• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big shipment of PS4 at Target today?

honestly i've been using the system practically every day since Nov. 15. There's still no drought for me. And they just released Don't Starve which I'm enjoying alot. Whenever I'm not gaming on the thing I'm watching other people on it on livestream. Non stop entertainment :)

I am in a drought, but I haven't even picked up Ass Creed, Knack, or Injustice yet. I essentially have Killzone, most of the free games, and PS+ stuff.

Abdiel

I wasn't able to take pictures of both sets of inventory, but I figured I'd share another round of Best Buy numbers for you guys.

PS4 for the Northern MA/NH/VT/ME district = 0 inventory. None. Nothing available.

XB1 Inventory for the same district:

20140111_192449_zps48c14549.jpg

This is just the one district, in addition to now over 6000 XB1 in our local distribution center. I checked one of the Cali districts, their DC had pushing 4000 as well (California has 3 separate DCs, I believe, due to the sheer volume of large cities).

I've been trying to keep watch on PS4 numbers primarily so I can give you guys a heads up, but I know factual evidence on stock for both systems is nice to have. Hope you're having a good weekend!

rokkerkory

Damn X1s are really focused on the 13 territories... Sony has to distribute more around the world.

Happy are those that can pick up a PS4

Codeblew

I am in a drought, but I haven't even picked up Ass Creed, Knack, or Injustice yet. I essentially have Killzone, most of the free games, and PS+ stuff.

AC4 is worth picking up. I hated 2 and 3 but I like this one. Also try Don't Starve on PSN. It is fun if you like that sort of game.

I work in retail, and I'm there first thing in the morning and every morning like clockwork I check our system stock. Never once have I seen a PS4 but I've seen Xbones a plenty. Just my experience.

Darksol

I wasn't able to take pictures of both sets of inventory, but I figured I'd share another round of Best Buy numbers for you guys.

PS4 for the Northern MA/NH/VT/ME district = 0 inventory. None. Nothing available.

This is just the one district, in addition to now over 6000 XB1 in our local distribution center. I checked one of the Cali districts, their DC had pushing 4000 as well (California has 3 separate DCs, I believe, due to the sheer volume of large cities).

I've been trying to keep watch on PS4 numbers primarily so I can give you guys a heads up, but I know factual evidence on stock for both systems is nice to have. Hope you're having a good weekend!

Thanks for the hard data :)

Thanks for making the extra effort to get some more concrete info to us! Can you tell us how much stock of PS4 these districts are getting?

noobie

Banned

Can you give the PS4 picture .. I see XBOX ONE has average weekly sales of ~30 .. just want to compare how it compares to PS4.

So got a day off today from works and called up all major electronics store in sydney and none of them have PS4 in stock but only Xbones are available everywhere. lol

Abdiel

Thanks for making the extra effort to get some more concrete info to us! Can you tell us how much stock of PS4 these districts are getting?

It varies, a bit. Two weeks before Christmas, something like that, my district got just under 900 PS4s, it was a huge shipment. Currently there's orders in for those stores, with between 45-50 for the average store quota, which assumes a smaller shipment size than last time, but potentially more frequent ones?

I've got a few friends playing the waiting game finding out when they're coming in, so I check several times a week, and so far January hasn't seen any major in-stock for PS4s.

To noobie, I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the PS4s, and it isn't going to be accurate for the 'per week' numbers, since there's no consistency for the weekly shipments yet. They come in, and sell out usually within 1-2 hours of store opening. Xboxes are always available now. None of these stores have hit the 0 mark within the last 2-3 weeks.

And I'm happy to keep supplying info where I can.

Funny story. I just returned my ps4 at Best Buy today and the staff was acting like I drove in there with a Lamborghini Diablo. Guy at the front radio'd customer service and I had an extra guy come out to handle my return and then the main store manager came out while telling someone on the phone that they just got a PS4 return in and was disappointed to find out it was opened. When i returned my xbox one a few weeks ago nobody said a thing and when I told the lady why I was returning it I just said "bought it for someone as a gift but they decided to get a ps4 instead" she started laughing saying everyone returning an xbox said the same thing. I guess PS4 is still a hot commodity as far as BB is concerned. Like I said in the other thread though I saw a ton at Costco the other day. This is southwest FL by the way.

I just bought mine at a walmart about two hours ago... last one in the case. Guy said it had been there all day, but at the same time the 'bone section was chock full of green boxes.

¯\(°_o)/¯

_hekk05

Banned
Funny story. I just returned my ps4 at Best Buy today and the staff was acting like I drove in there with a Lamborghini Diablo. Guy at the front radio'd customer service and I had an extra guy come out to handle my return and then the main store manager came out while telling someone on the phone that they just got a PS4 return in and was disappointed to find out it was opened. When i returned my xbox one a few weeks ago nobody said a thing and when I told the lady why I was returning it I just said "bought it for someone as a gift but they decided to get a ps4 instead" she started laughing saying everyone returning an xbox said the same thing. I guess PS4 is still a hot commodity as far as BB is concerned. Like I said in the other thread though I saw a ton at Costco the other day. This is southwest FL by the way.

