• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Gundam Musou is the most disappointing installment in the series thus far

First, apologies if there's an official Shin Gundam Musou thread. I searched but couldn't find any other than a general Dynasty Warriors one which seemed to be focused on DW8.

I started playing Shin Gundam Musou last weekend and was shocked at what a huge downgrade it is from Gundam Musou 3/Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. From the very beginning, after the game installed on my PS3, the first thing I noticed was the complete lack of an intro movie. Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 also lacked one (another rushed cash-in which seemed like it had minimal effort put into it). I left the game on for a few minutes hoping that there would be some sort of cool, epic intro movie like all the previous Gundam Musou games had, but nothing.

The second thing I noticed, after I started playing Official Mode is that a lot of the movies are actually recycled from previous entries! I understand that making new movies to show of the same events from the various series might be a bit excessive so I was willing to forgive this until I realized that the animation stills were actually taken from the various movies, previous games, etc. It's especially noticeable in the Zeta Gundam story mode, where some of the story's animation stills are taken from the TV series and others are taken from the New Translation films, so there's this shocking transition between low-quality '80s TV anime to higher-quality film animation constantly occurring.

I was a bit annoyed by all this, but was willing to excuse it since, again, maybe it wasn't worth doing new CG or animated stills when re-telling stories for the umpteenth time, and I assume that they had to do all new CG cutscenes for Seed and Seed Destiny (not sure because I haven't started those story modes yet). But then...

I started ultimate mode. This, for me, has always been the main attraction in the Gundam Musou games - all the characters crossing over from the various series, interacting with each other (Gundam Musou 3 did this in a particular epic way, dropping you in the middle of the action in a series of action stages and having all the various characters interacting with each other - I still remember Setsuna asking Amuro if he's a member of Celestial Being and where he'd gotten his Gundam, which was pretty frickin' awesome).

Ultimate mode in Shin Gundam Musou does not appear to have any voiced scenes or, for that matter, any animated CG cut scenes! It's all just character stills with no animation, and text overlays. The friendship mode from Gundam Musou 2 and 3 has been apparently removed completely, too.

The game just feels like a very cheap cash-in to squeeze some more money out of consumers near the end of the PS3 generation. From what I've been told ,
they didn't even bother to design a new end boss, it's still just Knight Gundam and the two Musha Gundams from the previous games.
They brought back space battles, but they still feel floaty just like they did in GM1 and 2, which is why they were removed in GM3. They removed the beautiful cel-shading effect which made GM3 the nicest-looking entry in the series. The game no longer even runs as smoothly as previous entries, as I've noticed frame-rate drops and slowdown when there's a lot of enemies and effects onscreen (which now happens more often because they pulled the camera back, I'm assuming because you get to pilot mobile armors in this game).

I'm just terribly disappointed in this game, especially considering that Gundam Musou 3 was my favorite Musou game this past generation.

Oh, yes, before I forget, they actually removed all licensed music from all the series other than the ones featured in official mode! So that means there's no more music from G Gundam (like "Trust You Forever"), Gundam X, etc. To compensate, they've added a feature letting you replace the music with MP3s from your library, so if you're a diehard enough fan to have the official music CDs, you can rip those and put them in the game, otherwise you just play with the generic tracks the game comes with.

So this post doesn't come off as 100% whining, I will say that I liked what they've done with the ranged weapons (the triangle button), which you can now charge by holding the button down. Ranged weapons were a joke in previous Gundam Musou games during combat, but now you'll find yourself using them much more often instead of just relying on beam sabers and the like

hat_hair

Hype killed :(

Most of this sounds like lackluster presentation. Is it fun to play, or are the framerate issues too much of a problem?

A friend of mine who's much farther ahead than me has been complaining about the 8-star difficulty missions. He says that due to the changes in the way ranged weapons work (they can be charged and do much more damage as a consequence), you can now be hit by enemies off-screen and be killed by an opponent that you don't even see. :/

The frame-rate drops and occasional slowdown haven't ruined the gameplay, but they are noticeable compared to how smooth the previous games ran in comparison. I think this might be a consequence of the camera being pulled back in comparison to the previous games which means there's a lot more onscreen, especially the explosions when you destroy an enemy and there's a bunch of chained explosions when the initial destruction destroys all the enemies near the first one.

