• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Books. 50 Movies. 1 Year (2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.
LEQe5Zl.jpg

Archives:

Fellow GAFfers, a brand new year is just around the corner, filled with cautious optimism that better things await us all in 2014. Amidst the euphoric highs that accompany that new year smell, you’re liable to commit yourselves to countless resolutions that you have no chance of actually completing. Your tenth consecutive commitment to get into better shape is certainly commendable, but why not join us on a journey that will transfix your mind, broaden your horizons, and maybe even teach you a thing or two? Join us on the 2014 edition of the 50/50 challenge.

7dfJAzS.jpg

Rules & FAQ:
  • What are the “official” rules? - There aren’t any, just some useful guidelines!
  • What are those guidelines? - Simple! Read 50 books & watch 50 movies before 1 Jan 2015.
  • That sounds fairly simple. - Yes! That’s because it is.
  • Is this challenge easy? - Maybe! That depends on how dedicated you are. The books, in particular, require you to read fairly consistently throughout the year.
  • Can this challenge be completed? - Yes! We had eighteen winners in 2013!
  • Are there prizes for winning? - No! The reward is largely intrinsic in that the journey is the reward. Expose yourself to new ideas and go Good Will Hunting at your next party.
  • Are there penalties for losing? - No! Even if you fail to meet the 50/50 goal, you’re still very likely to consume more media than you ever have before.
  • Who tracks our progress? - You! Update your progress in the thread (using a format detailed below), and I’ll maintain a monthly update that summarizes all our progress.
  • Who verifies the legitimacy of entries? - Nobody! This contest is on the honor system. If you cheat, you’re only cheating yourself.
  • Do audiobooks count? - Yes! But allow me to suggest using audiobooks in conjunction with doing some actual, you know, reading. Reading is fun.
  • How long must a book be to count? - There is no strict minimum! Follow your conscience. Mumei posted last year that he doesn’t count anything under 100 pages, and that seems to be a decent guideline. Honor system!
  • What about long books? - Read them! As a rule of thumb, a book is a book. Some people like to count books that run over 500 pages as two entries. That’s acceptable, just be sure to indicate as much in your entry.
  • What about REALLY looooong books? - See above! If you choose to count 500+ page books as two entries, that’s on you. But you can’t count a 1,500 page book as three entries, and so forth.
  • Can I count school textbooks? - Yes! As long as you read the entire thing, it counts. But why would you even want to?
  • What constitutes a movie? - Like obscenity, you’ll know it when you see it! TV films, direct-to-video stuff, feature films...it all counts. Episodic content does not count (some exceptions exist, like the hour-and-a-half long Sherlock episodes).
  • How long does a film need to be to count? - See above! As long as it’s a film, I’d count it. Use your conscience.
  • Can I count a really long movie as two entries? - Negative, Ghost Rider! A movie is a movie.
  • Can I count stuff I’ve already read or watched? - Nope! Every entry needs to be a new item to you.
  • What about TV shows and video games? - I don’t care! Feel free to track them in this thread, but I won’t include them in the master list and they have no bearing on whether or not you complete the 50/50 challenge.
  • What is the rule on comics? - They’re awesome! This was probably the most frequently discussed rule last year. Bottom line: use your judgment. Individual comics are definitely OUT, but some people chose to count trade paperbacks (containing 5-6 issues) as a book. I feel those are too short to count as a book since they take 20-30 minutes to read, but don’t let my opinion shape the rules you set for yourself. A safe bet would be to count a completed series as a book. For example, I counted the full Rick Remender run of Uncanny X-Force (35 total issues) as a book. Others might not count that. Sue me.
  • Can I count a book that I started reading in 2013? - Maybe! If you are less than 50% finished with the book when the new year begins, count it. If you're over 50% done, but don't finish the book until the following year, you've entered reading purgatory and must read the entire Twilight series to restore your soul. Alternatively, you can follow your conscience on this one. Count it...or don't.

4Xtc62Z.jpg

Hints & Tips (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the book):
  • Prioritize reading early and often! Participants in last year’s thread watched twice as many movies as they read books, since the time commitment and mental effort tends to be significantly less on the film front. Theoretically, you could binge watch all 50 movies in a month or two and be done with that aspect of the challenge. If you’re reading a regular 300+ page book, that is unlikely to hold true on the book front.
  • Avoid “dead time.” My wife gets hooked on HGTV programs because when they finish an episode they cut straight to the next one without a commercial break. That’s their hook, and it’s quite effective. Treat reading the same way. Finish a book knowing what you want to read next and try to start it immediately. Even reading 10-15 pages might be all it takes to get you immersed in your next book.
  • Read every night as you fall asleep, or find time to squeeze in a chapter or two during break times at work. If you can read ~30 minutes to an hour a day, you should be able to finish the challenge quite easily (and maybe even early).
  • Lists can be super helpful! Goodreads, in particular, is a great way to track what you’ve read and what’s in your queue to read next.
  • Consider picking up a Kindle or e-reader of your choice. One very common trend you’ll hear among e-reader users is they actually read more and at a faster pace than they do with physical copies of books. That has certainly been my experience.
  • Check out some classics. Some stuff may be dated, but there are a ton of gems out there ready to be discovered by a younger generation.
  • Find your niche! I’m a science fiction and fantasy guy. I can blast through a 1K page fantasy book faster than I could ever finish a 300 page love story. Feel free to expand your horizons but know what’s in your current wheelhouse.
  • Ask for suggestions in this thread and monitor what others are enjoying. A few of the very best books I read or movies I saw were direct recommendations in last year’s thread.
  • Similarly, if you’ve discovered the best book/film ever, shout it from the rooftops! You might just sell us all on our next story.

bIPEZ6V.jpg

Updating rules:
  • Please update with the following format:
Tragicomedy - 22/50 books | 25/50 movies

Using the indent tab makes it easy for me to find your update. Some folks prefer a more elaborate update post listing all the content they’ve consumed and even providing ratings. Here’s an excerpted example from my 2013 list. Feel free to quote this post and steal the format for your own journey if you’d like.

Tragicomedy said:
Tragicomedy - 5/50 Books | 5/50 Movies​

Books

1. Peter S. Beagle - The Last Unicorn ★★★★★
  2. Glen Cook - The White Rose ★★★★
  3. James S.A. Corey - Caliban's War ★★★★½
  4. Brandon Sanderson - The Emperor's Soul ★★★½
  5. John Scalzi - Old Man's War ★★★

Movies
  1. Chasing Ice ★★★★★
  2. Elysium ★★★
  3. Les Miserables ★★★
  4. Lincoln ★★★★½
  5. Star Trek Into Darkness ★★★½

Organize it however works best for you. Some folks prefer to go chronologically. Some list page counts for books and run times for movies. I organized mine by author’s last name for books and alphabetical for movies.

SUPER IMPORTANT RULE!!!!1!!11!! Don’t go hog wild and spam a new update post every time you finish a movie or a book. Just go back to your previous post and edit in the updated information. That will make tracking your progress extremely easy for me when it comes to doing the monthly updates, which can otherwise become quite time consuming. In a perfect forum world, everyone would maintain a single master list of every title they’ve read or watched for the year and then just provide the an update with their latest count that links back to their original post.

That doesn’t mean I don’t want people to discuss the latest book they read or movie they watched. To the contrary, by removing the list spams in the thread I’m hoping to spur more open discussion about what people are enjoying. Last year’s thread became hard to keep track of since it became page after page of the same people posting massive lists. Let’s do better in 2014!

qxScXQv.png

Majors & Minors:
  • Do you like a particular author? Does a certain director’s work interest you? Big fan of our scientologist in chief, Tom Cruise? Consider embarking on a more thorough journey through their output in the form of a major or minor.
  • Major: All of one person’s body of work or 6+ of their works if they’re more prolific. You can also consume 6+ works on a particular theme.
  • Minor: At least half of one person’s body of work or 3+ of their works. You can also consume 3+ works on a particular theme.
  • Feel free to get creative on this front and share your goals with others. You can declare your majors/minors now. You can wait until you progress further to see what might interest you more. You can skip this step altogether.

