• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

Fandangox

Well not just that, but during the battles themselves. There's almost always somebody talking whether it's "Dammit! Somebody capture that base!" or "Another enemy officer crumbles!" and so on and so on. Defeating 1,000 enemies and not hearing Link yell out "I am a true warrior of the Hyrule Kingdom!" is going to sting a bit.

If Koei threw in characters from other Zelda games the possibility of fan-service conversations would be mind-blowing.

Yeah I pointed out in the same post, this could be the first Zelda game with voice acting.

Yawnier

Banned
Are people really upset over Link having a scarf? I can't think of a single DW or SW game in recent memory that didn't have at least 1 or 2 alt costumes for each playable character.

Jofamo

I dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I'm getting strong vibes of pre-Skyward Sword Link from this game.

You know the one I mean, from the Manga that was included in Hyrule Historia? That link was a bad ass head knight with a cape, and fought in huge wars and stuff. That would be an awesome way to explain the plot of this game. Fighting the armies of Demise.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
An average Dynasty Warriors game gets release and it gets labeled shit/rehash. Slap some Zelda on it and you're good to go I guess.

NolbertoS

Hmm, Zelda as Dynasty Warriors seems OK. Not a huge fan of Dynasty Warriors, but willing to try it out. So did Nintendo announce a main storyline Zelda anytime soon??

First reaction was kinda like "holy shit!" for me. I like Zelda, but honestly I've always wished deep down in my heart that the combat was more full of action. Such combat obviously doesn't really belong to Zelda however, but as a spin off like this it'll hopefully work out well. Hopefully the combat will actually be somewhat varied and deep.

I really hope though that it's actually a cross over instead of basically just a dynasty reskin. I mean like, I wish that it still has a lot of Zelda elements, such as dungeons and puzzles (though the latter would obviously be more insignificant).

CorvoSol

1. ALttP Link
  2. SS Link
  3. Ocarina of Time Adult Link
  4. Ocarina of Time Young Link
  5. WW Link
  6. Spirit Tracks Link
  7. Twilight Princess Link

lol

Regular Link
Young Link
Toon Link
Zora Link
Deku Link
Goron Link
Deity Link
Wolf Link
Classic Link With 80s side burns
Bunny Link for laughs

"Nintendo is out of new ideas"
"Ok, here's a Dynasty Warriors X Zelda spinoff game"
"I don't like it when you have new ideas"

PmpUE1v.png

Everyone gets coal for Christmas.

Also, dunno if anyone noticed but maybe there's some sort of upgrade system in place. In one of the hq assets, Link has a white shield and then a blue one in another. Interesting.

Yawnier

Banned
First reaction was kinda like "holy shit!" for me. I like Zelda, but honestly I've always wished deep down in my heart that the combat was more full of action. Such combat obviously doesn't really belong to Zelda however, but as a spin off like this it'll hopefully work out well. Hopefully the combat will actually be somewhat varied and deep.

I really hope though that it's actually a cross over instead of basically just a dynasty reskin. I mean like, I wish that it still has a lot of Zelda elements, such as dungeons and puzzles (though the latter would obviously be more insignificant).

Yeah, I'm not sure if I would expect any puzzle in this to be any more significant then the Stone Sentinel Maze in each Dynasty Warriors game at the Battle of Xiaoting. It's almost always all about the combat being prioritized in Musou titles opposed to puzzles and whatnot.

ohlawd

I'm gonna be so mad if all we get for PCs are Young Link, Zora Link, Wolf Link, whatever Link.

Don't even joke around like that cuz it can totally happen.

Brizzo24

Regular Link
Young Link
Toon Link
Zora Link
Deku Link
Goron Link

Deity Link
Wolf Link
Classic Link With 80s side burns
Bunny Link for laughs

That's actually…kinda cool. I wouldn't mind these 'characters' because it would be less of a skin and actually force different powers/ultimately different tactics

Jarate

Banned
But I never called Dynasty Warriors repetitive!

I was just pointing out that those terms can be used for a broad range of games that it doesn't really apply too.
Many people will say that Dynasty Warriors is repetitive and easy and boring, because all they do is play easy mode and just hit X, even though the higher difficulties provide the meat and potatoes. Pokemon could easily be played by someone who has no clue of the meta and can easily be beaten if you just want to go through the elite 4.