But overall what hurts the game most IMHO, is how rushed and unpolished the presentation feels compared to previous games. The lack of licensed music from Gundam series. The lack of an opening movie, the recycling of CG cutscenes from previous games as well as the recycling of animated stills...the lack of voiceover and cutscenes in ultimate mode. The fact that they added so much content from Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny (now Kira has three different mobile suits!) but nothing substantial to any of the older series. I suppose if you're a Seed fan, you might be happy because of this. But even in official mode, they actually REMOVED Gundam ZZ's official mode, which existed all the way back in Gundam Musou 1!

The feeling as I've been playing the game hasn't been "Oh, this is awesome" but more like "This just feels so cheap all-around. Like a budget title."

IF your favorite of the series is really 3..

I'll take your opinions with a mountain of salt. I've bought that game 2 times and can't get into that huge downgrade from 2, whose idea was it that lush organic backgrounds were lame and redundant blocked playfields were super awesome. If Shin Gundam Musou ever comes to the US its getting copped by me.

I have a feeling DLC may fill in the mission story modes..but I won't hold my breath.

IF your favorite of the series is really 3..

I'll take your opinions with a mountain of salt. I've bought that game 2 times and can't get into that huge downgrade from 2, whose idea was it that lush organic backgrounds were lame and redundant blocked playfields were super awesome. If Shin Gundam Musou ever comes to the US its getting copped by me.

I have a feeling DLC may fill in the mission story modes..but I won't hold my breath.

I have issues with the stages in 3, but as far as gameplay and fully-featured ultimate mode is concerned, it's much better than 2. 2 introduced some interesting concepts (like the idea of relationships between pilots and building them up), 3 perfected it, and Shin just totally discards it.

The DLC scenarios so far do not add in any story. They're just newly arranged battle scenarios utilizing the same battlefields and mobile suits that are already on the disc.

Even the upcoming DLC isn't particularly interesting. It's cool that we're getting the Crossbone X-1 Kai, but we're also getting the GP03S (so just another MS for Kou instead of Gerbera Tetra and a new pilot, Cima Garahau, as I was hoping) and the Unicorn Full Armor (which isn't particularly exciting to me).

I have issues with the stages in 3, but as far as gameplay and fully-featured ultimate mode is concerned, it's much better than 2. 2 introduced some interesting concepts (like the idea of relationships between pilots and building them up), 3 perfected it, and Shin just totally discards it.

The DLC scenarios so far do not add in any story. They're just newly arranged battle scenarios utilizing the same battlefields and mobile suits that are already on the disc.

Even the upcoming DLC isn't particularly interesting. It's cool that we're getting the Crossbone X-1 Kai, but we're also getting the GP03S (so just another MS for Kou instead of Gerbera Tetra and a new pilot, Cima Garahau, as I was hoping) and the Unicorn Full Armor (which isn't particularly exciting to me).

Maybe i just want something different in a gundam game, as long as i get to kill many enemies in enviroments that recall the series, and relive some of my favorite battles I'm good..shame about the production values taking a nosedive though, I kinda liked taking certain soldiers on sorties with me to increase our friendship, but I'm glad I can at least still take another pilot with me at all..

The battlefields, while they now do resemble the ones in the shows visually, are still much smaller than the ones in GM1 and 2. They're no longer squared off environments, but they're also not the large battlefields from the first two games. They feel very limited in comparison.

The battlefields, while they now do resemble the ones in the shows visually, are still much smaller than the ones in GM1 and 2. They're no longer squared off environments, but they're also not the large battlefields from the first two games. They feel very limited in comparison.

Hmmm, i've held off on watching videos because they put me to sleep, I'd much rather be playing, I'll have to check that out though..

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I've been enjoying this game quite a bit on Vita, but I also previously only played a little of the original Gundam Musou.

Kysen

I bought the Vita version and would have to agree with most of the stuff in the OP. Such a big step down from the last one. The loss of the cell shading is the biggest detractor. Ultimate mode with VN esque junk story inbetween and 2D cutouts suck. So far its taking ages to get new parts and everything seems to be rank E-C. Which means you do very little damage and like the OP said you're better off spamming beams from range.

