• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Exotoro

So apparently there was a supposed leak a while back that had Ashley as an assist trophy. I've gone through it, and while there are some things that I don't like, there is nothing that seems especially unbelievable. Except it has fucking K. Rool, which is craziness.

Posting it here because we have nothing better to do. Bolding some of the spicier bits.

will add this to the site soon

Platy

I love how even the only person in the industry close to Ono troll levels needs to say that she is NOT playable

uHcjHpt.png

@ that "leak" that got Ashley right

I don't think Wario's overalls style will be the default. He'll still have the style, and it probably won't look as half assed as it did in Brawl, but I don't really think they'd use it as the default. Wario Ware is his unique series, separated entirely from Mario, and I think that's how they want Wario portrayed in Smash, as his own series.

Son Of D

Wait, Ashley was in one of the leaks? What's the rest of it?

Rosalina is the only Mario newcomer.
Waluigi and Toad were at once considered, but Waluigi remains an Assist Trophy, and Toad a move for Peach.
Bowser Junior, Paper Mario and Daisy were never considered. Bowser Junior was planned to be an Assist Trophy, but was scrapped.
Fawful is a new Mario Assist Trophy. He acts like Mr. Resetti, but will attack opponents at random.
Diddy Kong will be the next revealed veteran, to coincide with Tropical Freeze’s release date.
Diddy is paired with Dixie Kong as a tag-team, similar to Zelda and Sheik. Dixie has a separate moveset from Diddy, but it’s still being worked on.
King K. Rool is a newcomer, the heaviest character on the roster. He is powerful and can KO light characters with 2 good Smash Attacks. His final smash has him use the blunderbuss and fire cannonballs from the top of the screen while they fly in from the sides as well.
Gangplank Galleon is a stage.
There is a new Zelda character, although it’s kept a secret so far. The names heard most often are Tingle and Ghirahim.
Ganondorf will be buffed, although he still retains some of C. Falcon’s moves. He can equip a sword using his Down Special.
Chrom is a Fire Emblem necomer. He wields the Falchion, and does not replace Ike.
Chrom is expected to be revealed to celebrate the anniversary of the first Fire Emblem.
Lyn’s Assist Trophy from Brawl has been scrapped.
King Gangrel and Aversa are the new Fire Emblem Assist Trophy. Gangrel runs around slicing with his sword, while Aversa flies above using Aversa’s Night. They are the “unexpected” Assist Trophy.
No newcomers for Yoshi or Wario.
Wario’s overalls are now his default attire.
The Kat & Ana Assist Trophy has been scrapped.
Ashley from WarioWare is a new Assist Trophy.
Ridley is a newcomer, and is scaled down a bit. It was a major feat on the development team.
No new Star Fox characters.
Falco is farther away from being a Fox clone.
Wolf is no longer a semi-clone.
Villager has a female costume.
Mr. Resetti returns as an Assist Trophy.
Tom Nook is a new Assist Trophy. He apparently drops bells across the stage, which causes opponents to trip. (Due to Sakurai saying tripping is removed, it’s unknown if forced tripping, like this and Diddy’s bananas will return, or if only accidental tripping is removed.)
Palutena is a newcomer, with her moves based directly off Uprising.
Magnus is a new Assist Trophy, and acts similarly to Little Mac in Brawl.
All Pokemon veterans from Brawl return.
Mewtwo returns.
Mewtwo and Lucario have very different movesets.
No new Kirby characters.
Meta Knight will be revealed sometime in the summer of 2014.
No changes made to the EarthBound series.
All misc. characters return (Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Ice Climbers)
Little Mac is a newcomer. He has the look from the Punch-Out!! reboot for the Wii.
The Male Wii Fit Trainer is indeed an alt. for Wii Fit Trainer.
Wii Fit Trainer has a butt attack. It is replaced by a headbutt for the male costume.
King Hippo is an Assist Trophy.
The Ghosts from Luigi’s Mansion are an Assist Trophy.
Snake returns.
Pac-Man will be the final newcomer. He is a secret character.

All these.

Son Of D

If it's true, then a few things do strike me as a bit odd.

2 new DK characters being included. Not saying that DK's not worthy, just seems odd that it's the only franchise getting 2 newcomers. Then again, with the DKC revival it feels a bit deserved.

No new Pokémon characters at all. Although Mewtwo's return could count, especially if the moveset is changed to be more updated with moves from XY a Mega Mewtwo Final Smash. Plus Jigglypuff's Fairy typing could mean a slight moveset change for her as well.

Wario's overalls being the default. Unless Sakurai wants to represent Land better and give him some moves from that. Or he just wants to use Wario's first design because it was the original.

Sendou

About King K. Rool, might be an end game spoiler of Tropical Freeze.

Sure it could if that list wasn't a complete fake. If you write that long list of shit of course you will get something right. Ashley as Assist Trophy wasn't exactly reaching for stars. Overall that list is very boring and safe.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This is good. Hope it's true.

edit: wait

this is part of that rumor post:

Well, people claimed that it could be a red herring excuse how they got the leaks since you can't really claim that you are a worker or you would get fired for that.

There was also the user called Jonk who talked to NoA about EarthBound not coming but found out about Mother 3 content. Ness hadn't been revealed yet.(?)

Then Megaman discussion got banned from the Dojo thread. For some reason I think sp0rsk had a verified source because he was so sure about it. "Megaman isn't in it so shut up something something"

I'm probably remembering all of these badly so take with a grain of salt. I wish Ridley would get Mega-banned

Don't forget that MarkMan leaked the numbers of characters and stages; along with few hints.