“My dear,
Find what you love and let it kill you.
Let it drain you of your all.
Let it cling onto your back and weigh you down into eventual nothingness.
Let it kill you and let it devour your remains.
For all things will kill you, both slowly and fastly, but it’s much better to be killed by a lover.
~ Falsely yours” - Charles Bukowski

Current pace needed for completion (as of 1 January):
  • 50/50 books | 50/50 movies

GAF totals:
  • 3,621 Books
  • 7,510 Movies

Monthly Progress:
p5je3uo.png

Members who have completed the challenge:
  1. Glaurungr - 152/50 books | 168/50 movies (completed 27 March)
  2. TestMonkey - 75/50 books | 75/50 movies (completed 8 August)
  3. lastflowers - 64/50 books | 75/50 movies (completed 9 August)
  4. EverythingShiny - 55/50 books | 55/50 movies (completed 18 August)
  5. kinoki - 65/50 books | 99/50 movies (completed 24 August)
  6. TheWarrior - 50/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 17 September)
  7. Tragicomedy - 56/50 books | 59/50 movies (completed 9 October)
  8. Empty - 52/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 31 October)
  9. Reyne - 53/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 31 October)
  10. Lumiere - 119/50 books | 55/50 movies (completed 30 November)
  11. Jungleland - 52/50 books | 62/50 movies (completed 30 November)
  12. Maklershed - 52/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 17 December)
  13. besada - 51/50 books | 58/50 movies (completed 18 December)
  14. bggrthnjsus - 57/50 books | 51/50 movies (completed 27 December)
  15. DieUnbekannte - 50/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 27 December)
  16. Cyan - 77/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 30 December)
  17. Pau - 52/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 30 December)
  18. Shiv47 - 50/50 books | 53/50 movies (completed 30 December)
  19. Ashes1396 - 51/50 books | 63/50 movies (completed 31 December)
  20. mu cephei - 50/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 31 December)
  21. arkon - 50/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 31 December)
  22. Ephidel - 50/50 books | 188/50 movies (completed 31 December)
  23. kswiston - 54/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 31 December)
  24. Mumei - 132/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 31 December)
  25. Saphirax - 50/50 books | 50/50 movies (completed 31 December)
  26. Narag - 50/50 books | 268/50 movies (completed 31 December)

Master Tracker:

Newline

Gave the OP a thorough read, didn't attempt it last year but i'll be sure to give it a go in 2014 as I began reading again half way through 2013. Will update this post with the given format as I go! :)

Newline - 0/50 Books | 1/50 Movies
Books:

Movies:
Mandela - A Long Road To Freedom, 7/10

Ermc_G6

I'll go ahead and reserve a post here too. Here's to 2014!

Ermc_G6 - 2/50 Books | 2/50 Movies

Books:
  1. Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution
  2. The Quiet American

Movies:

Mr. Hyde

I didn't bother trying this last year but I've started reading more again while focusing on my writing and also consuming classic films I've never seen. I will reserve this post for future updates.

alazz

Cool, I'll give it a shot for sure.

alazz - 9/50 Books | 10/50 Movies

Books
  • Don DeLillo - White Noise ★★★★½
  • Voltaire - Candide ★★★
  • Fyodor Dostoevsky - Notes from Underground ★★★★
  • Olaudah Equiano - The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano ★★½
  • Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood ★★★★½
  • Fumiko Enchi - Masks ★★★
  • Marie NDiaye - Three Strong Women ★★★★
  • Walker Percy - Lancelot ★★★★½
  • Elmore Leonard - LaBrava ★★½
Movies
  • American Hustle ★★★★½
  • The Family ★★
  • The Raid 2 ★★★★½
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel ★★★★
  • Coneheads ★★★
  • Robot & Frank ★★★★
  • Solomon Kane ★★★
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past ★★★½
  • Wayne's Wolrd ★★★½
  • World War Z ★★½

The new year has been off to a great start with White Noise and American Hustle

Ovid

I got about a quarter of the way through the year updating the 2013 thread before I stopped.

Sign me up for 2014.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm definitely in again for 2014. I more than surpassed my movie and TV goals this year, but fell short of my book goal despite reading more in 2013 than in the last few years combined. I doubt I'll come anywhere close to reading 50 books next year, but I'm definitely going to try for at least 30.

My main goal for this year's challenge is to limit my media (sans books) consumption (which has gotten out of control in the last few years) by half whilst still expanding my, er, media horizons - just in a more limited manner.

RatskyWatsky - 21/15 TV | 14/40 Books | 70/60 Movies | 7/5 Games

TV

• Attack on Titan (1 season)
  • Battlestar Galactica (4 seasons)
  • Princess Jellyfish (1 season)
  • A Young Doctor's Notebook (2 seasons)
  • The Comeback (1 season)
  • Oz (6 seasons)
  • The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (1 season)
  • Little Britain USA (1 season)
  • Eastbound & Down (4 seasons)
  • Utopia (2 seasons)
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine (1 season)
  • Napoleon Dynamite (1 season)
  • Transparent (1 season)
  • Arrow (2 seasons)
  • Doll & Em (1 season)
  • Broad City (1 season)
  • Generation War (miniseries)
  • BoJack Horseman (1 season)
  • The Fall (1 season)
  • Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (1 season)
  • Lupin the Third Part One (1 season)

Books

• The Quiet American (Graham Greene)
  • Saga Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4 (Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples)
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Frank Miller and Klaus Janson)
  • Hawkeye Volumes 1, 2 (Matt Fraction, David Aja, Javier Pulido, and Alan Davis)
  • The End of the Affair (Graham Greene)
  • A Man Without a Country (Kurt Vonnegut)
  • The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Catherynne M. Valente)
  • Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
  • Berserk Volume 1 (Kentaro Miura)
  • Fables Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (Bill Willingham, Lan Medina, Steve Leialoha, James Jean, Craig Hamilton)
  • Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five (Kurt Vonnegut)
  • The Walking Dead Volumes 19, 20, 21, 22 (Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard)
  • Sex Criminals Vol 1 (Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky)

Movies

• ~ January ~
  • The Abyss (1989)
  • It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955)
  • Lady of the Night (1924)
  • The Croods (2013)
  • ~ February ~
  • Ghostbusters (1984)
  • Frances Ha (2013)
  • Escape from L.A. (1996)
  • Blackfish (2013)
  • Battle Royale (2000)
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
  • and the OSCAR goes to... (2014)
  • Thor: The Dark World (2013)
  • ~ March ~
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008)
  • Frozen (2013)
  • Easy Rider (1969)
  • The Glass Slipper (1955)
  • Three Coins in the Fountain (1954)
  • ~ April ~
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
  • Interior. Leather Bar. (2013)
  • ~ May ~
  • Stranger by the Lake (2013)
  • ~ June ~
  • Gravity (2013)
  • The Lego Movie (2014)
  • Alien (1979)
  • Aliens (1986)
  • The Place Promised in Our Early Days (2004)
  • Children Who Chase Lost Voices (2011)
  • Wolf Children (2012)
  • Escape from New York (1981)
  • ~ July ~
  • Fantastic Voyage (1966)
  • Le streghe (1967)
  • Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
  • The Bling Ring (2013)
  • Her (2013)
  • Pacific Rim (2013)
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
  • ~ September ~
  • Steam of Life (2010)
  • Panda! Go, Panda! (1972)/Panda! Go, Panda! The Rainy-Day Circus (1973)
  • Hols: Prince of the Sun (1968)
  • Chie the Brat (1981)
  • Gauche the Cellist (1982)
  • ~ October ~
  • Godzilla (2014)
  • Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)
  • Turbo (2013)
  • The Lady Vanishes (1938)
  • Make Mine Mink (1960)
  • The Square Peg (1958)
  • ~ November ~
  • Mad Max (1979)
  • The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008)
  • Kon Tiki (2012)
  • Easy Money (1948)
  • The Doll (1919)
  • Miranda (1948)
  • Mad About Men (1954)
  • Life Is Beautiful (1997)
  • M*A*S*H (1970)
  • Altman (2014)
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
  • The Lone Ranger (2013)
  • Heathers (1988)
  • Samsara (2011)
  • Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
  • Die Nibelungen: Siegfried (1924)
  • The Evil Dead (1981)
  • Evil Dead 2 (1987)
  • I Am Curious (Yellow) (1967)
  • I Am Curious (Blue) (1968)
  • ~ December ~
  • Mr. Peabody & Sherman (2014)
  • How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Games

• DmC: Devil May Cry (PS3)
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3)
  • Fuse (360)
  • Alan Wake (360)
  • Dishonored (360)
  • Resident Evil: Revelations (360)

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Failed a bit on the reading but caught a second wind of late. Going strong into the new year. This year I'm hitting 50/50. :)

params7

Banned
I easily watched a 100+ movies last year. But no books. Now that I'm out of college, hope to pick up the reading hobby again.