Performance on Vita is actually pretty good so I can't complain there. At least the game isn't as bad as the grindathon Gundam Breaker. Got burned hard by that game.

matmanx1

Same here, I'm finding the Vita version to be fun and to run pretty well. I'm not too demanding when it comes to Musou games and especially Gundam Musou games and in that respect Shin Gundam Musou delivers.

I did prefer the cel shading in number 3 but that's a fairly small gripe from where I'm sitting. I will probably pick up the English release on the PS3 once it lands since I will have already played the Vita version.

I might have to take the OP with a grain of salt as well. I'll agree that Ken's Rage 2 was a cheap cash in, and FotNS deserves a way better anniversary game.

But DW:G3 being the best in the series? Mechanically and aesthetically it was good, and the story mode wasn't bad but the mission structure was ass. Story missions forcing you to use whatever suit was specified was annoying, but workable. But to unlock all the other missions by killing 1000/multiple uses with ball and other crappy suits was a terrible grind. I used those as a joke, if anything, but after grinding out those missions I was probably officially musou'd out. Almost never wanted to play another musou game again.

Anyways, a friend imported it and said the game was fun. Apparently most MS' have been rebalanced? I haven't chatted with him much about it though so far, he's usually busy playing the game.

Xater

Man that does sound very disappointing. Gundam Musou 3 made my GOTY list that year because it was so much fun. Especially the cross over mode was amazing. Really sucks to hear that they dropped the ball so hard.

I might have to take the OP with a grain of salt as well. I'll agree that Ken's Rage 2 was a cheap cash in, and FotNS deserves a way better anniversary game.

But DW:G3 being the best in the series? Mechanically and aesthetically it was good, and the story mode wasn't bad but the mission structure was ass. Story missions forcing you to use whatever suit was specified was annoying, but workable. But to unlock all the other missions by killing 1000/multiple uses with ball and other crappy suits was a terrible grind. I used those as a joke, if anything, but after grinding out those missions I was probably officially musou'd out. Almost never wanted to play another musou game again.

The mission structure in DWG2 was arguably even worse. Not only did you have pre-requisites to unlock certain missions, but you had to do it over and over again for each character, requiring you to essentially start over every single time you picked a new character! Even worse, you had to build up relationships with every single character (instead of just having one relationship meter with all characters no matter which character you chose), and the relationships would go down if you ever fought and destroyed a MS a specific character was piloting - but since enemies were randomized, you never knew who you'd be fighting against! So, let's say you're trying to build up Amuro's friendship with Seabook, and then Seabook shows up as a random enemy in one of the missions...then you have to actively avoid fighting him and hope one of your computer-controlled allies defeats him, because otherwise his friendship will go down.

And as for the requirements to pilot Ball or Zaku Tank ten times to unlock a particular mission? Those were super-easy and very fast if you just picked a one-on-one mission like the Gundam Fight missions. DWG2 required you to use the Zaku Tank and Ball to unlock certain missions for achievements/trophies (King of Space and Lord of Land, I think they were called), and other mass-produced mobile suits to unlock certain missions as well. So if that is your main complaint regarding DWG3, DWG2 worked very similarly.

The biggest issue I have with DWG3 is the battlefields being arranged into large square rooms instead of the more varied battlefields from DWG1 and 2. I liked the smaller bite-sized battlefields from DWG3, but I wish they'd included the big battlefields (especially the Odessa and Jaburo ones) from the previous games, since they were pretty epic in scope.

For me, so far I rank them: Gundam Musou 3 > Gundam Musou 1 > Gundam Musou 2.

Don't know whether to rank Shin Gundam Musou before or after GM2 because I haven't played it enough, but it reeks of being a cash-in and just recycles too much stuff from previous games without adding enough that is new.

If, like lyte edge, you're skipping from GM1 to SGM, you'll be thrilled at the quantity of the content, because you won't realize the huge leaps and bounds made in GM2 and 3. Especially if you're not a Gundam fan and don't care about the fact that they've removed tons of original music from the game. That they've ruined the story and presentation for crossover mode. That they've essentially removed the whole idea behind building up friendships and replaced it with card collecting (ugh). And that they've blatantly recycled CG cut scenes and animation stills from previous games and from the various TV shows.