I can't sleep so I made a roster. Who am I missing?

bMjjtK4.png

I don't expect Chibi Robo, Andy, or Pac Man to show up, and I'm uncertain about Ridley, Little Mac, and Mii, but other than that I think the guesses are pretty reasonable.

You put two Olimar in the roster.

Son Of D

Different animations for the alts? That part seems crazier than anything else.

I'm trying to think of any fighters that have done anything like that before. I know Injustice had alternate voice clips for some costumes and I swear one game had alternate victory screens for certain costumes. But I can't think of animation changes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So when they say tag-team for Diddy and Dixie I assume they mean like the DKC games where one character follows the other and they switch who is out in front.

Makes it odd then that they say Sakurai will only reveal Diddy and not Dixie on the same day. It's not like Zelda's transformation where only one is on the screen at a time so they can easily reveal Sheik at a later date.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
So when they say tag-team for Diddy and Dixie I assume they mean like the DKC games where one character follows the other and they switch who is out in front.

Makes it odd then that they say Sakurai will only reveal Diddy and not Dixie on the same day. It's not like Zelda's transformation where only one is on the screen at a time so they can easily reveal Sheik at a later date.

dk_switch.gif

I hope so.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
2. Her eyes are red in all of her official art and games, not black. What a strage fuck up.

Retconned in Game and Wario

m9UOmrM.png

dk_switch.gif

I hope so.
Well if that rumour is true it would be the only acceptable implementation. I mean the systems are more powerful than the GameBoy where they couldn't show two characters in parallel. I mean this rumour would make it as if only one Ice Climber got shown or Olimar without his Pikmin.

emb

I'm gonna go with lucky guess for now.
Yeah, seems like a pretty clear fake. Any list that goes into that much detail about what was and wasn't considered is obviously invalid, imo.

We haven't seen any items on 3DS.
Hopefully neither version actually has items in the final release.

Just kidding. I actually like messing around with assist trophies and pokeballs.

Son Of D

The anniversary of Fire Emblem falls on a Sunday. These leakers should look on a calendar before writing these things.

Not to defend the leak but Chrom could get revealed in a Direct within a few days before/after the anniversary. Dedede was revealed a day before Triple Deluxe's Japanese release for example.

Gartooth

I count all leaks as BS until one of the more "unique" aspects of it turns out to be true. (Ex: Gangrel and Aversa being an Assist Trophy)

Not anymore, I guess.

Oh! meh.
Still, She needs more greyscale in her eyes, she seems completly dead.

Retconned in Game and Wario

m9UOmrM.png

Well if that rumour is true it would be the only acceptable implementation. I mean the systems are more powerful than the GameBoy where they couldn't show two characters in parallel. I mean this rumour would make it as if only one Ice Climber got shown or Olimar without his Pikmin.

This is her new official artwork? Its horrible, what the fuck happened to her yes? Completly black doenst wok for her.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well as I said earlier I'm more likely to consider a long list of things fake than one or two predictions. I mean I could list 30 random predictions now and probably get some of them right. It's why the infamous character leak just before E3 is still the most likely of the lot.

zroid

Banned
I don't find Ashley AT to be particularly difficult to guess so I wouldn't put any stock in that list. Heck, if I were making AT predictions, I'd probably have included her too.

Kjellson

Not to defend the leak but Chrom could get revealed in a Direct within a few days before/after the anniversary. Dedede was revealed a day before Triple Deluxe's Japanese release for example.
Yeah, I guess you're right about that.

Anyway, some of the other stuff on that rumor is so stupid. I don't see Wario having his overalls as his default outfit when WarioWare is so represented in Smash, and that WFT moveset change is the dumbest thing ever.

I really hate the idea of Diddy and Dixie tag team. I can't wait for February when Diddy, and just Diddy gets confirmed so we can get that out of the way.

Yea, the Diddy thing is one of the things on the leak that I don't like. If they add Dixie, I would rather her be her own character and not mucking up Diddy's.

R0ckman

Fuck, that rumor may turn out to be true. The problem I have with the list is that it plays it too safe. The only character it looks like Sakurai added on his own merits is Wii Fit Trainer. It's like most of the list went to pleasing either the most fanatic fanbases in the community or character edits. The assist trophies sound like they were given more care.

You know, about K Rool, I have a theory that the Aztec themed K Rool in Sluggers was a test run or scrapped model of K Rool's appearance in Donkey Kong Country Returns, either as a cameo or as the main villain.

He doesn't have this appearance in any other game, and DKCR has a very Aztec look to the ruins. Sluggers was also released around when the designs for DKCR would have been finalized and work begun.

I don't think Nintendo has forgotten about him, I think they just can't quite find a place to put him where he wouldn't just be DK's version of Bowser.

Masked Man

I said wow
Having Chrom while having Ike just seems like overdoing it on heavy sword people from FE. Anna pls. It's also funny that adding Takamaru, believing that the "new" Zelda character is Impa, and getting over the improbability that is Mike Jones having a spot in this roster makes that particular rumor almost 1:1 with my most recent conservative roster guess:

y u b hatin on teh mother series yo? azure j pls ;_;

Random likely fake character select screen:

9FAHuDB.jpg

I have a hard time believing that Mewtwo would end up as a starting character. (Also, that art looks really bizarre to me--almost like Mew.)

jph139

That character select looks nice... the "solid primary color" style works really well, so I'm hoping they stick with it!

Ashey looks great, very cute. I'm sort of hoping we get another WarioWare rep (Mona, maybe? I'd like Mona), if only because Wario was surprisingly one of my favorites in Brawl. Not a huge fan as a character, but I really liked his janky feel combined with his heavy-hitter-ness. So hopefully whatever other character would have that same quirk.

Top Bottom