Rumble19

I like the idea of this. Count me in.

Rumble - 0/50 books | 3/50 movies

Books:

Movies:

1. Mean Streets (1973)
  2. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
  3. Man of Steel (2013)

Nathan Muir - 12/50 Books | 37/50 Movies

Books:

1. A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin
  2. Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis
  3. The Quiet American, Graham Greene
  4. God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, Christopher Hitchens
  5. The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins
  6. The Grammar of Conducting, Max Rudolf
  7. The Chomsky Reader, Noam Chomsky
  8. Hegemony or Survival, Noam Chomsky
  9. Interventions, Noam Chomsky
  10. Open Media Collection, Noam Chomsky
  11. Towards a New Cold War, Noam Chomsky
  12. A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking

Movies:

1. McLintock! (1963)
  2. Zulu (1964)
  3. In Harm's Way (1965)
  4. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
  5. True Grit (1969)
  6. Play It Again, Sam (1972)
  7. Manattan (1979)
  8. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
  9. Airplane II: The Sequel (1982)
  10. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
  11. Tootsie (1982)
  12. Top Gun (1986)
  13. Licence to Kill (1989)
  14. Regarding Henry (1991)
  15. Chaplin (1992)
  16. Jerry Maguire (1996)
  17. Lost in Translation (2003)
  18. Something's Gotta Give (2003)
  19. Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)
  20. Zoom (2006)
  21. The American (2010)
  22. Woody Allen: A Documentary (2011)
  23. Argo (2012)
  24. The Bourne Legacy (2012)
  25. The Citizen (2012)
  26. The Company You Keep (2012)
  27. Les Misérables (2012)
  28. Looper (2012)
  29. Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
  30. 42 (2013)
  31. Ender's Game (2013)
  32. Gangster Squad (2013)
  33. Gravity (2013)
  34. The Internship (2013)
  35. Iron Man 3 (2013)
  36. Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
  37. The Wolverine (2013)

Nymerio

I'm in again. I'll try to keep up with movies so maybe I'll even manage to go 50/50.

Question: Can we count books/movies if we re-read/re-watch?

jordisok

Wasn't a member last Jan but I'm in for this year :) will reserve this for my updates.

Loctope - 0/50 Books | 6/50 Movies​

Movies
  • Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part II - 2011
  • Arrietty - 2010 (UK dub)
  • 12 Years a Slave - 2013
  • The Raid - 2011
  • The Croods - 2013
  • The Adjustment Bureau - 2011

EDIT: Yeah I'm never gonna make this, forgot about it tbh :|

Just got a Kindle for Christmas. I'm ready for this.

metalslimer - 0/50 books | 3/50 movies

Book:

Films:

1. Elysium ★★
2.The Conjuring ★★★
3. Pacific Rim ★★½
4. Planet of the Apes​

Flek

Banned
Flek - 4/50 books | 13/50 movies || tv shows | games

Books

• The Circle - Dave Eggers ★★★★
  • The Road - Cormac Mccarthy ★★★★★
  • Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage - Haruki Murakami ★★★★½
  • Amokspiel - Fitzek, Sebastian ★★★
Movies

• Papadopoulos and Sons ★★★
  • King Curling ★★★
  • Drug Wars ★★
  • Carrie ★★★★
  • inside llewyn davis ★★★
  • that demon within ★★★
  • Kings of Summer ★★★★
  • Escape Plan ★★★
  • Wenn Inge tanzt ★★½
  • Still Walking ★★★★
  • Das Kind ★★★
  • Piranha 2 ★
  • Bad Grandpa ★★
  • Jack Reacher ★★★

TV Shows

Games

RobbieH

RobbieH - 4/50 Books | 19/50 Movies | 26/50 TV | 9/20 Games

Books:

1 & 2. A Game of Thrones (780 pages) - George R. R. Martin - ★★★★½
3 & 4. A Time to Kill (738 pages) - John Grisham - ★★★★

Movies:

1. Before Midnight (2013) - ★★★★½
2. Sherlock: The Empty Hearse (2013) - ★★½
3. The Master (2012) - ★★
4. The Cabin in the Woods (2012) - ★½
5. Rush (2013) - ★★★½
6. Fruitvale Station (2013) - ★★★★
7. Sherlock: The Sign of Three (2013) - ★½
8. 12 Years a Slave (2013) - ★★★★★
9. Sherlock: His Last Vow (2013) - ★★½
10. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) - ★★★★
11. Thor: The Dark World (2013) - ★★½
12. Gravity (2013) - ★★★★½
13. Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - ★★★½
14. American Hustle (2013) - ★½
15. Don Jon (2013) - ★★½
16. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) - ★★★
17. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) - ★★
18. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - ★½
19. 21 Jump Street (2012) - ★★★

TV:

1. Boardwalk Empire (Season 4) - ★★★★
2. Orange is the New Black (Season 1) - ★★★★½
3. The West Wing (Season 1) - ★★★★½
4. Southland (Season 1) - ★★★
5. Southland (Season 2) - ★★★½
6. The West Wing (Season 2) - ★★★★★
7. House of Cards (Season 2) - ★★½
8. Southland (Season 3) - ★★★½
9. White Collar (Season 5) - ★★½
10. Southland (Season 4) - ★★★★
11. The West Wing (Season 3) - ★★★★
12. Modern Family (Season 1) - ★★★★
13. Suits (Season 3) - ★★½
14. The West Wing (Season 4) - ★★★½
15. Modern Family (Season 2) - ★★★½
16. Modern Family (Season 3) - ★★★
17. Justified (Season 5) - ★★★½
18. Luther (Season 3) - ★★★
19. True Detective (Season 1) - ★★★★★
20. Parks and Recreation (Season 6) - ★★★
21. Southland (Season 5) - ★★★★½
22. Arrow (Season 2) - ★★★★½
23. Rectify (Season 1) - ★★★★
24. The Good Wife (Season 5) - ★★★★
25. Modern Family (Season 4) - ★★½
26. Person of Interest (Season 3) - ★★★★

Games:

1. Guacamelee! (2013) - ★★★½
2. Crysis 2 (2011) - ★★★½
3. Alan Wake (2010) - ★★★½
4. Alan Wake's American Nightmare (2012) - ★★½
5. Batman: Arkham City (2011) - ★★★★½
6. South Park: The Stick of Truth (2014) - ★★★★½
7. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (2013) - ★★★½
8. The Swapper (2013) - ★★★★
9. Dark Souls (2011) - ★★★★★

Empty

yay. i'm up for this again.

i was very happy to complete 50/50 this year but i did deliberately read a lot of 100-200 page books to get to the fifty barrier. i don't consider it cheating or anything as it allowed me to sample a bunch of different writers and there's some great short books, but i did avoid some longer books that i wanted to read out of fear that i wouldn't make it. now i know i can do the number with time to spare i'm going to try and change that and read some more ambitious stuff.

i should be fine for the films but definitely going to consider the major/minors too. this month i've started watching every disney animated film chronologically and it's been great so i'd like to do more things like that with directors or styles i'm not that well acquainted with, as well as continuing the disney project into next years challenge.

edit: reserving this for the update post

Empty - 52/50 books | 50/50 movies

Books:

1. the end of the affair by graham greene
2. metroland by julian barnes
3. maurice by e.m forster
4. the dark knight returns by frank miller
5. tenth of december by george saunders
6. what we talk about when we talk about love by raymond carver
7. flashman by george mcdonald fraser
8. the book of sand by jorge luis borges
9. blindness by jose saramago
10. why read the classics by italo calvino
11. the centaur by john updike
12. dear life by alice munro
13. you are not a gadget by jaron lanier
14. frank sinatra has a cold and other essays by gay talese
15. cathedral by raymond carver
16. liars in love by richard yates
17. the moon and sixpence by w. somerset maugham
18. mother night by kurt vonnegut
19. skippy dies by paul murray
20. dubliners by james joyce
21. shortcomings by adrian tomine
22. both flesh and not by david foster wallace
23. about love and other stories by anton chekhov
24. eleanor & park by rainbow rowell
25. cakes and ale by w. somerset maugham
26. the sound of waves by yukio mishima
27. lighter than my shadow by katie green
28. the braindead megaphone by george saunders
29. levels of the game by john mcphee
30. bark by lorrie moore
31. changing my mind: occasional essays by zadie smith
32. fangirl by rainbow rowell
33. travels with my aunt by graham greene
34. habibi by craig thompson
35. the razor's edge by w. somerset maugham
36. a wrinkle in time: the graphic novel by madame l'engle + hope larson
37. runaway by alice munro
38. the prime of ms jean brodie by muriel spark
39. pushman and other stories by yoshihiro tatsumi
40. haroun and the sea of stories by salman rushdie
41. staring at the sun by julian barnes
42. the cuckoo's calling by j.k rowling
43. to the letter: a journey through a vanishing world by simon garfield
44. colourless tsukuru tazak and his years of pilgrimage by haruki murikami
45. seconds by bryan lee o'malley
46. persepolis by marjane satrapi
47. there but for the by ali smith
48. carry on, jeeves by p.g wodehouse
49. v for vendetta by alan moore
50. royal flash by goerge mcdonald fraser
51. the old man and the sea by ernest hemmingway
52. oranges are not the only fruit by jeanette winterson

Movies:

1. blue is the warmest colour
2. the aristocrats
3. from up on poppy hill
4. american hustle
5. the secret life of walter mitty
6. hunger
7. the wolf of wall street
8. me neighbours the yamadas
9. robin hood (1973)
10. inside llwelyn davis
11. the many adventures of winnie the pooh
12. dazed and confused
13. the rescuers
14. the fox and the hound
15. twelve years a slave
16. her
17. the lego movie
18. a serious man
19. the black cauldron
20. only god forgives
21. the spectacular now
22. the grand budapest hotel
23. ernest and celestine
24. veronica mars (2014)
25. the worlds end
26. philomena
27. the act of killing
28. the great mouse detective
29. pochahuntus
30. mulan
31. wild strawberries
32. the past
33. picnic at hanging rock
34. blue velvet
35. the kings of summer
36. ghost in the shell
37. the wind rises
38. the way, way back
39. the hours
40. boyhood
41. frances ha
42. the 400 blows
43. guardians of the galaxy
44. 22 jump street
45. the virgin suicides
46. a most wanted man
47. spring breakers
48. gone girl
49. control
50. captain america the winter soldier

Cyan

Banned

No! This is very important! (in fact, I might suggest making this part more prominent in the OP)

The point of the exercise is to read new books, and watch new movies. That's part of the challenge. It's also what makes it great!

killertofu 3/50 books 50/50 movies

Movies
Sherlock: The Empty Hearse ★★½​
Hiroshima Mon Amour ★★★★½​
The Lone Ranger ★★½​
Spring Breakers ★★★★​
The Shining ★★★½​
American Hustle ★★★​
The Spectacular Now ★★½​
Her ★★★★★​
Rice for Sale ★★★​
The Family ★​
Amelie ★★★½​
Pulp Fiction ★★★½​
Room 234 ★½​
Wolf on Wallstreet ★★★★​
Inside Llewyn Davis ★★★★★​
Rush ★★★​
Taxi Driver ★★★½​
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone ★★½​
Big Trouble in Little China ★★​
300: Rise of an Empire ★★½​
Dallas Buyers Club ★★★½​
The Grand Budapest Hotel ★★★★★​
Frozen ★★★​
Short Term 12 ★★★½​
Under the Skin ★★​
Coneheads ★★★​
Don Jon ★★​
Prisoners ★★★★½​
Slackers ★★★½​
That Awkward Moment - ★★★​
Nebraska - ★★​
Enemy - ★★★​
Godzilla - ★★½​
Punch Drunk Love - ★★½​
The Raid: Redemption - ★★​
X-Men: Days of Future Past - ★★★★​
Being John Malkovich - ★★★★★​
Enter the Void - ★★★★½​
Following - ★★½​
Lego Movie - ★★★★​
There Will Be Blood - ★★★★★​
Books
Screenplay ★★★★½​
Film Club ★★½​
Hiroshima Mon Amour Screenplay ★★½​

DiddyBop

July update!

DiddyBop - 11/50 books | 34/50 movies

Books:

1. The Wind Through the Keyhole
2. The Wealthy Barber
3. World War Z
4. Zombie Survival Guide
5. Millionaire Teacher
6. Think and Grow Rich
7. Brave New World
8. Slowly Getting Up
9. You are NOT what you eat
10. I Am Legend
11.Freakonomics
12. Gone Girl
13. The Martian
14. The Little Book of Common Sense Investing
15. The Big Short

Films:

1.47 Ronin
2.Antiviral
3.Crawlspace
3.Killing Season
4.Paranormal Activity 5
5.Ride Along
6.Anamorph
7.Twixt
8.Oblivion
9. Olympus has Fallen
10.RoboCop
11. Lego: The Movie
12. 300: Rise of an Empire
13. About Last Night
14. Non-stop
15. Only God Forgives
16. The Purge
17. Need for Speed
18. Enemy
19. The Amazing Spider Man
20. Season of the Witch
21. The Grand Budapest Hotel
22. White House Down
23. Sightseers
24. The East
25. Noah
26. In Bruges
27. Trespass
28. Captain America 2
29. The Raid 2
30. The Conspiracy
31. Transcendence
32. Wrath of the Titans
33. Oculus
34. 30 Days of Night
35. Byzantium
36. Under the Skin
37. Godzilla
39. Xmen: Days of Future Past
40. The Other Woman
41. Malificent
42. Passengers
43. Belle
44. Neighbours
45. The Amazing Spider Man 2
46. Edge of Tomorrow
47. Contracted
48. Chef
49. 22 Jump Street
50. Hanna
51. Transformers Age of Extinction
52. Think Like a Man Too
53. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
54. Shame
55. The Purge: Anarchy
56: 13 Assassins

Last edited by DiddyBop; Today at 09:59 AM.

Cyan

Banned
Can we count books that we started reading in 2013 but will finish in 2014?

This is really up to you, but I would say yes. I mean, they're not going to count for the 2013 edition of this, and they ought to count for something!

Nymerio

No! This is very important! (in fact, I might suggest making this part more prominent in the OP)

The point of the exercise is to read new books, and watch new movies. That's part of the challenge. It's also what makes it great!

aCRKfTP.jpg

E: oh, I just saw it's already in the rules.

daffy

Banned
This is really up to you, but I would say yes. I mean, they're not going to count for the 2013 edition of this, and they ought to count for something!
Okay, well count me in. I should be able to do this. :)

daffy - 5/50 Books | 50/50 Movies
Books
  • Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts by Carol Tavris, Elliot Aronson (2007)
  • The Quiet American by Graham Greene (1955)
  • Falling to Earth by Kate Southwood (2013)
  • With or Without You by Domenica Ruta (2013)
  • Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter (2012)
Movies
  • Starlet (2012)
  • Jules and Jim (1962)
  • The World Before Her (2012)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (2011)
  • V/H/S (2012)
  • V/H/S/2 (2013)
  • Drinking Buddies (2013)
  • Butter (2011)
  • Primer (2004)
  • Cutie and the Boxer (2013)
  • A Lonely Place to Die (2011)
  • 5 Centimeters per Second (2007)
  • Harakiri (1962)
  • Perfect Blue (1997)
  • Y tu mamá también (2001)
  • A Cat in Paris (2010)
  • American Hustle (2013)
  • Gasland (2010)
  • Prisoners (2013)
  • Kick-Ass 2 (2013)
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
  • The Spectacular Now (2013)
  • The Act of Killing (2012)
  • American Psycho (2000)
  • Gravity 3D (2013)
  • Dallas Buyers Club (2013)
  • Dogtooth (2009)
  • Blue Jasmine (2013)
  • Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (2013)
  • Captain Phillips (2013)
  • Instructions Not Included (2013)
  • In A World (2013)
  • Splitscreen: A Love Story (2011)
  • Rejected (2000)
  • Citizen Kane (1941)
  • The Imposter (2012)
  • The LEGO Movie (2014)
  • The Evil Dead (1981)
  • Evil Dead II (1987)
  • Evil Dead (2013)
  • Django Unchained (2012)
  • Frozen (2013)
  • Man of Steel (2013)
  • RoboCop (2014)
  • Pacific Rim (2013)
  • Don Jon (2013)
  • Argo (2012)
  • Daisies (1966)
  • All the Boys Are Called Patrick (1957)
  • Pleasure (2013)

January I
January II
February I
February II

SolKane

fuck it, sign me up
tried last year but my new job got in the way :(

SolKane - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

Books

Movies

In for a 3rd year!