And as for the requirements to pilot Ball or Zaku Tank ten times to unlock a particular mission? Those were super-easy and very fast if you just picked a one-on-one mission like the Gundam Fight missions. DWG2 required you to use the Zaku Tank and Ball to unlock certain missions for achievements/trophies (King of Space and Lord of Land, I think they were called), and other mass-produced mobile suits to unlock certain missions as well. So if that is your main complaint regarding DWG3, DWG2 worked very similarly.

The biggest issue I have with DWG3 is the battlefields being arranged into large square rooms instead of the more varied battlefields from DWG1 and 2. I liked the smaller bite-sized battlefields from DWG3, but I wish they'd included the big battlefields (especially the Odessa and Jaburo ones) from the previous games, since they were pretty epic in scope.

Problem wasn't using them 10 times. It was using them 10 times after grinding out 1000 kills with terrible grunt units. And guess what? Co-op kills don't count either so there was no remedy there. Also, I've played the series and although 2 was pretty bad with certain things, I didn't get the same feeling after finishing that as I did 3. I actually find it hard to rank the games because of what each game brings to the table. But in regards to the things they do wrong, I'd say DWG3 left me feeling most disappointed in the end.

Replacing Kamille's english VA in 3 didn't help either. His overblown teen angst provided way too much entertainment.

I wonder why they nerfed beam range from 1-2, and suddenly (apparently) beefed it way up in SGM.

Kysen

Wait till you see the requirements for collecting all the cards for the trophies. That's grind city right there. Using x character multiple times, clearing x mission with a certain character. Kill 5000+ units with a certain suit etc.

Problem wasn't using them 10 times. It was using them 10 times after grinding out 1000 kills with terrible grunt units. And guess what? Co-op kills don't count either so there was no remedy there. Also, I've played the series and although 2 was pretty bad with certain things, I didn't get the same feeling after finishing that as I did 3. I actually find it hard to rank the games because of what each game brings to the table. But in regards to the things they do wrong, I'd say DWG3 left me feeling most disappointed in the end.

Replacing Kamille's english VA in 3 didn't help either. His overblown teen angst provided way too much entertainment.

I wonder why they nerfed beam range from 1-2, and suddenly (apparently) beefed it way up in SGM.

Oh, I never play the games with the dubs since I'm used to the Japanese voices. As soon as I heard Full Frontal's sorry excuse for an English dub voice (seriously, why not just use the same actor who does Char Aznable, for obvious reasons?), I switched to Japanese and never went back.

Wait till you see the requirements for collecting all the cards for the trophies. That's grind city right there. Using x character multiple times, clearing x mission with a certain character. Kill 5000+ units with a certain suit etc.

lol, yeah, the people complaining about the mission requirements in GM3 are going to be driven nuts by the cards in Shin Gundam Musou. As soon as I got my first card, I knew that this was going to be a massive headache. At least this time there are no online trophies, it really sucks when the online community dies and you're just never able to get that particular achievement/trophy in a game.

Oh, I never play the games with the dubs since I'm used to the Japanese voices. As soon as I heard Full Frontal's sorry excuse for an English dub voice (seriously, why not just use the same actor who does Char Aznable, for obvious reasons?), I switched to Japanese and never went back.

Yes, Frontal's VA was pretty terrible. Actually the whole english track wasn't too great, I spent time switching between english and japanese for some variety.

You know, I probably wouldn't even bother with trophies at that point. It's about as dumb as WO2's proficiency grind. Maybe it was made by the same team that had that genius idea? lol.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is a real drag. I thought Gundam Musou 3 was awesome. From what I had seen of Shin, it seemed to be a real rush job.

Kysen

I can't stand any of the older gundam series especially zeta/char stuff so forcing me to use those suits/characters is a non starter.

I can't stand any of the older gundam series especially zeta/char stuff so forcing me to use those suits/characters is a non starter.