Is it a thing in the US to impulse buy stuff and then be able to return it for no penalty whatsoever?

Here in Singapore there are no laws mandating returns, but most retailers allow up to a week to return goods for no penalty, with proof of purchase.

We also have lemon laws which state that a full refund, or replacement, or a reduction in price, or any other compensation if the above is more costly than the original price of the product, must occur if the product is defective within 6 months of purchase, as it is then deemed to have a defect on purchase. Exceptions apply for goods with shelf lives lower than 6 months.

This just seems like consumers will buy things, use them for a while, then return them for no penalty just to game the system.

Abdiel

Yeah, that's pretty common. There were people buying Xbox Ones before Christmas just to have a new game system available for Christmas morning, but were planning to return/exchange once PS4s were available. There were also a lot of scalper returns in December... which is why I feel like the sales numbers might not be as accurate as projected by a lot of folks in here, because the week after Christmas, the Best Buy in Nashua took over 50+ returns of X1s, just in the 26th-29th. Some unopened, but others were opened and just returned, which means they still have to be sent back to the manufacturer. There's no reselling consoles once opened.

Wait, why are you returning all your systems?

Wait, why are you returning all your systems?

I might be able to get them at a lower price and i'm also waiting until there is at least one or two worthy games to play on them (I think the PS4 has the most abysmal launch lineup in history and I can only play DR 3 and that glorified Killer Instinct demo so many times)

Is it a thing in the US to impulse buy stuff and then be able to return it for no penalty whatsoever?

Here in Singapore there are no laws mandating returns, but most retailers allow up to a week to return goods for no penalty, with proof of purchase.

We also have lemon laws which state that a full refund, or replacement, or a reduction in price, or any other compensation if the above is more costly than the original price of the product, must occur if the product is defective within 6 months of purchase, as it is then deemed to have a defect on purchase. Exceptions apply for goods with shelf lives lower than 6 months.

This just seems like consumers will buy things, use them for a while, then return them for no penalty just to game the system.

Yes absolutely its a big part of the culture here in the US for better or for worse. Basically most retailers have the standard 30 days to return as long as you have the receipt. Sadly you can't return games once they have been opened although some sneaky people do get around even that. There are also people that will go past the return window and dump there stuff on stores that have more lenient return policies (such as Walmart).

So this is your first console launch ever, right?

The first console I bought at launch was the original Playstation back in 1995. At least that had Ridge Racer, Air Combat and Battle Arena Toshinden. Standout titles that couldn't be played anywhere else. Every system I have ever bought has had at least one big AAA exclusive at launch that got top scores from Rogue Squadron to Super Mario 64 to Halo to SSX to Resistance. This gen has been an incredible disappointment at launch. Even the Vita had Wipeout 2048 and a brand new Uncharted.

darkwing

Yeah, that's pretty common. There were people buying Xbox Ones before Christmas just to have a new game system available for Christmas morning, but were planning to return/exchange once PS4s were available. There were also a lot of scalper returns in December... which is why I feel like the sales numbers might not be as accurate as projected by a lot of folks in here, because the week after Christmas, the Best Buy in Nashua took over 50+ returns of X1s, just in the 26th-29th. Some unopened, but others were opened and just returned, which means they still have to be sent back to the manufacturer. There's no reselling consoles once opened.

Do they adjust sales numbers with the returns?

Bundy

Banned
The first console I bought at launch was the original Playstation back in 1995. At least that had Ridge Racer, Air Combat and Battle Arena Toshinden. Standout titles that couldn't be played anywhere else. Every system I have ever bought has had at least one big AAA exclusive at launch that got top scores from Rogue Squadron to Super Mario 64 to Halo to SSX to Resistance. This gen has been an incredible disappointment at launch. Even the Vita had Wipeout 2048 and a brand new Uncharted.
The VITA had the best launch lineup of any console/handheld ever.
It's ok if you don't like the launch lineup of the PS4 or Xbone.
But the worst ever? As a home console, the PS4/Xbone had the best launch lineup ever.
AAA 3rd Party games (Battlefield, Call of Duty, Assassins's Creed 4, etc.), exclusives as KILLZONE, Forza, Resogun, Dead Rising, etc.

So yeah, it's your opinion. No problem with that.
But I "think" you are 100%ly wrong.

_hekk05

Banned
I might be able to get them at a lower price and i'm also waiting until there is at least one or two worthy games to play on them (I think the PS4 has the most abysmal launch lineup in history and I can only play DR 3 and that glorified Killer Instinct demo so many times)

Lol. Your judgement is just clouded by your last gen backlog. This gen's launch lineup is surprisingly good.