2013 final tally

2012 final tally

Maklershed - 53/50 books | 55/50 movies | 18 games

Books
1. The Black Company book 8: She is the Darkness
2. The Black Company book 9: Water Sleeps
3. The Black Company book 10: Soldiers Live
4. Swan Song
5. Dreams from Bunker Hill
6. Isaac's Storm
7. The Associate
8. Count Zero
9. Blood on the Moon
10. Because the Night
11. Suicide Hill
12. Lady in the Lake
13. Post Office
14. To Live and Drink in L.A.
15. Mistborn 3: The Hero of Ages
16. Dust
17. Ancillary Justice
18. The Way of Kings
19. Words of Radiance
20. Game Over, Press Start to Continue: How Nintendo Conquered the World
21. Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919
22. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
23. Cibola Burn
24. Murder by Revolution
25. One Summer: America 1927
26. Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
27. Mr. Mercedes
28. Hardwired
29. California
30. Galveston
31. Drood
32. The Mystery of Edwin Drood
33. The De-Textbook
34. Perfidia
35. Gone Girl
36. Slow Getting Up
37. State of Fear
38. Yellow Crocus
39. Highest Duty
40. Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
41. The Sirens of Titan
42. Dracula
43. The Savage Boy
44. Sharp Objects
45. The Great Gatsby
46. Ask the Dust
47. The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee
48. Ham on Rye
49. Wait Until Spring, Bandini
50. The Road to Los Angeles
51. Annihilation
52. Authority
53. Acceptance

Movies
1. The Third Man
2. Notorious
3. Lethal Weapon
4. Lethal Weapon 2
5. Red Dawn
6. Europa Report
7. Olympus Has Fallen
8. Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters
9. Double Team
10. Volcano
11. Robocop
12. Dark Passage
13. The Crooked Way
14. Beverly Hills Cop
15. The Color of Night
16. American Hustle
17. Akira
18. The Man with the Iron Fists
19. The Place Beyond the Pines
20. Fargo
21. Out of the Furnace
22. Lucy
23. Hard to Kill
24. Above the Law
25. Point Break
26. Fast and Furious 5
27. Fast and Furious 6
28. Marked for Death
29. Beverly Hills Cop II
30. 2 Guns
31. Staying Alive
32. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
33. The Room
34. Enemy of the State
35. 12 Years a Slave
36. Cabin in the Woods
37. Captain Phillips
38. Dallas Buyers Club
39. Lone Survivor
40. Blue Ruin
41. Prohibition part 1
42. Prohibition part 2
43. The Wolf of Wall Street
44. Prohibition part 3
45. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
46. Chelsea Peretti: One of the Greats
47. Hello Ladies the Movie
48. A View to a Kill
49. Die Hard
50. Die Hard 2
51. 47 Ronin
52. Divergent
53. The Lego Movie
54. In a Lonely Place
55. The Searchers

Games
1. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita)
2. Hotline Miami (Vita)
3. God of War: Ascension (PS3)
4. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (360)
5. Guacamelee (Vita)
6. Mark of the Ninja (PC)
7. The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC
8. Homefront
9. Killzone Shadowfall
10. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
11. Wolfenstein New Order
12. Syndicate
13. Splinter Cell: Blacklist
14. Call of Duty: Ghosts
15. Infamous Second Son (Platinum)
16. Killzone Mercenaries
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
18. Destiny

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm in for the books. (subbed)

Usually watch more than 50-100 movies a year so I should be able to manage that one pretty easily.;p

faceless007 - 0/50 books | 6/50 movies

Books

Movies
  1. Sherlock: The Empty Hearse, 1/1, ★★★★
  2. The Wolf of Wall Street, ★★★★½
  3. Sherlock: The Sign of Three, 1/5, ★★★★
  4. Sherlock: His Last Vow, 1/12, ★★★★½
  5. Darkroom, 1/10, ★★
  6. Would You Rather, 1/13, ★★★

(Original post below)

I might try to get in on this, I have a book backlog longer than my games backlog!

That said, I'm a pretty slow reader for anything not on a screen. I used to read books much more quickly but at some point it became much harder for me to just power through them and I don't know why. Anyone have any tips on how to read books faster? I did get a Nook e-reader a while ago but I don't seem to read any faster on it.

(Maybe I'll read a book on the psychology or science of reading to try to figure out what happened.)

Wok

UPDATE

Wok - 2 books | 9 movies | 12 games​

Books
  • —, —, —. (— pages, ISBN-13: —) ★★½
  • Marcel Uderzo, Philippe Zytka, Commando Kieffer : 6 juin 1944, 2012. (48 pages, ISBN-13: 978-2843784378) ★★½
  • Georges Simenon, Liberty Bar, 1932. (187 pages, ISBN-13: 978-2253142522) ★★½

Movies
  • —, —, —. (— h —) ★★½
  • Lisa Azuelos, 14 millions de cris, 2014. (0 h 04) ½
  • Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel, 2014. (1 h 39) ★★★½
  • Scott Balcerek , Free to Play : The Movie, 2014. (1 h 15) ★★
  • Brett Ratner, Tower Heist, 2011. (1 h 44) ★★★
  • Raphael Descraques, Le fantôme de merde, 2014. (0 h 24) ★★★½
  • Bryan Singer, X-Men : Days of Future Past, 2014. (2 h 12) ★★★★
  • Jean Boyer, Le Trou normand, 1952. (1 h 25) ★★½
  • Nicholas Stoller, Neighbors, 2014. (1 h 37) ★★½
  • Christopher Nolan, Interstellar, 2014. (2 h 49) ★½

Games
  • — ★★½
  • Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers ★★★½
  • Nidhogg ★★★★★
  • Tomb Raider ★★★½
  • The Wolf Among Us : Episode 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 ★★★½
  • Freedom Fall ★★★½
  • Major Mayhem ★★★
  • The Walking Dead : Season 2 : Episode 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 ★★★★½
  • Spelunky ★★★★½
  • Kentucky Route Zero : Act 2 / The Entertainment / Act 3 ★★½
  • ibb & obb ★★★½
  • Soul Gambler ★★★
  • Tales from the Borderlands : Episode 1 ★★★★½

For information, my score for 2013 is:
Wok - 10 books | 24 movies | 28 games​

Nezumi

Count me in! Loved the challenge last year. I think this was the first year that I only read books that were new to me ever since the time I started reading. One year and no re-reads which made the challenge easier than I thought. This is going to be different 2014 since I need not only to read Way of King one more time before the second book comes out, but also finally want to finish the Wheel of time series, which also means that I need to read a lot of rather thick books for the second time that I can't count towards my total.
As far as majors and minors are concerned I do want to read more Vonnegut. I also want to read more Japanese books so I guess I should make that at least a minor. And I shouldn't neglect my mother tongue so much, so I'd say that the ocassional German book wouldn't hurt (6+ should be doable).
Not worried about movies, since we normally watch at least 2 per week.