All the Gundam Musou games force you to do that to some extent if you want to complete everything. Nature of the beast, since those are the most popular series along with Seed.

i've only played 1 and 2, prefered 1 can't remember why, i think it was to do with mission mode? being rather repetitive in 2. Is 3 worth playing? is this?

i thought GM3 was a huge disappointment compared to GM2. liking SGM especially the new upgrade system. also different skill lists for each pilot is something that should have been in the series since the beginning.

lol, yeah, the people complaining about the mission requirements in GM3 are going to be driven nuts by the cards in Shin Gundam Musou. As soon as I got my first card, I knew that this was going to be a massive headache. At least this time there are no online trophies, it really sucks when the online community dies and you're just never able to get that particular achievement/trophy in a game.

actually the grinding is reduced dramatically from the card system. grunt suits only need 2500 kills to unlock the S-rank card and with the new charge shot that's around 3 stages. by pairing up different pilots in different suits a player can get cards for suit/pilot kills, suit/pilot uses all at the same time.

you can heal AI teammates this time which makes things a lot more interesting, completing the random objectives to gain more allies can really turn things around when using un-upgraded suits.

sensui-tomo

sad to hear about some of the changes, was actually looking forward to this title(if koei/namcobandai ever localized it). if it does get localized i'll wait for that $30 mark.. or just get dw3 gundam (havent played since 2)

Dram

I've only enjoyed the first one out of all of them. The series just seems to get worse with each installment, especially when it comes to the original campaign mode.

Well I'm really enjoying it on the Vita, but then I've not played any of the other games (beyond a demo on the 360 years ago).

I guess this is just more proof that I have terrible taste :)

Well thats sad to hear. Playing through Gundam 3 right now in anticipation for this game.

Will wait for a price drop before buying it here I guess. Will play Full Boost in the mean time for my Gundam Fix.

Noi

Reading that they finally dropped the Friendship nonsense alone makes me want to get the game. It was awful in 2 and less awful in 3, but still boring to do and not at all fun.

Reading that they finally dropped the Friendship nonsense alone makes me want to get the game. It was awful in 2 and less awful in 3, but still boring to do and not at all fun.

The problem is that the systems they've replaced it with aren't all that great. There's the card system which you have to go through to get pilots, mobile suits, and partners in battle (for example, use a particular suit 10 times to get it, then several more times to open A-rank plans for it, then several more times to get S-rank suits; do a particular mission and get a certain rank medal on that mission to open up a particular character, etc.). So some missions have to be played three time to unlock everything (others, like the ones where you just have to finish within five minutes or destroying 1500 enemy suits to get gold, you can just do once to unlock all medals in one go).

Also, now each character has his/her own individual skills, so you can't really build up or customize your favorite pilot like you could in previous games, which is really unfortunate. The weaker characters will always be weaker because they won't get the best skills, and some of the skill placements have made me scratch my head, because they seem fairly random (non-ZZ characters getting the Shangri-La skill, non-Turn A characters getting the Moonrace skill, etc.).

They have added a lot of SEED content, so if you're a fan of that particular universe (I'm not) you will be pleased that Seed characters get multiple suits to play around in, but even with the new suits, things still feel a bit cheap/rushed. For example, the Geara Zulu grunts are actually just recolored Angelo Sauper Geara Zulu Customs (the one with those two huge...fuel tanks?...on the back) instead of the normal Geara Zulu grunts. The enemy Gundams from Seed and Destiny (the ones piloted by the trio of junkies/psychos/whatever the were) aren't class-1 units, even though they're Gundams.

The Unicorn official mode storyline doesn't conclude (the ending battle was featured in DWG3, cut from SGM), and they don't even include the Jesta grunt unit (replaced by Re-GZ in the story), the ReZEL, or the Shamblo as a mobile armor boss.

I'm just hugely disappointed all around.

Yeah, this is pretty lame. It's a quick cash-in for the next big game in the series (likely on PS4).

Yes, that's really what it feels like. Recycled cut-scenes, recycled animation stills from the TV shows, movies, the only real new content being SEED stuff to hook in fans due to the anniversary, NO Gundam Age content, NO Build Fighters content, apparently no new 00 content aside from the DLC Quanta, 8th MS Team and 0080 are still MIA (though I think the GM Command was from 0080?), there are still characters like Cecily Fairchild who are stuck piloting suits other than the ones they piloted in their actual movies/series. :/ :\ :/

Top Bottom