... made a big deal about it from what I can recall.

sn00zer

I wonder how accurate their FEM models are...stuff I use for engineering can get very computationally expensive even for simple structures

Sounds pretty ambitious. I guess this will be 720p then...

Also, a little envious that Xbone will have a "Quantic Dream"-ish genre game so early in its life.

tumblr_m5ofpy7zO81qcwic6.gif

I love simulated destruction. I see no reason why these new consoles can't pick up where Red Faction Guerrilla left off.
The tv half of this game is going to make or break it.
I want to believe that the gameplay will be good enough for me to power through what I imagine will be unskippable FMV with terrible acting.

demolitio

I think some launch games have already begun to show some next gen tech.
I haven't been following the XB1 side much, but I've seen KZSF implement some sound/lighting tech, Resogun with GPU compute and voxels, and Knack with...well, Knack lol.

Even then, I'm really excited to see what future games bring to the table aside from graphical upgrades.

I agree. Some people are a little more cynical than others. We already see the foundation of next-gen games and where they're going and now with each new game talking about complex physics, destruction, etc. it also means gameplay changes on top of the graphical boost.

I'm excited for the future.

I can't wait to see more of this type destruction. SWTFU use of DMM was far too limited due to the tech at the time to show what can be done. My hope of hopes is this gen we can finally begin yo venture forward with this tech. It is some truly amazing stuff.

Mask

Sounds like an updated and renamed version of the Soft Body Physics engine used in The Force Unleashed. By the time this releases, I'll probably have an Xbone as well, so I'll
take a look.

Perkel

Banned
They use it for baking or it is actual tech used in game realtime without baking.

I am asking because for example Ryse has also fancy tech but it is used for baking stuff

I agree. Some people are a little more cynical than others. We already see the foundation of next-gen games and where they're going and now with each new game talking about complex physics, destruction, etc. it also means gameplay changes on top of the graphical boost.

I'm excited for the future.
Yeah. This also makes me more excited for what RAD is working on with Soft Body Physics.

Salex_

Console wars bullshit has nothing to do with this thread, that's what's wrong with it.

"Bone needs all the exclusives it can get." contributes nothing positive to the thread at all.
Dunno why I even have to explain why that post is useless.

I interpreted it as "The Xbox One needs all the exclusives worth mentioning that it can get". Idk, maybe I should start seeing every comment as an attack on the Xbox One?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unicorn

They use it for baking or it is actual tech used in game realtime without baking.

I am asking because for example Ryse has also fancy tech but it is used for baking stuff

rendered real-time. There's some demo videos when this tech was first shown off for Force Unleashed pre-release.

Perkel

Banned
Nevermind in name there is Playback so obviously it is for baking purpouse.

Essentially stuff will nicely brake when developers will allow for it

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Buzzwords are nice but I want to see what it actually looks like, and not fake E3 footage.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't wait to see more of this type destruction. SWTFU use of DMM was far too limited due to the tech at the time to show what can be done. My hope of hopes is this gen we can finally begin yo venture forward with this tech. It is some truly amazing stuff.
Yeah I remember some distinct chugging in The Force Unleashed whenever I tried to chip through a bunch of trees. I wonder how this tech has evolved and what else the power today permits from it.

SparkTR

did any of these games have anything special due to this?

http://www.giantbomb.com/digital-molecular-matter/3015-3664/games/

haven't played both

They were touting a bunch of high-tech features before release (at least the original did) including DMM and dynamic animations. By the time I got around to playing it they were such an insignificant part of the package I forgot they were there.

If I had to guess why it wasn't more widely used, I'd say that the performance requirement wasn't worth the pay-off. It's something that's easily overlooked/ignored by most so developers were better allocating their resources elsewhere.

Top Bottom