Necrovex

Let's do this:

40/50 books | 50/50 movies

Books:

1) The Quiet American- Graham Greene ★★★★
2) Angels in America Part One- Tony Kushner ★★★★★
3) Angels in America Part Two- Tony Kushner ★★★★★
4/5) The Way of Kings (1,001 pages)- Brandon Sanderson ★★★★★
6) Siddhartha ★★★
7) A Man Without a Country ★★★★★
8) V for Vendetta ★★★
9) Blindness ★★★★
10) Mediations ★★★★★
11) Mother Night ★★★★
12/13) Words of Radiance (1,080 pages) ★★★★★
14) Cat's Cradle ★★
15) Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring ★★★★
16) Gotham Central ★★★★
17) The Big Short ★★★★★
18/19) American Gods (600 pages) ★★★
20) Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers ★★★★
21) A Wizard of Earthsea ★★
22) The Giver ★★★★
23) Astonishing X-men (Whedon's run) ★★★★
24) The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap ★★★★★
25) Walking Dead Compendium 2 ★★★
26) 1Q84 Book One ★★★★
27) Oyasumi PunPun ★★★★★
28) Fables volume 1-6 ★★★★
29) The Strangers ★★★★
30) One Piece 490-597 (Summit War Saga) ★★★★
31) Solanin ★★★★
32) EyeShield 21 1-128 ★★★★
33) 1Q84 Book Two ★★★
34) Wizard's First Rule (First Half): ★
35) I Am Malala ★★★★★
36) The New Jim Crow ★★★★★
37) Preacher ★★★★★
38) Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? ★★★
39) No Future Without Forgiveness ★★★★
40) Inhumans (Marvel Knight Era) ★★★★

Films:

1) Wolf of Wall Street- January 3, ★★★★
2) Lone Survivor- January 4, ★★★
3) Untouchables- January 8, ★★★★
4) Her- January 10 ★★★★★
5) Little Shops of Horror- January 13 ★★★
6) How Video Game Changed the World- January 31, ★★★★
7) The Social Network- ★★★★★
8) Labor Day ★★★
9) Lego Movie ★★★★
10) Three Days to Kill ★★
11) One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island ★★★★
12) The Goofy Movie ★★★
13) Moon ★★★★
14) The Royal Tenenbaums ★★★★★
15) Inside Llewyn Davis ★★★★
16) The Wind Rises ★★★★★
17) Noah ★★★★
18) Captain America: Winter Solider ★★★★
19) Draft Day ★★★
20) Fantastic Mr. Fox ★★★★★
21) Days of Future Past ★★★★★
22) Godzilla (2014) ★★★
23) Edge of Tomorrow ★★★★
24) 21 Jump Street ★★★★
25) Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars/Overture to a New War ★★★★★
26) 22 Jump Street ★★★★
27) Rise of the Planet of the Apes ★★★★
28) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ★★★★
29) Deliver Us From Evil ★★
30) Guardians of the Galaxy ★★★★★
31) World's Greatest Dad ★★★★
32) Scooby Doo and Zombie Island ★★★
33) Fury ★★★
34) John Wick ★★★★
35) Dear White People ★★★★★
36) Gone Girl ★★★★
37) Night Crawler ★★★★
38) Contact ★★★★★
39) Interstellar ★★★★
40) Birdman ★★★★★
41) Big Hero 6 ★★★
42) Inland Empire ★★★★★
43) Waltz with Bashir ★★
44) Mockingjay ★★
45) Mean Girls ★★★★★
46) Hobbit 3 ★★★
47) Die Hard ★★★★★
48) Persona 3 Film 1: ★★★
49) Brick Mansions ★
50) Rocky I ★★★★

Calvero

Banned
This sounds like fun to try! I'm in!

NaotaFakuza - 6/50 Books | 20/50 Movies

Books:

1. Ichigo 100%
  2. Love Hina
  3. Ane Doki
  4. In Cold Blood
  5. Hutsukoi Limited
  6. Slaughterhouse Five
Movies:

1. Love Actually
  2. Safety Not Guaranteed
  3. Kick-Ass 2
  4. We're The Millers
  5. My Rainy Days
  6. Pacific Rim
  7. The World's End
  8. Friends With Kids
  9. TiMER
  10. Duplex
  11. Sherlock: A Study in Pink
  12. Gran Torino
  13. Everybody's Fine
  14. Take This Waltz
  15. Grave of the Fireflies
  16. Drinking Buddies
  17. Regarding Henry
  18. The Cove
  19. Batman Year One
  20. Her
  21. Jack Reacher

Tragicomedy - 56/50 Books | 59/50 Movies

Books

1. Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid's Tale (1985) - 28 Jul, ★★★
  2. Laird Barron - The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All (2013) - 16 Jun, ★★★★
  3. Lois McMaster Bujold - Falling Free (1988) - 12 Jan, ★★★
  4. Lois McMaster Bujold - Shards of Honor (1986) - 15 Feb, ★★★★
  5. Lois McMaster Bujold - Barrayar (1991) - 26 Feb, ★★★★
  6. Lois McMaster Bujold - The Warrior's Apprentice (1986) - 5 Nov, ★★★★
  7. Jim Butcher - Grave Peril (2001) - 20 Apr, ★★★
  8. Jim Butcher - Summer Knight (2002) - 5 May, ★★
  9. Jim Butcher - Death Masks (2003) - 25 Oct, ★★
  10. Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep (1939) - 12 Aug, ★★★
  11. Raymond Chandler - Trouble Is My Business (1950) - 31 Jul, ★★★
  12. Daniel Clowes - Ghost World (1997) - 5 Oct, ★★
  13. Glen Cook - Dreams of Steel (1990) - 15 Jan, ★★★★
  14. Glen Cook - Bleak Seasons (1997) - 1 Feb, ★★
  15. Glen Cook - She Is the Darkness (1998) - 26 May, ★★★★
  16. Glen Cook - Water Sleeps (1999) - 20 Jun, ★★★★
  17. Glen Cook - Soldiers Live (2001) - 6 Jul, ★★★★
  18. James S.A. Corey - The Churn (2014) - 27 May, ★★★★
  19. James S.A. Corey - Cibola Burn (2014) - 18 Jul, ★★★★
  20. Bernard Cornwell - The Winter King (1997) - 30 Jan, ★★★★
  21. Blake Crouch - The Last Town (2014) - 20 Jul, ★★★
  22. Matthew Dicks - Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend (2012) - 11 Sep, ★★
  23. Garth Ennis - The Punisher MAX (2004-2009) - 21 Sep, ★★★★
  24. Ian Fleming - Casino Royale (1953) - 3 Jan, ★★★
  25. Graham Greene - The Quiet American (1956) - 2 Jan, ★★★★
  26. Keith Griffen et al - Annihilation Omnibus (2014) - 30 Apr, ★★★
  27. Dennis Hopeless - Avengers Arena (2012-2013) - 4 Oct, ★★★
  28. Hugh Howey - Dust (2013) - 3 Jan, ★★★★
  29. Hugh Howey - Sand Omnibus (2014) - 4 Jun, ★★★★
  30. Raun K. Kaufman - Autism Breakthrough (2014) - 9 Dec, ★★★★
  31. J.A. Konrath - Whiskey Sour (2004) - 9 Jan, ★★★
  32. Dalai Lama - Book of Wisdom (1997) - 29 May, ★★★★
  33. Lois Lowry - The Giver (1993) - 25 Jul, ★★★
  34. Alistair MacLean - HMS Ulysses (1955) - 6 Jan, ★★★
  35. John Jackson Miller - Star Wars: A New Dawn (2014) - 10 Sep, ★★★
  36. Terry Pratchett - Guards! Guards! (1989) - 20 Aug, ★★★★★
  37. Terry Pratchett - Eric (1990) - 24 Aug, ★★
  38. Terry Pratchett - Moving Pictures (1990) - 3 Dec, ★★
  39. Brandon Sanderson - Infinity Blade: Awakening (2011) - 9 Feb, ★★
  40. Brandon Sanderson - Infinity Blade: Redemption (2013) - 12 Feb, ★★
  41. Brandon Sanderson - Words of Radiance (2014) - 21 Mar, ★★★★★
  42. José Saramago - Blindness (1999) - 7 Feb, ★★★★
  43. John Scalzi - The Ghost Brigades (2006) - 12 Nov, ★★
  44. Scott Snyder - American Vampire (2010-2013) - 22 Mar, ★★★★
  45. Jim Starlin & Keith Giffen - Thanos (2003) - 11 Mar, ★★★
  46. Jeff VanderMeer - Annihilation (2014) - 26 Sep, ★★★★
  47. Jeff VanderMeer - Authority (2014) - 30 Sep, ★★★★
  48. Jeff VanderMeer - Acceptance (2014) - 10 Oct, ★★★★
  49. Brian K. Vaughan - Saga (2012-present) - 9 Oct, ★★★★★
  50. Kurt Vonnegut - Mother Night (1961) - 24 Mar, ★★★★
  51. Mark Waid - Daredevil Vol 3 (2011-2014) - 4 Jul, ★★★★
  52. Andy Weir - The Martian (2014) - 30 Aug, ★★★★
  53. Gene Wolfe - The Claw of the Conciliator (1981) - 30 Mar, ★★★★
  54. Gene Wolfe - The Sword of the Lictor (1982) - 6 Apr, ★★★★
  55. Gene Wolfe - The Citadel of the Autarch (1983) - 16 Apr, ★★★★
  56. Gene Wolfe - The Urth of the New Sun (1987) - 18 May, ★★★★★