Also, if you're gonna wait for a price drop from Sony or MS, you're gonna have a bad time for at least 2 years. Unless MS decides to throw kinect out the window.

The infamous bundle is confirmed though I think, so you might wanna get that. Not sure about anything else. Probably some savings if you get it during the next holiday season, though you will have to fight with the black friday crowd.

Here in SG a ps4 costs 100 usd more, and a controller costs 10 usd more. Stupid asia tax. We have good trade relations with China, US and Japan, so its just Sony milking us.

NateDrake

Lol. Your judgement is just clouded by your last gen backlog. This gen's launch lineup is surprisingly good.

Also, if you're gonna wait for a price drop from Sony or MS, you're gonna have a bad time for at least 2 years. Unless MS decides to throw kinect out the window.

The infamous bundle is confirmed though I think, so you might wanna get that. Not sure about anything else. Probably some savings if you get it during the next holiday season, though you will have to fight with the black friday crowd.

Here in SG a ps4 costs 100 usd more, and a controller costs 10 usd more. Stupid asia tax. We have good trade relations with China, US and Japan, so its just Sony milking us.
Lack of exclusives and next-gen only games really hurt the PS4/Xbone launch. I don't have a Xbone, but I got a PS4 and, having played games like ACIV, BF4, CoD, etc.. on either PS360 or PC, the PS4 launch didn't offer me much. People in a similar situation may feel that the launch lineup was a little weak.

Luckily for me, I enjoyed Knack and thought KZ was solid enough.

While in the real world nobody cares who publishes what game. Nobody cares that you can play Fifa on ps2, iOS or a million other platforms. Nobody cares that you can play GTA V on more than one platform. None of this affects people's purchases. AssCreed, CoD, BF more popular than any exclusive at launch and arguably any franchise in gaming period.

noobie

Banned
It varies, a bit. Two weeks before Christmas, something like that, my district got just under 900 PS4s, it was a huge shipment. Currently there's orders in for those stores, with between 45-50 for the average store quota, which assumes a smaller shipment size than last time, but potentially more frequent ones?

I've got a few friends playing the waiting game finding out when they're coming in, so I check several times a week, and so far January hasn't seen any major in-stock for PS4s.

To noobie, I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the PS4s, and it isn't going to be accurate for the 'per week' numbers, since there's no consistency for the weekly shipments yet. They come in, and sell out usually within 1-2 hours of store opening. Xboxes are always available now. None of these stores have hit the 0 mark within the last 2-3 weeks.

And I'm happy to keep supplying info where I can.

So the total shipment of PS4 is more than XBOX ONE over the last 2 - 3 weeks.? and total sales of PS4 is outstripping XBOX ONE?

Where i live there is no such as "returning" because i changed my mind, they only accept returns if the product is defective; this applies to everything.

Amir0x

Banned

I wonder if there would ever be a good way to measure what percentage of any launch is dominated by people trying to scalp consoles. I mean, a purchased system even if it ends up in the hands of someone who brutally overpaid for it still counts toward a sales, but if the profit margin dries up and people start returning it, we could perhaps extrapolate exactly what the average percentage is of people who scalp consoles at any given launch.

Launches suck. Best way is always to wait a year before making a purchasing decision. PS4 Recording feature is still wonky as fuck

Too bad I'm a weak fool :(

kirby_fox

Banned
Sounds like Target is likely the place to go. They had PS4s in stock the other day at my local one which was pretty much empty that afternoon.

I've seen a few PS4s in places like Walmart and Meijer too. The bigger stores like Best Buy I haven't seen one in though.

Mikey Jr.

Feels like its less about "People are buying PS4 at huge quantities" and more about "Sony just isn't supplying stores with many PS4".

Amir0x

Banned
Feels like its less about "People are buying PS4 at huge quantities" and more about "Sony just isn't supplying stores with many PS4".

I think we can safely assume, given Sony sold an unprecedented 4.2 million up until December 28 and it's still sold out everywhere, that consumers are ALSO buying PS4 in quantities defined as "as many as Sony can make" :p

I've casually been able to buy PS4s from Amazon several times since launch. Kyle needs to pay more attention.

As someone who had to work for his on Amazon, it wasn't just as easy as just hitting the buy button.

What happened was, Amazon threw up a bunch online and they were gone before the site could be updated. So you'd have it saying some were in stock when they really weren't.

Well, you could get one, but it took lotsa clicking. But it wasn't "casually available". The only time it was? A bit before Christmas, somewhat after, and that's about it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I went for a hike just up the mountains and I was literally tripping over PS4s. And there aren't even any stores around here.

I went for a hike just up the mountains and I was literally tripping over PS4s. And there aren't even any stores around here.

Sony is burying those systems faster than unsold Atari ET carts confirmed.

Sony is doomed. What a disaster of a launch for them.

Top Bottom