This is no hatred on Pokemon, I just don't see why people give Pokemon a free pass from these concerns and not Dynasty Warriors

RPGCrazied

Hope this doesn't end up as Other M. But this style of game doesn't have much story to them, right? Not really got into this style of game before like Dynasty Warriors.

Toxi

Banned
I wouldn't expect Other M because Sakamoto's not working on it. If he was, you would have Link crying on the floor and begging Zelda not to sacrifice herself in a stupid way.

"Nintendo is out of new ideas"
"Ok, here's a Dynasty Warriors X Zelda spinoff game"
"I don't like it when you have new ideas"
Not exactly a new idea when it's a coat of paint on an old one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They have maybe shown this at an early stage to have something new to show. Looks like it will be great, but it is still quite rough around the edges. My five year old cheered though...(so did I a little)

I don't really know what to think... It's a spin off so I guess its cool.

What I like:

-Link's design. It's a nice blend of TP and SS link. (Love the freaking scarf of course)
-Magic based attacks. It's been far too long since those have been around.
-Massive battles with knights fighting along side. That should have been there since Twilight Princess.

Even though it looks early in development, there are things I don't like:

-All around style difference. The Bokoblins and Lizalfos are ripped straight from Skyward Sword, while the Dodongo looks like the one from OoT. Completely different styles. I hope they are going to redo the assets.
-Looks like a button mashing fest. Not really interested in that kind of gameplay.
-The AI doesn't seem to work very well. Enemies just kind of stand there, and the knights don't really do anything.

Jarate

Banned
Hope this doesn't end up as Other M. But this style of game doesn't have much story to them, right? Not really got into this style of game before like Dynasty Warriors.

Dynasty Warriors 8 has plenty of cutscenes and gives a pretty decent story (It's more of a fan service story for ROTK then anything)

So all the resources they had went to this? This Zelda dynasty warrior mash up. Trash. Idgaf how good this game is going to be. Everybody has been waiting for that Zelda standalone game from that tech demo. Wtf is this shit? Nintendo being Nintendo again.

An average Dynasty Warriors game gets release and it gets labeled shit/rehash. Slap some Zelda on it and you're good to go I guess.

I can't believe there are so many pages to this news. I played a few DW games, and they were shit, and this seems like a cash-in.

But hey, if the game sells a lot, then I'm happy for both companies.

JoeFu

Banned
So all the resources they had went to this? This Zelda dynasty warrior mash up. Trash. Idgaf how good this game is going to be. Everybody has been waiting for that Zelda standalone game from that tech demo. Wtf is this shit? Nintendo being Nintendo again.

Yup all 9 billion of that warchest is going into a game developed by tecmo koei

Fandangox

This is no hatred on Pokemon, I just don't see why people give Pokemon a free pass from these concerns and not Dynasty Warriors

My guess is because with Pokemon people play it for a variety of reasons. To beat the story, to collect all the pokemon and beat the pokedex, to breed teams and play competitively, etc.

For example I find the Pokemon main story in each game usually boring and its always the same thing for me, but I love the metagame.

I like dynasty warriors, but I don't think it has the same "wide approach" were people would play it for different reasons, thus it ends with more criticism since people expecting something out of it might not be balanced by something else in the game.

Jarate

Banned

every single rupee is going to be put into Zelda Dynasty Warriors
It's not like it's a crossover game that both companies would think to be beneficial!

It's not being made by Ninty. They are still working on the mainline Zelda game.

Yawnier

Banned

The Dynasty Warriors series has it's story based off Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which is one of the four great classical novels of Chinese literature (great read btw). DW7 and DW8 both did a decent job of adapting the story of ROTK all things considered.

CorvoSol

That's actually…kinda cool. I wouldn't mind these 'characters' because it would be less of a skin and actually force different powers/ultimately different tactics

Honestly I think that if you give each of them separate gear from their own respective eras it could work out nicely. Like "Modern" Link could have clawshots, Classic Link could have boomerang and Roc's Cape, Toon Link could have the Four Sword, Young Link could have sling shot. Link's got a wide enough arsenal that you could make his different incarnations play differently, but there's also all of Link's different forms: Zora, Deity, Deku, Goron, Wolf, Bunny, Flat and the like.

I mean it'd be cool to get like, Ralph and Zelda and Linebeck and Impa and so on, but if they're gonna go the all Link route, there's a wealth of things to do with that alone.

Top Bottom