Movies
  1. About Time (2013) - 9 Sep, ★★★
  2. American Hustle (2013) - 9 Jan, ★★★★
  3. August: Osage County (2013) - 4 Jul, ★★★★
  4. Adventureland (2009) - 13 Jun, ★★★★
  5. Big Hero 6 (2014) - 9 Nov, ★★★
  6. Blue Streak (1999) - 2 Aug, ★★
  7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) - 24 Aug, ★★★★
  8. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - 21 Nov, ★★★★
  9. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - 27 Oct, ★★★
  10. Ender's Game (2013) - 12 Feb, ★★★★
  11. Frozen (2013) - 5 Apr, ★★
  12. Ghost Rider (2007) - 1 Jun, ★
  13. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011) - 30 Jun, ★
  14. Gravity (2013) - 28 Feb, ★★★★★
  15. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - 7 Aug, ★★★★
  16. John Wick (2014) - 28 Oct, ★★★★
  17. Kick-Ass 2 (2013) - 2 Aug, ★★
  18. Lionheart (1990) - 7 Aug, ★
  19. Lone Survivor (2013) - 16 Jan, ★★★★
  20. Lucy (2014) - 18 Sep, ★★★
  21. Maradona '86 (2014) - 30 Apr, ★★★
  22. No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson (2010) - 4 Jun, ★★★
  23. Noah (2014) - 26 Jul, ★★★★★
  24. Pitch Perfect (2012) - 1 Aug, ★★
  25. Planes: Fire & Rescue (2014) - 23 Aug, ★★
  26. Police Academy (1984) - 6 Jun, ★
  27. Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (1985) - 18 Jun, ★
  28. Police Academy 3: Back in Training (1986) - 19 Jul, ★
  29. Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol (1987) - 26 Jul, ★
  30. Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach (1988) - 12 Oct, ★
  31. Police Academy 6: City Under Siege (1989) - 13 Oct, ★
  32. Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow (1994) - 14 Oct, ★
  33. R.I.P.D. (2013) - 31 Jul, ★★
  34. Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) - 8 Nov, ★★★
  35. Rush (2013) - 31 Jan, ★★★
  36. RV (2006) - 9 Aug, ★★
  37. Sherlock: A Study in Pink (2010) - 1 Jan, ★★★
  38. Sherlock: The Blind Banker (2010) - 2 Jan, ★★★
  39. Sherlock: The Great Game (2010) - 17 Jan, ★★★
  40. Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia (2012) - 22 Jan, ★★★★
  41. Sherlock: The Hounds of Baskerville (2012) - 27 Jan, ★★★
  42. Sherlock: The Reichenbach Fall (2012) - 2 Feb, ★★★★
  43. Sherlock: The Empty Hearse (2014) - 4 Feb, ★★★
  44. Sherlock: The Sign of Three (2014) - 20 Feb, ★★★
  45. Sherlock: His Last Vow (2014) - 8 Mar, ★★★★★
  46. Snowpiercer (2014) - 21 Jul, ★★★
  47. Take Shelter (2011) - 10 Jan, ★★★★
  48. The Boxtrolls (2014) - 4 Oct, ★★
  49. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - 26 Jun, ★★★★
  50. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) - 12 Apr, ★★★★
  51. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) - 7 Mar, ★★★
  52. The Internship (2013) - 29 Jul, ★
  53. The Raid 2 (2014) - 15 Jul, ★★★★★
  54. The Way, Way Back (2013) - 11 May, ★★★
  55. Thor: The Dark World (2013) - 2 Mar, ★★
  56. Twelve Years a Slave (2013) - 25 Mar, ★★★★★
  57. Upstream Color (2013) - 23 Jan, ★★★★★
  58. Wreck-It Ralph (2012) - 23 Jan, ★★
  59. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) - 4 Oct, ★★★

Cyan

Banned
Cyan - 77/50 books | 50/50 movies

Books
  1. The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks
  2. Once a Hero by Elizabeth Moon
  3. Rules of Engagement by Elizabeth Moon
  4. The Quiet American by Graham Greene
  5. Scholar by L.E. Modesitt
  6. Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia
  7. Shadow Runner by Alissa Leonard
  8. Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks
  9. Princeps by L.E. Modesitt
  10. Imager's Battalion by L.E. Modesitt
  11. Antiagon Fire by L.E. Modesitt
  12. The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer
  13. Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon
  14. Banner of the Damned by Sherwood Smith
  15. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
  16. Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer
  17. Wonderland by Kovacs & Liew
  18. Foxglove and Queen Anns Lace by Christy Shorey
  19. Guardian by Jack Campbell
  20. Perilous Shield by Jack Campbell
  21. Top 10 Books 1&2 by Alan Moore
  22. V For Vendetta by Alan Moore
  23. Maus by Art Spiegelman
  24. Ghost World by Daniel Clowes
  25. Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
  26. Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
  27. The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes
  28. The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia McKillip
  29. Heir of Sea and Fire by Patricia McKillip
  30. Harpist in the Wind by Patricia McKillip
  31. Rex Regis by L.E. Modesitt
  32. Carpetbaggers by cofax
  33. Authority by Jeff VanderMeer
  34. Kingdom Come by Ross & Waid
  35. Imager by L.E. Modesitt
  36. Imager's Challenge by L.E. Modesitt
  37. Imager's Intrigue by L.E. Modesitt
  38. Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
  39. Sandman: The Doll's House by Neil Gaiman
  40. 1632 by Eric Flint
  41. Sandman: Dream Country by Neil Gaiman
  42. Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach
  43. Sandman: Seasons of Mist by Neil Gaiman
  44. Sandman: A Game of You by Neil Gaiman
  45. Sandman: Fables and Reflections by Neil Gaiman
  46. Sandman: Brief Lives by Neil Gaiman
  47. Favored of the Gods by Kate Julicher
  48. Sandman: World's End by Neil Gaiman
  49. Sandman: The Kindly Ones by Neil Gaiman
  50. The Art of Description by Mark Doty
  51. Sandman: The Wake by Neil Gaiman
  52. Blood Red by Mercedes Lackey
  53. From Hell by Alan Moore
  54. Nausicaa Vol I by Hayao Miyazaki
  55. Seven Secrets of the Prolific by Hillary Rettig
  56. Nausicaa Vol II by Hayao Miyazaki
  57. Nausicaa Vol III by Hayao Miyazaki
  58. Nausicaa Vol IV by Hayao Miyazaki
  59. Tiassa by Steven Brust
  60. Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett
  61. The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
  62. Divergent by Veronica Roth
  63. Story by Robert McKee
  64. The Martian by Andy Weir
  65. The Old Ways by Robert Macfarlane
  66. Death: High Cost of Living & Time of Your Life by Neil Gaiman
  67. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen I by Alan Moore
  68. The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
  69. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
  70. Half a King by Joe Abercrombie
  71. Hawk by Steven Brust
  72. City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett
  73. Steadfast by Jack Campbell
  74. Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
  75. I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett
  76. Trade Secret by Lee & Miller
  77. Ra by Sam Hughes
  • Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold
  • Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
  • Jhereg by Steven Brust
  • Balance of Trade by Lee & Miller
  • Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith
  • Court Duel by Sherwood Smith
  • The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold

Movies
  1. The Lady Vanishes
  2. Terminator
  3. Her
  4. The Thin Man
  5. The Trip
  6. Frozen
  7. The Third Man
  8. Thor: The Dark World
  9. Captain America: Winter Soldier
  10. The Thief of Bagdad (1940)
  11. Bullitt
  12. The Iron Giant
  13. The Social Network
  14. Master of the House (1925)
  15. Guardians of the Galaxy
  16. The Scarlet Pimpernel
  17. The Prisoner of Zenda (1937)
  18. This is Spinal Tap
  19. Escape From New York
  20. Red Dawn (1980)
  21. The Poseidon Adventure
  22. Robin Hood Men in Tights
  23. Much Ado About Nothing (2013)
  24. Fiddler on the Roof
  25. Ella Enchanted
  26. Sabrina (1954)
  27. Romeo + Juliet
  28. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  29. Koyaanisqatsi
  30. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
  31. Interstellar
  32. Star Wars: The Phantom Edit
  33. La Jetée
  34. Star Wars: Attack of the Phantom
  35. The Gods Must Be Crazy
  36. Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
  37. Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
  38. Catch-22
  39. Adam's Rib
  40. Jane Eyre (1944)
  41. Jaws
  42. King Solomon's Mines (1950)
  43. John Carter
  44. Jesus Christ Superstar
  45. Collateral
  46. Rocky
  47. Comedian
  48. Triumph of the Will
  49. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  50. Jack Reacher
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Whisper of the Heart
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2

In. I'll start devouring on January 1.

Welcome, dear brother!

I'm in again. I'll try to keep up with movies so maybe I'll even manage to go 50/50.

Negative, Ghost Rider!

do i have to start the book in 2014? what if i have one aim halfway though but finish it in 2014 ?

Can we count books that we started reading in 2013 but will finish in 2014?

edit: beaten

The ruling here is if you're under 50% done with the book when the new year hits, finish it up and count it. I'm not telling you to purposefully stop reading at the halfway mark to spring-load a book for the challenge, but that works.

I might try this. I actually looked up all the theatrical releases I saw for the past year...

I watched 33 films that came out this year. It's kind of daunting to think about reading 50 BOOKS. Holy shit.

As a frame of reference, I never read more than 15-20 books in a year before. This year I hit 57 and counting.

I'm in

do research papers count if it is over 100 pages?

Yes! Covered in the FAQ, but that certainly counts. Having said that, I feel for you...zzzzzzzzz. ;p

Nezumi

Nezumi - 40/50 books | 50/50 movies

Books

1. Grendel - John Gardner
  2. Phoenix - Steven Brust
  3. The Iron Jackal - Chris Wooding
  4. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend - Matthew Dick
  5. Shards of Honor - Lois McMaster Bujold
  6. Barrayar - Lois McMaster Bujold
  7. The Warrior's Apprentice - Lois McMaster Bujold
  8. The Quiet American - Graham Greene
  9. My husband's nanowrimo novel
  10. Athyra - Steven Brust
  11. The Kings Blood - Daniel Abraham
  12. The Prophet - Khalil Gibran
  13. The Vor Game - Lois McMaster Bujold
  14. Orca - Steven Brust
  15. Mountains of Mourning - Lois Mcmaster Bujold
  16. Wilhelm Tell - Friedrich Schiller
  17. Words of Radiance - Brandon Sanderson
  18. Faded Steel Heat - Glen Cook
  19. The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
  20. The Tyrant's Law - Daniel Abraham
  21. The Claw of the Conciliator - Gene Wolfe
  22. Red Country - Joe Abercrombie
  23. The Girl who circumnavigated fairyland in a ship of her own making - Catherynne M. Valente
  24. The Black Company - Glen Cook
  25. Shadows Linger - Glen Cook
  26. Cold Days - Jim Butcher
  27. Blood of Elves - Andrzej Sapkowski
  28. Skin Game - Jim Butcher
  29. The White Rose - Glen Cook
  30. The girl who fell beneath fairyland and led the revels there - Catherynne M. Valente
  31. Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) Vol. 1 - Keiichi Sigsawa
  32. Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) Vol. 2 - Keiichi Sigsawa
  33. Times of Contempt - Andrzej Sapkowsk
  34. The Widow's House - Daniel Abraham
  35. Baptism of Fire - Andrzej Sapkowski
  36. The hundred-year-old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared - Jonas Jonason
  37. The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss
  38. Range of Ghosts - Elizabeth Bear
  39. Saga Vol.1-3 - Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
  40. The Habitation of the Blessed - A dirge for Prester John Book 1 - Catherynne M. Valente

Movies
  1. Red Lights (2012)
  2. Jagten (The Hunt) (2012)
  3. The Best Offer (2013)
  4. Treasure Planet (2002)
  5. Dredd (2012)
  6. Fack ju Göhte (2013)
  7. The Place beyond the Pines (2012)
  8. Vargtimmen (The Hour of the Wolf) (1968)
  9. Iron Man 3 (2013)
  10. Elysium (2013)
  11. Once upon a time in the West (1968)
  12. Berserk - Golden Age Arc - The egg of the King (2012)
  13. 11:14 (2003)
  14. 39,90 (2007)
  15. La grande bellezza (The great Beauty) (2013)
  16. Louis C.K. - Chewed Up (2008)
  17. Now you see me (2013)
  18. Snowpiercer (2013)
  19. Lone Ranger (2013)
  20. El Topo (1970)
  21. World War Z (2013)
  22. Frozen (2013)
  23. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
  24. Frauchen und die Deiwelsmilch (2014)
  25. Girl, Interrupted (1999)
  26. Berberian Sound Studio (2012)
  27. Freilaufende Männer (2011)
  28. L’arnacœur (The Heartbreaker) (2010)
  29. Monster's University (2013)
  30. Kick Ass 2 (2013)
  31. Ernest & Celestine (2012)
  32. Catching Fire (2013)
  33. Symbol (2009)
  34. Short Peace (2013)
  35. Why don't you play in hell (2013)
  36. Unforgiven (2013)
  37. Sherlock - The Empty Hearse (2014)
  38. Sherlock - The Sign of Three (2014)
  39. Sherlock - His Last Vow (2014)
  40. Little Children (2006)
  41. Pacific Rim (2013
  42. Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
  43. Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
  44. Wanderlust (2012)
  45. Boardwalk Empire Season 1 (2010)
  46. Game of Thrones Season 3 (2013)
  47. The Congress (2013)
  48. Paul (2011)
  49. The Garden of Words (2013)
  50. Homeland Season 1 (2011)

daffy

Banned
The ruling here is if you're under 50% done with the book when the new year hits, finish it up and count it. I'm not telling you to purposefully stop reading at the halfway mark to spring-load a book for the challenge, but that works.
Ok. I am at 40% right now so I may as well count it.
Cross-posting!

Anyone looking to start out the year on the right foot, hop into the new book club thread. We'll be reading Graham Greene's The Quiet American.
And I'll start reading this in mid january.

demented

Edit: read few more books seen some movies but cba keeping track, don't even remember most movies.
Books:
1. Dracula by Bram Stoker (ashamed to say I started reading this book on 30th January of 2012... and just finished it now)
2. World War Z (audiobook but I'll count it, it's good!)

Movies:
1. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (everything funny was in trailers)
2. The Fifth Estate
3. Muži v naději (good Czech movie, that famous panties gif is from it, google it)
4. Last Vegas (not as bad as I thought)
5. In a World.. (meeeh)
6. The Lego Movie (awesome)
7. Robocop (2014) (glad I didn't have to pay for it, it's meh)
8. American Hustle (great!)
9. Frozen (LET IT GO, I can't because it's an amazing movie :D)
10. Rush (really good)
11. Noah (piece of shit, don't watch)
12. Captain America Winter Soldier (great movie!)
13. Amazing Spider-Man 2 (it was ok)
14. 300: Rise of an Empire (liked it)
15. Godzilla (2014) (liked it more than I expected, could have used more monster fights and less humanity crap)
16. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (was good, expected maybe more but it was good)
17. X-Men: Days Of Future Past (really fucking good)
18. Alan Partridge Alpha Papa (nothing special, meh)
19. Edge of Tomorrow (really liked it!)
20. Maleficient (biggest piece of shit movie)
21. Walk of shame (shit)
22. Transformers: Age of Extinction (shit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom